Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Ah that makes a lot of sense. I guess that's why all the crit builds I see use daggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

sentrygun posted:

In the end, the end-all be-all is probably X build full of 120 life nodes, but that doesn't mean other builds don't do fine too.

So, best build ever?:http://goo.gl/w3IZK :cheeky:

:(

EDIT:
On a more serious note, perhaps a dagger build like this?: http://goo.gl/C1t3W

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 1, 2013

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Mymla posted:

So I've been playing on an off for a few days. It's funny how a free game is so much more fun than D3 was.
Anyway, I'm playing a ranger and I need someone to tell me how poo poo my build is and why.
This is what it looks like right now, and this is what I'm going for.
I'm mainly using Frenzy and Lightning Arrow, and that seems to be working fine. But the question is, am I gonna need a lot more health/other stuff to survive in later difficulties?

You're going to need a whole lot more defense, and Arrow Dodging is not that whole lot more defense. You really need to grab what life you can, and should probably head down past Duelist and into Marauder instead of going up to Shadow. You're getting a ton of crit chance which isn't an awful idea considering that gives you a good chance to shock stuff, but it's still a huge investment for not a whole lot of effect.

Basically, you're going to have two glaring problems. 1.) You will get killed when things hit you because you have barely any Life nodes and barely any Energy Shield nodes. 2.) You will not be able to fire the arrows you want to, especially not the horrible glutton for mana that is Frenzy. You have absolutely nothing giving you extra mana or mana regen, you won't have the resources to sustain the really good basic auras you probably want to run, and you'll be stuck chugging flasks for barely any mana and being stuck using normal attacks a whole lot. Either get Blood Magic or find a way to give yourself way more mana (Eldritch Battery, Mana Flows, etc.).

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

freeb0rn posted:

Resist nodes are great. Put points in them while your gear doesn't let you have the res you want and if you find better gear you can respec those points.

Resist nodes are great IF you're not going out of your way to get them, and they're not those crappy 6% all resist/15% single resist/15% single resist clusters. Those are definitely not worth it. Most builds will pass by a few 10% all resist/something else nodes or some of the 15% all resist nodes. A few of those are more than enough, along with very mediocre gear, to cap your resists in Merciless.

Now, it's worth noting that having over cap resists is not always a bad thing, since it allows you to more effectively deal with curses that lower your resists, but it's not really ideal either, since curses are easy to clear with a Flask, and almost any other kind of resistance-related effect will not take your bonus resists into account (Resistance Penetration and lowered Max Resists).

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Curses are also really easy to plan for. It's not like you're going to be blindsided with a rare mob that knows how to curse since that's not a thing that tags can do.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

What the heck? Everything I think of is gimpy and awful, at least that is the impression I'm getting. Is there only like one build that is decent in this game? I guess all str/armor/health, mace/shield only? Marauder only? Ugh... :(

No, just because ES/CI is worth than HP and armour doesn't mean it's unusable or something. Just do whatever man, if it doesn't work you can always re-roll.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Is there some guide as to what to look for with rares loot? I just sell anything that doesn't have lots of sockets and links. I just started act 3 merciless. I know about R-G-B whites and all that. I'm just wondering if I'm throwing away good rares for crafting materials.

Grammaton fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 1, 2013

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Is it bad that I noticed that guy missed a couple life nodes to take Slaughter and Swashbuckler? Red doesn't always mean life :colbert:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

sentrygun posted:

You're going to need a whole lot more defense, and Arrow Dodging is not that whole lot more defense. You really need to grab what life you can, and should probably head down past Duelist and into Marauder instead of going up to Shadow. You're getting a ton of crit chance which isn't an awful idea considering that gives you a good chance to shock stuff, but it's still a huge investment for not a whole lot of effect.

Basically, you're going to have two glaring problems. 1.) You will get killed when things hit you because you have barely any Life nodes and barely any Energy Shield nodes. 2.) You will not be able to fire the arrows you want to, especially not the horrible glutton for mana that is Frenzy. You have absolutely nothing giving you extra mana or mana regen, you won't have the resources to sustain the really good basic auras you probably want to run, and you'll be stuck chugging flasks for barely any mana and being stuck using normal attacks a whole lot. Either get Blood Magic or find a way to give yourself way more mana (Eldritch Battery, Mana Flows, etc.).

Would Mind Drinker be enough to deal with mana problems? 2% doesn't sound like much, but when you're doing several hundred DPS and most skills don't cost that much mana... I'm currently using Hatred as my only aura and I'm not having any real mana issues so far, but I'm guessing that'll change if I want to use skills with a lot of support gems?

I've been kind of tempted to get Acrobatics, but it feels like losing ALL armor for 20-30% extra dodge and a chance to dodge spells is a bit of a... dodgy trade. :downsrim:

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Mymla posted:

Would Mind Drinker be enough to deal with mana problems? 2% doesn't sound like much, but when you're doing several hundred DPS and most skills don't cost that much mana... I'm currently using Hatred as my only aura and I'm not having any real mana issues so far, but I'm guessing that'll change if I want to use skills with a lot of support gems?

I've been kind of tempted to get Acrobatics, but it feels like losing ALL armor for 20-30% extra dodge and a chance to dodge spells is a bit of a... dodgy trade. :downsrim:

You're using Lightning Arrow as your AoE, so no. Only the smaller physical portion will leech, and it won't amount to much. If you were dealing primarily physical with Split Arrow or something, maybe you could manage with some decent chunk of mana leech (more than 2%). Mind Drinker's a neat thing to grab if you're near it and deal large amounts of Physical Attack damage, but by itself it's not a solution to your resource woes.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm indecisive as gently caress. On the plus side, my new character twink package is sufficient to clear A1 with absolutely no skill points spent and never having to return to town, even once. So now I've got a Templar with 17 unspent skill points for whenever I decide to spend them.

I realized that I have a perfect Carnage Heart that's been sitting on my semi-retired DW Ranger. So I'm thinking of doing a dual dagger CI Shadow build that revolves around Ghost Reaver. The plus side is that this gives me 10% life leech, the downside of course being 25% reduced energy shield. Another downside is the lack of physical AOE damage that would recharge my shield quickly. Either way, it gives me an excuse to build something around crits, which I never really play with ever, and energy shield, something that I also rarely ever get to play with.

This is what I'm currently planning on doing.

Someone point out why this is a terrible idea.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

some goon in Private Message posted:

Hey, tell me how you did your Facebreaker build!

I'll summarize everything for the benefit of anyone else wanting to know...

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...kXynPZI977-Cv6P

Passive stats are pretty inconsequential to the build, but you will want to be Maurader and nab both Life Leech orbs. You will definitely need Resolute Technique. Toss all the rest into HP and resistances. Don't take Blood Magic or Vaal Pact, you absolutely won't need them.

The rest is entirely through gear.

- Find Iron Rings (1-4 damage) and enchant them to add even more base damage. Those and anything else with base melee damage will be multiplied 10 times with the gloves.
- Getting 1 or 2 % mana leech will make your punches free. Ammy's can have both base damage and leech, like rings.
- Hatred and Haste auras will add about 20% and 7% respectively to your DPS. Link them with a Reduced Mana gem to lower the amount of MP they reserve.
- Use Infernal Blow as your main attack. Melee Damage gem will add 30% DPS, Faster Attacks will add 30% DPS, Added Fire Damage will add 30% DPS.
- There are some quivers with added leech and/or 10% increased attack speed. Or you can use the Crest of Perandus shield for around 3% life leech and great blocking.
- Meginord's Girdle is the most expensive item for the build at around 30 chaos orbs, but it gives 10-20 added damage (becomes 100-200) and 10% more life.
- Foxshade unique wild leather is the only chest armor that gives added base damage.

The build is somewhat vulnerable defensively; even with a huge HP pool, you're still a melee and have to punch everything at point blank. Plus, the gear you run doesn't allow for much HP or Armor stacking. I use a spell totem with Frost Wall, it will spam walls that will block enemies from all rushing you at once, or pinning you down with projectiles. I've also heard of people using Warlord's Mark with a Molten Shell linked to Life Leech, to trigger a giant, leeching explosion when they are beat on too hard. Third defense option if you're running a shield would be Tempest Shield. The Templar area has block bonues, and there are elemental damage increases that will help both the shield and the Infernal Blow fire damage. Oh, I run 5 HP flasks set to cycle 1 through 5 back to 1 on my Xpadder, and give all of them some instant recovery, so I can mash my way through anything. Meginlord fills flasks back up 25% faster.

I took the 40 life in A2 because I felt like it. Absolutely take the 12% melee damage in Cruel, it gave me 500 more DPS on the spot.

If you somehow want to do even more damage, you can actually use Blackgleam Quiver's 30-50% damage converted to fire along with Infernal Blow to convert up to 100% of the Melee Damage into physical. Then any fire and elemental damage bonuses from gear and passives would put the damage into stupid-high territory.

Me, I'm working on seeing if there's some way I can leverage burning damage into some kind of AoE. Unfortunately, because Infernal Blow detonates corpses, it won't work with Elemental Proliferation.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Vasudus posted:

This is what I'm currently planning on doing.

Someone point out why this is a terrible idea.

Outside of DW being weird if you don't have two really good weapons at any given time instead of just one, seems fine to me. Seems like a pretty regular Lightning Strike and Dual Strike/Flicker Strike build focusing on CI. At worst, I wouldn't do something so risky in Hardcore, but otherwise I don't see what's wrong with it. At worst there's nothing to improve your resource besides INT nodes and Deep Wisdom, but if you're leeching enough Mana I don't think that'll be a big problem. Might not be able to run much in the way of auras though.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

sentrygun posted:

Outside of DW being weird if you don't have two really good weapons at any given time instead of just one, seems fine to me. Seems like a pretty regular Lightning Strike and Dual Strike/Flicker Strike build focusing on CI. At worst, I wouldn't do something so risky in Hardcore, but otherwise I don't see what's wrong with it. At worst there's nothing to improve your resource besides INT nodes and Deep Wisdom, but if you're leeching enough Mana I don't think that'll be a big problem. Might not be able to run much in the way of auras though.

Yeah, that's about the conclusion that I reached. Probably just going to run like two or three auras.

gently caress it, I'll give it a try.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Mymla posted:

It really isn't that bad of a trade off going evasion instead of armor. Armor has diminishing returns, and does less and less the more damage being dealt and it's only for physical damage. Evasion on top of letting you avoid physical damage, lets you dodge crits and status ailments attached to the attacks.

With a large health pool I would think Armor and Evasion are about equivalent in terms of overall physical damage mitigation.

Dr. Goodsex
Sep 19, 2010

Notres langues nous trompent.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So, best build ever?:http://goo.gl/w3IZK :cheeky:

:(

EDIT:
On a more serious note, perhaps a dagger build like this?: http://goo.gl/C1t3W

I see some inefficiencies here, assuming you're after maximum life. Where you go up from the Marauder start towards the Templar start and get int/int/str/dex/str/str you could instead go to the left first towards elemental adaptation (which is extremely good) and take the same number of nodes but all strength which is more health.

I'd also suggest in the Templar start getting the body and soul loop there. In Merciless (and Cruel for that matter) there is a penalty to all resistances and it'd be extremely hard to get enough from just gear alone.

And in the far bottom right of the grid why do you have those 5 points in dex?

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.

.Z. posted:

It really isn't that bad of a trade off going evasion instead of armor. Armor has diminishing returns, and does less and less the more damage being dealt and it's only for physical damage. Evasion on top of letting you avoid physical damage, lets you dodge crits and status ailments attached to the attacks.

With a large health pool I would think Armor and Evasion are about equivalent in terms of overall physical damage mitigation.

You actually usually want both armor and evasion. Most people before maps buy into the 'LR is the only way to make use of Evasion' case, but lot of engdgame builds use evasion with armor. Like you mentioned, Armor has diminishing returns; once you hit 55% reduction or so, you start getting much less bang for your buck with armor. This is where some build will either: A) fill slots with low or off defense uniques to boost their other stats, or B) start adding in armor/evasion pieces of armor. Trading 5% in armor damage mitigation can get you upwards of 20% evasion depending on where you're at. No matter how much armor you have you're going to need to chug granite flasks at some point, anyways, so you may as well trade some armor for evade chance if you can fit it in.

I have a 76 LS/flurry build with 60% evade/65% block/30% dodge that's way more survivable than my 74 EK Marauder, though. Being nigh immune to non-spell projectiles is frickin' sweet. I hardly have to worry about chaos damage.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
What's everyone's favorite Shadow Ethereal Knives build? I'm looking at the low life one myself (I play default). This one: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/182886

Are there better choices?

limbohead
Jan 1, 2005
pigeons is rats with magic inside
Would this be a good ranger build for the three hour race coming up: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...5Ga8QiJkyVdaIw2

I have a feeling it's crap because I never made a build before.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

limbohead posted:

Would this be a good ranger build for the three hour race coming up: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...5Ga8QiJkyVdaIw2

I have a feeling it's crap because I never made a build before.
here

That is the shell to my ranger race build. I haven't raced as a ranger in a while, and I likely won't grab the 30 int node once fire trap is nerfed in a few days.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Gerdalti posted:

What's everyone's favorite Shadow Ethereal Knives build? I'm looking at the low life one myself (I play default). This one: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/182886

I haven't tried this build but if you're at 35% HP at all times with no +HP you're going to get your poo poo kicked in by chaos damage mobs.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

So I just had a "The Magnate" drop. Feeling pretty good about myself.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Anyone else noticed fps drops since either the last patch or the one just before it? Especially around auras, totems and such.
I used to get pretty much flat 60fps the whole time, but now I frequently drop to 40 or so in places like the vaal ruins where there's lot of totems.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

Gerdalti posted:

Yeah that build is extremely glass cannon. Reflect Physical and chaos damage will kill you countless times. Not to mention he's using low level uniques for everything. You're much better off with one of the eldritch battery/armor/life builds. Reflect physical is your number one worst enemy using EK, so high life + armor is extremely important. The only problem I have with the EB builds is you have to roll a bunch of green sockets on an armor chest, but it's doable.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Forgive me if this is a really overdone question, but are there plans to eventually implement some sort of semi-automated trading system? The only real concrete thing I've found is that GGG is decidedly *not* going to make an in-game auction house, but have they stated a desire to do anything else in that realm?

Alternately: I like playing these games without human interaction because I am a sperglord, and that includes having to find people in tradechat, PLEASE CATER TO ME GAME

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Mo0 posted:

Forgive me if this is a really overdone question, but are there plans to eventually implement some sort of semi-automated trading system? The only real concrete thing I've found is that GGG is decidedly *not* going to make an in-game auction house, but have they stated a desire to do anything else in that realm?

Alternately: I like playing these games without human interaction because I am a sperglord, and that includes having to find people in tradechat, PLEASE CATER TO ME GAME

There's gonna be storefronts or something that you can trade with on the site, so yeah.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

10bux posted:

The only problem I have with the EB builds is you have to roll a bunch of green sockets on an armor chest, but it's doable.

You go Iron Reflexes and run all evasion gear except one or two beefy ES or EV/ES hybrids. Running grace and determination and having some armor nodes will give you a ton of armor and then it's just a matter of getting as much HP as possible.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

sentrygun posted:

There's gonna be storefronts or something that you can trade with on the site, so yeah.

Awesome, that sounds fine. I just get overwhelmed looking at tons of people spamming items, I'd much rather be able to search for what I'm looking for.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Do all of the projectile support gems modify the projectiles cause by Lightning Strike?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

NecroMonster posted:

Do all of the projectile support gems modify the projectiles cause by Lightning Strike?

Yes. They use the projectile keyword, while the actual hit uses the melee keyword.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

NecroMonster posted:

Yes. The projectiles from Lightning Strike are effectively a separate (except for the shared hit/crit roll) ranged attack made with your melee weapon. You 'shoot' your sword/staff/whatever at them. Lots of people slap chain/fork onto it because of this.

Rogue
May 11, 2002

Is this worth anything besides 7 jeweler's orbs?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski
It's probably the 100th post to mention this, but why even have elemental resist nodes when there's a wildcard damage type that ignores anything but special gear and special nodes? Holy gently caress Chaos Damage just stinks of a bad game design band aid.

That Vaal fight that kept spawning chaos turret minions :unsmigghh:

Eggs
Apr 15, 2007
Bartering is awful with most people in this game, 99% of the time they refuse to counteroffer and just keep saying "offer" over and over. I've noticed this across the board whether I'm trying to buy a mediocre item or high-end item.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

Rogue posted:

Is this worth anything besides 7 jeweler's orbs?

Depending on the ilvl, it could be. If it's on HC, I'd be willing to buy it off you whatever ilvl it is, I need a thicket to roll for my new bow build.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011

Khorne posted:

fire trap is [going to be] nerfed in a few days.

Uh oh. My already ambitious and over-extended shadow is screwed, unless there's a decent fire damage replacement that is cast-and-forget.

Agreeing that bartering is insane. I generally start low but generous and just shake my head when sellers raise prices out of nowhere. On the other hand, sometimes I'm too impatient to track down a good seller and, eh, can always farm somewhere or start a new character (new character drops can get crazy). I would love it if a good underground trade network took me in or developed at some point. Pubbies are brutal, so I think my new approach should be to just offer full stacks of wisdom scrolls and work up slowly from there. Or... go self-found even though that's even more brutal than trading.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Economy Clown Car posted:

It's probably the 100th post to mention this, but why even have elemental resist nodes when there's a wildcard damage type that ignores anything but special gear and special nodes? Holy gently caress Chaos Damage just stinks of a bad game design band aid.

Chaos damage is supposed to always be dangerous, and the damage it deals is balanced around the fact that most people will not have much resistance to it.

I don't really see how it's bad game design.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Economy Clown Car posted:

I'm not sure what you mean, elemental resist is still very useful since a lot of mobs use elemental damage, just because it doesn't help with everything in the game doesn't make it useless or something.

Eggs posted:

Bartering is awful with most people in this game, 99% of the time they refuse to counteroffer and just keep saying "offer" over and over. I've noticed this across the board whether I'm trying to buy a mediocre item or high-end item.

I think the problem is that most people don't want to actually sell things, they just want to try and rip each other off as much as possible, hopefully as the game settles and prices are more widely known this won't be as big of a problem.

freeb0rn
Jan 22, 2005
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/213675

Chris posted:

As soon as the initial rush of Open Beta was out of the way, we settled into a schedule that will produce a new content patch for Path of Exile every week. We're aiming for these patches to include one new skill, at least three new Unique items designed by Diamond Supporters, new microtransactions and any other features or content that were finalised that week. 0.10.2 is the first of these patches and is expected to be deployed to the Open Beta servers on Wednesday or Thursday NZ time. Read on for more information about this patch!

0.10.2 introduces a new intelligence skill called Incinerate. This skill causes your character to launch a torrent of fire from its hand. The longer you repeatedly cast the skill from the same location, the larger and more damaging the flames become. We're expecting to unveil screenshots or video of this skill once tweaking has been finished.

Incinerate was introduced as the first of our Open Beta skills because fire casters really needed an additional skill. We wanted to make it substantially different to Flame Totem (which acts as a standard flamethrower effect), so that's why we introduced the mechanic where it does more damage the longer you stand still. Incinerate goes through four separate damage stages. By the last one, it's very effective, especially when combined with appropriate support gems. Of course, standing still in the face of monsters does pose survivability problems, so it presents many tactical choices in combat..

0.10.2 also contains many other minor features. I've listed some below (note that this list is not complete and many could be removed or modified!)
Changes to the Duelist passive skill tree to make the class more powerful. It's likely that only characters who are affected by the moved skills will have their passive trees reset.
Passive skill allocation now requires confirmation to prevent misclicks.
Substantial changes to voice acting including Act One NPCs and overhauls of the Lion and Beast sounds.
Damage boosts to at least five skills.
Nerfs to low levels of Poison Arrow and Fire Trap. They're still pretty good though.
Level 78 and 79 item mods.
Improvements to the visual effects of several skills.
A new monster skill. Snakes needed to have more ways to kill you, right?
A new 3v3 PvP arena.
Changes to the variance of pack sizes in end-game Maps. It has a lot of effect on pacing.
Many more changes and bug fixes that will be in the full patch notes.

With Incinerate filling the gap for fire casters, we've scheduled an area-of-effect melee skill for 0.10.3. This patch is due the week after 0.10.2.

In addition to the changes scheduled for these weekly content patches, work continues on deeper issues such as movement simulation sync, client effect performance in large parties and security changes. These will be deployed in whatever the next patch is as soon as they're ready. There are different people working on content for the weekly patches than those improving platform issues.

Thanks again for your continued feedback and support of the game. We love you guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I just need to repeat how great this game is.

There are just so many ways to play it, and they keep adding more.

• Locked thread