Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
A lot of people use Cerebus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

mrmcd posted:

God I hope they add this. Then thing I want more than anything else is being able to listen to podcasts at home or work on my computer but have my subscriptions and unplayed episodes sync back to my phone as well for when I'm on a suggest or plane. Google Listen did this somewhat before they killed it and I really miss that feature.

Is there some reason you don't just listen to them on your phone always, whereever you are? Works for me.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Getting error:

quote:

Uh oh. There was a problem.

We couldn't complete your purchase because of a technical issue.

Details of the problem below:
Sorry, we were unable to process this request. Please try again later.

when attempting to purchase LightFlow.

I'll contact Google now but anyone here have any clues or experience of the error?

Edit: Purchase worked fine in the Play app. Weird.

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Feb 8, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

visuvius posted:

What's the go to "find my phone when I lose it" type app? Is Lookout and it's a virus monitoring bullshit?

I use Cerberus.

Speaking of that app, there's a hilarious story someone posted on the Overclockers forum on how someone used it to track the person who stole his phone. Complete with pics and video too. :v:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18483866

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Frozen-Solid posted:

I have yet to find a twitter client that supports multiple users and has Facebook, that otherwise looks even remotely decent. Plume is close, but god is their interface busy and ugly.

I recently started using Scope, all I wanted was Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr in one easy to digest feed, and it gives me that. I also struggled to find something as good as TweetDeck.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Manky posted:

I recently started using Scope, all I wanted was Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr in one easy to digest feed, and it gives me that. I also struggled to find something as good as TweetDeck.

Scope was decent, but putting it into one feed is what I don't like. I love TweetDeck's panels, so I can have mentions, direct messages, lists, and different accounts on their own screens. If someone makes a decent TweetDeck like clone that actually uses the holo interface I'll switch in a minute. I REALLY want to like Plume but I can't get past it's busy, cluttered, and texture filled interface.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Cerberus is one of the sweetest apps I've seen in a while - I've only used one of the features (the tracking) but man it saved my rear end.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Frozen-Solid posted:

Scope was decent, but putting it into one feed is what I don't like. I love TweetDeck's panels, so I can have mentions, direct messages, lists, and different accounts on their own screens.

Ah, I see. Out of curiosity, then, have you tried HootSuite?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

visuvius posted:

What's the go to "find my phone when I lose it" type app? Is Lookout and it's a virus monitoring bullshit?

I have nothing but praise for Cerberus. It's amazing. A small fee gives you life time membership and you can have up to 5 phones active at any time. I consider it a must buy for any Android user with a phone on any kind of value.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Manky posted:

Ah, I see. Out of curiosity, then, have you tried HootSuite?

Looks and feels too much like an iOS app. Yeah, I know I'm a picky bastard.

I tried Plume again, and found some more customization settings I didn't find the last time I tried it, and I'm sorta starting to like it. I'll give it a few days and see if it drives me crazy like it did last time.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Frozen-Solid posted:

Looks and feels too much like an iOS app. Yeah, I know I'm a picky bastard.

I tried Plume again, and found some more customization settings I didn't find the last time I tried it, and I'm sorta starting to like it. I'll give it a few days and see if it drives me crazy like it did last time.

I don't blame you dude. With Android beginning to look less crappy it's becoming harder and harder to justify lovely looking apps IMHO.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Mega Comrade posted:

I have nothing but praise for Cerberus. It's amazing. A small fee gives you life time membership and you can have up to 5 phones active at any time. I consider it a must buy for any Android user with a phone on any kind of value.

It comes in handy far more than you think. I'm an idiot and always misplace my phone, so the "alert" mode that makes it flash and make a siren noise is incredibly handy. When my LCD and touchscreen broke, I could still access my text messages and call logs and contacts. The best part is getting the automatic pictures of friends trying to snoop on my phone, or me failing to unlock it when I'm drunk.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Is there a compelling reason to get Carbon (the backup utility, not the Twitter app) if I'm rooted and already using Titanium Backup?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
No, it's primary use is if you don't have root. Though the interface is a lot cleaner than Titanium Backup because it's scope is more limited.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is there a compelling reason to get Carbon (the backup utility, not the Twitter app) if I'm rooted and already using Titanium Backup?

It lets you pull backups between devices, so if you have a phone and a tablet and play a game on one, and want to resume on the other you can force it to sync. It's a complete manual process to do that, but works nicely enough.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Not sure if this is the right place but I recently installed 4.2.1, downloaded my apps and so on and found What's App refuses to vibrate for notifications. Group or normal chat notifications, it's all out. Vibrate works for email and calls though. Anyone know of a solution for this?

Also, any recommendations for a screenshot app?

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 9, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Not sure if this is the right place but I recently installed 4.2.1, downloaded my apps and so on and found What's App refuses to vibrate for notifications. Group or normal chat notifications, it's all out. Vibrate works for email and calls though. Anyone know of a solution for this?

What's wrong with the built in screenshots and vibration behavior is broken on 4.2.

Jobarr
Aug 12, 2000

Frozen-Solid posted:

It lets you pull backups between devices, so if you have a phone and a tablet and play a game on one, and want to resume on the other you can force it to sync. It's a complete manual process to do that, but works nicely enough.

If it's manual, how is that different from Titanium?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jobarr posted:

If it's manual, how is that different from Titanium?

If I'm reading right, your PC acts as a server and stores the backups, so you cut out the "copy between devices" part a bit.

e: Why the hell is the free version not compatible with the Transformer Prime but the premium one is :psyduck:

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 9, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

If I'm reading right, your PC acts as a server and stores the backups
All Carbon is is a GUI for the adb backup command.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

IIRC it's a sporadic bug in Whatsapp which has been around since ICS, though some can get it to work again by changing the vibrate duration. Contact the dev.

quote:

There's an inbuilt function: press and hold Power + Volume down (You need to time it so you press them at roughly the same time).

LastInLine posted:

What's wrong with the built in screenshots and vibration behavior is broken on 4.2.

Yeah, that change shouldn't have been made until they'd fully transitioned to whatever universal notification management system they have in mind. That's not it in this case though, otherwise he'd be complaining about too many vibrations instead of too few.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
I'm currently deciding whether I should buy Carbon or Titanium Backup. What would you recommend? Can Carbon also backup all system and apps settings?

I don't have to keep entire images of my phone around, but being able to copy over all my previous settings would be extremely useful. I'm rooted, so it's not like either one of those two should run into any issues. I'm just turned off by Titanium because it looks way more complicated and ugly (and I might never use all the features it has).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

parrhesia posted:

I'm currently deciding whether I should buy Carbon or Titanium Backup. What would you recommend? Can Carbon also backup all system and apps settings?

I don't have to keep entire images of my phone around, but being able to copy over all my previous settings would be extremely useful. I'm rooted, so it's not like either one of those two should run into any issues. I'm just turned off by Titanium because it looks way more complicated and ugly (and I might never use all the features it has).
Titanium. Set it on a schedule and forget about it.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Ahh cool thanks. Didn't know about the built in function. I'll give what's app a message and see what they have to say

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm disappointed that tweetdeck dropped myspace support. That was the only thing keeping me posting to it.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is the best launcher? I liked launcher pro but it has been forgotten. Go launcher is nice for the customization options but has too much bloat.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrPlump posted:

What is the best launcher? I liked launcher pro but it has been forgotten. Go launcher is nice for the customization options but has too much bloat.
Assuming you're on at least 4.0, Nova or Apex. For older builds it's probably still the two that you mentioned.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I prefer Apex Launcher because it seems to be better for battery life.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

Tunga posted:

Assuming you're on at least 4.0, Nova or Apex. For older builds it's probably still the two that you mentioned.

For pre-4.0, Holo Launcher works wonders.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is there any 'best' launcher for tablets?

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Is there a good bluetooth-connected remote control app like Unified Remote, but that works on OSX?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Oh my God.

Voice is just loving up horribly.

Its failing to send all of my messages then it seems them hours later...twice.

Any one else having this problem?

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh my God.

Voice is just loving up horribly.

Its failing to send all of my messages then it seems them hours later...twice.

Mine is working ok, just sent a few txt's in the past 20 minutes.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

z06ck posted:

Mine is working ok, just sent a few txt's in the past 20 minutes.

It might've been the signal where I was. It was refusing to send any texts then it resent them two times each like two hours later.

I'm doubting it was my data though. I've had good data speeds and no hiccups the whole time I was away from home.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

SlayVus posted:

Is there any 'best' launcher for tablets?

Chameleon is pretty unique but it can be a bit battery-hungry.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

DrPlump posted:

MrC posted:

For pre-4.0, Holo Launcher works wonders.

Seconding Holo. Even the free version made a massive difference to my streak for the couple of weeks before my N4 turned up. LPP was actually causing a whole bunch of kernel panics & lockups.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

ThermoPhysical posted:

Voice is occasionally just terrible, especially with weak signals. It doesn't handle failed texts well at all. I also have to force close it a few times a day because it'll just hang on conversation loading.

pinchet
Oct 18, 2002

lobstarrrrr!!
Quoting my earlier post once because I'm not sure if people just didn't know or if it got skipped. My apologies if the former.

pinchet posted:

Do any of these music programs you guys are talking about remember playback position? And by that I mean play something to a certain point, go to another mp3 or podcast all together, and then go back to the first and have it remember the position. I heard only good things about Poweramp but its "remember playback position" seems to be only when you close and reopen the app, not play another mp3.

My old HTC Magic base MP3 play used to work this way!

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
What is a good vpn client app?

Also, is there a wiki or anything that lists recommended apps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Trip report: After a few days of forcing myself to use Plume and finally customizing it so it's not as garish I'm SO VERY CLOSE to liking it, but the lack of one single feature is once again about to be a deal breaker:

You can't set per-account and per-column notifications. The only notifications you can set are for your whole timeline, mentions, or direct messages, and only one notification sound. The amount of customization Tweetdeck had for each column both how often it synced and what notifications it used was the main thing I loved about it.

• Locked thread