Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Should I really pledge another significant amount of money to a fourth kickstarter? I've already pledged to Project: Eternity, Barkley 2, War for the Overworld. By the way, what's the difference between the $95 pledge reward (which is sold out anyway) and the $110 pledge reward? I keep trying to find a difference but I can't.

Slow down on the kickstarters. poo poo!

Node fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Its been said before, but if your even modestly interested in Wasteland 2 you can pledge 45 to get it and Torment.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Node posted:

Should I really pledge another significant amount of money to a fourth kickstarter? I've already pledged to Project: Eternity, Barkley 2, War for the Overworld. By the way, what's the difference between the $95 pledge reward (which is sold out anyway) and the $110 pledge reward? I keep trying to find a difference but I can't.

Slow down on the kickstarters. poo poo!

The $95 tier is the same as the $110 tier, just limited, so you had incentive to pledge early.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

DerLeo posted:

The $95 tier is the same as the $110 tier, just limited, so you had incentive to pledge early.

Thank you.

I noticed this thread today and figured it had been up for a couple weeks, considering how much money has been pledged. Then I looked at the start date and it was... today. I'm late to the party and it's the first drat day.

Node fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 7, 2013

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

1.5 mil stretch goal reached! :woop:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm wondering now if they'll hit 1.8 mil and double their goal before the first 24 hours are up. If they miss it, I think it will be close.

Lobst
Mar 28, 2002

~HUG LIFE~

Klyith posted:

That said, it's pretty much "reading a book: the game" and not for everyone. Don't bother to look for interesting combat tactics because there are none.

In fact, anyone new to Torment, you should save yourself some time and just read the novelization. If all this game aspires to is huge walls of text, why not get your literature from the most literary medium of all? This way it'll be more coherent, and tightly edited, and--

Amazon User Review posted:

There is an interesting problem: how on earth can you write a novel in which the main character has no name? The book struggles clumsily with this stylistic problem, eventually naming him "Thane" at the end of chapter 3.

:stare:

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Torment is nothing like a book and its a really dumb thing to say just because the game features a lot of dialogue. The combat, inventory mechanics, art, interactivity, and sense of exploration are all crucial.

Page Downfall
May 5, 2009

the black husserl posted:

Torment is nothing like a book and its a really dumb thing to say just because the game features a lot of dialogue. The combat, inventory mechanics, art, interactivity, and sense of exploration are all crucial.

Yeah again, this. Don't get the wrong impression anyone who hasn't played/got far in it! It's a really good game.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lobst posted:

In fact, anyone new to Torment, you should save yourself some time and just read the novelization. If all this game aspires to is huge walls of text, why not get your literature from the most literary medium of all? This way it'll be more coherent, and tightly edited, and--

If you're not going to play it just read the Let's Play at the LP archive.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Some clarifications about the stretch goals from Adam Heine buried in comments thread :
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/comments?cursor=2383705#comment-2383705

quote:

@JM (and others with similar concerns): Here are the comments I posted previously on these topics (this dang thread just rolls too fast):
RE: ADDITIONAL GENDER
So, the original Planescape: Torment was about a single character that you couldn't customize beyond his stats; his name, gender, and backstory were the same no matter how many times you played it. This was one of the things that made PST unique among RPGs: it was about a very specific character, which allowed for the ridiculous story depth that PST is famous for.
And so that was our baseline. At minimum funding, we would've done it just like PST did it, with a character whose gender could not be changed. But as I said earlier, we really, really, really wanted to make this game playable by either gender, but we weren't sure we were going to have the funds to do that while at the same time providing a Torment experience.
So, yes, gender choice is something that most RPGs have by default, but most RPGs don't have the depth of reactivity that Torment had. We are therefore extremely happy to be able to provide this choice in a game with the kind of depth we plan to provide.
RE: TWO ADDITIONAL WRITERS
At minimum funding we would've had maybe 4 or 5 writers (I don't know the exact number). Now we have 2 more. For simplicity, say every writer increases the scope by an equal amount, then reaching $1.5M just gave you guys 40-50% more game.
Hope that makes sense :-)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Lobst posted:

If someone seriously wanted to enjoy PS:T as a book (maybe during commuting or whatnot), there is another novelization that is simply the game's dialogue from a playthrough, with just enough extra narration to connect it together. It's not better than the game or even than ShadowFoxWolfCat's LP, but it's definitely better than the official one. In fact, it's the first google result for "planescape torment book" or "planescape torment novelization" (the official one is fourth and thirteenth, respectively).

Page Downfall
May 5, 2009
I can't imagine coming away thinking 'drat that was good' if you just read all the dialogue out of context of the game and gameplay mechanics. Like Boogle said, at least read an LP instead.

The only way it's really like a book is that there is a lot of text compared to most games. But you make choices, explore, find and manipulate weird objects, and then the world responds to you and that's as much a part of the story as any vignette of text is.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lord Lambeth posted:

I hope they axe the "Tides of Numenera" part of the title. It just feels so generic fantasy.

I'm actually kind of surprised they get to call it Torment. I'm no IP lawyer, but if I were the owners of the PS:T brand, I would not be happy they are passing off the new game as a successor to the old game.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
From Software got away with "Dark Souls" even though they didn't own the Demon's Souls IP. This is a pretty similar case.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

V for Vegas posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised they get to call it Torment. I'm no IP lawyer, but if I were the owners of the PS:T brand, I would not be happy they are passing off the new game as a successor to the old game.

Well, they are the owners of the Torment IP, it's the Planescape one they don't own, thus Numenera

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Yeah Torment IP is still theirs entirely.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lobst posted:

This is the really horrible Planescape: Torment novelisation I'm looking for but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a digital copy anywhere :( I just want to see how bad it is. (Also, I'm in Malaysia and I'm not ready to spend the money to get this sent all the way across the world)

The one in the GOG bundle is this, by the way: http://www.wischik.com/lu/senses/pst-book.html

Orv
May 4, 2011
Console yourself with the equally terrible Baldur's Gate books instead! In audiobook format.

(Bring a revolver and one bullet.)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Wow the physical tiers are almost wiped out inside of day 1.

Any chance you guys will expand the available counts for the post-$95 ones?

Boogle posted:

If you're not going to play it just read the Let's Play at the LP archive.
Yeah that was well done. Out of the ones I have read I would put the PS:T thread and the 'A Scotsman in Egypt' R:TW LPs as two of the best ever.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Holy poo poo, I did not expect this to be even crazier than the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter. I did not have a chance to look at the Kickstarter after launch until tonight, and I was thinking I would be surprised if the total was either under $250k or over $750k. DOUBLE MY HIGH ESTIMATE~!

Wow, physical tiers almost wiped out? Maybe I need to actually pledge, then, huh.

coffeetable posted:

Pros: Wasteland 2 might not be the disaster I expected it to be
:InvasionoftheBodySnatchersendingface:

CottonWolf posted:

That's exactly my position. Post-apocalyptic wasteland is pretty generic as settings go.
While it is exciting that we have reached an era in gaming where "post-apocalyptic wasteland" is generic as a setting, a sequel to the first RPG that used that as a setting probably deserves a little leeway, surely?

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I've got a low tolerance for kickstarter pitches involving the dev's kids but this one worked fine.
Not that this matters, but that kid is just a random actor they got for the Wasteland 2 video, and everyone liked him so much that they decided to bring him back for this one. He has a wonderful career ahead of him in video game acting.

Also, as to the video, I agree that it was a retread of the Wasteland 2 video, but considering it is once again a reflection of actual events (he was approached by several publishers after the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter was such a success, including some who shut him down before) and is still more entertaining than the kind-of-awful "newsman interrogation" Wasteland 2 video, I think it worked.

the black husserl posted:

So Wasteland 2 and Project: Eternity could be seen as nostalgia bombs or flukes but I think the success of this campaign has really made it clear: if the games release, the isometric CRPG has officially been resurrected :)
THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT WOOO

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Page Downfall posted:

People say this all the time but I think it unintentionally makes what's a really fun part of the game sound dull (why play a clunky game that's like a book when I can, you know, read a book?).

<good points>
So what I meant by "reading a book: the game" is that a lot of your time spent playing the game is going to be spent reading the text box. The other large portion will be exploring the environments. It's not exactly passive, but it's less active than many games.

Playing the game is nothing like reading a book, because very few books come with hidden chapters that you have solve puzzles or know the psychology of the characters to unlock. Also the pages of those chapters are is extra-dimensional spaces so you don't even know they exist until you find them. Maybe House of Leaves, but that's it.

Personally, I missed a couple of really great plot points when I first played the game (at release, I'm old) and then found out about them on the internet. It's the one of the few games where after I got a spoiler, the game actually was less fun -- I usually don't have any reaction to game spoilers. So if you're reading this thread and inspired to play PS:T for the first time, don't read this thread. I'm sure there will be spoilers on the original game being discussed.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Yeah, Planescape: Torment is text and writing heavy but it's not exactly linear in dialogue (not in story - which is a perfect way to give an open ended feel and the story actual meaning) and the environment explorations are important. The gameplay apparently is not exactly easy either - I've been trying to get a friend to play the game for years now and the furthest he got (recently) was getting stuck and not able to kill anything in an underground crypt and not being able to leave either because he did something weird (that is, suck ;)). So it's not so easy for the box bashing platform fps lovers I guess, who dumped int and wis.

I'd be surprised if this doesn't set Kickstarter records, honestly. It's inspired by THE cult(iest) video game that refuses to be forgotten. I'm obviously too excited to be coherent right now.... so I'll go look at concept art and videos instead.

edit: Hm, kind of want a T shirt option on the digital tiers :/

Noricae fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 7, 2013

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I would have thought that pitch video to be truly awful, if not every thing in that video was an actual thing that happened (except the publisher being an actual kid, but I guess Brian Fargo just wanted the message conveyed that he's feeling old compared to the publishers out there now)

Like, a publisher wanting to cash-in on Kickstarter or never having heard of PlaneScape: Torment or the "sure, we'll license you now" pitch all have happened in real life in the last couple of months.

I think that's more embarrassing than the video, honestly.

Page Downfall
May 5, 2009

Noricae posted:

Yeah, Planescape: Torment is text and writing heavy but it's not exactly linear in dialogue (not in story - which is a perfect way to give an open ended feel and the story actual meaning) and the environment explorations are important. The gameplay apparently is not exactly easy either - I've been trying to get a friend to play the game for years now and the furthest he got (recently) was getting stuck and not able to kill anything in an underground crypt and not being able to leave either because he did something weird (that is, suck ;)). So it's not so easy for the box bashing platform fps lovers I guess, who dumped int and wis.

*FFS don't read spoilers if you haven't played this game*

You clearly know this so it's not the issue, but it sounds like your friend got stuck around one of the sections where you have to die to advance, but it reminds me that there are two places (iirc) where this is the case. However there is a dialogue option at the end that shows up only if you died one or fewer times. Do the current recommended mods fix this? I dunno, I always thought the idea of having a special response based on that in the end game was pretty cool, and it was shame it was effectively hidden from the player.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Is Planescape: Torment the pinnacle of cult favorite games? I can certainly see an argument for that, though of course I want there to be others out there so that we can look forward to more COLOSSO-GANGBUSTERS Kickstarters in the years to come.

Elite certainly did pretty well for itself. And I think I can say definitively (sorry to the Goon who I planned to put that "list of game sequels/reboots that should be Kickstartered" together with) Elite is the oldest game that has the potential for that kind of thing; the Infinity Engine games are probably the newest games whose genre has been abandoned by the big-name studios. So in the span of 1983 to 1999, are there any other obvious titles awaiting resurrection?

You know what, Zork would probably have a chance, if they could figure out a way to create a whole new kind of game experience while staying faithful to the super-wordy roots.

Obviously Ultima, maaaaybe a new Might & Magic or Wizardry in the older style even though those two both had chances in the 2000s, ... Darklands! Wing Commander? Questron? Maybe the Last Ninja?

I think Dungeon Master has missed its chance due to Legend of Grimrock. Specific Sierra franchises would probably not succeed due to other competing Adventure Game Restarter Kickstarters, though maybe King's Quest would still excite people?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Star Control 2.5. Or 3.5, whatever, let's just all admit 3 never happened.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

Brother None posted:

The very core of this project was based on modular design

I've noticed you saying this a couple of places... what does it actually mean in terms of being able to scale the content out as you gather funds?

The reason I ask is because the body swap mechanic seems to be a really easy (lazy?) way to put a bunch of 2-3 hour self-contained sidequests in the game. And while it allows you to do a bunch of interesting things without being leashed to the core plot, I think there's a danger in building out the core plot in a similar modular way.

To clarify, I think a plot that you have to design to scale from 8 to 24 modules long (depending on the funds you get coming in) is necessarily more linear than a web like PS:T. And I think the mechanic might start getting old at body swap #19.

Thoughts?

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.
Also, at the risk of double-posting, my wallet will always be open for these sorts of Kickstarters. Mainly because EA ruined Dead Space and that makes me sad.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's not quite as old, but I imagine someone making Freespace 3 could score a couple million if the KS pitch and the team behind it were good/well-known enough. Star Control too.

Alpha Centauri, Master of Orion, Master of Magic and the like are all also possible candidates, but just as with Dungeon Master/Legends of Grimrock, they're not quite completely lacking in the spiritual successor department.

It's really games like Wasteland 2, Project Eternity and Torment that took off because besides being in sub-genres that aren't actively being made, they're also fairly unique because it's the original team making them all over again. It would kind of like if non-crazy Lord British made a new Ultima or non-crazy Peter Molyneux made War for the Overworld. The designers themselves elevate the game('s potential) into a class all its own apart from some other guys who are not-Relic making renamed-Homeworld-3.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The game is $5 more than the impulse purchase ceiling. Someone give me $5 worth of reasons why I shouldn't listen to Mr. Threepwood. :tipshat: :toughguy:

Page Downfall
May 5, 2009

Quarex posted:

Wing Commander?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

In case you missed it, this one is happening.

stille
Oct 9, 2012
So, looks like they'll be hitting the 2mil goal today. I sure hope they're writing further stretch goals today, lest they be caught unawares again.

Here's to inXile, hope you guys and gals get more money than you know what to do with. Thank you.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Kicked in for 125, looking forward to seeing my grave in game.

Also, I'm kinda hoping we get the PDFs of the Numenera books before the game comes out so I can spend the lead up to this game's release reading up on the game world and stuff.

I bought two copies of PS:T back in the day (although technically one came free when I pre-ordered BG2) and I may purchase it from GoG some time just so I can reminisce on how rad it was.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's not quite as old, but I imagine someone making Freespace 3 could score a couple million if the KS pitch and the team behind it were good/well-known enough. Star Control too.

Alpha Centauri, Master of Orion, Master of Magic and the like are all also possible candidates, but just as with Dungeon Master/Legends of Grimrock, they're not quite completely lacking in the spiritual successor department.

It's really games like Wasteland 2, Project Eternity and Torment that took off because besides being in sub-genres that aren't actively being made, they're also fairly unique because it's the original team making them all over again. It would kind of like if non-crazy Lord British made a new Ultima or non-crazy Peter Molyneux made War for the Overworld. The designers themselves elevate the game('s potential) into a class all its own apart from some other guys who are not-Relic making renamed-Homeworld-3.

New Star Control and Darklands are the only ones I see doing as well as these. Oh and Outcast. Outcast would require a larger budget, though, so that's not happening.

Lord British is actually announcing an RPG (Kickstarter?) tomorrow.

Alpha Centauri has Pandora: First Contact coming up. It's literally Alpha Centauri but with changes that make it worse. If any of you guys care about Alpha Centauri at all, you should sign up for the beta and yell at them. (Their site is currently down. Walp.)

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Chairchucker posted:

Also, I'm kinda hoping we get the PDFs of the Numenera books before the game comes out so I can spend the lead up to this game's release reading up on the game world and stuff.

I backed Numenera directly and it presently has an estimated release date of August this year.
It is worth poking about the Numenera website just to get a better feel for the science fantasy style it is pushing. http://www.numenera.com/numenera-art/

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Page Downfall posted:

*FFS don't read spoilers if you haven't played this game*

You clearly know this so it's not the issue, but it sounds like your friend got stuck around one of the sections where you have to die to advance,
Haha, he refused to do so or take suggestions. I couldn't figure out *where* the problem was other than not dying - he's a game programmer/worked at a dev studio even so I just opted to make fun of his game playing skills. Suggested he just go ahead and get out the easiest way, but no, he wanted to fight his way out so.... yeah the standard rpg gameplay gets turned on its head in that game and I think it's a big part of the game (not the combat, or the UI, but the mechanics that advance the story).

Quarex posted:

Is Planescape: Torment the pinnacle of cult favorite games? I can certainly see an argument for that, though of course I want there to be others out there so that we can look forward to more COLOSSO-GANGBUSTERS Kickstarters in the years to come.
Well, it was a bit of a hyperbole, sure, and I think every single game you listed is worthy of old-school niche status and deserves worthy successors. I was thinking of cult in a more of "underrated when released and slowly gained a larger and larger following through mostly word of mouth" (outside of the reviewers at release). I played most of the games on your list, and quite a lot of my friends did in the past and also knew about them; they're more 'awesome nerd classics.' Planescape? I couldn't find a single friend (in college) who played it at release and I passed my cd around to anyone that I could get to listen for a while. I felt like it took a long time for the game to be an often mentioned name when RPGs get brought up and I've lost track of how many people I've raved about PS:T to in fifteen years. So, yeah, ymmv and hyperbole post and I think there are some more great Kickstarters ahead :)

Chairchucker posted:

Kicked in for 125, looking forward to seeing my grave in game.
Same. I hope we get to include a line or two on the gravestone and it's not just a name. I'd like to add an awful joke/pun in there. Also excited to read through the Numenera core book (and maybe buy a physical copy later if it's interesting enough).

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Quarex posted:

While it is exciting that we have reached an era in gaming where "post-apocalyptic wasteland" is generic as a setting, a sequel to the first RPG that used that as a setting probably deserves a little leeway, surely?

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'll probably pick Wasteland up when it comes out. I'm sure (I hope) that it'll be a good game. But it's got to the point where I'm not willing throw money at traditional post apocalyptic games on faith.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

One thing about the Wasteland 2 setting which excited me somewhat was that there appears to be a lot of vegetative regrowth. I'm really looking forward to hopefully seeing office buildings with trees growing through them and covered in vines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That is reasonable, CottonWolf. I actually do not do that, either; I have still never played Fallout: Tactics for that very reason; the genre is now represented well enough that I can play The Best instead of just having to take The Available. (For the record Wasteland 2 is going to rule though omg)

Oh. OH! OHH! Wow. Yeah, I had a vague awareness of that, but the best I had done was realized that "Privateer" was a word thrown about in relation to it ... and until I was staring at the word on the Kickstarter page, I did not even remember that that was connected with Wing Commander. I fell out of space simulation games so hard in the early 1990s that I am only now recovering. Dang, now I should have gotten in on that.

Noricae posted:

Well, it was a bit of a hyperbole, sure, and I think every single game you listed is worthy of old-school niche status and deserves worthy successors. I was thinking of cult in a more of "underrated when released and slowly gained a larger and larger following through mostly word of mouth" (outside of the reviewers at release). I played most of the games on your list, and quite a lot of my friends did in the past and also knew about them; they're more 'awesome nerd classics.' Planescape? I couldn't find a single friend (in college) who played it at release and I passed my cd around to anyone that I could get to listen for a while. I felt like it took a long time for the game to be an often mentioned name when RPGs get brought up and I've lost track of how many people I've raved about PS:T to in fifteen years. So, yeah, ymmv and hyperbole post and I think there are some more great Kickstarters ahead :)
That makes sense. You are basically saying that since it was an amazing game whose reputation has just continued to grow since its release, it is the pinnacle of the type of game that would do best on Kickstarter even if it itself might not be the number one. Like how Dark Heart of Uukrul (while still completely unknown by Kickstarter standards) has gone from "incredibly obscure MS-DOS-era CRPG" to "talked about in reverent tones on classic CRPG pages" in the past several years. Why, at this rate, by 2050, there will be clamoring for a sequel!

• Locked thread