Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

We as a society really need to just quit paying attention to Darren Rovell.
I admire the guy and detest him at the same time. He gets paid hundreds of thousands of dollars per year to namedrop and baselessly speculate about endorsement opportunities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

MourningView posted:

We as a society really need to just quit paying attention to Darren Rovell.

I unfollowed him after the Jaime Edmondson incident and have essentially tried to delete his existence from his mind. So the SOE article ended up being a hilarious trip down memory lane.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
I've been pretty impressed with Sports on Earth as a whole since its launch. It's weird that they're already losing Posnanski to NBC but the guy's been a nomad over the last two years.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Hint: NBC has a shitload more money than USA Today

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Crazy Ted posted:

I admire the guy and detest him at the same time. He gets paid hundreds of thousands of dollars per year to namedrop and baselessly speculate about endorsement opportunities.

"Sports business reporter" is certainly a useful position in this day and age but it would help a lot if the person best known for doing it wasn't a PR shill and also an egotistical boop beep sperglord

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Do you think a guy with 300,000 twitter followers in going to hold an elevator for a guy with only 20,000 twitter followers? C'MON.

midwat
May 6, 2007

I acknowledge the fact that Darren Rovell has to exist while hating the fact that he does.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

The Prisoner posted:

I've been pretty impressed with Sports on Earth as a whole since its launch. It's weird that they're already losing Posnanski to NBC but the guy's been a nomad over the last two years.

Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing. I find myself going to SOE a lot more often than Grantland these days.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

barkingclam posted:

Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing. I find myself going to SOE a lot more often than Grantland these days.

My perspective might be a little skewed because I don't care about anything but basketball, but it doesn't seem like the editors at Grantland care about anything but basketball.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

morestuff posted:

My perspective might be a little skewed because I don't care about anything but basketball, but it doesn't seem like the editors at Grantland care about anything but basketball.
Their hockey stuff is OK, but tends to skew a little on the lighter side. I like Katie Baker and she's pretty entertaining, and sometimes shows these little glimpses of potential for writing some really good in-depth analysis. Unfortunately the format of her weekly column on Grantland doesn't really let her do that.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

The Prisoner posted:

It's good but not great. Leitch, Patrick Hruby and the Chuck Culpepper piece on Ayanbadejo are the best they've produced.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Patrick Hruby owns

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/icehockey/9861061/Watching-TV-sport-is-just-horse-play-on-ice.html

Briton fails to understand hockey and, I suspect, Paul Romanuk. Chooses to blame modernity(?)

quote:

Likewise, I was content to plead ignorance of the sport as a whole. In an ideal world, I could devote hours and months to studying and appreciating the game: its nuance, its lexicon, its characters. Should ESPN continue its ice hockey coverage, I could even become a regular spectator one day.

But it will never happen, and for this we can blame the dizzying array of choice that modernity has provided us. In this cash-poor, time-poor, post-Olympic landscape, every sport claims to be the best possible use of our time. This has benefits. Never has it been easier to find sport. But by the same token, never has it been harder to discern the indispensable from the inessential; to tell the difference, as it were, between minced beef and minced horse.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Reading that, I got this strange feeling it was some avant-garde piece about how people that intentionally don't understand baseball stats seem really stupid.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Crion posted:

Patrick Hruby owns

The new Patrick Hruby piece is amazing - ESPN/OTL on George Visger, CTE, brain damage, you know, NFL stuff: http://www.patrickhruby.net/2013/02/the-damage-done.html

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, it's a great piece, and links to an old SI report on concussions from '94 that's rather amazing to read.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Does podcast stuff count here? Because Baseball Today with Eric Karabell and (usually) Keith Law is over. It was really good, and they were really great at addressing advanced stats and they had a lot of insight.

It was replaced with Buster Olney and the Baseball Tonight Podcast. The first one featured him talking about his childhood and a like 5 minute story about how Deion Sanders called him a loser once.

loving A. What a difference.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Spoeank posted:

Does podcast stuff count here? Because Baseball Today with Eric Karabell and (usually) Keith Law is over. It was really good, and they were really great at addressing advanced stats and they had a lot of insight.

It was replaced with Buster Olney and the Baseball Tonight Podcast. The first one featured him talking about his childhood and a like 5 minute story about how Deion Sanders called him a loser once.

Well I mean he is a loser so good on Deion for calling him out on it

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

uublog posted:

Well I mean he is a loser so good on Deion for calling him out on it

Buster got off light

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO9jo8XkOfA

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Deion is a national hero.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mike Alden, supergenius.

Spoeank posted:

So it's going to be Buster Olney and probably Tim Kurjikan rambling for about 30 minutes now? You'd think ESPN of all media companies would be able to line up some interesting former players or coaches to do some podcasts for them. Hell, if Herm Edwards did their NFL podcast I'd listen everyday.

Hahaha. Why the hell was he criticizing him for playing two sports in a day to begin with? Isn't that the kind of stuff analysts love to go on about?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
When I think "voices totally suited for podcasting and radio" I think Tim Kurkijan!

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Deion's gotta criticize, like, Delmon_Dogg to complete the trifecta now

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
Klaw's mentioned a few times a mystery project which sounded to me like a new podcast so there may be hope still for some sort of listenable baseball-related podcast. Seriously, first Up and In and now Baseball Today. Boo.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

dshban posted:

Klaw's mentioned a few times a mystery project which sounded to me like a new podcast so there may be hope still for some sort of listenable baseball-related podcast. Seriously, first Up and In and now Baseball Today. Boo.

UGH, yes, there must be some curse on cool baseball podcasts or something. At least Up and In had to go because KG was hired by the Motherfucking Astros, this just feels like ESPN doing a dumb thing... just because, I dunno. Taking the bets on what will leave us next. Better not be Effectively Wild. There are not enough cool people at BP who aren't Lindbergh or Miller. FanGraphs, maybe? But where else would I be able to avoid Dave Cameron?!? (I actually like Cistulli, for the record.) There hasn't been a PRodcast in a couple weeks, *concern*!

...And now I'm imagining what a SAS podcast would be like and I think my head just exploded :psyboom:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
kuuenbu.mp3

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

uublog posted:

...And now I'm imagining what a SAS podcast would be like and I think my head just exploded :psyboom:

This was tried once. We got Gendo as an old timey newscaster, KJI's Voice, and a whole lot of awkward. Then it died after about two weeks.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
We also did a football-centric podcast that was fun as hell but sputtered out because Fiz got bored and stopped yelling (and no one was willing to organize topics).

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

uublog posted:

Lana's roundtables are probably a reasonable enough facsimile.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mike Alden, supergenius.

leokitty posted:

When I think "voices totally suited for podcasting and radio" I think Tim Kurkijan!

quote:

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
Today's podcast is posted. http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8947346 … Tim Kurkjian and I talk about a manager under pressure; the Uptons; and Mariano Rivera.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
SB Nation's Padres blog posts an article celebrating the injury of a player who chose to go to college rather than sign with them.

quote:

That leaves us Padres fans with some nice schadenfreude. Whitson will sit out this season and either enter the draft as damaged goods (unlikely), enter next year after returning from injury (more likely) or redshirt this year in order to play 2 more seasons and enter the 2015 draft. In any case, Whitson could have already had around $2 million of Padres money, but played hardball in contract negotiations. He either may never see that kind of money or delayed seeing anything close to it for a significant period of time.

Before BBF or Foulweather get on me for reveling in this too much, I don't want anyone to think that I'm saying the Padres handled the pick correctly. That's not the correct way to view it. The good or bad results don't always equate to good or bad process. Instead I would say that as a fan we can smugly think that the Padres dodged a bullet or we can smirk at Whitson and say, "Look what happens when you mess with the Padres." Something like that. Normal schadenfreude stuff. Or you could just go on about your day. Counting the days left until opening day. As for me, I've always hated him.

It would be trite to say "Stay classy, San Diego", wouldn't it?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Here's the writer of the Whitson piece bragging to the site owner about how much traffic it will bring.

I've seen some disgusting poo poo posted about baseball prospects but this is above and beyond.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

At least drat near everyone in the comments section completely shits on that article.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

More evidence for my theory that any time you see someone use the word "schadenfreude" on the internet, you can immediately stop reading (it is a corollary to my iron law that you must immediately discount the opinion of anyone who uses the phrase "karma is a bitch" unironically with extreme prejudice.)

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Looks like the article's been yanked now.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Looks like the article's been yanked now.

With a bogus apology and still defending the meat of the article. If these guys still have a blog tomorrow SBNation should probably not get much more traffic.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

jeffersonlives posted:

Here's the writer of the Whitson piece bragging to the site owner about how much traffic it will bring.

I've seen some disgusting poo poo posted about baseball prospects but this is above and beyond.

He deleted this tweet too. :smith:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Heaven forbid someone go to college instead of getting stuck in the rigors of minor league ball getting paid $19k or less a year and be consistently on the road.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

uublog posted:

(I actually like Cistulli, for the record.)

he's an insufferable jackass who writes his own wikipedia article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
If you want to read the terrible Gaslamp post in full I saved it :shobon:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6c4QTMoPrdtWGw5RzJXRzZfRjQ/edit