Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

zxqv8 posted:

I just need to repeat how great this game is.

I've been loving the game so far up until I get BSODs every so often. I got one a few minutes after defeating the last boss to continue to Cruel difficulty. I hope it gets fix in one of this upcoming patches. I know stopping would be for the best but the game is addicting and it will bite me in my rear end sooner or later.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life
I say for your first character take a prebuilt build off of the main forums, usually some stream tard who has a sweet end-game HC survival build, just something that has a lot of replies and discussion and even if you're SC go with the HC build. Get that character up to the point of running maps, and then on your next characters you can build something knowing what you'll be facing. You'll have a character that can farm high end stuff when you're in the mood for it and play some end-game content confidently, and you'll then be able to make a riskier high dps character and have a feeling for what your boundaries are. If you also save up some random gear you'll even have some stuff to toss on some decent gear or currency on that gear dependent build you just made without getting constantly butt handled trying to level that character up.

Also I feel like a total dope for suggesting that Resolute Technique wasn't all that necessary for a SC Lightning Arrow Ranger. I was totally wrong. I didn't realize chain's accuracy was per projectile, I thought it was per cast. Also even with full shock passives you'll still drop your shock stacks if you miss once or twice. Definitely take Resolute Technique over other dps options. I think it came close to doubling my my Rangers DPS at level 72. I was running Ice Shot as my single target dps against Yellow/Unique mobs and taking RT greatly increased my dps on them because apparently my shock stacks were falling off when I missed on them because while I'm using Wrath and a Lightning Thicket Bow the duration of shock was still short enough to drop off when I missed.

That is of course if you don't have a Lioneye's Glare, which you probably don't because they're outrageously expensive right now with how popular LA Rangers are.

SaucyLoggins fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 2, 2013

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Digital Jedi posted:

I've been loving the game so far up until I get BSODs every so often. I got one a few minutes after defeating the last boss to continue to Cruel difficulty. I hope it gets fix in one of this upcoming patches. I know stopping would be for the best but the game is addicting and it will bite me in my rear end sooner or later.

Do you have a Creative soundcard?

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Adding 1 skill and 3 uniques per week is just the coolest thing ever. Please do keep me on the hook with weekly updates that are all like "Now the game needs this."

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Hmm I'm not sure how well Incinerate will work with the Burn mechanic, hopefully they considered that.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Testing something out to hopefully cheese a free respec. I have a 51 Shadow that I stripped because I was getting frustrated in A1 Merciless. I just used his 10 respec points to go all the way down to the Duelist starter nodes. Hoping this gives me a respec.

quote:

Changes to the Duelist passive skill tree to make the class more powerful. It's likely that only characters who are affected by the moved skills will have their passive trees reset.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Economy Clown Car posted:

It's probably the 100th post to mention this, but why even have elemental resist nodes when there's a wildcard damage type that ignores anything but special gear and special nodes? Holy gently caress Chaos Damage just stinks of a bad game design band aid.

That Vaal fight that kept spawning chaos turret minions :unsmigghh:

Because mobs are static throughout the game so you'll know exactly what damage types you're going to face as you progress. If you're going up against a bunch of multi-elemental caster skeleton swarms, resist all rules where chaos resist will do literally nothing for you.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007
A 17% arc, elemental proliferation, and chain dropped yesterday. I really want to sell the chain but I figure this has to be a sign.

I'm a pure summoner, and chain doesn't seem to make shock stacking with arc THAT much better. Will it be noticeable in maps, or is it just better suited to dealing direct damage?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

sentrygun posted:

Because mobs are static throughout the game so you'll know exactly what damage types you're going to face as you progress. If you're going up against a bunch of multi-elemental caster skeleton swarms, resist all rules where chaos resist will do literally nothing for you.

You guys do know there's 35 percent chaos resist flasks right? Are those any good? I've got one in my stash but haven't bothered to try yet.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Doodarazumas posted:

I'm a pure summoner, and chain doesn't seem to make shock stacking with arc THAT much better.

Chain will make shock stacking worse because it reduces the damage each hit does. It's only better if you hit a target multiple times and your initial hit did enough damage to shock them in time for the second hit to hit.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Glad they got stricter on the security because I sort of like my characters.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if account thieves in China would ever try to use a U.S. proxy...

They really need 2-step authentication, I'm getting paranoid :tinfoil:

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I had contacted Chris Wilson to talk to him about me being hacked, and this is a quote from him

quote:

"Because we have found no sign of any compromise on our end, I strongly urge you to investigate how your password became known to the people with the 270,000 IP-strong botnet in China."

:tinfoil:

Otacon fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 2, 2013

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Doodarazumas posted:

A 17% arc, elemental proliferation, and chain dropped yesterday. I really want to sell the chain but I figure this has to be a sign.

I'm a pure summoner, and chain doesn't seem to make shock stacking with arc THAT much better. Will it be noticeable in maps, or is it just better suited to dealing direct damage?

I didn't use chain but I put arc/penetrate/proliferation on a totem with my summoner and saw way more shocks than when I was casting arc myself. Mostly because I couldn't spam it like the totem could.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
Don't forget that damage dealt is a factor in the duration of shocks, too - chain will actually reduce the length of shocks by virtue of the fact that it cuts the single-target DPS in half.

Arc + chain is actually a pretty poor choice because of this. Arc will do 100% damage to up to 3 targets normally. Arc + chain does 50% damage to up to 5 targets, which is both less single-target damage and less total group DPS (250% to 5 vs 300% to 3).

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Zero VGS posted:

You guys do know there's 35 percent chaos resist flasks right? Are those any good? I've got one in my stash but haven't bothered to try yet.

Yeah, they're alright but not really the answer to the problem. Using them to quickly deal with big chaos damage dealers isn't a bad idea, though poo poo like LMP Rare Chaos Alchemists in the sewers are still just bullshit you should just walk past. The duration doesn't last long enough for it to be useful against chaos heavy packs like the snakes in Act 2.

It's also possible that some people haven't had them drop because the resist and granite flasks are kind of rare drops.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

sentrygun posted:

This would be fine if chaos resistance wasn't relegated to a couple passive nodes and a rare resistance modifier that you'll never find on useable gear.

"Force you to use specific, lovely gear at certain parts" isn't good game design even if you know where these parts are. I wouldn't mind if chaos resistance mods were as common as other elements, and just weren't included in resist all, but as it is you're lucky to have enough equipment to bring a character to 0 percent resistance in Merciless even with flasks factored in.

I kind of get the feeling chaos damage was designed around Chaos Innoculation, not the other way around.

vvvv That would work too. If you're going to make it the exempt from most ways of getting resistances, make it exempt from most ways of losing it.

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 2, 2013

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
It would honestly be alot better if chaos resist was set to 0% and the nodes didn't exist. Rare snakes and alchemists in merciless can be brutal even with huge hp if you don't have a slew of resists and the baseline damage being 2/3 of what it is right now would help with instagibs.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Zero VGS posted:

I wonder if account thieves in China would ever try to use a U.S. proxy...

They really need 2-step authentication, I'm getting paranoid :tinfoil:

To my understanding it's any IP that has logged in that hasn't entered the lockout code. I'm pretty okay with that.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Chaos damage is painful but even at -60% I wasn't getting instagibbed by it when I was playing carefully around it. Alchemists in the sewers were the worst offenders, and even then I either avoided them or used Quicksilver to run around and take them out quickly (or just ran past rare versions of them). Other chaos damage was painful, but on a health pool it wasn't really a big deal. That said, I have no experience with a non-CI Energy Shield build and chaos damage probably mops those up on accident.

I agree that chaos damage is dumb, but haven't noticed it being as much of a problem as other people have.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm only at level 50, and finished Act 2 in Cruel, but large amounts of chaos damage are the only thing I have to consistently run away from to re-coup. If I start getting stacks of poison via archers or venom strike mobs, or those ranged vaal construct faggots, I will often have to whirling-blades out of the fight and wait for the stacks to drop, as even my best potions will leave me with dropping health while completely out of the fight.

So while it's not game-breaking for me at this point, it is pretty annoying, given that there is jack-all I can do about it except try to eliminate the source of the chaos damage as quickly as possible. If I didn't have whirling blades and flicker strike to get to those fuckers the instant I see them, it would go way beyond annoying.

Rent to Own Lifestyle
Jan 27, 2004
Well fuck, I need something witty.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Do you have a Creative soundcard?

I get BSOD, and yeah I have a Creative card. Is it a known issue?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

This would be fine if chaos resistance wasn't relegated to a couple passive nodes and a rare resistance modifier that you'll never find on useable gear.

Chaos resists on gear is almost as common as every other resist. Chests can roll 7 different suffixes, with 44 total ranges for those suffixes, 5 of them being Chaos resist. Each other resist has 7 brackets.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but what is the point of the various methods of converting one type of damage into another? Like the Cold to Fire support gem, or the various bits of gear that convert one element into another. I can see the merit of additional damage, but this is the same baseline damage, just a different color. Is it just used for stuff resistant to your main attack?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Well, if nothing else, I'd assume the +X% to Y element passive nodes would suddenly work on your brand new FireIceball. Especially if your build (like mine, sigh) takes you past a different element cluster than the one your good spells are in.

e: Like for real why is it that I like Fireball so much and I'd have to go out of my way to get anything fire-related aaaagh why am I so bad at video games

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 2, 2013

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Aranan posted:

I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but what is the point of the various methods of converting one type of damage into another? Like the Cold to Fire support gem, or the various bits of gear that convert one element into another. I can see the merit of additional damage, but this is the same baseline damage, just a different color. Is it just used for stuff resistant to your main attack?

Change it to something you have more of and you can use your %bonuses to multiply that new larger number by more than you could have done to the other smaller numbers. It also means you can inflict the status effects of both elements (now your Freezing Pulse can set enemies on fire too!).

Curses and Penetration are what you use to stuff that's resistant to your attack.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Rent to Own Lifestyle posted:

I get BSOD, and yeah I have a Creative card. Is it a known issue?
Yeah, there's quite a few people who've had the same issue. You should try creating a shortcut to Client.exe and adding --softwareaudio at the end of the target field. This should prevent it from going BSOD on you again.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

sentrygun posted:

Change it to something you have more of and you can use your %bonuses to multiply that new larger number by more than you could have done to the other smaller numbers. It also means you can inflict the status effects of both elements (now your Freezing Pulse can set enemies on fire too!).

Curses and Penetration are what you use to stuff that's resistant to your attack.

Some of them also allow you to double dip bonuses. Ie something like infernal blow will first get modified by +physical% and then again after +elemental%/+elemental weapon damage%. Cold to fire is pretty weird though and it's generally not worth wasting a slot for (hatred to infernal blow?).

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

The Royal Scrub posted:

Adding 1 skill and 3 uniques per week is just the coolest thing ever. Please do keep me on the hook with weekly updates that are all like "Now the game needs this."

What since when? I've not seen new skills or uniques since it entered open beta.

edit: ah as of a patch note two pages ago.

Washout fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 2, 2013

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

drat, was really hoping for that new melee ability this week. But with my luck it won't be usable with claws anyway. :sigh:

I really want to play a melee ranger with claws but the only aoe melee attack options you get are Whirling Blades and Lightning Strike. Neither of which are really able to hit an entire clump of mobs reliably. (WB is only in a line and seems to miss a lot, and LS projectiles don't pierce and don't have any aoe splash on them.)

My build is going to be something like this if I ever actually make it to endgame: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...07v8Pcy-Ov5Y_zF

I'm in act 2 normal and it's already dodgy. But I want to stick with it and see how it turns out.

Edit: Okay I just tried out Blood Rage + Flicker Strike and I'm back in. This is silly fun.

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 2, 2013

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Edit: Okay I just tried out Blood Rage + Flicker Strike and I'm back in. This is silly fun.

:getin:

I don't know where I put the armour, might be on a character somewhere, but this combined with the Power Charge on crit armour is hilarious, CI makes Blood Rage free too, if you choose to go that route.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.
I will probably be running dual spork for the 1 week race tomorrow, and I should be able to make it online before it starts. My spec is below. I'm looking for input from anyone that has run a totem or dual totem build before. It's a pre-map build at level 72. During maps I can pick up Inner Force, Dual Curse, more life or more damage as options. I haven't looked at starting as witch yet, but it looks like templar gets most of the gems I need for a 4L totem (Spell Totem, Fork, Spork, Faster Casting). The only one I will need to buy/find is Faster Casting if anyone else running the 1 week will have an extra. I'll also probably use faster projectiles if I find a 5L.

I haven't checked the curse and aura gems for templar yet, but Conductivity and Enfeeble (maybe Temp Chains) will probably be what I want to run. I've never run a caster before, so I'm unsure on auras. Right now it looks like Clarity, Discipline, Haste, and Purity. I'm not sure what else for a caster, but probably Determination and/or Grace for defense.

Build

Also, great run to everyone during the 2 hour party race today. I believe we all made top 20 in our class, and it was a ton of fun. I look forward to running with more people during the rest of this season, and I think the week race will be pretty awesome for that.

Vizrt fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 3, 2013

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Read posted:

:getin:

I don't know where I put the armour, might be on a character somewhere, but this combined with the Power Charge on crit armour is hilarious, CI makes Blood Rage free too, if you choose to go that route.

I think It's really cool that one of the item designer donator dudes added a weapon from one of my favorite book series.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Welp, encountered something that I should have predicted with my dagger shadow: lack of AOE options. Oh, I have lightning strike! That's super awesome normally! Except that it's lightning damage (duh) and thus does not replenish my mana, or restore my energy shield. So that leaves me with whirling blades, which is pretty sick nasty when you link it with some support gems I've found out. Except I actually used whirling blades so often to kill a big pack o' skeletons that it actually desynced me to a level I've never experienced before.

On the plus side, with my double 20% Mightflays in conjunction with the $texas amount of crit talents I have so far when I do crit things, they absolutely melt. I four shot normal Piety, and two shot Cruel Hillock.

So looks like I'm waiting for the patch to add melee AOE options to my daggers in two weeks or so. In the meantime, I had a 14% fireball drop so now's a good of a time as any to start a fire witch I guess.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Vasudus posted:

Welp, encountered something that I should have predicted with my dagger shadow: lack of AOE options. Oh, I have lightning strike! That's super awesome normally! Except that it's lightning damage (duh) and thus does not replenish my mana, or restore my energy shield.

It still does half of your physical damage in physical damage. You can also attach a Mana Leech to it to get % leech on all that damage. It's not perfect, but it's the best melee AoE available for a long time. You can take the Mana Leech off once it's no longer an issue.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

sentrygun posted:

It still does half of your physical damage in physical damage. You can also attach a Mana Leech to it to get % leech on all that damage. It's not perfect, but it's the best melee AoE available for a long time. You can take the Mana Leech off once it's no longer an issue.

Yeah, I might end up having to try out mana leech. I'm pretty sure I have one floating around. I'm still not overall pleased with my options though, I might have to add a life leech gem on it also to restore my energy shield.

Groups under 5 just disappear to any attack if I crit, but if they're over that many I can't keep my ES up with just lightning strike.

forge
Feb 26, 2006

Vizrt posted:

Faster Casting

I think I'll have a extra.. here is what I am taking, running the same build I did today with ek/fire. Check the shadow tree on any of my trade notes listed and it's yours. I'm only picking up lmp ll etc because those are simply the most valuable. But if there is a faster casting in any of those let me know tomorrow afternoon when we start and I'll save it for you.

Act1
Fire Trap - gates
Viper Strike - Mercy
EK - Eggs
Summon Skeletons - Brute

Boss
Fork

Act2
Proj Weakness Curse - Intruders
Faster Proj - Weavers/Sharp

Act3
Frost Wall - Lost in love
Freebee TRADE (LMP) - Sever the Right Hand

CRUEL
Act1
Hatred - Gates
Freebee TRADE (Life Leech) - Mercy Mission
Freebee TRADE (Haste) - The Caged Brute

Boss
Spell Totem

Act2
Mana Leech - Sharp and Cruel

Act3
Freebee TRADE (Haste) - Lost in Love
Culling Strike - Sever the Right Hand

MERCILESS
Act1
Added Fire Damage - Mercy Mission
Freebee TRADE (Conductivity) - The Caged Brute
Freebee TRADE (Mana Leech) - Siren's Last Cadence

Act2
Freebee TRADE (Mana Leech) - Sharp and Cruel

Act3
Freebee TRADE (Mana Leech) - Sever the Right Hand

aeverous
Nov 13, 2009
I hope the coming patches are good, because the lie of this game won't last much longer. There's this incredibly deep character levelling system that looks so loving good at first but by the time you get to Merciless Act2/3 you realise it's all a lie, and the balance is completely hosed, leaving you with few options. Most builds people post you can look at them and just laugh at how naive they are, how much they differ from The One True Build.

There must be a talent(s) (in different directions in the grid) that when taken, lower your ranged ability, and increase your defense. If not, regardless of what they do, ranged will simply take the same defense stuff the melee players do, and end up with the same defense + the fact that they are ranged, and this will always, always, gently caress the balance of the game.

Some people have suggested in this thread that they add flat damage mitigation to some classes like in D3 but then, why not make a Marauder and build him as a tanky ranged, as you would now?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

aeverous posted:

I hope the coming patches are good, because the lie of this game won't last much longer. There's this incredibly deep character levelling system that looks so loving good at first but by the time you get to Merciless Act2/3 you realise it's all a lie, and the balance is completely hosed, leaving you with few options. Most builds people post you can look at them and just laugh at how naive they are, how much they differ from The One True Build.

There must be a talent(s) (in different directions in the grid) that when taken, lower your ranged ability, and increase your defense. If not, regardless of what they do, ranged will simply take the same defense stuff the melee players do, and end up with the same defense + the fact that they are ranged, and this will always, always, gently caress the balance of the game.

Some people have suggested in this thread that they add flat damage mitigation to some classes like in D3 but then, why not make a Marauder and build him as a tanky ranged, as you would now?

Tie it to weapon type. If it's melee, you get melee reduction. If it's ranged, you don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Vasudus posted:

Tie it to weapon type. If it's melee, you get melee reduction. If it's ranged, you don't.

And then casters will just hold swords.

People are overstating the "one true build" nonsense. Truly some builds are better than others, but I've seen (and played) a tremendous variety. No lie in saying that lots of hp nodes are necessary, but you don't need your entire build to be that. Ten to twenty points on defense (at level 70) is more than enough with smart spending.

• Locked thread