Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

Docjowles posted:

We don't know. Popular theories include Alex, Tim, blackout Jay trying to communicate with regular Jay, Slenderman, Jessica, Amy, the collective consciousness of everyone Slenderman has ever taken communicating from the dimension of insanity he comes from, or even us, the audience. At one point Jay even said on Twitter that "Those videos are so inconsistent. It's like they're being made by different people. No way I can prove that, though." I've felt the exact same thing since season 1, that some videos kinda goad Jay into action while others just say "LOL UR GONNA DIE MIGHT AS WELL JUST END IT NOW LOSER". Marble Hornets hasn't been big on red herrings so I take the tweet as strong confirmation that TTA is at least two people and they're not necessarily working together. The threat videos are from Alex and the "helpful" videos are from blackout Masky Tim. That's just my pet theory of course.

And yeah don't worry about spoilers after the first couple posts following a new entry. Just enough to give a buffer for someone who hasn't clicked on the thread in a while.

edit:

You're right that Troy just started doing TTA for shits when bored at work. It's in the commentary on one of the DVD's I think. They were going to shitcan TTA going into season 2 but it was so popular they decided to keep the character around. And yup, there are a lot of new TTA videos, it's very much not retired :)

Didn't it get proven that at least some of them have to be Skimasky since they have at least one watching Tim outside his house (and thus couldn't be Alex, as he would kill him, and are probably not Jay, as he hasn't mentioned blackout periods around the time that video came out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Well skimasky has a bit of a feminine walk sometimes. Could be Jessica. Isn't she like the only other major character?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I still don't like the idea of Jessica being Skiimasky because I just don't like that idea that every character has to fit in to the story in a greater way than they initially appear to. I mean if Jessica is Skiimasky that means she's been in this since Jay started putting up the videos if not longer which just leads to a whole bunch of needed, convoluted backstory.

The last video seems to kidn of go agianst it being Jessica in that Skiimasky seems to have a masculine build but it also works for it being Jessica in the way Skiimasky really seemed to enjoy pointing a gun at Alex.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Docjowles posted:

"Those videos are so inconsistent. It's like they're being made by different people. No way I can prove that, though." I've felt the exact same thing since season 1, that some videos kinda goad Jay into action while others just say "LOL UR GONNA DIE MIGHT AS WELL JUST END IT NOW LOSER". Marble Hornets hasn't been big on red herrings so I take the tweet as strong confirmation that TTA is at least two people and they're not necessarily working together.

One of them should really change the account password from "slender420" then.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

axleblaze posted:

I still don't like the idea of Jessica being Skiimasky because I just don't like that idea that every character has to fit in to the story in a greater way than they initially appear to. I mean if Jessica is Skiimasky that means she's been in this since Jay started putting up the videos if not longer which just leads to a whole bunch of needed, convoluted backstory.

The last video seems to kidn of go agianst it being Jessica in that Skiimasky seems to have a masculine build but it also works for it being Jessica in the way Skiimasky really seemed to enjoy pointing a gun at Alex.

It would be nice for SM to be one of the production crew members like Brian, making this all one big conflict over Director vs Set.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

axleblaze posted:

Skimasky wasn't seen until Entry 40 or 41 though, so they could definitely be a newer player in the game. Jessica disappeared after Entry 33, so (although I don't particularly think Skimasky = Jessica) the timing makes sense at least.

Zelmel posted:

Didn't it get proven that at least some of them have to be Skimasky since they have at least one watching Tim outside his house (and thus couldn't be Alex, as he would kill him, and are probably not Jay, as he hasn't mentioned blackout periods around the time that video came out).

We know for certain* that Skimasky isn't J, Alex, or Tim, as they've all been in the same video as Skimasky at the same time.

*Assuming multiple characters aren't wearing the same costume and J isn't lying about being behind the camera when he posts entries.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

fullroundaction posted:

Skimasky wasn't seen until Entry 40 or 41 though, so they could definitely be a newer player in the game. Jessica disappeared after Entry 33, so (although I don't particularly think Skimasky = Jessica) the timing makes sense at least.

But it's also been revealed that Skiimasky is probably TTA, who has been around since the beginning, if not earlier. Someone mentioned earlier that there's a chance that TTA is more than one person but I also think that would be kinda lame.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

axleblaze posted:

But it's also been revealed that Skiimasky is probably TTA, who has been around since the beginning, if not earlier. Someone mentioned earlier that there's a chance that TTA is more than one person but I also think that would be kinda lame.

Jay commented on his twitter that they're so different with each one. One pushing him on, another telling him to stop, yet another chastising him for what he's caused simply through his meddling.

It is entirely possible, and plausible that TTA is multiple people. Hell, it could be a Multiple Personality thing, weirder mental problems have occurred with S&M involved.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

fullroundaction posted:

We know for certain* that Skimasky isn't J, Alex, or Tim, as they've all been in the same video as Skimasky at the same time.

*Assuming multiple characters aren't wearing the same costume and J isn't lying about being behind the camera when he posts entries.

We also saw Skimasky sneak up on Jay when he was asleep in his car, so whether Jay's lying or not, he's not Skimasky. Or at least, not the only Skimasky, you make a good point that there might be more than one.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Rambowjo posted:

The look on Alex's face, when Skimasky is pointing the gun at him. It's almost like pity, as if he knows exactly what's going to happen.

I thought it looked more like "I am bad at acting," myself.

The stomping around is indistinguishable from the way he moves in Troy Moves Out. I feel bad for Tim because he seems to put a bunch of effort in.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

IrvingWashington posted:

Looked more like pure unadulterated rage to me. Rage that says "You better kill me, because if I get free I am going to tear you apart limb from loving limb."

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

E-Tank posted:

Looked more like pure unadulterated rage to me. Rage that says "You better kill me, because if I get free I am going to tear you apart limb from loving limb."

I got: "I know something you don't know", as in "i'm beat up, you're pointing a gun at me, so you think you're in control..except that a friend of mine is right over there.."

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

E-Tank posted:

Looked more like pure unadulterated rage to me. Rage that says "You better kill me, because if I get free I am going to tear you apart limb from loving limb get a note out of that trumpet if it's the last thing I do."

I think I must have been watching something different v:shobon:v

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

E-Tank posted:

Jay commented on his twitter that they're so different with each one. One pushing him on, another telling him to stop, yet another chastising him for what he's caused simply through his meddling.

It is entirely possible, and plausible that TTA is multiple people. Hell, it could be a Multiple Personality thing, weirder mental problems have occurred with S&M involved.

Since Tim seems to have been suffering mental issues since he was a kid, it is quite possible that other children suffered similar problems. Alex and Tim may both have been connected to the slender man since childhood, and if there are 2, why not more? It is quite possible that many children were treated in the same hospital as Tim. There could be many children affected by the slender man, and it may not have affected them all the same way.

Jessica didn't go to the same college as the guys, but she still could have been connected to Slendy since childhood. Jessica was Amy's roommate, right? Amy found a camera, and Alex said it wasn't his. Jessica, as one of the slendy gang, could easily have planted the camera.

We've seen the story from the POV of a few individuals. Maybe the M. Night Shyamalan twist is that the same thing is happening to thousands (or millions) of kids.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

IrvingWashington posted:

The stomping around is indistinguishable from the way he moves in Troy Moves Out. I feel bad for Tim because he seems to put a bunch of effort in.

Can you people ever shut up about the loving acting in free amateur internet fiction videos? With time and experience maybe the people in MH, EMH, TT et al will bloom into decent actors or maybe they won't. What the gently caress do you expect from these videos that they make mostly because it's a hobby and they like making them. God drat it I remember the hotel videos where people kept going on about the poor 'blocking' from Jay and Jessica. Blocking. POOR BLOCKING, in my free youtube videos! Everything is poo poo!

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am
For what it's worth, Tim has always been a really great actor, especially with physical stuff. Troy and Joseph have their ups and downs - but again, for what it's worth, I thought the particular moment in question was very well done, and his expression was chilling and implied all those things that people said above.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Regarde Aduck posted:

Can you people ever shut up about the loving acting in free amateur internet fiction videos? With time and experience maybe the people in MH, EMH, TT et al will bloom into decent actors or maybe they won't. What the gently caress do you expect from these videos that they make mostly because it's a hobby and they like making them. God drat it I remember the hotel videos where people kept going on about the poor 'blocking' from Jay and Jessica. Blocking. POOR BLOCKING, in my free youtube videos! Everything is poo poo!

I appreciate you are doing a great job tearing down the Hyperbolic Slenderstrawman, but he's only haunting you, sweetcheeks.

I think it is less useful to rage at people who comment on the actual thing that we are here to talk about than it is to point out things like perceived quality of acting of an actor - or do you think that because they are doing it for free they don't want to hear any feedback (unless it is positive)? I appreciate people who have a different opinion of the scene - I'm guessing that I was watching it a bit too cynically so I'll be checking it out again with a fresh perspective, so thanks for that, people who didn't just go mental.

(And yes, Tim is rad; as time has gone on he's seemed better and better.)

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Regarde Aduck posted:

Everything is poo poo!

For instance: your posting.

Calm yourself.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I can only hear Mike Nelson making wimpy noises ala MST3k or Rifftrax when Tim is punching Alex.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think complaining about blocking is acceptable since it's something that costs no money and that even high school drama clubs (usually) get right.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

precision posted:

I think complaining about blocking is acceptable since it's something that costs no money and that even high school drama clubs (usually) get right.

If its supposed to be in a documentary style though, wouldn't it not being blocked perfectly 100% of the time add legitimacy to it?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

E-Tank posted:

If its supposed to be in a documentary style though, wouldn't it not being blocked perfectly 100% of the time add legitimacy to it?
See: Cloverfield. Suspension of disbelief that it is "found footage" is broken within seconds.

I'm going to assume the blocking complaint was misread sarcasm.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

IrvingWashington posted:

YMMV, I thought it was pretty drat good stuff from Joseph. He's always been good at playing the pissed off bitchy rear end in a top hat though...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fullroundaction posted:

See: Cloverfield. Suspension of disbelief that it is "found footage" is broken within seconds.

I'm going to assume the blocking complaint was misread sarcasm.

Yeah I don't actually remember that subject coming up, just saying that of all the things to go "IT'S FREE DON'T COMPLAIN" about, "blocking" should be really low on the list because frankly it's piss easy.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The only thing that breaks my immersion with MH is that no one talks about Slenderman. That they're acknowledging Tim's crazy sexy mask parties directly now is a pretty big change from the usual deflecting and dancing around subjects.

Alex has always been pretty bad but these guys aren't professionals, so I don't let it take me out of the world they've created here.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

The only thing that breaks my immersion with MH is that no one talks about Slenderman. That they're acknowledging Tim's crazy sexy mask parties directly now is a pretty big change from the usual deflecting and dancing around subjects.

I'm having a hard time imagining what they'd call Slenderman in-universe without it sounding terrible. You can't call him Slenderman. "The Operator" sounds, I don't know, just kind of wrong to be actually spoken.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm having a hard time imagining what they'd call Slenderman in-universe without it sounding terrible. You can't call him Slenderman. "The Operator" sounds, I don't know, just kind of wrong to be actually spoken.

Well yeah, but "What is that thing that keeps appearing when we go nose around Rosswood?" is a valid question that doesn't sound dumb. Nobody's talking about it. I mean, Jay must have seen slendy in the tunnel when Tim collapsed, but all they talked about was him blacking out, not what actually caused that blackout. It's getting kind of weird that it just never comes up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm reasonably certain that Jay has talked about "that guy" or "that thing" several times this season.

Still silly that it hasn't been a point of discussion from the beginning, but there you go.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am
This has actually been one of my main problems with the series from the beginning. The guys said in an interview that it was a conscious choice for a long time, because they were worried the audience would feel talked-down-to if they were shown something only for the characters to immediately repeat it (I think that was the reason - either way, they definitely said it was a decision), but I feel it detracts from the realism something fierce. Who knows, maybe we'd be complaining about the opposite too - but it has always irked me. Still pretty psyched for more, though

FoglyOgly
Sep 23, 2009

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

I feel it detracts from the realism something fierce.

Maybe The Operator has the power to make you not want to talk about him. Also to never carry a gun or call the police.

LobsterTick
Jul 11, 2011

"We did something this year that was not based on animosity."

FoglyOgly posted:

Maybe The Operator has the power to make you not want to talk about him. Also to never carry a gun or call the police.

I dunno, I always thought that trying to shoot the Operator is a :siren:BAD IDEA:siren:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

LobsterTick posted:

I dunno, I always thought that trying to shoot the Operator is a :siren:BAD IDEA:siren:

Eh, it just does gently caress all. I mean, you're trying to apply physics to something that can break the laws of physics just by existing. That poo poo don't fly.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

LobsterTick posted:

That's one thing I always thought was great about EverymanHYBRID. Evan tries to beat the poo poo out of Slenderman with a bat, and at another point they try to run him over with a car. They end up getting hosed up but at least they tried!

To Jay's credit, at least he tried to tackle him or something at the end of S2.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
For me it is kinda like someone getting mad at a tornado, it is just silly and pointless. All you can really do about Slenderman is trying not to get noticed and run the other way If you see him.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Oasx posted:

For me it is kinda like someone getting mad at a tornado, it is just silly and pointless.

The sun shines, grass grows, bird sing, and the Slenderman Slenders things. Seems logical. Though I want to know where he keeps getting those plastic bags he stuffs those organs into. That was the one thing of the entire thing that made me just sort of go 'really?'

I mean its not like S&M can walk into the local grocery store and just buy a pack of Hefty garbage bags.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

E-Tank posted:

The sun shines, grass grows, bird sing, and the Slenderman Slenders things. Seems logical. Though I want to know where he keeps getting those plastic bags he stuffs those organs into. That was the one thing of the entire thing that made me just sort of go 'really?'

I mean its not like S&M can walk into the local grocery store and just buy a pack of Hefty garbage bags.
Stop being dumb.
Slenderman uses paper. :colbert:

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

E-Tank posted:

I think it was more of a homage/reference to the original Viktor Surge posts.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

E-Tank posted:

They aren't really plastic. They just look like plastic. He extrudes them from his butt, kind of like a spider.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Angela Christine posted:

They aren't really plastic. They just look like plastic. He extrudes them from his butt, kind of like a spider.

And now I can never find Slenderman scary ever again. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

E-Tank posted:

And now I can never find Slenderman scary ever again. :golfclap:

Are you kidding me? Do you not realize how much scarier Slenderman just got. He could poo poo a bag around your face and suffocate you to death. Can you imagine your final pitiful breathes being that of Slenderass?

• Locked thread