Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

For whatever reason, :krad: bikes have been finding me lately.

This was in front of my house, no idea what it is. On the other side was a huge cone air filter a-la harley.

Then there was this abomination, which apparently was a big bore 1200 something:

Get it? Get it? CB-Xtra, because of the big bore guys! Get it?

:downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
First one is a Buell X1 Lightning and you are correct: :krad:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nsaP posted:

Touche.

Sagebrush, are you angry? Do you yell about your rights?

I am always angry. Angry about rights!

I get inordinately mad at any vehicles doing stupid illegal poo poo that ruins it for everyone. Bicycles blowing red lights and blatantly ignoring the cars that are already in the road, motorcycles splitting the lane when traffic is moving 50 miles an hour, and essentially everything that cars do. Improper signaling of turns is a huge one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

More motorcycle pictures for the motorcycle picture god.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I often find myself giving the "Your indicator is on" hand signal to a lot of bikes (mainly scooters) in Seattle. I usually get a blank stare or they just wave to me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Pope Mobile posted:

I often find myself giving the "Your indicator is on" hand signal to a lot of bikes (mainly scooters) in Seattle. I usually get a blank stare or they just wave to me.

What hand signal is that?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Hold your hand out like you're going to wave but open and close your palm to mimic a flashing light.
It can actually be pretty dangerous because people will think you're turning when you have no intention to and pass you in your lane. I was almost hit a couple times when I first started riding because I'd forgotten to turn off my indicator.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 22, 2013

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Pope Mobile posted:

Hold your hand out like you're going to wave but open and close your palm to mimic a flashing light.

You hold out your hand at me then I'm waving at you!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Who waves by opening and closing their palm? I know my friends and I aren't the only ones that do this. I've had riders give me that signal before.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Pope Mobile posted:

Who waves by opening and closing their palm? I know my friends and I aren't the only ones that do this. I've had riders give me that signal before.

I wave like that, for cops I tap my fist on top of my helmet.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Pope Mobile posted:

When I've tried to use hand signals to motorcyclists they don't have any loving clue. More than once I've tried to signal that a cop was ahead to an oncoming rider (tapping the top of your helmet, right?) and just got the most bewildered looks.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Some people are taught differently. I've had people tap their helmet for cops, but it can also mean "brights". The same two signals get mixed up with flashing your brights.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Pope Mobile posted:

Some people are taught differently. I've had people tap their helmet for cops, but it can also mean "brights". The same two signals get mixed up with flashing your brights.

Yeah I know the brights signal, but that's usally done with an open hand. I do it with a closed fist like I'm knocking on my helmet. I've been told you can get a ticket for flashing your lights, but I don't know if that's true or not.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

When I've tried to use hand signals to motorcyclists they don't have any loving clue. More than once I've tried to signal that a cop was ahead to an oncoming rider (tapping the top of your helmet, right?) and just got the most bewildered looks.

This is often my experience, too.

I once even had a guy give me the "SLOW DOWN" hand signal - palm down, moving hand downward - which did prompt me to check my speed and made me realize I was doing 5 under. I was momentarily confused until I saw the CHP with his lidar or whatever out. A tap on the top of his helmet would have been more informative.

I have a fairly close group of riding friends and we use hand signals to organize the group on the road. One we've adopted is two fingers like a peace sign on top of the helmet to indicate "just saw animal, be alert".

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Yeah I know the brights signal, but that's usally done with an open hand. I do it with a closed fist like I'm knocking on my helmet. I've been told you can get a ticket for flashing your lights, but I don't know if that's true or not.

You can. An kid I went to high school with got charged with "interfering with police business" for flashing his lights to warn other drivers about a speed trap.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Can I be the first to say that the "interfering with police business" business is garbage. I can see getting in infraction for improper use of the high beams or whatever - in WA it's illegal and ticketable to use high beams within a certain distance of other traffic for any reason - but to specifically cite someone for using communication to inform somebody about unusual road conditions ahead... solve some crime guys, seriously.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

clutchpuck posted:

This is often my experience, too.

I once even had a guy give me the "SLOW DOWN" hand signal - palm down, moving hand downward - which did prompt me to check my speed and made me realize I was doing 5 under. I was momentarily confused until I saw the CHP with his lidar or whatever out. A tap on the top of his helmet would have been more informative.

I have a fairly close group of riding friends and we use hand signals to organize the group on the road. One we've adopted is two fingers like a peace sign on top of the helmet to indicate "just saw animal, be alert".

We scooterists use one or two fingers on top of the helmet like that for single/double-file, like if the road narrows or there's a bicyclist or some other reason to not use the whole lane. We've got some others that as far as I know are unique to this community but they all also deal with group riding.

People in general aren't good at communicating on the road. In my car I flash my headlights (not my brights, because I don't think that's noticeable, but actually my headlights on/off) at cars all the time to try and tell them their headlights are off and they rarely notice.

e: because too many words

(i spy... me!)

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 22, 2013

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

People in general aren't good at communicating on the road. In my I flash my headlights (not my brights, because I don't think that's noticeable, but actually my headlights on/off) at cars all the time to try and tell them their headlights are off and they rarely notice.

I use my brights because I can't turn my headlight off and usually get the same response. Happens a lot with people coming off the ferry. They just forget to turn the things on.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

clutchpuck posted:

Can I be the first to say that the "interfering with police business" business is garbage. I can see getting in infraction for improper use of the high beams or whatever - in WA it's illegal and ticketable to use high beams within a certain distance of other traffic for any reason - but to specifically cite someone for using communication to inform somebody about unusual road conditions ahead... solve some crime guys, seriously.

Yeah...sounds like power tripping to me. Warning somebody not to commit a crime is not a crime.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
One of the LEOs on BARF encourages people to warn other people of speed traps - his department uses them in high accident areas to slow down traffic and reduce fatals.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

We actually had a court case a few years ago up here where the cops charged some guy with flashing his lights and the guy fought it in court. Basically, the Judge agreed with the dude because if the whole purpose of a speed-trap was to slow people down, that's all the guy was doing.

We've also locally have people have put signs up a block away from photo-radar units operating with something scrawled like "PHOTO RADAR AHEAD" and the cops seem leave them be.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I recently had to read the Oregon DMV handbook and it says flashing brights for any reason (e.g. passing) is illegal. This is possibly because using brights on city roads is illegal.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SaNChEzZ posted:

Then there was this abomination, which apparently was a big bore 1200 something:

Get it? Get it? CB-Xtra, because of the big bore guys! Get it?

:downsrim:

That is a CBX and you should show proper respect dammit

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

But how will he re-tension the wheel bearing? :ohdear:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

hayden. posted:

This is possibly because using brights on city roads is illegal.

What? Why? What if the streetlights are out and nobody is oncoming?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

please dont post my valetines card to my wife

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

What? Why? What if the streetlights are out and nobody is oncoming?

I realized that's just something I've heard, I don't know if it's accurate. Here's what the handbook for Oregon says:

quote:

Do not flash your bright lights to signal that you want to pass. It is illegal to flash your bright lights when following a vehicle closer than 350 feet.

When your vehicle’s high beam headlights are on, you must dim or lower the beam when an oncoming vehicle is within 500 feet. You also must turn off any auxiliary lights.

So I guess a cop could ticket anyone for flashing brights, even during the day, whenever they're close to a car in front of them in either their own lane or the oncoming lane.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Legdiian posted:

What hand signal is that?

Hi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zKQv2dc-cM

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

hayden. posted:

I recently had to read the Oregon DMV handbook and it says flashing brights for any reason (e.g. passing) is illegal. This is possibly because using brights on city roads is illegal.

Why does this have round motorcycle tires on the back?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Day Man posted:

Why does this have round motorcycle tires on the back?

I had that same question and then I looked at the handlebars, then the rest of it and I just said "gently caress it, there are no good answers" and left it at that.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

slidebite posted:

We actually had a court case a few years ago up here where the cops charged some guy with flashing his lights and the guy fought it in court. Basically, the Judge agreed with the dude because if the whole purpose of a speed-trap was to slow people down, that's all the guy was doing.

In Queensland, the cops openly tell you they can (and have) picked people up for "hindering police" and "improper use of headlights". In NSW, they can get you for flashing the headlights because the only people allowed to do so are emergency vehicles responding to an emergency.

If I know speed traps are out, I'll generally open my throttle hand (left hand road usage) and indicate slow down. Commonly accepted as slow down in Australia given it's the same signal cops and other traffic guidance people will use, and I'm not explicitly warning of police ahead. No idea how that would hold up in court, IANAL. It's up to the rider to realise what it means, and most do.

Frankly, if they're not observant enough to see it, or too thick to understand it, gently caress'em, they deserve the ticket.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Ohmigodhitoyou is now an injoke with me and my boyfriend. I hope you're proud of yourself.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can't remember if this was here already or not.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 23, 2013

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
That bike is missing some essential parts, most notably a chain.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

xd posted:

That bike is missing some essential parts, most notably a chain.

Who needs brakes when you cant even get it going?

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
http://youtu.be/7ZmJtYaUTa0

Pretty cool bicycle hooning.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I've always been under the impression that those wheels did not respond well to loading from the side.

Smile
Dec 16, 2005

Backov posted:

http://youtu.be/7ZmJtYaUTa0

Pretty cool bicycle hooning.

That was pretty nuts.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I wonder if those are special wheels because like Safety said, I've heard those things break from anything really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Thems are Hope carbon wheels.