Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

Joink posted:

Trade for better gear or take any random white drop that has the sockets you need and alch it.

The problem is people expect to get like 4 chaos for their dumb level 35 cloth boot with 2 blue sockets, some item rarity and movespeed :argh:

Once the game lets me log in again I'll try rolling my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodhouse
Aug 1, 2010

Tell me, Aldo, if I were sitting where you're sitting, would you show me mercy?
Whelp, HC witch hit 5 and servers crash.

Hope she's alive. :f5h:

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

trias_e posted:

I really enjoy my Blood Magic/Iron Reflexes/Unwavering Stance cleave/leapslam/flicker strike 2h Duelist. Combat feels pretty good to me most of the time (sans desyncs). Scary to play in HC though, especially at that point I'm at (level 50, waterfall cave, 2nd difficulty). Even with 1700 life and 60+ resists it requires you to be paying very, very close attention to stay alive.

This is the same build as my own, except i've just finished act 3 normal at lv 35, and i'm much lower on resists. I use infernal blow/flicker primarily, and a regen totem that makes a world of difference. Glad to see i'm not the only duelist using 2h, in my case, maces. Looks like you're using a sword for cleave?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

I'm having a really hard time finding gear upgrades. I'm about halfway through Act 1 on Cruel and I'm still mostly using gear I found in Act 1 and 2 normal, because nothing with better stats and acceptable sockets/links has dropped.

Am I just unlucky or is it expected that I'm constantly rolling my own gear through orbs? I've been mostly saving them for trading purposes.

You should be making your own gear. Get a normal item with slots you like, boost it up to 20% quality with whetstones/scraps, enchant it and reroll the enchantments until you get the ones you want. If you collect superior quality drops you can sell them, selling armour with a total quality of 40% gets you a blacksmith's scrap and weapons with a total 40% gets you a whetstone. A friend of mine showed me how to do it, its really useful for getting the equipment you want. When you're increasing quality you want to do it on a normal item because using one whetstone/scrap will increase quality by 5%, but they add less quality to enchanted items and rare items so you end up wasting more of them. If you've gotten that far in the game you've probably got a lot of other useful orbs that let you mess with sockets and other poo poo, so you should have enough to make yourself some nice gear.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Woodhouse posted:

Whelp, HC witch hit 5 and servers crash.

Hope she's alive. :f5h:

Level 5 takes almost no time to get to though...

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

What are the minimum specs for this game? I've got a pretty mediocre laptop and I'm not expecting anything to wow or dazzle me, but I'd love to be able to play this even if I have to set all the graphics to minimum.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

Requested_Username posted:

What are the minimum specs for this game? I've got a pretty mediocre laptop and I'm not expecting anything to wow or dazzle me, but I'd love to be able to play this even if I have to set all the graphics to minimum.

"Path of Exile is designed to run on a huge variety of systems, from an everyday laptop to a top of the line gaming rig. Our detailed art is designed to not only look great, but also reveal additional detail as the resolution is increased to the maximum of 2560x1600. Exact system requirements will be determined closer to release.

At the moment, you will need a Graphics Card with Pixel Shader 3.0 or higher, and a CPU that supports SSE2. At least 2GB of RAM is recommended, and older Integrated Graphics Cards will not run well."

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Considering the game chokes my desktop any time I do anything while it's loading and eats up about a 1.5 GB of my memory, it's probably not going to run well on most laptops.

Looking at their description is pretty goofy, because I'm almost certain the typical 'everyday laptop' has integrated graphics.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

10bux posted:

"Path of Exile is designed to run on a huge variety of systems, from an everyday laptop to a top of the line gaming rig. Our detailed art is designed to not only look great, but also reveal additional detail as the resolution is increased to the maximum of 2560x1600. Exact system requirements will be determined closer to release.

At the moment, you will need a Graphics Card with Pixel Shader 3.0 or higher, and a CPU that supports SSE2. At least 2GB of RAM is recommended, and older Integrated Graphics Cards will not run well."

It seems to run just fine at 5760x1200 across 3 monitors it also gives you a MASSIVE view range you can see pretty much the entire Act1 town. It pretty much breaks outside zones, and the FoV is rather hosed up, it could be because I didn't set up my monitors to be used as 1 display and they curve a bit, its also kinda unplayable since I can't see my HP and mana, but if I could get them on the center screen the extra range would be amazing.

Warning these are fuckoff huge, and imggur resized them a bit.
If anyone cares Town (The long distances to travel makes stashing a pain in the rear end)

Chilling around some mobs outside of aggro range.

(My character model didn't load so you just see floating armor in the images).

I'm not sure if I should be able to do this, I can see way too much. I'm also not on anything super fancy, its only a single videocard. (AMD 6850HD)So the game should play really nice on even garbage hardware if I can run it max settings across 3 1080 screens and still get 45FPS.

I normally only play on a single monitor I just wanted to see how this handled.

edit: RAM is probably going to be an issue if you are on an old laptop this is using 2.2GB across 3 monitors, 1 usually uses 1.1. RAM is so cheap I've just stopped thinking about it as a limiting factor for a single program. Seriously though any system built in the last few years should have 4GB easily.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 31, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The game is real strange because it runs fine most of the time and then in certain areas it chugs harder than a 486. Especially the act 3 sewer areas.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I have no clue about trading. Im trying to trade for a +life on hit support gem. Someone is asking for 1 orb of scouring + 1 orb of fusing from me. Is that fair?

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I'm not a trading expert, but you can get the base life on hit gem from the Merveil quest on normal, so I can't imagine they're all that valuable. People who trade, feel free to tell me otherwise, I've never opened the trade chat.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

The game is real strange because it runs fine most of the time and then in certain areas it chugs harder than a 486. Especially the act 3 sewer areas.

This normally isn't you, if the server is lagging you can turn off vsync and low everything to minimum and get 300FPS or more and it will still look like a slide show. It seems to get some animation data from the server for some reason (probably multiplayer stuff or something who knows). If the server is chugging you'll get massive looking lag even when its not. Act 3 is not very well optimized yet since it recently came out, some areas work fine when the servers aren't stressed. I'm pretty sure most of the server crashes are actually related to Act3 instances being spammed while having some memory leaks or whatever.

The servers were completely solid until people started to reach act 3, the more people that did the worse it got. Basically even if you are in Act1 it can lag if the hardware you happen to connect to is also running an A3 instance for someone else and doing whatever A3 causes.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
*Edited out bad advice*

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

It seems like the hybrid classes are the best. I like melee but want to cast spells sometimes so being a templar owns.

Maybe I'm just missing the fun of the pure classes?

or do they each just get more focus on particular areas.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Wow gently caress Barracks on Cruel. I keep getting killed by offscreen mages, even after adding lightning resist.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

chunkles posted:

Wow gently caress Barracks on Cruel. I keep getting killed by offscreen mages, even after adding lightning resist.

I think they do chaos damage which is why it probably evaporated you, unless you weren't close to cap. You really need resists for anything that can hit you in an area to be 55+, which generally just ends up with you getting tons of resist gear and just running around with 55%+ in everything and doing a ring swap to cap for bosses or harder areas.

Remember +all element resists does increase chaos resist!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
No, I'm pretty sure they only do Lightning damage. I had some problems with them as well, but nothing some good ole' fashioned skeleton totem spam couldn't handle.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sylink posted:

It seems like the hybrid classes are the best. I like melee but want to cast spells sometimes so being a templar owns.

Maybe I'm just missing the fun of the pure classes?

or do they each just get more focus on particular areas.

It matters less than you might think. The only difference between the characters is where they start on the grid, what they look like, and some of the quest rewards (I think?) After a certain point, you are going to get your little line of passive skill picks out into the main lanes of the web, and at that point the distinctions get pretty blurred. There is nothing at all stopping you from navigating right up into one of the other classes' starting areas if you are so inclined. Having said that, some builds are easier to make when starting from certain spots on the web.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Megasabin posted:

I have no clue about trading. Im trying to trade for a +life on hit support gem. Someone is asking for 1 orb of scouring + 1 orb of fusing from me. Is that fair?

A bit high on the scale, but not ridiculous. I've had people try to shake me down for way more than that for similar gems. Whats weird about the fusing orbs is that while very tedious to farm it is doable, which makes them pretty undervalued at the moment even though in principle they're just as useful as alchemy orbs.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Underwhelmed posted:

It matters less than you might think. The only difference between the characters is where they start on the grid, what they look like, and some of the quest rewards (I think?) After a certain point, you are going to get your little line of passive skill picks out into the main lanes of the web, and at that point the distinctions get pretty blurred. There is nothing at all stopping you from navigating right up into one of the other classes' starting areas if you are so inclined. Having said that, some builds are easier to make when starting from certain spots on the web.

Characters also get stat growth per level of the stats they're based around, e.g. +2 int per level for witches, +1 int +1 dex for shadows.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Yah the connected skills was confusing me a bit, but I didn't realize the stats were linked to the class, so that helps a lot. Thanks!

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

pixaal posted:

I think they do chaos damage which is why it probably evaporated you, unless you weren't close to cap. You really need resists for anything that can hit you in an area to be 55+, which generally just ends up with you getting tons of resist gear and just running around with 55%+ in everything and doing a ring swap to cap for bosses or harder areas.

Remember +all element resists does increase chaos resist!

I'm pretty sure + all resistance doesn't include chaos resist.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

How do people feel about the microtransactions ?

I've never been afraid to spend money on them but I just can't see any reason to with this game which makes me wonder how financially viable their current model is going to be going forward, I know they did pretty well in closed beta but there was a lot more incentive then.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

quote:

Chaos resistance is now available on item mods and on the passive tree. It is not included in the "All Elemental Resistances" mod.

According to the 10.0 patch notes.

Sendo posted:

I've never been afraid to spend money on them but I just can't see any reason to with this game which makes me wonder how financially viable their current model is going to be going forward, I know they did pretty well in closed beta but there was a lot more incentive then.

They're probably going to print money as long as they keep adding a steady stream of them. Though they'd probably make a lot more if they lowered the prices of some of the weapon effects. Getting a bunch of people to impulse buy weapon effects for $3 would work a lot better than banking on a few guys to buy $20 ones.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Bought stash tabs for dollars. I think over 1000 people bought the design a unique thing in closed beta. I don't think they are worried about making a profit.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Sendo posted:

I spent my $15 worth on extra stash tabs because I have a hoarding problem. I would have liked to see them offering re-spec tokens for money but I know thats a touchy issue with a lot of people who think it would make the game less "hardcore" (similar to instanced loot), so I wont go there.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 31, 2013

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DemonMage posted:

According to the 10.0 patch notes.

Well the +11% all resists ring and the node I picked up increased it on the character sheet when I tested it a few days ago (which is a few patched ago :v:)

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Are they going to add any character customization stuff? It would be nice change the overall model look.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Chaos Resist is also pretty good because it seems to be worth a ton to the system, giving alchemy shards on every piece I've found with it.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

Count Uvula posted:

Characters also get stat growth per level of the stats they're based around, e.g. +2 int per level for witches, +1 int +1 dex for shadows.

There is no natural stat growth. The only stats you get are from stat nodes or gear.

pixaal posted:

Well the +11% all resists ring and the node I picked up increased it on the character sheet when I tested it a few days ago (which is a few patched ago :v:)

I just checked with a prismatic ring with +% all resists mod. Chaos resist is not included either on the mod or the implicit value.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Sylink posted:

Are they going to add any character customization stuff? It would be nice change the overall model look.

Some employee said they were toying with the idea of opposite sex characters but if they were going to do it it would take a lot of work and time. I would definitely buy a male witch and female marauder though.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Vizrt posted:

I just checked with a prismatic ring with +% all resists mod. Chaos resist is not included either on the mod or the implicit value.

Well I guess I was mistaken, or there was a UI bug that has been fixed. Thank you for correcting me. Sorry for spreading miss-information. I would have double checked myself but I don't have any characters left alive with prismatic rings. Lost one to Brutus because I didn't have high enough armor by a long shot and thought I'd give him a try. My next guy died me clicking the edge of the window stretching it slightly resizing it and causing my client to lock up mid battle.

Both stupid deaths, but because of them I had no way to check. I was actually going to base my build around picking up +all res nodes so its a good thing I found out now while picking up non chaos defenses. (Chaos is kinda unneeded on normal difficulty)

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Does chaos resist work against poison?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Mr.48 posted:

Does chaos resist work against poison?

That is chaos damage, so yeah.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is it rare for the store to sell an orb of regret? I've heard they are super rare. My store is currently selling one for 2 orbs of scouring in act II normal.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Megasabin posted:

Is it rare for the store to sell an orb of regret? I've heard they are super rare. My store is currently selling one for 2 orbs of scouring in act II normal.

The store sells them starting from act 2, yeah. The problem is getting the Scouring orbs to trade for them. They're not hard to get a hold of, they're (kind of) hard to trade up for.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

Megasabin posted:

These are currencies transactions that are always available through the vendor. Wiki is down right now, but I'm fairly certain you can start from scrolls and upgrade all the way to regrets/alcs.

e: back up http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Currency scroll down to "Vendor prices chart"
e2: I guess I should also say for anyone new that use this chart as well https://www.poeex.info. Meaning don't trade your regret for an alc, and certainly don't trade a fusing for a chance. You're better off making these trades with players than the vendor. Everything else is fine though if you have tons of lower currency orbs you want to get rid of.

10bux fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 31, 2013

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

10bux posted:

These are currencies transactions that are always available through the vendor. Wiki is down right now, but I'm fairly certain you can start from scrolls and upgrade all the way to regrets/alcs.

Many of the trades from venders are worse then players will pay, and I'm not positive alchs are offered. That said you can get them by getting 3 of the same item 1 rare 1 blue and 1 white all with 20% quality, so you can use just about anything to get the armor scraps and whetstones needed by buying any +quality item and crafting them (you can also buy them I think) it's kind of a bitch. I normally start an alch craft with a 5+ quality rare I find or a 16+ quality blue, each upgrade is +1 rare +2 magic +5 white. You will blow through them fast if you don't restrict what sets you are working on (not to mention stash space, oh god).

Oh never ID these items, you get 2 if none are IDed, you only get 1 if any of the items involved have been IDed.

You can also get 3 of the same "rare name" rares and turn them in, but that needs so much stash space its hilarious. (Say you have a rare that is "Soul Bane Nailed Fist" the rare name is "Soul Bane" and the item is "Nailed Fist" you don't care about the Nailed Fist, you only care about rolling the exact same mods on the item. Basically gently caress that poo poo. Even if you had unlimited stash space this would be so hard to keep track of without make a tab for each name (and there are dozens if not hundreds of combos) with the list growing, so don't use that recipe.

Since you need 20% quality, feel free to ID any rares you are going to chuck, maybe have a few tabs and if you luck out and get 2 of the same hold on to them I guess if that's your thing(2 get you a chance orb, but alch is worth more then that). Vending unIDed rares that aren't part of a recipe is rather stupid since you get a ton more out of it most of the time (what you get is based on mods) you might luck out and get a nice alch shard. Weapons have a more mods that can roll alch shards so never vender an unIDed rare weapon, and try not to hold on to lower + quality unIDed rares, not only are you more likely to get part of an alch, whetstones are a good bit rarer then armor scraps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Every time I'm about to make a character, servers go down. Since I have to go to work now anyways, I was wondering if anyone could post a quick rough draft of a summon-int based templar with energy shield. I'm not used enough to the game to "get" exactly how I should move around sphere grid, but if someone could whip a little something together, or even suggest anything to throw on top/around that, it'll at least give me something of a map to follow early on until I get more used to stuff.

• Locked thread