Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

With a carbon fibre chassis?

The BRZ/FRS made a lot of compromises to hit the price point it did like steel body pannels, cast iron suspension components. Considering this has elise specs, i'd expect elise prices, so 75k+ in the US minimum.
I didn't know about the carbon fiber bits, I had assumed it was a stripper RWD car similar to the BRZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Alfa are to Fiat what Audi are to VW, so think of it like an R8.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Well, we can only hope it depreciates like a sofa :P

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

bull3964 posted:

I just think they're going to have trouble with finding the people that have Cayman money buying in this car segment that will divorce themselves from the Porsche badge.

I don't know, Alfa Romeo is a pretty strong brand, and they can at least trundle along with brand mysticism for a long time.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I think Marchionne really wants to move Alfa further into luxury and sports car territory. We already saw a glimpse of this with the 8C Competizione. Alfa used to build some of the greatest race cars and sports cars ever made. Put in simpler terms, if it wasn't for Alfa Romeo, there would be no Ferrari. People talk about heritage and history in relation to various car makers. No other brand has nearly as much of that as Alfa Romeo.

Having Alfa reduced to premium family car maker, making only FWD cars no less, was a great shame. I really hope they succeed in moving back to outright sports cars. They've been making premium Fiats for far too long, I want to see them succeed as a little brother to Maserati and Ferrari.

I'd like to call it now. The 4C is the new Lancia Stratos.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 12, 2013

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, Alfa has a lot of heritage, but the brand got diluted into pointlessness with all the mediocre FWD rebadges. Thankfully Marchionne seems to know what's up, because Alfa and Mazda are also already working on the Alda Malfa Mazda-Romeo roaster as a next-gen Miata, and if they aren't stupid, they'll also consider building it as a coupe to cash in on the Toyobaru hype. IMO, if they have that and replace the 159 with a solid RWD+V6 sedan/wagon/coupe, they'd have a great sporty lineup with a few "my first Alfa" FWD cars to target the Mini demographics. Rebootig a brand like that isn't trivial (see Mercury, Lincoln), but it seems that they have the right idea.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Powershift posted:

More like call it the impala and scrap the existing impala. Chevy has too many models that are crippled and weak out of fear of stepping on one of their other product's toes. The imapala is going to be a $27,000 175hp i4 FWD shitheap that couldn't exist along side a $27,000 320hp v6 RWD SS. The v6 impala is going to be a $35,000 300hp v6 FWD shitheap that couldn't exist along side a $35,000 400+hp v8 RWD SS. the american SS is probably going to be LS3+ only, and around $40,000.

Would fleet buyers be willing to buy a RWD vehicle even if price and fuel economy were comparable to the FWD Impala?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Would fleet buyers be willing to buy a RWD vehicle even if price and fuel economy were comparable to the FWD Impala?

They've been buying the Crown Vic for god knows how long so why wouldn't they?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Rear vis on the Alfa looks challenging, not that I'd complain.

InitialDave posted:

Alfa are to Fiat what Audi are to VW

And now Lancia :: Skoda

quackman
Jan 25, 2004
Chapstick

Powershift posted:

The BRZ/FRS made a lot of compromises to hit the price point it did like steel body pannels, cast iron suspension components. Considering this has elise specs, i'd expect elise prices, so 75k+ in the US minimum.

I believe Elises start around $50k, nowhere near 75k.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

dissss posted:

They've said that about every model since at least the VN

Not really, since GM Europe were still developing the V platform (which became the VT) at that time, so the Commodore had some life.

The Falcon was the one which was on death row in 1980, due to fuel prices at that time, and the fact the smaller VB/VC Commodore was outselling it. The XD was going to be the last model, replaced by either a stretched Telstar (oh yeah, that would've gone down well) or stretched Granada. Thankfully sales for the Falcon rebounded in 1981 and beat the Commodore in 1982 so those plans were shelved.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
It looks like a cross between an Elise and an MR2 Spyder.

Gotta love the back window that lets you see the engine... oh wait that's just a plastic engine cover.

I'll take a Corvette, thanks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I like the concept of 850kg, Italian styling (AND IDEALLY RELIABILITY!!!!) and a mother loving real Alfa for 60k.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I saw the concept for the 4C in Geneva. The same show debuted the Aventador which looked nice, and had a hi-vis yellow SLS which certainly stood out, it had some Koenigseggs which looked like cool anime cars and countless other amazing and desirable cars. The 4C outshone them all, it was truly jaw-dropping. I'd love to see the production version in person to see if it's anywhere near as nice.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
With a 1.8l 4 cyl engine it's kind of down on power, so I doubt they could charge as much for it as a 6 cyl Porch. Americans still want the big motor even if the car is lighter.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The engine's 235hp in the Giulietta. I'd hope they turn it up a bit for this application. They'd be within touching distance of the Porsche 2.7L that way.

I don't think they're going to get a lot of conquest buyers from Porsche. I'd imagine with the limited run that they sell them all to Alfisti who frankly don't give a gently caress about that poo poo except that it's a True Alfa or whatever.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They'd be within touching distance of the Porsche 2.7L that way.

Huh. Well I guess TIL that Porsch charges a lot of money for the same power as a V6 Mustang. :eng99:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Aren't Elise sales numbers a complete disaster? It would seem shooting for similar paper specs at a higher price gambling on cachet is a risky gambit.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Snowdens Secret posted:

Aren't Elise sales numbers a complete disaster? It would seem shooting for similar paper specs at a higher price gambling on cachet is a risky gambit.

The Elise is a weird looking fiberglass kitcar built in a shed from leftover Lucas parts. Where do you even get an Elise? Is there a Lotus dealer near you?

This thing is an actual real car from a major automaker that's going to be sold in Chrysler dealers.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

The Elise is a weird looking fiberglass kitcar built in a shed from leftover Lucas parts. Where do you even get an Elise? Is there a Lotus dealer near you?

This thing is an actual real car from a major automaker that's going to be sold in Chrysler dealers.

The Elise also sold very well for what it is, they only ended export to the US because the the airbag exemption ended in 2012.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Isn't a 2:1 length:width ratio an exceptionally wide aspect car?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kimbo305 posted:

Isn't a 2:1 length:width ratio an exceptionally wide aspect car?

I think so, it's basically the same length/wheelbase as a Miata but a foot wider. I can't help but wonder if it might actually be a better handler if they had made the length/wheelbase a little longer, and it's that short just to hit the weight target.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

With that wheelbase and track, I'm going to hazard a guess that the handling of the 4C can be summed up as "tricky". Also, I'll bet it's going to ride like crap on our bad North Ameican roads. I mean, being a focused sports car means it's going to ride harshly no matter what; what I'm saying is that it's going to be almost intolerable.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MrChips posted:

I mean, being a focused sports car means it's going to ride harshly no matter what; what I'm saying is that it's going to be almost intolerable.

For a car built to this price, yes, but future supercars will all sport magnetic shocks with the cross side fluid diverters like the MP12. I think those ought to ride pretty well when you want them soft.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

MrChips posted:

With that wheelbase and track, I'm going to hazard a guess that the handling of the 4C can be summed up as "tricky". Also, I'll bet it's going to ride like crap on our bad North Ameican roads. I mean, being a focused sports car means it's going to ride harshly no matter what; what I'm saying is that it's going to be almost intolerable.

That is probably the wildest speculation you could possibly have. What basis do you have for that? The Fiat 600? Mk1 Toyota MR2? Modern cars with true dastardly handling barely exist anymore, besides the Elise which isn't even in production. The Elise was designed to be an uncompromisingly light near-race car, not a nice place to sit in traffic or drive sloppily in inclement weather. The 4C won't be an Elise, it will be more like a Cayman or a Z4.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I used to live within 20 miles of 2 lotus dealers.

Do people drive Boxters anymore? Or even the Cayman? How are the sales? I see lots of Cayennes,Panameras, Targas and Turbos.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

DJ Commie posted:

That is probably the wildest speculation you could possibly have. What basis do you have for that? The Fiat 600? Mk1 Toyota MR2? Modern cars with true dastardly handling barely exist anymore, besides the Elise which isn't even in production. The Elise was designed to be an uncompromisingly light near-race car, not a nice place to sit in traffic or drive sloppily in inclement weather. The 4C won't be an Elise, it will be more like a Cayman or a Z4.

It is wild speculation, I'll admit, and partly based on old information which might not be true it seems.

My thought was that the 4C was still going to be based on the KTM X-Bow (as the 4C Concept was), which is pretty much all of those things I mentioned in terms or handling and ride quality. However, it seems that the production 4C likely won't share much with the X-Bow, if anything, beyond construction materials and methods. My bad for not looking into this further.

That said, I still have serious reservations whether or not the 4C will be any good or not. After all, how long has it been since Alfa has built a truly good car? They've certainly built good looking cars, and even cars which come achingly close to being good, but you even said yourself that they've trundled along on their badge for a long time now.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It'll be mediocre dynamically like the 8C, and that's if SRT can touch it up a bit.
But that car is for looks and attention, and in that respect it'll do fine.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mobby_6kl posted:

Alda Malfa Mazda-Romeo

Alfa RoMazda :colbert:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

b0nes posted:

I used to live within 20 miles of 2 lotus dealers.

Do people drive Boxters anymore? Or even the Cayman? How are the sales? I see lots of Cayennes,Panameras, Targas and Turbos.
For the last few years, Porsche sold roughly the same number of 987s (Boxster & Cayman) as 997s (911s of all flavors) and Panameras in the US. They sold about as many Cayennes as they did all the rest of their cars combined. Sales across the board have been way down from 2009-2012 due to the recession, though the new 981 Boxster is expected to be wildly popular and may see a resurgence as the economy continues to recover and might even overtake the 991 market this year.

May be a regional thing; I'd be willing to bet roadsters are the most popular in areas which have the most top-down days. Boxsters used to be extremely rare in my area, but they seem to be getting a lot more common as cost comes down in the used market and spend less time sitting in the garage as a 2nd car for rich people and more time as middle class DD.

grover fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 13, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The engine's 235hp in the Giulietta. I'd hope they turn it up a bit for this application. They'd be within touching distance of the Porsche 2.7L that way.

Allegedly, they have it running reliably in test cars with 300hp, which I'd say is pretty good for a production 1750cc four-cylinder turbo engine.

Turbocharging, direct injection and independent variable valve control is one hell of combo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Throatwarbler posted:

I still think you may be overestimating brand recognition. To most people in the US, the only awareness to Alfa Romeo that they know (if they know any at all) is "Isn't that the name of the small vintage convertible the quirky old guy down the block owns?"

I mean, the only car they've sold in the US in the past 17 years is the 8C Competizione and there are a whopping 84 of them banging round the country.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I said nothing in my post about brand recognition? Lotus probably has more brand recognition than Alfa in the US, due to Top Gear, that's not what was holding back the Elise.

In any case various sources are saying that total global production is not exceeding 2,500/year, so we probably won't have to worry about them selling.

I posted this before but here's a blurb about the 1750 TBi engine's intake and exhaust. Apparently it uses direct injection to inject fuel into the exhaust stroke, like anti-lag.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/240904/alfa_romeo_1750_tbi.html

quote:

Looks like the V6, sonorous as it is, might be on borrowed time as the motor industry's latest example of intelligent downsizing breaks cover. So what's the secret?

It involves having a lot of valve-timing overlap – inlet and exhaust valves open together – between 1000 and 1800 rpm. This gives a direct path through the cylinder for the intake air, already compressed by the turbocharger, to add further airflow energy via the exhaust valve to the turbocharger's exhaust-driven turbine. The amount of escaping high-pressure air is quite small (it increases the total air draw by about 30 per cent) but it's enough dramatically to reduce turbo lag.

That's the scavenging bit – using the momentum of airflow to get the most air through the engine – but there's more. This being a direct-injection engine, fuel is injected only when and where it needs to burn which means, during this low-speed scavenging process, not on the inlet stroke. But just after the power stroke is completed and the hot exhaust gases are being expelled, another little squirt of fuel combines with the remaining oxygen and causes the gases to expand further in the exhaust manifold. This, of course, drives the turbo with yet more energy.

The key to all this is very close, and greatly variable, control of valve timing (on both camshafts), injection timing and ignition timing. The overlap progressively reduces up to 2000rpm, by which time the engine is behaving more like a regular, albeit still very torquey, turbo having suffered minimal lag up to that point.

Does it work? I drove both a Brera and a heavier Spider with the new engine, and the pull from low revs was mighty impressive. It's not a sporting-feeling engine, which is unfortunate given the badge its cars wear, because the initial throttle response is quite soft and the power is fading fast by 6000rpm, but it's a muscular and effortless one which subjectively makes these weighty cars feel rather more eager than they do when powered by the V6, never mind the lacklustre 2.2.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
New Audi S3 with 300hp

autoblog posted:

Not content to let Volkswagen have all of the fun with its GTI and Golf R, Audi is rebooting its five-door S3 Sportback with rather monstrous power. Headed for an official unveil at this year's Geneva Motor Show, the new S3 rolls out with a 300-horsepower, 280-pound-feet of torque turbocharged 2.0-liter TFSI engine under the hood. The four-cylinder powerplant is strong enough to shove the Sportback to 62 miles per hour in just 5.0 seconds when connected to the optional S-Tronic gearbox, or 5.5 seconds with the traditional manual transmission. Top speed is said to be an electronically governed 155 mph. Almost as impressive as those performance figures are the fuel economy ratings: the S- S3 is said to average 34 miles per gallon.

All S3 Sportback models offer Quattro all-wheel drive, ride on a sport-tuned suspension tuned to a lower ride height (about one inch) versus the standard Audi A3. 18-inch wheels with 225-section tires are standard equipment, and 13.39-inch front brakes should offer serious stopping ability.

Audi has done a lot of work shedding pounds from this latest MQB-architecture S3, as well. The car has a curb weight of roughly 3,186 pounds, or some 154 pounds less than the outgoing model. 11 of those pounds were cut via weight-saving measures in the 2.0-liter engine.

The last generation S3 was never shipped to the US for sale, and Audi has given us no indication thus far that this one will be. We'll expect to pin down a firm answer to that when we see the S3 Sportback roll onto stage at in Geneva.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/13/300-hp-2013-audi-s3-sportback-unwrapped/

probably not coming to the US though :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Because, gently caress audi, new A45 with 360hp and a dual clutch 7 speed.

quote:

Fun coincidence. On the same day that Audi announces the unveiling of its new S3 Sportback at the Geneva Motor Show, Mercedes-Benz steals the spotlight by confirming that the all-new A45 AMG will also receive its official debut early next month. Starting life as the entry-level A-Class hatchback, the A45 AMG gets the full AMG treatment, which includes numerous performance, handling and styling upgrades.

Under the hood sits an AMG-tuned 2.0-liter turbocharged I4 breathing through a sport exhaust system helping the five-door produce 360 horsepower and 332 pound-feet of torque. This engine is paired to a seven-speed AMG dual-clutch transmission and power is sent to the ground using 4Matic all-wheel drive. Mercedes-Benz says that the A45 AMG will be able to accelerate from 0-60 miles per hour in under 4.5 seconds and it will have a top speed of 155 mph; in the land of hot hatches, it doesn't get much hotter than that. For added performance and handling, AMG has retuned the A-Class' suspension and steering systems and equipped The A45 with a three-stage stability control system that is specific to this car.

Surprisingly, the exterior styling of the A-Class was already sporty enough that the new model doesn't receive too many changes to become the A45 AMG. The biggest alterations include black accents to the chin spoiler, rocker panels and mirror caps, black wheels with red-painted brake calipers and rectangular dual exhaust outlets. Inside, it doesn't take a trained eye to spot the differences. The flat-bottomed sport steering wheel and the numerous red accents throughout the cabin (including the seatbelts!) really help to make this AMG interior stand out; front passengers will also get sport bucket seats that appear to be more than supportive enough for even the most spirited driving conditions.

The A45 AMG goes on sale in June for German buyers, but North American availability has not been announced yet. Scroll down for a couple of videos (including great engine sound!) and the full press release with all of the details for the new A45 AMG. Sit tight and we'll have live pictures and impressions from Switzerland for you in just a few weeks.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/13/mercedes-benz-a45-amg-shows-up-to-fight-the-hottest-hatches/

i would give my spleen for this to be sold in canada, but i doubt it will ever come.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Wonder what the price would be for america. The video is sweet, sounds awesome because AMGs always sound good, and it has AWD which is interesting + a DCT.

Real nice specs but i personally think the nose, headlights, and taillights are really oversized. Id have to see one in person.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It looks like a Mercedes'd up Focus ST to me :tinfoil:.

I would still drive the poo poo out of it.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I love the horsepower wars currently going on :fap:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

It looks like a Mercedes'd up Focus ST to me :tinfoil:.

I would still drive the poo poo out of it.

except it's AWD, over 100 more horsepower, and 60 more ft/lbs of torque.

In canada, the C63 AMG is 65 grand, a loaded STI is 43 grand, The evo starts at 42 grand, and an evo MR is 52 grand. This car could potentially be competative in the market, as there is no way it would cost more than a C63 amg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Powershift posted:

except it's AWD, over 100 more horsepower, and 60 more ft/lbs of torque.

In canada, the C63 AMG is 65 grand, a loaded STI is 43 grand, The evo starts at 42 grand, and an evo MR is 52 grand. This car could potentially be competative in the market, as there is no way it would cost more than a C63 amg.

I meant the body styling, not performance.

Also, I didn't realise that STI's had gotten that expensive, though I had a feeling an Evo would be around that much :saddowns:.