Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renwick Customer
Aug 19, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Turns out the support modules work like the original modules in Arma 2:

For those who don't know how to set up artillery support for your missions, it's quick and easy:

Set up a GROUP of mortars. The order goes:

Mortars -> Support Provider (Artillery) -> Support Requester -> Player Character

These must be synchronised. So it goes Mortar (GROUP) then SYNC to Sup Pro, SYNC to Sup Req, and SYNC to player.

Then you can call it with the 0 -> 8 -> Artillery.

The mortars will have a range etc but now you can use it for all your blowing up needs.

As a side note you can specify the number of artillery requests by double clicking the support requester and specifying it there. -1 is infinite.

I can't get the other support types to work at the moment, however.

EDIT: Helicopter transport works if you replace the module and sync it to a helicopter, and it seems to be way less buggy than the Arma 2 one!

EDIT2: Supply drop doesn't actually drop anything but CAS helicopter works and is also way less buggy! Hurrah!

Renwick Customer fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
...and he still has mouse smoothing on...

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

BI continues to be at the forefront of tactical technology.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Dukka posted:

BI continues to be at the forefront of tactical technology.

Whose 4 wheeler is this?
It's a quad, baby.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Renwick Customer posted:

Turns out the support modules work like the original modules in Arma 2:

For those who don't know how to set up artillery support for your missions, it's quick and easy:

Set up a GROUP of mortars. The order goes:

Mortars -> Support Provider (Artillery) -> Support Requester -> Player Character

These must be synchronised. So it goes Mortar (GROUP) then SYNC to Sup Pro, SYNC to Sup Req, and SYNC to player.

Then you can call it with the 0 -> 8 -> Artillery.

The mortars will have a range etc but now you can use it for all your blowing up needs.

As a side note you can specify the number of artillery requests by double clicking the support requester and specifying it there. -1 is infinite.

I can't get the other support types to work at the moment, however.

EDIT: Helicopter transport works if you replace the module and sync it to a helicopter, and it seems to be way less buggy than the Arma 2 one!

EDIT2: Supply drop doesn't actually drop anything but CAS helicopter works and is also way less buggy! Hurrah!
How do you manually add those grouping lines between objects? When I place the three mortars and then my PC a line is automatically created between me and one of the mortars and I can't figure out how to change it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I love how hung up people are on Domination. "THERE ISN'T GOING TO BE ONE BECAUSE THE AUTHOR WON'T LET ANYONE CONVERT IT". Yeah, like that would stop anyone. Besides, someone could just reverse engineer it or make their own version and still call it Domination. It's not like the author holds any rights to that name anyway. gently caress him/her.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

fuckpot posted:

How do you manually add those grouping lines between objects? When I place the three mortars and then my PC a line is automatically created between me and one of the mortars and I can't figure out how to change it.

F2, draw lines to drag units together. It goes by rank too, so the highest ranked unit will be SL

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

fuckpot posted:

The helicopter physics aren't as good as I hoped they would be after hearing they were implementing the Take On flying model. When flying in Take On you can really feel the effects of the helicopter being buffeted by the wind and the torque created by the rotors. So far the helicopters still feel like they are flying in a bit of a physics devoid vacuum. I am hoping the flight model is improved as updates are released. That is probably the greatest complaint I have about the alpha so far.

They said the TOH flight model hadn't made it into the Alpha yet but that they're planning on adding it eventually.

The movement and shooting feel amazing. You no longer feel like a fat man on a Segway scooter while moving and your gun doesn't feel like it's submerged in a bizarre non-Newtonian fluid. Stance-dance as somebody dubbed it is a little hard to get used to but with practice it'll get a lot more fluid, and a little HUD indicator describing your body position would help a lot there as well.

The most frustrating part of the Alpha isn't brokenness or 'differentness', but rather all the little cockteases of cool ideas that you'll be able to play around with in the full version that there isn't enough stuff for yet.

I haven't even run into that many bugs. The multiplayer is still a bit iffy as well but, that's.. not exactly unexpected. We'll see. The only significant niggle I have so far is I'm not sure I like the briefing stuff and kinda want to go back to the old way instead of having to sync a hundred things together in the editor and I'm not sure if the old way still works or not.

Renwick Customer
Aug 19, 2008
Grimey Drawer

BIG HORNY COW posted:

F2, draw lines to drag units together. It goes by rank too, so the highest ranked unit will be SL

You can also degroup units by dragging from that unit onto nothing.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Renwick Customer posted:

You can also degroup units by dragging from that unit onto nothing.

Protip: you can add enemy units to a friendly group by grouping them with a friendly SL.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Protip: you can add enemy units to a friendly group by grouping them with a friendly SL.

Protip: If you set the friendly SL as having a 0 probability of spawning, the enemy units will still be friendly!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

For the love of god, don't be a pubbie like this mouthbreather and turn free-aim and/or mouse smoothing on. Trust me. It's loving *AWFUL* and it actually puts you at a severe disadvantage, especially with the new tightness to the controls.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Is there a maximum amount of units you can group together? Lines start disappearing for me after I try to add new ones. Also, how do you sync things?

Better yet, is there an awesome guide on how to use this guide somewhere that is newbie friendly? Things seem pretty similar to the ARMA 2 editor so I am assuming it will still be relevant.

Renwick Customer
Aug 19, 2008
Grimey Drawer

fuckpot posted:

Is there a maximum amount of units you can group together? Lines start disappearing for me after I try to add new ones. Also, how do you sync things?

Better yet, is there an awesome guide on how to use this guide somewhere that is newbie friendly? Things seem pretty similar to the ARMA 2 editor so I am assuming it will still be relevant.

I suggest switching to the traditional editor mode, which can be done at the top of the screen under layout, then the F keys have labels etc. Synchronise is F5.

EDIT: this thread has a script for filling an ammobox with all the items people have found: http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=20801&d=0

Renwick Customer fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 6, 2013

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah I'd like a really basic editor guide as well, I've never used it.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh, guys, you can go back to using the old layout to the editor (AKA it actually has words to go with the icons) by pressing 'CTRL+L' in the editor and switching it to 'Traditional'. Very nice to go back to.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just spent the last three hours chilling on Stratis chatting with a couple non-idiotic pubbies and shooting the stupid ones. As much as I love the coop missions, ArmA is my perfect competitive shooter. Slow, methodical, making mistakes gets you killed. Basically Day Z sans idiotic survival junk and zombies.

That said, if that lovely Dutch clan ever puts out a good mission I'll be all over that.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

fuckpot posted:

It was 12 in OFP but it increased to something way higher in ARMA (24, maybe?) You can look up OFP mission editor guides and most of it will still be the same.

hailthefish posted:

Protip: If you set the friendly SL as having a 0 probability of spawning, the enemy units will still be friendly!
BIS learning zone

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

BIG HORNY COW posted:

It was 12 in OFP but it increased to something way higher in ARMA (24, maybe?) You can look up OFP mission editor guides and most of it will still be the same.

BIS learning zone

Think it's 24 in Arma2, can't recall. I know the max number of groups per side you can have in Arma2 is 144.

Good to know about going back to the traditional editor :)

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
First thing I'm doing when I get home is making a Battle Royal scenario. This map is god drat perfect for it.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

tehsid posted:

First thing I'm doing when I get home is making a Battle Royal scenario. This map is god drat perfect for it.

Please post it if you do. We can share scenarios right?

Renwick Customer
Aug 19, 2008
Grimey Drawer
OK, using that classnames thread and a script that someone made that I have now updated, it's possible to add all the items from the alpha into one box.

First, here is the pastebin for people who are familiar with the scripting: http://pastebin.com/6THpyCHX

If you are NOT familiar, here is a quick guide.

Start the editor, place a guy and an ammo crate. Save the mission and name it what you want.

Alt tab and go to my documents -> arma 3 alpha -> missions -> mission name.

Create a new text file and copy the contents of the above pastebin into it. Save it as fillammobox.sqf (you'll need to use the all documents tab to do this).

Go back into the game and double click on the ammo crate. In the Initialisation field copy and paste this into it:

code:
_Handle = this execVM "FillAmmoBox.sqf";
Save then preview, the ammobox will have loads of items!

EDIT: actually I could just zip up the mission folder and post it online, what is everyone using for hosting these days?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Mederlock posted:

For the love of god, don't be a pubbie like this mouthbreather and turn free-aim and/or mouse smoothing on. Trust me. It's loving *AWFUL* and it actually puts you at a severe disadvantage, especially with the new tightness to the controls.
He at least has the self-awareness to admit how many other players don't like free-aim, and I like that he had to turn free-aim on instead of off -- it seems that this game seems to specifically be made with the intent of easier transitioning from "other shooters"; I actually thought as much when I saw the use of "G" key for grenades.

Incidentally, when Smookie was asked about his and Rocket's mo-capping of these animations:

Smookie posted:

Yes I did but of course acting crew was not limited to the two of us. Nevertheless, for gameplay purposes the mocap data had to be processed to fit the design.

An example: the step over animation was mocapped with one hand resting on the obstacle and the other hand holding the weapon and aiming (the primary concern of mine of supposedly realistic ArmA2 animation was the fact it made you defenceless). The legs obviously did not go so high. The design of the feature however had to be more universal then just limited to one type of height etc. and to make it super proper it would take insane ammount of resource compared to the benefit. So the solution was worked out in which the legs were raised slighty higher manually as well as to put the other rifle on the hand.

Also, on side note, I fail to see how ArmA2 animations were any more realistic than ArmA3, especially that the equipment/weapon weight factor is being brought up. It makes no sense to me, looking back at ArmA2 animations which clearly display no feeling of weight what-so-ever (the acting didnt even account for it).

Muscular Beaver posted:

Huh? Moving much faster (velocity and reaction) with lots of gear (ArmA 3) vs moving much slower with lots of gear (ArmA 2) is more realistic?
Ohhhhkay. Whatever. Now I only feel bad for spending money on the supporters edition...

As a last comment: I read that you guys did the motion capture yourself? I can only suggest paying actors next time. They are there for a reason.
Finally got my Steam key from the BI Store... almost twenty-four hours after they first went on sale! I spent Tuesday living vicariously through goons
:negative:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

the black husserl posted:

Please post it if you do. We can share scenarios right?

Yep! And any good ones will get thrown into the OP.

EDIT: Make sure it's on a public domain file sharing site like dropbox or something similar though, and if you share someone else's work (goon or otherwise) make sure to at least acknowledge and accredit it to them.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 6, 2013

mmtt
May 8, 2009
I only played about 30 minutes yesterday but I had an issue in the briefing for the infantry showcase and in the gear menu. It would hang or freeze. I couldn't pick anything from the inventory. Anyone reported issues with CrossFire ?

And god, that improvements in infantry combat next to arma. It finally feels like a proper shooter. Popularity of the game will skyrocket. I think with the money they got from DayZ, they finally have the budget to make a proper simulation.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you ever have to read .sqf files outside of the game, this will likely be of interest to you. It's a plugin for Notepad++, an awesome little app for writing code that highlights syntax in different colours and such to make it easier to read.

Renwick Customer
Aug 19, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Mederlock posted:

If you ever have to read .sqf files outside of the game, this will likely be of interest to you. It's a plugin for Notepad++, an awesome little app for writing code that highlights syntax in different colours and such to make it easier to read.

I have to say that this plugin is completely awesome and makes everything so much easier!

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
Iran might rethink their decision to ban Amra 3 once they see the badass sci-fi Persian super-soldiers this game offers.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

How true is the 'if you can run ARMA 2, you can run ARMA 3' statement?

I've got a C2D at 2.6 and a Radeon 6850, anyone else tried it with a similar system?

I should probably just wait a week for the Lite version, but at £20 for a pre order for something I'll hopefully be playing on a new system later in the year, it's tempting to take a punt right now.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

Renwick Customer posted:

OK, using that classnames thread and a script that someone made that I have now updated, it's possible to add all the items from the alpha into one box.

First, here is the pastebin for people who are familiar with the scripting: http://pastebin.com/6THpyCHX

If you are NOT familiar, here is a quick guide.

Start the editor, place a guy and an ammo crate. Save the mission and name it what you want.

Alt tab and go to my documents -> arma 3 alpha -> missions -> mission name.

Create a new text file and copy the contents of the above pastebin into it. Save it as fillammobox.sqf (you'll need to use the all documents tab to do this).

Go back into the game and double click on the ammo crate. In the Initialisation field copy and paste this into it:

code:
_Handle = this execVM "FillAmmoBox.sqf";
Save then preview, the ammobox will have loads of items!

EDIT: actually I could just zip up the mission folder and post it online, what is everyone using for hosting these days?
Thanks for this! This is exactly what I was wanting so I could test out all the guns and attachments.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Junkenstein posted:

How true is the 'if you can run ARMA 2, you can run ARMA 3' statement?

I've got a C2D at 2.6 and a Radeon 6850, anyone else tried it with a similar system?

I should probably just wait a week for the Lite version, but at £20 for a pre order for something I'll hopefully be playing on a new system later in the year, it's tempting to take a punt right now.

I'm running it on a Q6600 / 4850 for now and I think it runs better than Arma 2 on autodetect settings. You're fine.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Do waypoints/synchronization not work in the editor for anybody else? Are they not in the game yet?

The only issue I have had is a (system unrecoverable) crash from climbing first person into a PIP gunner seat. Updating my Nvidia graphics drivers fixed this.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Just gave it a quick try. Looks pretty nice, but I can't make out poo poo. My AI keeps seeing enemies, but I don't. At one point, red squares just start showing up.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just gave it a quick try. Looks pretty nice, but I can't make out poo poo. My AI keeps seeing enemies, but I don't. At one point, red squares just start showing up.
Yeah me too but I think this is just because I suck. Best I can do is just stay behind cover and pop out and try and engage them. I keep getting totally sluaghtered in that infantry tutorial. I think I am going to have to just put the AI skill down to minimum to give myself a chance.

Renwick Customer
Aug 19, 2008
Grimey Drawer

babies havin rabies posted:

Do waypoints/synchronization not work in the editor for anybody else? Are they not in the game yet?

The only issue I have had is a (system unrecoverable) crash from climbing first person into a PIP gunner seat. Updating my Nvidia graphics drivers fixed this.

Waypoints and sync work fine for me! Try switching to the traditional editor layout.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's a reason why I call Arma II a "you got shot because you didn't clear the previous loving town 20 miles back"-simulator. :shepface:

You're playing on large distances in this game, so you need to both slow down your pacing and start to worship magnifying scopes religiously so you improve your ability to monitor your surroundings a lot better. You getting your rear end handed is both because you're new to this game and the fact that unless you played the original delta forces, you never played a real long range game before.

This isn't and arcade game like CoD. :smug:

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I love it when people bring up Delta Force games, those games were my early teens. Especially the custom maps (custom maps were unlimited-tessellated terrain with game objects formed on said terrain).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Batham posted:

There's a reason why I call Arma II a "you got shot because you didn't clear the previous loving town 20 miles back"-simulator. :shepface:

:words:
I've played OFP, ArmA and ArmA2. While all of them had a certain degree of brownish mush uniforms over brownish environment, ArmA3 is the worst.

Then again, the AI was also spotting enemies around a hill, with no line of sight, so...

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Thought this would be appropriate here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_mESOTbEPs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

There must be some really smug faces around BIS.

"BIS games are always buggy unplayable messes eh? Let's see how they like our alpha test :smug:"

Though for real content, the new changes to the movement system is utterly amazing. GOTY2013