Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Xava
Dec 1, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

Loving my new Kobo Glo! Pretty much has all the features that's lacking in the Nook. Now if only I could find a good cover, doesn't seem to be much selection.

Sharing the Glo love!

I bought the kobo branded sleep cover and I really really like it. It was about $40 in store. The fact that it sleeps and wakes the kobo makes it worth it. The store I was at didn't have much for color options but that could be because it was just a small mall outlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Does anyone know any good sites/guides for rooting a Kindle Fire HD? This is my first android based device and I'd like to read up on what's possible. Google hasn't proven very useful, just a lot of outdated forum posts.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

What's the missing stuff from the nook? Calibre collection support?

Just wondering. Been thinking of upgrading to either a paperwhite or glowlight but haven't heard much about the kobo glo.

Not sure whats missing from the Glowlight, but doing collections on the Nook is kinda not great and especially bad if you're using a microSD card to just sideload your stuff.

I bought a Nook Glowlight because my K3 keyboard broke and I had a load of B&N giftcards to blow and just sideloaded all my old kindle stuff onto it, but then every once in a while it'd just remove all of that sideloaded stuff from the shelves (like collections on the kindle) I had sorted it into. Which when it's several hundred books and the interface for adding stuff into collections is kinda poo poo (a huge alphabetical only list), it's really just kinda awful about it.

Then I decided to just make a directory of nested folders by genre/author and use the view by file mode which works better, but it only lets you see 5 books at a time with how the screen/ui is set up.

Like it's perfectly fine as a device to read on, it's great for that, but the sorting/library interface is really poo poo on it. Whenever I end up getting a new ereader I'll end up going with a Paperlight 2 or whatever they're up to by then.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I rooted my NST to use a program called Shelves. It works pretty good. Basically you can tell it to read specific calibre data and it will create the collections for you from that.

I side load my books as well, and so far it's holding up pretty well.

I was just curious what the glo had over the glowlight or paperwhite. They are all pretty awesome readers but I don't know much about the kobo ones...

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

I rooted my NST to use a program called Shelves.

In case you're interested, Awful Betamax runs fine on a rooted NST, so you can read Something Awful as a book (or newspaper?).

Invisble Manuel
Nov 4, 2009

I rooted my NST to use a program called Shelves.

I've got an NST, and have never seen a good reason to root it, but this sounds intriguing. Searching for 'nook simple touch shelves' doesn't really help, though, because of the native function -- can you provide a link, or something, for the program you're using?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Shelves is an Android app. Rooting the NST lets you run any Android apps that the hardware can handle. It can even run YouTube, although you can imagine how weird it looks. Puzzle games are rad on it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is there an app that lets you edit ebooks? I'm trying to read Battle Royale, but the two available ebooks have different imperfections. One with horrible formatting, and another with a scanned table of contents. If you know a place to buy a legitimate publisher released ebook, please let me know.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

noirstronaut posted:

Is there an app that lets you edit ebooks? I'm trying to read Battle Royale, but the two available ebooks have different imperfections. One with horrible formatting, and another with a scanned table of contents. If you know a place to buy a legitimate publisher released ebook, please let me know.

This is why I learned to use Sigil and regular expressions

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Sigil is wonderful and will generate a great table of contents or let you fix a lovely table with links that go to the wrong pages with little effort.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
There was a lot wrong with the ebooks I got, but I managed to make a "perfect" one for Battle Royale with Sigil. So proud of myself. I feel like Kanye.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
My sister is looking to get an eReader and I don't have any reader/tablet experience, thought I'd ask you fine folks.

She's looking for something predominately to read books and articles, maybe some light surfing and a few flash-type games every once in a while. She claims to not want an Apple device to avoid getting locked into their hardware/software as much, she's been looking at some Samsung Galaxy flavors and other Android options. She was interested in getting something that featured some kind of data plan in addition to wifi, but she's in Europe so I don't know if that's available/worth it. Are there any standout suggestions for devices that sound like this, or a good place to start at least?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

My sister is looking to get an eReader and I don't have any reader/tablet experience, thought I'd ask you fine folks.

She's looking for something predominately to read books and articles, maybe some light surfing and a few flash-type games every once in a while. She claims to not want an Apple device to avoid getting locked into their hardware/software as much, she's been looking at some Samsung Galaxy flavors and other Android options. She was interested in getting something that featured some kind of data plan in addition to wifi, but she's in Europe so I don't know if that's available/worth it. Are there any standout suggestions for devices that sound like this, or a good place to start at least?

Those are tablets not eReaders, but she's looking at one those and doesn't want Apple, then a Nexus 7 is probably her best choice.

Lady Xava
Dec 1, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

My boyfriend loves his Nexus 7 for reading and for other media. He had a BlackBerry playbook and a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 before but the Nexus is his favorite. He really liked his Samsung but found it too large for what he wanted. The Nexus is a great size for traveling and reading in bed. His is wifi only. I don't know if there is a data version.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If the primary goal is reading, I'd suggest an eReader and forgoing "flash games" (or using a decent smartphone) instead.
In a darkened room there's no level of illumination on a backlit screen I find comfortable (high setting cause eyestrain, low settings lack contrast) and a lot of people feel the same way; hence eInk screens.

The paperwhite/glo are great for reading.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

And the Kindle at least you can get games for, of the word smith or trivia sort.

Is the kindle fire an ereader or a glorified tablet?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Autumncomet posted:

And the Kindle at least you can get games for, of the word smith or trivia sort.

Is the kindle fire an ereader or a glorified tablet?

It's a tablet.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It's a tablet, but not really glorified. It's like a simpler, less extensive version of the iPad.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
So what I'm hearing is to not try and half-rear end it, if she wants an eReader get an eReader and not try to force that functionality onto a tablet? Makes sense, I'll take these recommendations to her and let her research further. Thanks guys.

edit: And I'm correct in assuming that whatever she gets, Calibre would be able to convert books into something that would work on her device? I use it to put text/pdf files onto my phone and read them through the Kindle app, eReaders have a USB mode where you can drag files around right?

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 11, 2013

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Takes No Damage posted:

So what I'm hearing is to not try and half-rear end it, if she wants an eReader get an eReader and not try to force that functionality onto a tablet? Makes sense, I'll take these recommendations to her and let her research further. Thanks guys.

edit: And I'm correct in assuming that whatever she gets, Calibre would be able to convert books into something that would work on her device? I use it to put text/pdf files onto my phone and read them through the Kindle app, eReaders have a USB mode where you can drag files around right?

Yes to your Calibre, Kindle questions.

If she wants games and such, she wants a tablet. Tablets are in full color, have significantly shorter batteries, yet do more. EReaders allow you to read and are more or less simply for that. Kindles have an experimental browser from what I know about them, but yet, as you see, it's experimental. She could probably load a text based website or Reddit with ease, yet Facebook or YouTube would probably require more than eReaders can offer.

That said, when you want an eReader, you should get something that is an eReader. Paperwhite, that is. :P

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

The library is the worst bunch of people assembled in history. They're mean, conniving, rude and extremely well read which makes them very dangerous.

noirstronaut posted:

Yes to your Calibre, Kindle questions.

If she wants games and such, she wants a tablet. Tablets are in full color, have significantly shorter batteries, yet do more. EReaders allow you to read and are more or less simply for that. Kindles have an experimental browser from what I know about them, but yet, as you see, it's experimental. She could probably load a text based website or Reddit with ease, yet Facebook or YouTube would probably require more than eReaders can offer.

That said, when you want an eReader, you should get something that is an eReader. Paperwhite, that is. :P

While I agree that if she just wants an ereader, that should be fine, just wanted to throw in that I have the Kindle Fire HD & youtube/facebook works perfect on it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

supkirbs posted:

While I agree that if she just wants an ereader, that should be fine, just wanted to throw in that I have the Kindle Fire HD & youtube/facebook works perfect on it.

I think the Fire is just a tablet. The normal/other Kindles are all eReaders, though.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

If reading is her primary goal, get an ereader.
If goofing off playing games is her primary goal, get a tablet, or a tablet + used ereader. You could probably snag a recent-gen Kindle or Nook for $50 on CL.

If you get a tablet, the Kindle Fire sucks, primarily because it's got a horrible user interface, and everything is Amazon-centric. You can get around that but why bother, get a Nexus or iPad.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
For perspective: I've owned an iPad since March of last year, but I got a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas anyway.

Why? Like I suspected, an e-ink reader is just far, far better for reading than a tablet. Something like the Paperwhite is smaller, lighter, and easier on the eyes. It's also distraction-free, which means you won't be bombarded with Facebook notifications in the middle of a chapter.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
As a media consumption device, I liked my Kindle Fire in its stock mode and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the HD models to the kind of person who wants a tablet mostly to watch TV/movies and play games. The first one was just a good deal before the Nexus 7 came along, now the new ones are actually a solid product as long as the stock firmware does what you want it do. It's sort of like a slightly less polished Apple product in that it's really good if you use it exactly how it was intended, but may be questionable if you want to go outside the lines.

Once rooted my 1G Fire also makes a great tablet, but with native AOSP tablets in the same price range it's hard to argue for them in that role.

But yes, if the primary use is reading for $deity's sake get an eInk device. I bought one book on Kindle when I got my Fire last year and wasn't really impressed. Got some gift cards, got a Paperwhite figuring that if it sucked I'd jailbreak it and build an awesome clock/weather/news display (still might buy another to do that with), and I've probably spent $75 on Kindle books since then because it's just so much better to read that way.

Crackbone posted:

You just summed up the whole reason not to bother with a Fire. The Nexus is slightly more expensive, but has a better UI, isn't littered with ads, isn't tied to Amazon's ecosystem, and is an overall better piece of hardware. And dealing with rooting is idiotic when you can just get something that works how you like right of of the box.

Like I said, I think for the "media consumption" market the Fire HD is a better choice. If you'd think about rooting it, don't get it, it's not for you. It's for your grandmother, your kid, etc.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 11, 2013

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

wolrah posted:

The first one was just a good deal before the Nexus 7 came along, now the new ones are actually a solid product as long as the stock firmware does what you want it do. It's sort of like a slightly less polished Apple product in that it's really good if you use it exactly how it was intended, but may be questionable if you want to go outside the lines.

Once rooted my 1G Fire also makes a great tablet, but with native AOSP tablets in the same price range it's hard to argue for them in that role.

You just summed up the whole reason not to bother with a Fire. The Nexus is slightly more expensive, but has a better UI, isn't littered with ads, isn't tied to Amazon's ecosystem, and is an overall better piece of hardware. And dealing with rooting is idiotic when you can just get something that works how you like right of of the box.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't know if I would call the Nexus 7 "a better piece of hardware" than either of the current generation Kindle Fire or Nook HD Tablets. I own a Nexus 7 and lets face it, it's a cheap tablet. There are the screen lift issues that still aren't resolved 9 months after release, it gets a bit creaky over time, and the screen isn't best in class either.

My mom got a Nook HD for Christmas and honestly it is much nicer than my Nexus 7 to hold and look at (1440x900 just makes it ever so crisper.) The negatives about being locked into vendor ecosystems and having skinned software are valid, but for many audiences it doesn't matter.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Takes No Damage posted:

Take care with PDF's, those wouldn't always convert all that well.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

uXs posted:

I have had really good luck with using k2pdfopt for formatting PDF files on my Kindle Keyboard. It's not always perfect, but it's definitely readable without having to do the stupid zoom thing constantly or change orientation.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

uXs posted:

You could take it a step further and convert PDFs to .epub, open in Sigil and adjust them accordingly.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

noirstronaut posted:

You could take it a step further and convert PDFs to .epub, <b>open in Sigil and adjust them accordingly.</b>

Even for us well-versed in editing epubs that can be quite the task :(

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
Folks that have bought the official Amazon cover for the Paperwhite: How much thicker does it make it feel? I just got a Paperwhite to replace my old Kindle. Its screen broke while it was in my coat pocket. So, naturally, I'm thinking about protecting the screen of my new Kindle, but I love how slim it is naked.

The only reason I have this conundrum is because the 2-year protection plan is $10 cheaper than the case, and it covers broken screens.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

ryangs posted:

Folks that have bought the official Amazon cover for the Paperwhite: How much thicker does it make it feel? I just got a Paperwhite to replace my old Kindle. Its screen broke while it was in my coat pocket. So, naturally, I'm thinking about protecting the screen of my new Kindle, but I love how slim it is naked.

The only reason I have this conundrum is because the 2-year protection plan is $10 cheaper than the case, and it covers broken screens.

I have one. It's definitely thicker but not bulky or off putting. It gets this newish form.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

ryangs posted:

Well, it does make it thicker, but it's really, really tight. There's no extra fabric or covering sticking out anywhere really, and it feels sturdy.

People say it's very hard to actually take it out of the cover again, and that probably true. I've never tried and I don't know why I'd want to. Maybe in a few years when it's worn down and I want a new one, but otherwise I don't see the need.

I liked the cover on my previous kindle, but this one is much, much better. I have a hard time thinking how, for a minimalist design, you could improve on this. Maybe make it lighter and thinner with some space-age materials, but that's about it.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

ryangs posted:

For me it's less the thickness and more the weight (though it's certainly thicker, especially with the front folded around back). The Paperwhite is pretty light, so the added weight of the case is pretty noticeable. I also prefer the feel of the device by itself, so I looked into switching the case for a sleeve, but none were that appealing to me and the magnetic on/off is a great feature. I will say that I've gotten somewhat used to the case now, so it's not as big of a deal, though I would still prefer taking it off when reading at home if it wasn't such an ordeal to actually remove it.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I guess I'm in the minority, but I like the weight/thickness the case adds because they make it easier to hold. I actually wish the case were a bit thicker or that the cover were a bit wider.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
I went with the official Amazon sleeve precisely because I'd already tried a Kindle before, and realized that something light I could pick up and read without opening a cover was part of the appeal. The sleeve doesn't feel like the most durable protection in the world, but it's certainly good enough if you're just tossing a Kindle in a bag you don't expect to get crushed.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any way to manage your Kindle personal documents that doesn't involve deleting them one at a time from a 10 page list, the website refreshing after each single one?

You'd think they'd put more thought into this :sigh:

e: I mean on the server side. Like if I just out and out want to delete a personal document from my 5gb allowance.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Martytoof posted:

Is there any way to manage your Kindle personal documents that doesn't involve deleting them one at a time from a 10 page list, the website refreshing after each single one?

You'd think they'd put more thought into this :sigh:

e: I mean on the server side. Like if I just out and out want to delete a personal document from my 5gb allowance.

This will delete all of the items on the page:

java script:(function(){ var v = new RegExp("PersonalDocuments"); if (!v.test(document.URL)) { return false; } {a=document.getElementsByClassName('rowBodyCollapsed');for(var i = 0; i<a.length; i++){Fion.deleteItem('deleteItem_'+a[i].getAttribute('asin'));};return; }})();

Obviously, you have to java and script one word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cool, thanks! Seems like Amazon should just put checkboxes next to each item to let me delete a list of stuff though :(