Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Picked up Year Walk last night. Having never played a specifically puzzle-based game, I expect several hours of exasperation ahead of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

AllisonByProxy posted:

Just got my first iOS device (iPad 4) and I'm looking for some game/app recommendations. I already got and finished Year Walk and The Room and have been playing Puzzle and Dragons as well as Puzzle Craft. I'd like a solid rpg or maybe a good rhythm game. Help me out guys!

Cytus is probably the best music game for iOS. Groove Coaster is pretty good too.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

KominAaa posted:

Thanks man, it means a lot and I'm glad you like it, don't forget to Greenlight us if you can!
I have one criticizm about the game though. A gold medal for duelling is only acquired when you win 5-0 and I must say it's frustrating that when I already know I'm not getting it - I just lost a point - there's no instant way of restarting the duel. I have to click on quit, confirm it, then I'm brought back to the cantina, I have to choose the character again, click play, duel, confirm it - it's actually a bit ridiculous. I know that the goal is just to play and you're getting points even for winning 5-4 but you should still add an option of instant restart to the quit menu for people that want a gold medal.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 3, 2013

DuffMayhem
May 14, 2003

Does it depress you?
How alone you really are
Not sure if its been mentioned since this thread is so hard to keep up with, but everyone should check out Penumbear. It's a really clever platformer where you play as a teddy bear who can control and walk on beams of light. Kinda hard to explain but it has a really cool dark and moody style, and the music is well done and fitting. Controls are super tight as well. Best purchase I've made in the App Store in a while. Check it out!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Heh also in the Greenlight thread it was mentioned that Shufflepuck Cantina was sent for review to touch arcade but the guy who played it found it way too hard:

touch arcade posted:

Then there are a number of people who crash-land on Athanor, stumble into the Shufflepuck Cantina, and proceed to get pucked over and over again by a furby.

After literally hundreds of games, I'm finally about a match for "Furry," the weakest opponent in the game. I've read all the advice (from pushing your mallet forward to return a shot faster to the fact that you can "teleport" your mallet by simply touching where you want it to be: you don't have to keep your finger on the screen the whole time), but I'm just too slow.
This is utterly ridiculous, HUNDREDS of games and still didn't beat the first opponent? You got screwed on the review that could have made your game by a reflex challenged player. Holy poo poo, that guy shouldn't be reviewing reflex based games because this is just hilarious.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
So I was all :smug: "check out this funny little game called QWOP" to my girlfriend, and she beat it on her 4th try hopping on one knee the entire time. Yep. Need to marry this one.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Palpek posted:

This is utterly ridiculous, HUNDREDS of games and still didn't beat the first opponent? You got screwed on the review that could have made your game by a reflex challenged player. Holy poo poo, that guy shouldn't be reviewing reflex based games because this is just hilarious.
The other perspective is: "iOS is a casual gaming platform, full mostly of casual gamers. Even core gamers often turn into casual gamers, when they pick up their phone. If a dude who plays iPhone games for a living can't beat your easiest challenge, perhaps you need to tune the difficulty a bit lower / convert the current difficulty to a separate "hard" mode / etc."

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Shalinor posted:

The other perspective is: "iOS is a casual gaming platform, full mostly of casual gamers. Even core gamers often turn into casual gamers, when they pick up their phone. If a dude who plays iPhone games for a living can't beat your easiest challenge, perhaps you need to tune the difficulty a bit lower / convert the current difficulty to a separate "hard" mode / etc."
You're are right but if a reviewer is so bad at the genre - maybe he shouldn't be reviewing it? This example is extreme because he failed at the very basic challenge. For example I'm a person that wouldn't touch an RTS game because I just suck at them (Starcraft being the only exception) and get destroyed by the AI. It would be very misleading if I received an exceptional RTS game for review and wrote - I couldn't play it, how fun is it to lose over and over again in a game?

This reminds me of a Silent Storm review I read where a reviewer wrote: "The game is extremely frustrating because when it's the enemies turn - I can't react! I can just watch them shoot at my team and I can't do anything - that's why I didn't like the game." Which was basically him bashing a turn-based game for being...turn-based. To me it's simmilar to bash a reflex-based game for requiring speed.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
I thought it was a bit difficult, myself. There was just something about the frame rate that made it hard for my eyes to follow the puck.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Bang! The Official Video Game is free. Fun little card game, though pass n play is annoying, especially if someone is targeted by the AIs.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Shalinor posted:

I hate this response because I want more non-casual games on my ipad. I haven't played a game in weeks that isn't strategy against another human being because everything is too simple and easy or just a straight up grind.

e: On second thought, hate is a really strong word - so I'm going to stick with it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bummey posted:

I thought it was a bit difficult, myself. There was just something about the frame rate that made it hard for my eyes to follow the puck.

I'm pretty sure when the game first came out a while ago people were talking about how it was way too loving difficult.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Fallom posted:

I'm pretty sure when the game first came out a while ago people were talking about how it was way too loving difficult.
Yeah but now they added a training mode which the game starts with - I switched from it after like 3 matches because it was way too easy. Game modes other than Duel don't even support it and when after half an hour of play I stacked the survival mode against Furry (the easiest opponent) to over 100 (that's like winning 20 games in a row with not a single goal lost) I just stopped playing against him because it was too easy. I can't even start to imagine somebody giving the game a fair chance and losing to this guy hundreds of times :psyduck:

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

I played the hell out of Shufflepuck Café on the old black and white Macs in about 1990, so this looks pretty good to me so far.

If anyone wants to join up for Real Racing, my GameCenter name is 'incandenza'.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Palpek posted:

Yeah but now they added a training mode which the game starts with - I switched from it after like 3 matches because it was way too easy. Game modes other than Duel don't even support it and when after half an hour of play I stacked the survival mode against Furry (the easiest opponent) to over 100 (that's like winning 20 games in a row with not a single goal lost) I just stopped playing against him because it was too easy. I can't even start to imagine somebody giving the game a fair chance and losing to this guy hundreds of times :psyduck:

We're you playing on an iPhone or an iPad? I thought the game was a bit too hard at release but that was partly due to how cramped everything felt on my iPhone screen. When I tried it on my iPad I found it much more manageable.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Virtue posted:

We're you playing on an iPhone or an iPad? I thought the game was a bit too hard at release but that was partly due to how cramped everything felt on my iPhone screen. When I tried it on my iPad I found it much more manageable.
I played on iPhone - I agree though that the controls aren't ideal because you cover the "racket" with your finger so I can't wait to play it on a PC actually.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

ZoDiAC_ posted:

What's the best city building sim? Sim City Deluxe looks broken in several ways. I installed it a ways back and the one type of road annoyed me, plus the water needs never settling down. There's a few that look like basically portals to shill in game content.

There is no good citybuilder on ios yet. Tragic because the genre would work perfectly on a touchscreen.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Yeah so Year Walk is pretty good. I've paid more for less entertainment for sure, and it oozes style. Keep up with the hype, goons. I still have money.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

UncleSmoothie posted:

There is no good citybuilder on ios yet. Tragic because the genre would work perfectly on a touchscreen.

I want Sim City 2000 on iOS but it's too much to hope for. They'd probably strip out the map making and just give you generic preformed land like the new game has. :sigh:

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
You guys really need to be playing Wrestling Revolution. It's so insanely in depth it's well worth the 4.99 price tag. My created wrestler just straight out enters the ring with a loving Bowie knife every match.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

UncleSmoothie posted:

I worry that the reason there's no city-building / Anno-style game on iOS yet might be that although the format is perfect for the genre, the genre is even more perfect for IAP treadmills and so we get stuff like Pixel People instead that are designed to be effective IAP vehicles and not deep city games :(

I do hope somebody makes a good, premium building-type game to show there's room for both in the market. (There is a port of Yoot Tower available but that's all I can think of)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
^^ Yeah it sucks. I got so excited when someone announced an iOS Theme Park port, only for them to what was basically an amusement park-themed Farmville clone.

I know it got panned by a lot of people here, but I'm actually having a lot of fun with Real Racing 3. Making a lot of money to buy nicer cars seems a bit slow, but so far I haven't really been annoyed by the servicing timers. I guess it helps that I'm not a ":spergin: must sit here for hours and finish game in one sitting :spergin:" type player.

If anyone wants to hit me up for multiplayer, I'm "thewebmeister" on GC.

webmeister fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 4, 2013

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Jefferoo posted:

You guys really need to be playing Wrestling Revolution. It's so insanely in depth it's well worth the 4.99 price tag. My created wrestler just straight out enters the ring with a loving Bowie knife every match.

I was going to, but this informative and well written review really put me off

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Fallom posted:

That game was hard as gently caress when it first released. There was a patch that made it a lot more manageable later. I wouldn't say the reviewer was bad at games as much as the difficulty being way out of whack when he was trying to review it.

Unless the review was posted semi recently, then they are just bad. :(

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

KGBAgent185 posted:

That game was hard as gently caress when it first released. There was a patch that made it a lot more manageable later.

It's true, it was incredibly unforgiving at first, I had the same experience where I could barely beat the easiest opponent. Haven't tried it recently, but I remember it being pretty good apart from the difficulty so I think I'll give it another shot.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Jefferoo posted:

Haha, oh god it's another game by M "Muhammad: The Action RPG" Dickie.

Does this one have dynamite matches like the PC version?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

bunky posted:

I've been playing this all weekend. Really fun.

I on the other hand, have been getting owned by anyone that isnt Furry. :cripes:

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Haha, oh god it's another game by M "Muhammad: The Action RPG" Dickie.

Does this one have dynamite matches like the PC version?

Yes, and Jesus Christ is it lethal. Also someone offered me steroids in the parking lot. I turned them down, naturally. Then I beat a guy by tap out and he started a feud with the ref over it because I knocked the ref unconscious to get away with stabbing my opponent with aforementioned giant Bowie knife. Amazing career mode.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Jefferoo posted:

Yes, and Jesus Christ is it lethal. Also someone offered me steroids in the parking lot. I turned them down, naturally. Then I beat a guy by tap out and he started a feud with the ref over it because I knocked the ref unconscious to get away with stabbing my opponent with aforementioned giant Bowie knife. Amazing career mode.

I think I might need this game.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

webmeister posted:

^^ Yeah it sucks. I got so excited when someone announced an iOS Theme Park port, only for them to what was basically an amusement park-themed Farmville clone.

I know it got panned by a lot of people here, but I'm actually having a lot of fun with Real Racing 3. Making a lot of money to buy nicer cars seems a bit slow, but so far I haven't really been annoyed by the servicing timers. I guess it helps that I'm not a ":spergin: must sit here for hours and finish game in one sitting :spergin:" type player.

Adding you for real racing 3. I'm having a lot of fun just upgrading my lovely Ford Focus RS. Hell I'm "playing" clash of the clans. I'm ok with slow timers.

If anyone else is interested in adding me: Drowning Rabbit

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

ZerodotJander posted:

What are some good Asynchronous Multiplayer iPhone games for under $5?

My buddy is tired of Letterpress and I am tired of Words with Friends. Carcassonne would be great but it's relatively pricy, same for HOMM Clash of Heroes. A lot of games with Async Multiplayer I don't like because the turns don't feel meaningful enough, like Ticket to Ride or Ascension.

Have you tried Outwitters? It's pretty good.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Palpek posted:

Heh also in the Greenlight thread it was mentioned that Shufflepuck Cantina was sent for review to touch arcade but the guy who played it found it way too hard:

TA :jerkbag:

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

TACD posted:

I worry that the reason there's no city-building / Anno-style game on iOS yet might be that although the format is perfect for the genre, the genre is even more perfect for IAP treadmills and so we get stuff like Pixel People instead that are designed to be effective IAP vehicles and not deep city games :(

I do hope somebody makes a good, premium building-type game to show there's room for both in the market. (There is a port of Yoot Tower available but that's all I can think of)

They should just port the Dawn of Discovery DS game. It was pretty much the exact same game as the PC version, only with simpler graphics. The only thing missing was a freeplay mode.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Wrestling Revolution is the best wrestling game ever

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Yup. just bought Wrestling Revolution.

edit: trip report. I made myself an 8 foot female who is black but i'm not a female at all and i have a black face and torso but white body and beard

Necroneocon fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 4, 2013

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Yeah, everyone should really pick it up. I worked my way up through wrestling school, got accepted into the WWE-knockoff, and not-Vince changed my outfit from cool La Parka/CM Punk mix to a loving lumberjack. What an rear end in a top hat.

Also the Bane mask is a wardrobe option.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
Real Racers is fun but it turns out years of playing semi-realistic sim games like Forza like they were bumper cars is finally paying off with IAP/time repairs. Whoops.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

webmeister posted:

I've noticed my trend with iOS gaming lately has turn into a tolerance test for most games until they become obtrusive and I'm unable to play. I guess I appreciate f2p when a game is sort of decent but I despise it when the game is actually good and I want to invest time in it. That's why real racing got frustrating for me. I actually really enjoyed the gameplay. I play pixel people and don't mind iap because its barely a game and my mind deactivates while I play it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Necroneocon posted:

Yup. just bought Wrestling Revolution.

edit: trip report. I made myself an 8 foot female who is black but i'm not a female at all and i have a black face and torso but white body and beard

Is it just me, or does this game completely ignore the Mute toggle switch?

Cause mine is definitely muted but I have the horrible music coming out of my speakers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

triplexpac posted:

Is it just me, or does this game completely ignore the Mute toggle switch?

Cause mine is definitely muted but I have the horrible music coming out of my speakers

Yup. All part of the charm.

• Locked thread