Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
loving hell this game is great fun. That's my review out of the way so here is my burning question:

Why is the same map flipped 45 degrees when I visit it again later? is it just a random feature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Mr Cuddles posted:

loving hell this game is great fun. That's my review out of the way so here is my burning question:

Why is the same map flipped 45 degrees when I visit it again later? is it just a random feature?

Instance reset. Happens after it's been abandoned for 8-15 minutes.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Mr Cuddles posted:

It's a randomly generated map.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I do wish the maps had a few more minutes before reset. It's really painful when you either die at a boss in a deep dungeon and have to redo it, and/or you get a bad lagspike and have to reconnect, forcing you to do it again. Blegh.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Dragongem posted:

I do wish the maps had a few more minutes before reset. It's really painful when you either die at a boss in a deep dungeon and have to redo it, and/or you get a bad lagspike and have to reconnect, forcing you to do it again. Blegh.

The worst is when you portal back to town near the end of a difficult area and spend a few minutes organizing your stash, only to realize your portal has disappeared. I wouldn't be so annoyed if it wasn't my fault :(

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Is it possible to break existing skill paths? I have 5 str nodes which I could switch into only 2 with better pathing, but behind them are a few clusters of already taken skills.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

bbcisdabomb posted:

The worst is when you portal back to town near the end of a difficult area and spend a few minutes organizing your stash, only to realize your portal has disappeared. I wouldn't be so annoyed if it wasn't my fault :(

This happened to me yesterday. Go to Merevil, decided I should hit up Cliffs to buff. Cleared itup, got back into town, saw my portal was still up, sold stuff, portal gone. :argh:

edit:

Ihmemies posted:

Is it possible to break existing skill paths? I have 5 str nodes which I could switch into only 2 with better pathing, but behind them are a few clusters of already taken skills.

sentrygun posted:

You have to clear out every skill in front of the node you want to clear. If you connected to the nodes you're getting to via a different path so that you'd have access to those even if you break the longer path, you'd be fine. If not, you're gonna need more respec points.

Or to put it another way: you can't leave any islands. There has to be a contiguous line between all of the nodes you've picked up and your character's starting point. If you can remove the skill and still have this be true, you can refund it, otherwise you can't.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 1, 2013

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Ihmemies posted:

You have to clear out every skill in front of the node you want to clear. If you connected to the nodes you're getting to via a different path so that you'd have access to those even if you break the longer path, you'd be fine. If not, you're gonna need more respec points.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

sentrygun posted:

Ffuuu, so I need to grind 7 levels to fix one of my mistakes. I was hoping that the skills would just be inactive or something, oh well. I can't respec the 15+ perfectly good skills behind some bad pathing :P

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
Man is this game ever scratching an itch, but in the latter half of Act 2 normal my sword/board/spell/whatever Templar's DPS isn't cutting it anymore, and every time I find myself going strength and damage passives I find I'm low on mana or defense or resists. For the most part it's been easy going but I've felt fragile (which is fine, damage seems to work a lot like in D2). Also I hate the now constant feeling of being overstretched on the skill tree, but it is really time to get some shield points invested...

The Chambers of Sin weren't so bad but there were a lot of close calls with the sparking mages, then I accidentally sequence broke into Kraitlyn's camp and felt like a sluggish fragile turd... those goddamn archers. I have a feeling my first character is going to be abandoned somewhere in Cruel, maybe earlier if I keep loving up, and stripped for useful skills and equipment.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Ffuuu, so I need to grind 7 levels to fix one of my mistakes. I was hoping that the skills would just be inactive or something, oh well. I can't respec the 15+ perfectly good skills behind some bad pathing :P

Not nessecarily.

You said you had a 5 node path that could be a 2 node path. Just take the next 2 levels to build the 2 node path then you can safely remove the 5 node path.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

Mr Cuddles posted:

You may already know this because it's been posted a few times, but ctrl-clicking on waypoints or the entrance to a map will give you the option to reset the instance. Its good for grinding and has also saved my group some grief (resetting the ancient pyramid to kill Vaal again when a friend died and missed the killing blow, it was nice not having to hit the waterfall cave again as well.)

Divine Disclaimer
Jan 24, 2013

by T. Finninho
I doubt I'll be able to solo the boss Merevil, but I'm doing find on the beaches of merciless with my first witch alone. The risk of death at this point is high to the point where it's always pretty nerve-wracking though. A second ago I alt-tabbed. Doesn't take that long for the zombies to rip your face off in this game. It doesn't feel like the mind-melting impossible difficulty of Inferno (IE gear check 100%), but it's not a cakewalk.

Inf anyone has any Witch items they want to trade for that legendary I posted (or any item I ever post) just offer. If anyone needs a rare low-level wand I have some unimpressive ones I used leveling up that are free. MorganaMorgose ingame.

Divine Disclaimer fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 2, 2013

GIMMEL
Jan 24, 2005

by Lowtax
Is faster attacks something I can find in a quest or is it dropped? Really need that sucker.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

GIMMEL posted:

Is faster attacks something I can find in a quest or is it dropped? Really need that sucker.

Looks like it isn't hadned out as a quest reward till Cruel according to the quest rewards on the wiki.

CzarStark
Dec 23, 2007

by R. Guyovich
For the Bandit quest, is there a consensus on "best" choice? I'm really debating between the passive point and the 8% all resist.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

CzarStark posted:

For the Bandit quest, is there a consensus on "best" choice? I'm really debating between the passive point and the 8% all resist.

I took the resist all on normal, but will probably go for the passives in the later 2 difficulties.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Resists are the worse choice as its not hard at all to max out resists with gear, remember that resists have a cap and HP does not, go with the health bonus for normal, you'll get more life from that pick then you would from a skill point going towards 8% life at that stage of the game. Cruel the consensus seems to be skill point, and for Merciless it seems to also be the skill point unless your build revolves around using charges, in that case its a no brainer.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Protip: Don't play a HC character and watch a sporting event simultaneously. :suicide:

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Im_Special posted:

Resists are the worse choice as its not hard at all to max out resists with gear, remember that resists have a cap and HP does not, go with the health bonus for normal, you'll get more life from that pick then you would from a skill point going towards 8% life at that stage of the game.

Actually, by taking some resists you're sure to always be capped at 75%, and if you go a little bit over it's absolutely fine if you consider curses that will drop it by 30% and map mods that reduce players' resistances. I guess one big node plus a small one would be enough.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
The 40hp is base HP, so it's multiplied by all of the Life % nodes you take on the passive tree, so it ends up adding up to a whole lot more than 40hp over the life of your character.

For Merciless, I took the Endurance Charge on my Marauder. Having 7 endurance charges up at the same time is kind of amazing.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
What's the deal with maps? Is there any strategy to farming them or do you just run around Act 3 hoping to find one? I haven't been motivated enough to beat Merciless yet, but I've been farming the Docks for 6 levels and have only seen one drop (guy in my group got it). I only got to level 15 in CB so I got no idea how endgame works.

The wiki page sucks, so any information about them would be appreciated.

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys
Bought a 20% gold amulet from the Act 2 vendor and made this...

Literally a minute later I find this. Best luck.

I may need to trade one of these off. My witch is 30 (fire/summoner) and I made the mistake of leveling clarity. It seems useful, but I'm not sure taking out 1/3 of my total mana is worth it. It regens enough that I can spam fireball for a while, but any summons and I deplete my pool in a second. What are you guys running?

The mana reduction support gem seems pretty drat rare, too.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
What builds are there for someone who just wants to attack really really fast on HC? I've been tinkering around with different builds and came up with this Shadow claw/shield build so far. The goal would be to use Frenzy/Wrath (w/Conductivity on bosses) to quickly stack Shock on enemies for massive damage. I heard CI isn't a popular on HC (for good reason), so this build relies on a decent pool of HP, energy shield (w/leech regeneration), and evasion to tank hits. An agi/int character has a ton of options available for AoE, so I can pick up whatever works best for that.

Any thoughts on this build? Or any other builds you guys can think of for attacking really fast while surviving on HC?*

*:Bonus points if character is red.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Is there anywhere where I could see the endgame "look" of the different classes? Looking cool is important in an ARPG. :colbert:

Also, having a lot of fun with my Duelist. Already got 4 rares, and I'm at LVL5. I'm loving this.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Riftling posted:

What builds are there for someone who just wants to attack really really fast on HC? I've been tinkering around with different builds and came up with this Shadow claw/shield build so far. The goal would be to use Frenzy/Wrath (w/Conductivity on bosses) to quickly stack Shock on enemies for massive damage. I heard CI isn't a popular on HC (for good reason), so this build relies on a decent pool of HP, energy shield (w/leech regeneration), and evasion to tank hits. An agi/int character has a ton of options available for AoE, so I can pick up whatever works best for that.

Any thoughts on this build? Or any other builds you guys can think of for attacking really fast while surviving on HC?*

*:Bonus points if character is red.

That actually looks pretty similar to the lightning strike claw shadow I'm playing right now. You missed an easy 8 attackspeed in the claw circle and probably want to pick up more hp if you're playing hc. Current build at level 25.

I'm not sure if I want to go for frenzy, more crit and +claw/phys damage passives or start building towards static blows once I'm done filling out the current area.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

DONT DO IT posted:

Bought a 20% gold amulet from the Act 2 vendor and made this...

Literally a minute later I find this. Best luck.

I may need to trade one of these off. My witch is 30 (fire/summoner) and I made the mistake of leveling clarity. It seems useful, but I'm not sure taking out 1/3 of my total mana is worth it. It regens enough that I can spam fireball for a while, but any summons and I deplete my pool in a second. What are you guys running?

The mana reduction support gem seems pretty drat rare, too.

I'd be interested in trading for the unique for my ranger or shadow. In-game name is Sevanah.

edit: Anyone know how the passive skill that increases the effect of buffs on you works? Would it say, make clarity give you more mana/sec, damage auras make you do more damage, etc etc?

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 2, 2013

Divine Disclaimer
Jan 24, 2013

by T. Finninho
He didn't notice he had item protection on this and ran right past it:

Then he kicked me and called me a human being.

Yes loving sir, you can kick me alllllll day.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
After about 6 rerolls I finally settled on a bow witch. It's fun because it's not the norm I believe. Dropping massive arrow barrages from way back and I'm not a ranger feels good man. Solo is very doable but I really need some more energy shield recharge nodes before I hit Act 3.

Groups don't seem to like me tho, even tho I can hold my own just fine.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

RosaParksOfDip posted:

edit: Anyone know how the passive skill that increases the effect of buffs on you works? Would it say, make clarity give you more mana/sec, damage auras make you do more damage, etc etc?

Yes, that's how the Increased Effect of Buffs on You nodes work. I'm playing an aura summoner, and the Inner Force cluster is working great for Clarity, Purity, and Discipline.

Divine Disclaimer
Jan 24, 2013

by T. Finninho

Givin posted:

Groups don't seem to like me tho, even tho I can hold my own just fine.

This is because they are stupid..

The lack of lightning skills almost DEMANDS hybrid Witch builds if you want to be a pure lightning caster.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Vizrt posted:

Yes, that's how the Increased Effect of Buffs on You nodes work. I'm playing an aura summoner, and the Inner Force cluster is working great for Clarity, Purity, and Discipline.

Awesome. Might make the ruinous mana reservation on clarity even more worthwhile. It's enough to keep spamming forked spark currently, but with it reserving more than a third of my mana, I can't spam higher cost spells.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Found a spirit shield with 15% spell damage and a +29% spell damage modifier. :stare: I can never unequip this, correct? It's unfortunately a low-level shield otherwise.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Knightmare posted:

Found a spirit shield with 15% spell damage and a +29% spell damage modifier. :stare: I can never unequip this, correct? It's unfortunately a low-level shield otherwise.

Eh, as has been mentioned, all +%spell damage is additive, so later when you've got +300% or so, that +34% won't be that impressive.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life
So what's the consensus on a good/cheap mumble server? I feel like the PoE goon community could use one but I'm a RL poor. I could probably do $15 a month on one.

ZergRushing
Oct 1, 2004

Quixzlizx posted:

Protip: Don't play a HC character and watch a sporting event simultaneously. :suicide:

THIS TIMES A MILLION :darksouls:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Did a marathon and went from 5 (Fetid Pools) to 12 (just after killing Brutus). I'm digging my sword and board duelist, though so far most of my 1-handers have been axes, and I'm kinda avoiding putting points into the one-handed-sword-specific passives.

Also, which skills are useless? :v:

Lege
Oct 12, 2005

hurf im badass
Elemental Equilibrium question: if I hit something with a weapon/skill that has all 3 elemental damage types how are the resistances calculated? Does the victim get +25% - 50% - 50% = -75% to all elemental resistances or what?

Squidgy
May 22, 2010

Lege posted:

Elemental Equilibrium question: if I hit something with a weapon/skill that has all 3 elemental damage types how are the resistances calculated? Does the victim get +25% - 50% - 50% = -75% to all elemental resistances or what?

If you hit someone with 2 elements, the weakness is always the third element. If you hit someone with all 3, EE doesn't trigger. Not sure which element gets +resist in case of the double element hit, probably both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lege
Oct 12, 2005

hurf im badass

Squidgy posted:

If you hit someone with 2 elements, the weakness is always the third element. If you hit someone with all 3, EE doesn't trigger. Not sure which element gets +resist in case of the double element hit, probably both?

Too bad. -75% all resistances would have been absolutely broken, no wonder it doesn't work like I thought.

• Locked thread