Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tally
May 26, 2011

Krad posted:

I still can't imagine a GTA starring a female protagonist, though...

Not even if it were Courtney Love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Aardark posted:

Digital versions aren't region-locked. It probably refers to disc versions.

Yeah the disc versions are definitely still region locked.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

axleblaze posted:

I believe Dead Space Extraction is also on PSN and is probably my favorite rail shooter.

I'll second this. The game is way better than you'd expect a railshooter side-game to turn out. The story's almost as good as Dead Space 2's, and the characters are all fairly interesting and compelling to follow. It's just a drat shame the DLC side-campaign for Dead Space 2 featuring the Extraction characters for wasn't released for the PC version :argh:. House of the Dead: Overkill is great fun as well. It's essentially a grindhouse horror movie in railshooter form.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

rizuhbull posted:

Most everything I'm eyeing is Japanese (Ape Escape, Front Mission, Ehrgeiz), but google's telling me PSX games are still region locked? Can that be true despite them being digital versions? Is their any easy way to find out what Japanese PSX games support which languages before buying? I imagine I need a PSN card from Play-Asia or some such, right?

e: It might be more worth it to simply pay the extra for physical copies. Japanese PSN cards are already .5 pricier. Thanks for the help.

They also won't have english options unless that's how the original (japanese) release was.

Like, Katamari 1 is on the japan psn, but I'm p.sure that it has no english at all.

Yet some games (like the Phantasy Star collection) came with english in the original release and therefore you can use that.

Also, you can go ask a goon in the PS3 Imports thread, there's some guys who'll get it at cost for you. Far cheaper than any of the online stores.

It'd be easier to buy Enhandler on the PS3 than to track down a physical american release.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

SamBishop posted:

I have to be very careful in what I say here, as Irrational and 2K were exceptionally (and entirely understandably) protective of the game when I did a mock review recently, but I don't think they're going to mind me saying that everyone should keep this one on their radar. I'm literally counting the days until its release - 43 left!

Oh, you tease. And thanks for the heads-up on the new titles coming out, everyone else :)

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Oh god, Infinite. My most anticipated game ever. Is there a thread for it? Although I can't say I want to surround myself in promotional material, as I want to keep myself in the dark and fresh for release, I'd love to see some discussion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VarrosAnon posted:

Oh god, Infinite. My most anticipated game ever. Is there a thread for it? Although I can't say I want to surround myself in promotional material, as I want to keep myself in the dark and fresh for release, I'd love to see some discussion.

There is but it isn't the most positive thread at the moment so you may want to wait until actual new info comes out.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'll second this. The game is way better than you'd expect a railshooter side-game to turn out. The story's almost as good as Dead Space 2's, and the characters are all fairly interesting and compelling to follow. It's just a drat shame the DLC side-campaign for Dead Space 2 featuring the Extraction characters for wasn't released for the PC version :argh:. House of the Dead: Overkill is great fun as well. It's essentially a grindhouse horror movie in railshooter form.

Don't worry about it to much.

The campaign is insanely short, like 2 stages and more importantly...

These will be insanely minor Dead Space 3 spoilers, they do not spoil the plot in anyway, in fact its almost irrelevant.

Lexine is never mentioned again, ever, she just vanishes into some dark void where secondary characters go. In true EA fashion.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Alright, someone tell me about Afrika. A friend just informed me that such a game exists. From what I understand, you roam around the savannah and take pictures of wildlife, kind of like a grown-up Pokemon Snap. Also looking up used copies online, they tend to go for a tad more than your average 3+ years used title.

Am I missing out on some lost gem or was it just a limited printing of a game that may or may not be decent?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

iastudent posted:

Alright, someone tell me about Afrika. A friend just informed me that such a game exists. From what I understand, you roam around the savannah and take pictures of wildlife, kind of like a grown-up Pokemon Snap. Also looking up used copies online, they tend to go for a tad more than your average 3+ years used title.

Am I missing out on some lost gem or was it just a limited printing of a game that may or may not be decent?

It's fun for a few minutes and it certainly looked pretty when I imported it way back when I got my PS3 (at least the animals did, the environments were pretty bland). However it's slow, has a barebones UI and very little depth. I seem to recall it being a bit buggy too.

It's worth messing around with at a budget price but definitely not something worth paying a premium for.

Tally
May 26, 2011

iastudent posted:

No it was awful, enslaved is a nice little gem for people who've never got it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Reminder for people who may even be the slightest bit interested in Playstation All Stars to download the character DLC within the next two weeks before they charge $5 each.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Tally posted:

No it was awful, enslaved is a nice little gem for people who've never got it.

That's true, but it isn't anything like Afrika!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The Last of Us was delayed a month from May 7 to June 14th. Can't help but think this is a mistake because that's the week of E3 and that's never good for a game.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

As documented in the Video Game Deals thread, Anarchy Reigns has been dropped down to $20 at Gamestop. It will probably be even cheaper to find used in the near future. I know it was a pretty polarizing game for some people.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harlock posted:

As documented in the Video Game Deals thread, Anarchy Reigns has been dropped down to $20 at Gamestop. It will probably be even cheaper to find used in the near future. I know it was a pretty polarizing game for some people.

It was only $30 at launch. That's not a big jump.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

AngryBooch posted:

The Last of Us was delayed a month from May 7 to June 14th. Can't help but think this is a mistake because that's the week of E3 and that's never good for a game.

Nooooooo.

Was really excited to play this. Any reason given?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Nooooooo.

Was really excited to play this. Any reason given?

The marketing reason is here.

The real reason, who knows. They might even be telling the truth.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

At the last minute they decided to add a "Donut Joel" cheat which requires larger door frames throughout the game.

I really hope they bring back stuff like that from UC1 and UC2. I was pretty bummed out that UC3 didn't have any fun cheats.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Stare-Out posted:

At the last minute they decided to add a "Donut Joel" cheat which requires larger door frames throughout the game.

I really hope they bring back stuff like that from UC1 and UC2. I was pretty bummed out that UC3 didn't have any fun cheats.

At least you can be Donut Drake or whoever online. I mostly missed the behind the scenes stuff in UC3.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Harlock posted:

My local Gamestop got in exactly two copies at launch and none since, and one of those was bought by me. Of course this game's going to do badly and drop fast when no stores carry it. It was absolutely stupid of Sega to not just make it a digital title.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Surlaw posted:

My local Gamestop got in exactly two copies at launch and none since, and one of those was bought by me. Of course this game's going to do badly and drop fast when no stores carry it. It was absolutely stupid of Sega to not just make it a digital title.

Obviously Sega couldn't be bothered with supporting it since they had to focus their attention on the blockbuster AAA megahit Alien: Colonial Marines!

Has there been any word on MGR Revengeance being a digital title? I've been picking up newer games in shares lately and really enjoy the convenience (and only paying half price!). Dead Space 3 is a good example. At $60 I wouldn't have looked at it, but for $30 I'm enjoying it despite its flaws. I'll gladly pay full price for MGRR if I have to, but $30 would be better. :)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think I say this every time it's brought up but people that think that if only sega had done a better job marketing it Anarchy Reigns would have been a huge hit are deluding themselves. It's multiplayer God Hand. It's an insanely niche title. I know Alien turned out to be poo poo but if you really can't see why they'd put more of their very limited resources behind promoting the game that's part of the really popular IP made by the developers of a really popular series over the new IP made by the company that doesn't have the best track record sales-wise, you're kind of deluding themselves.

Also Revengeance is suppsed to be realsed digitally, but there's not yet word if it's gonna be day one.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Static Rook posted:

Obviously Sega couldn't be bothered with supporting it since they had to focus their attention on the blockbuster AAA megahit Alien: Colonial Marines!

Has there been any word on MGR Revengeance being a digital title? I've been picking up newer games in shares lately and really enjoy the convenience (and only paying half price!). Dead Space 3 is a good example. At $60 I wouldn't have looked at it, but for $30 I'm enjoying it despite its flaws. I'll gladly pay full price for MGRR if I have to, but $30 would be better. :)

I think it was being looked into. Just not official if it's a day one digital release.

And I'm just warning you. You can only have 16 accounts at a time on a PS3. You might never reach this point but it's something to consider.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

axleblaze posted:

I think I say this every time it's brought up but people that think that if only sega had done a better job marketing it Anarchy Reigns would have been a huge hit are deluding themselves. It's multiplayer God Hand. It's an insanely niche title. I know Alien turned out to be poo poo but if you really can't see why they'd put more of their very limited resources behind promoting the game that's part of the really popular IP made by the developers of a really popular series over the new IP made by the company that doesn't have the best track record sales-wise, you're kind of deluding themselves.

It's nothing like God Hand at all aside from being about dudes punching each other. It's less technical than almost any popular fighter out there. I don't imagine it being a huge hit, but I assume that maybe a few more people would have bought it if stores actually carried it or it was available digitally. I don't believe for a second that a limited print run like the game got was more economically feasible for Sega than a digital release. They handled it stupidly for both consumers and the company. Also Bayonetta sold decently and putting her on the cover would have been smarter than locking her behind preorder only DLC.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Surlaw posted:

It's nothing like God Hand at all aside from being about dudes punching each other. It's less technical than almost any popular fighter out there. I don't imagine it being a huge hit, but I assume that maybe a few more people would have bought it if stores actually carried it or it was available digitally. I don't believe for a second that a limited print run like the game got was more economically feasible for Sega than a digital release. They handled it stupidly for both consumers and the company. Also Bayonetta sold decently and putting her on the cover would have been smarter than locking her behind preorder only DLC.

Same with mad survival, pre-order or pay to play multi types is just asking them to be DOA, add the niche appeal of something like Anarchy and you've got a recipe for lovely sales.

Par for the course for Sega.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Alteisen posted:

Same with mad survival, pre-order or pay to play multi types is just asking them to be DOA, add the niche appeal of something like Anarchy and you've got a recipe for lovely sales.

Par for the course for Sega.
I've seriously never been able to get into a single match of Mad Survival because of this. Part of it's Sega, part of it's Platinum; Sega screwed some modes over by making them pre-order only (are they even for sale on the PSN yet?) but Platinum really divided what was never going to be an enormous player base by splitting things into Ranked and Casual modes for absolutely no reason, since there's no level matching and the same type of players play both modes. There are simply too many multiplayer modes in the game to support its player base.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Surlaw posted:

I logged in as a new player after finishing the tutorial, and watched a team of level 50's sweep the game, with no one on my team managing a single kill. Not one single kill.

Yeah, it's kind of technical, and balanced to heavily favor committed players - which more or less dooms it to obscurity. There was no way Sony could have saved it, marketing or not, shy of rebalancing the game to not be so vehemently anti-newbie.

EDIT: VVV I played multiple team matches. Every single one ended up with one team of all 50's that wiped the floor with the other team. Sorry dude, that's just how the game is for new players, hence - doomed to obscurity. (I am going to keep at it, but most simply would not)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 14, 2013

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Shalinor posted:

I logged in as a new player after finishing the tutorial, and watched a team of level 50's sweep the game, with no one on my team managing a single kill. Not one single kill.

Yeah, it's kind of technical, and balanced to heavily favor committed players - which more or less dooms it to obscurity. There was no way Sony could have saved it, marketing or not, shy of rebalancing the game to not be so vehemently anti-newbie.
I've played it a lot and never seen a match that unbalanced ever so I think that was maybe bad luck. It's absolutely not how an average game goes. I usually don't see more than two or three 50's in a battle royale.

Playing single player unlocks lots of good skills that automatically execute and make you a hell of a lot stronger too so it's best to play the whole campaign before jumping into online mode, which is kind of a shame because single player drags. The game also plays a lot nicer to new players in free for all modes than team modes since everyone pretty much always just gangs up on higher level players.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 14, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh yeah I forgot that you can split retail PSN games in a share, even better.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hey. Persona 4 Arena just came out on American PSN.
I've got a Aus/NZ system with a US PSN account. Would I be able to play this region locked game on that profile or does it somehow look at the hardware and know I don't have an American system?

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I've got a Aus/NZ system with a US PSN account. Would I be able to play this region locked game on that profile or does it somehow look at the hardware and know I don't have an American system?

Nope. I'm in a similar situation with a Japanese PS3. I downloaded the PS+ hour trial and it wouldn't even let me start the game.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's based on hardware? Back to waiting for the Euro version which will never come out.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

I did actually hear from some people today that it does, in fact, check your hardware and won't work. Get a second opinion though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Persona 4 Arena is the only PS3 game that actually checks your hardware and doesn't start if it's not a US PS3. The option was always there but developers never enable it, I think the Chow Yun Fat game enabled it on the Special Edition only because it actually had a full-length movie on the disc.

It's weird because you can buy stuff from US, EU, and JP PSN accounts all on the same PS3 but this game actually goes out of its way to not let you play it even if you make a US account and buy a US points card.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

So, there's something I wanted thoughts on. Who here agrees with me that bundling a Move and the next-gen 3rd iteration of the EyeToy/PS Eye with the PS4 would be a good idea? The way I see it, the Move is actually a really nice motion controller, but 2 things hold it back:

1. Developers can't make a game that exclusively utilises it without cutting out a huge chunk of the install base.
2. The PS Eye only does a 480p resolution at max which could be hampering the accuracy of the controller.

Having a Move and a HD Eye with every PS4 (rumours I've heard have suggested a dual-camera device with each lens capable of 720p) would solve both of these problems. Combine that with the fact that there are a great many people out there who already have a Move or two, and the PS4 would be in a better position for decent motion control games than even the Wii was, since it didn't launch to an environment where millions of people already owned Wiimotes.

I get that a lot of people don't like motion controls, but I believe they have their place when good games are built around them, and I think the Move is a great device in and of itself, that suffers due to a situation that is solvable.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
RE: Anarchy Reigns

I don't think the game would've set the world on fire if only it had better promotion, I do think it would've done better numbers-wise (as in, be profitable) if 1. Sega released it at the same time worldwide as they had originally planned and 2. they made it digital. If you're only gonna charge $30 for a disc, you might as well just make it digital-only for $20 and cut out the pressing and distribution costs altogether (since that was supposedly part of the delay). It's not like there was a must-have title that blew everything else away in Nov-Dec 2012. BLOPS2 was the last blockbuster and that was, what, September?

For actual gametalk, the Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires demo is fun for the two whole 2 minutes they let you actually battle. The character creation is kinda limited, but holy poo poo the Arm Blade (i.e. metal canoe ) is the most fun and ridiculous weapon. Smack dudes in the face, then slam it on the ground and surf around and kill'em by the hundreds! Or make a big wave appear out of nowhere and ride it! Sure, why not!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

What's the best Musou game running right now? I've just been playing Gundam because I like the license, the game itself isn't the best. I've been shying away from them because their price points don't really drop all that much.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Harlock posted:

What's the best Musou game running right now? I've just been playing Gundam because I like the license, the game itself isn't the best. I've been shying away from them because their price points don't really drop all that much.

I'd have to say it's Orochi Warriors 3. It's pretty much THE All-Stars Warriors game. I haven't had a chance to play the One Piece game. I heard it's good, if you enjoy One Piece especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Harlock posted:

Dynasty Warriors 7. I've been seeing it at stores for like $25.

• Locked thread