Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

kitten smoothie posted:

By "this won't end well" I mean the fact that Twitter has already pretty much told him to FOAD and this looks like an attempt to sidestep that.

I think he's trying to get around the fact that a lot of those tokens are just people who never released theirs. And to possibly catch the pirates off guard. It will be interesting to see how Twitter responds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

By "this won't end well" I mean the fact that Twitter has already pretty much told him to FOAD and this looks like an attempt to sidestep that.

Some Windows 8 dev did this too. He ran out of tokens so he just took his app down, made it [app name] 2 (can't remember the dev or the app) and got new tokens.

sethsez posted:

So is text in Chrome blurry as hell for everyone now or is it just me? Using a Nexus 7.

Looks fine on my Nexus 4.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

MrC posted:

I think he's trying to get around the fact that a lot of those tokens are just people who never released theirs. And to possibly catch the pirates off guard. It will be interesting to see how Twitter responds.

Can they even (justifiably) do anything though? I mean if the guy's only allowed X number of tokens, isn't it up to him how he manages them? It's not like he's gaming the system to get more. If Twitter are bothered about their users' experience then they shouldn't be enforcing this kind of limit in the first place.

Obviously they can do what they want, but it doesn't seem so unreasonable in the circumstances

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Uh, so is the new Pocket Casts not downloading podcasts on schedule for anyone else? I've got it set to check for new episodes every morning at 3am on wifi and it IS checking and adding them to the list, but it's not actually downloading them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I was emailed a .wmv file which I couldn't download on my n4 until I had something to read it so I installed open video. All good until I tried to do the same on my n7. I can't find an app that will open this .wmv on my n7, any suggestions? Why does it behave differently on the 2 devices?

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Cakefool posted:

I was emailed a .wmv file which I couldn't download on my n4 until I had something to read it so I installed open video. All good until I tried to do the same on my n7. I can't find an app that will open this .wmv on my n7, any suggestions? Why does it behave differently on the 2 devices?

DicePlayer - it was good enough for me to actually buy. It looks like its gone freeware, so no need to fork out for it.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Require More Fire posted:

Uh, so is the new Pocket Casts not downloading podcasts on schedule for anyone else? I've got it set to check for new episodes every morning at 3am on wifi and it IS checking and adding them to the list, but it's not actually downloading them.

I had to edit the settings of a playlist (I chose the "Audio" playlist) to auto download the episodes added to it.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Grim Up North posted:

I had to edit the settings of a playlist (I chose the "Audio" playlist) to auto download the episodes added to it.

Oh, yeah, that did it. I like the new app overall but some of the settings are in stupid places.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tornhelm posted:

DicePlayer - it was good enough for me to actually buy. It looks like its gone freeware, so no need to fork out for it.

Diceplayer won't open the file on either the n7 or n4. I think there's something odd about the file but I got it to play in open video

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Cakefool posted:

Diceplayer won't open the file on either the n7 or n4. I think there's something odd about the file but I got it to play in open video

WMV isn't actually one specific format, so maybe it uses one of the rarer codecs

smr
Dec 18, 2002

So, just got my N4 (yay!) and immediately installed DashClock, which is just aces.

I do have one question, though: is there a way to have DashClock immediately show the expanded notifications screen? Like, right now, if I press the power button to wake the phone, DashClock is my lockscreen, but it's the scrunched version with the notifications just jammed to the right of the clock. I can longpress and then drag down to expose the more-full notifications list, but I'd really prefer to skip that step and have that view be the default when I activate my phone.

Is this possible?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
I wish DashClock would get regular widget support so us poor non-4.2 people could use it with WidgetLocker for now. :smith:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

smr posted:

I do have one question, though: is there a way to have DashClock immediately show the expanded notifications screen?
It's possible, but only with a third-party ROM like CyanogenMod.

Edit:

Require More Fire posted:

I wish DashClock would get regular widget support so us poor non-4.2 people could use it with WidgetLocker for now. :smith:
It does, I already use it on my homescreen, it's great since you can make it fill the whole screen, it's like a quick reference guide to stuff that I most likely want to know about. Sort of like Google Now except with stuff about my phone like missed calls and battery status.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 28, 2013

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Tunga posted:

It does, I already use it on my homescreen, it's great since you can make it fill the whole screen, it's like a quick reference guide to stuff that I most likely want to know about. Sort of like Google Now except with stuff about my phone like missed calls and battery status.

I wish it supported ICS. I'm pretty sure it's JB only.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

sethsez posted:

So is text in Chrome blurry as hell for everyone now or is it just me? Using a Nexus 7.

Yes, I have the same problem, it also seems like everything is bolded slightly. Blurry text is giving me a headache. Nexus7

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aero737 posted:

Yes, I have the same problem, it also seems like everything is bolded slightly. Blurry text is giving me a headache. Nexus7
I think this happens because of the larger pixel size on the N7. I get it too but only really in the browser at arbitrary zoom levels. And if I adjust the zoom level a little there are points where things go sharp again.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Tunga posted:

I think this happens because of the larger pixel size on the N7. I get it too but only really in the browser at arbitrary zoom levels. And if I adjust the zoom level a little there are points where things go sharp again.

This wasn't happening with the previous version of Chrome, though, and judging by reviews it seems to be affecting a decent number of people. I haven't been using the beta so maybe it's just something that was changed months ago there and everyone else has already gotten used to it, but I can't imagine this is intentional.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
I checked the OP but didnt see anything. ls there a preffered app for Using NFC tags and triggers?

hamza
Mar 3, 2007

sethsez posted:

This wasn't happening with the previous version of Chrome, though, and judging by reviews it seems to be affecting a decent number of people. I haven't been using the beta so maybe it's just something that was changed months ago there and everyone else has already gotten used to it, but I can't imagine this is intentional.

This has happened to me as well. I'm running CM10.1 nightlies on an N7, but have seen lots of complaints about it on stock devices. Open bug discussion of it here.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

sethsez posted:

So is text in Chrome blurry as hell for everyone now or is it just me?
No, screenshot?

Edit: OK, there's screen shots in the bug report, definitely doesn't look like that. The text is blurry when you initially zoom in, but then it re-renders. Maybe the re-rendering isn't happening?

Aero737 posted:

it also seems like everything is bolded slightly.
The default font size is larger now, which make things look bolder. Shouldn't be blurry though. :(

Edit edit: For a variety of reasons I feel like they pushed the Chrome update out too quickly, there were (are) still obviously issues in the beta. I guess they really wanted to dump Chrome 18.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 28, 2013

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

uapyro posted:

I checked the OP but didnt see anything. ls there a preffered app for Using NFC tags and triggers?

NFC Task Launcher is free and is pretty nifty.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

Thanks. That's the one I tried since it was first in the list; I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something way better out there.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

No, screenshot?

Edit: OK, there's screen shots in the bug report, definitely doesn't look like that. The text is blurry when you initially zoom in, but then it re-renders. Maybe the re-rendering isn't happening?

The default font size is larger now, which make things look bolder. Shouldn't be blurry though. :(

Edit edit: For a variety of reasons I feel like they pushed the Chrome update out too quickly, there were (are) still obviously issues in the beta. I guess they really wanted to dump Chrome 18.

I don't know why they did either. They pretty much just took the beta and added features that it didn't have and pushed it out as the finished product.

As I said before, there's still bugs with the vibration in the app just suddenly no longer functioning. There's also choppy problems with scrolling in the beta that have moved over to final version.

Basically the final version now contains every bug the beta has + new features.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
So my mom bought a N7 today and asked me if I could help her set it up. Unfortunately I live over 2k miles from her, and I've never used a N7. Do any apps exist that will let her share her screen with me?

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

kitten smoothie posted:

I use that one too but using NFC to lock and unlock my phone doesn't work very well. My phone is locked by default and after using a NFC tag to bypass the lockscreen, it'll work for a few hours before it reverts to enabling the lockscreen again.

Does anyone know if a different NFC manager does a better job with this? Or is it just a limitation of Android security?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Super Dude posted:

So my mom bought a N7 today and asked me if I could help her set it up. Unfortunately I live over 2k miles from her, and I've never used a N7. Do any apps exist that will let her share her screen with me?

Facetime :iamafag:

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

The Gadfly posted:

I use that one too but using NFC to lock and unlock my phone doesn't work very well. My phone is locked by default and after using a NFC tag to bypass the lockscreen, it'll work for a few hours before it reverts to enabling the lockscreen again.

Does anyone know if a different NFC manager does a better job with this? Or is it just a limitation of Android security?

I thought NFC was disabled by default when the screen is either off, or on the lock screen. I saw something while browsing XDA for the Galaxy S3 that is supposed to make it be enabled all the time; if that's available on other phones I don't know.

Edit: Link
http://goo.gl/O3LGQ goes to XDA for the S3

uapyro fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 28, 2013

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Super Dude posted:

No, but the next best thing would be to link her to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQuxgA1uhzM&list=PL054D9E8009DE0740&index=4. The first two (video 4 & 5 in playlist) should be enough of a primer, though 6-10 won't hurt if she's inclined.

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin
Lame question guys

I broke down and decided to try out google music (or play, whatever the hell its called) cause audiogalaxy went down last month. Im on my pc looking at the music I have uploaded....how do I change the albums from tab view to list view -_-

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
You can see two problems, one is blurred text at default zoom, the other is the differing text sizes from different posters. Sometimes its a huge size difference.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The biggest problem I see is you not using Awful Betamax to read the forums.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

uapyro posted:

I thought NFC was disabled by default when the screen is either off, or on the lock screen. I saw something while browsing XDA for the Galaxy S3 that is supposed to make it be enabled all the time; if that's available on other phones I don't know.

Edit: Link
http://goo.gl/O3LGQ goes to XDA for the S3

Yeah I realize that I can't disable the lockscreen without first unlocking the phone and then touching my phone to the NFC tag. I meant that after I succeed at receiving the "disable lockscreen" command from the NFC tag, it works as intended for a few hours, in that I can now wake my phone without having to draw a pattern. But some time later, it reverts back to the locking me out again upon waking up even though I never told my phone or the NFC manager to stop using profile "disable lockscreen". I think it is caused by the method that the NFC manager is using the disable android lockscreens. Maybe when the NFC Task Manager gets cleared out of RAM to make space for other programs, it causes that program to stop being able to keep my phone from locking upon wake up. So I was wondering if anyone knew of a different NFC program that doesn't have this issue. Sorry if I'm still explaining this poorly.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Aero737 posted:

You can see two problems, one is blurred text at default zoom, the other is the differing text sizes from different posters. Sometimes its a huge size difference.

The differing text thing is just yet another bug that Chrome Beta has. Google didn't fix any of them, they just moved the current Beta to final and threw new things on.

This probably won't be fixed until the Beta is fixed. That may be a month from now since it usually gets updates once or twice a month.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Just wanted to throw in that I finally installed Firefox (Aurora to be precise) on my ancient phone, and it's awesome. Granted much of it is the integration with my desktop Firefox via Sync, but I like it more than the sluggish, not-flash-supporting beast that Chrome was on my phone. The only thing I'm missing is the touch disambiguation pop-up in Chrome.

So if you haven't tried Firefox on Android and especially if you use it on your desktop you should definitely check it out.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Gadfly posted:

Yeah I realize that I can't disable the lockscreen without first unlocking the phone and then touching my phone to the NFC tag. I meant that after I succeed at receiving the "disable lockscreen" command from the NFC tag, it works as intended for a few hours, in that I can now wake my phone without having to draw a pattern. But some time later, it reverts back to the locking me out again upon waking up even though I never told my phone or the NFC manager to stop using profile "disable lockscreen". I think it is caused by the method that the NFC manager is using the disable android lockscreens. Maybe when the NFC Task Manager gets cleared out of RAM to make space for other programs, it causes that program to stop being able to keep my phone from locking upon wake up. So I was wondering if anyone knew of a different NFC program that doesn't have this issue. Sorry if I'm still explaining this poorly.
It's been this way since Gingerbread. Disabling the lockscreen only works for a while before it's automatically reenabled. It even behaves this way in CM.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

It's been this way since Gingerbread. Disabling the lockscreen only works for a while before it's automatically reenabled. It even behaves this way in CM.

Fortunately in CM you can set up a CM profile that disables your lockscreen and it stays off until you disable the profile. It's the only way I've been able to reliably do it.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Alright I guess it's just an android limitation then. I'm running TW so unfortunately I can't use the CM profile workaround.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Sometimes I feel like a hater, but what's the point of the Google Now packages card? It comes up when you get a shipping confirmation, which you get in your email, which already goes to your phone.

There's two buttons on the card, track package,which none of the tracking websites have any information when the delivery is first confirmed, and open email, which opens the browser instead of the gmail app.

Is the idea to leave the cards up and not swipe them away to get to the tracking websites easier? I probably just answered my own question there.

Some of these cards seem like a "cool idea" to me but not that useful. I also know that I can turn them off if I want.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Goose Halo posted:

Sometimes I feel like a hater, but what's the point of the Google Now packages card? It comes up when you get a shipping confirmation, which you get in your email, which already goes to your phone.

There's two buttons on the card, track package,which none of the tracking websites have any information when the delivery is first confirmed, and open email, which opens the browser instead of the gmail app.

Is the idea to leave the cards up and not swipe them away to get to the tracking websites easier? I probably just answered my own question there.

Some of these cards seem like a "cool idea" to me but not that useful. I also know that I can turn them off if I want.

Some people buy a lot of stuff online, and it's an easier way to get to tracking your packages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Goose Halo posted:

In my experience, when it comes up it actually spits out the tracking information like when it will be delivered, when it was last scanned etc just fine most of the time. I guess it just depends on who's shipping but it tends to work best for me with FedEx and USPS packages for some reason.

• Locked thread