Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Trying to join random Wasteland game session, but they all make ArmA3 crash. Any ideas what would cause this?

The mission is buggy as gently caress and crashes constantly. It's fun when it works though :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

babies havin rabies posted:

I've never played ACE, but it really puts you at walking speed for carrying an AT kit? Do the mod's creators realize that an AT4 weighs like 15 lbs? Do they realize that a soldier with average conditioning can jog a few miles with full gear with little effort? :psyduck:

You can carry an M16, ~10-12 mags of ammunition for it, AT4, 3 grenades, basic navigation stuff, all while coming under the magical 30 KG barrier in ACE, which lets you run for extended periods of time without issue. The SMAW on the other hand, is much heavier, and each missile also weighs several kilograms, making it so you can only carry about 4 missiles between a 2 man AT team after you factor in an M4 and some ammo, but I don't see the issue with that. The SMAW can take out or at least disable any of the MBT's in Arma 2, and is highly accurate due to the ballistically matched spotting rifle and zero-able scoped optics. The AT4 can do the same to any APC/medium armor, and several can take out a MBT. Really, it's perfectly fine, it's just the default loadouts for soldiers tend to be on the heavier side anyways. One issue, that's easily solved, however, is that AR's and machinegunners are given an item at the start of the mission called the spare barrel bag. The idea is is that you have to change the barrel on the machineguns after excessive shooting. The thing weighs like 5 god drat KG. In practice, you'll die before you ever get to that point, so just drop the drat thing. If you do, a SAW or RPK-74 gunner can carry several hundred rounds of ammunition and still come under 30 kg. Also satchel charges are loving heavy as hell too, like somewhere around 5 kg. Give the things to some dude who's only a riflemen or grenadier or something, as they have the weight to spare.

TL;DR Don't load up on explosives and drop your spare barrel bags in ACE. Also, jog, don't sprint, gently caress.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Why must you do this to me.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

VarXX posted:

Last time I played ACE it turned you into a 600lb asthmatic with narcolepsy who couldn't walk 20 feet without passing out in every mission. Anytime someone would tell that one dev he was an idiot for doing it he'd go off on a rant about how he's been "in the poo poo" and you haven't. I'd play ACE if they took that poo poo out.

Zedic.txt

edit: ACE had some good things and bad things. I know they were trying to be all REALISM!!!!!! but somethings should be removed. Not having ear plugs, come on just assume I have them in from spawn and not include them so i dont go deaf when someone farts.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 7, 2013

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Trying to join random Wasteland game session, but they all make ArmA3 crash. Any ideas what would cause this?

It's just the buggy nature of the mod at this time. After persisting to try 3 or so times, I was able to play Wasteland for a few hours last night. Eventually it crashed when I tried to loot a body that had since dissolved into the ground after I opened its gear menu :v:

Wasteland with bulletproof vehicles everywhere just isn't wasteland yet, anyway. I assume Ifrits spawning will eventually be a special event.

What are the vents on their backs that connect to their helmets with tubes? Is that in-helmet climate control?

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 7, 2013

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Mederlock posted:

Also satchel charges are loving heavy as hell too, like somewhere around 5 kg. Give the things to some dude who's only a riflemen or grenadier or something, as they have the weight to spare.

5kg? Try more like almost 9kg. :v: They are so loving heavy it's almost absurd. Had no idea about the Spare barrel bag though. Good to know.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN

babies havin rabies posted:

It's just the buggy nature of the mod at this time. After persisting to try 3 or so times, I was able to play Wasteland for a few hours last night. Eventually it crashed when I tried to loot a body that had since dissolved into the ground after I opened its gear menu :v:

Wasteland with bulletproof vehicles everywhere just isn't wasteland yet, anyway. I assume Ifrits spawning will eventually be a special event.

What are the vents on their backs that connect to their helmets with tubes? Is that in-helmet climate control?

Could be that, or it could be related to their super scifi HUD system.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

VarXX posted:

The mission is buggy as gently caress and crashes constantly. It's fun when it works though :shobon:
Not so much. The one session I managed, I went sneakily around the island, and a few minutes I've managed to get some decent gear, RPG from behind. :argh:

The only decent tactic seems to get geared up early when the map starts and then hole yourself up.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Rubber Slug posted:

Could be that, or it could be related to their super scifi HUD system.

I think it's some sort of climate control, looks similar to this patent:

How nice of future super-Iran :3:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Cooked Auto posted:

5kg? Try more like almost 9kg. :v: They are so loving heavy it's almost absurd. Had no idea about the Spare barrel bag though. Good to know.

Ah, makes sense, check it out.

quote:

The later U.S. M183 Demolition Charge Assembly contained 20 lb (9.1 kg) of C-4 in each satchel, and could be used with a timed fuse.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satchel_charge

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Can someone give me the inventory management 101.

I managed to take off scopes from weapons but I have no idea how to put em back on. Also have no idea how to go about customizing the characters look.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Ah makes sense then. Even if it's still kinda annoying.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Is there something more to wasteland than just wandering around for minutes at a time before getting shot at by someone you can't see? I find that sort of whole-island TDM gameplay to just be tedious as hell.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Mr. Peepers posted:

Is there something more to wasteland than just wandering around for minutes at a time before getting shot at by someone you can't see? I find that sort of whole-island TDM gameplay to just be tedious as hell.

It comes into it's own when you have a squad of you communicating with each other, then you can attack the objectives and run into other squads doing the same and have good fire fights.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Jippa posted:

It comes into it's own when you have a squad of you communicating with each other, then you can attack the objectives and run into other squads doing the same and have good fire fights.

There's really nothing better than building a roadblock along the coast road and ambushing enemy vehicles with 3 or 4 buddies. Then you take their vehicle and add it to the roadblock :black101:

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Mr. Peepers posted:

From what I can tell no, but as the others say, find buddies and go killin cunts. I played some tonight and got shot at while navigating the inventory system. Getting some major Delta Force Land Warrior vibes from this game. It's nice to have a sunny environment that isn't desert or eastern europe.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

For some reason whenever I'm playing multiplayer my FPS goes to complete and utter poo poo. I'm talking slideshow levels. And no matter how many settings I change it makes absolutely no difference.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

WMain00 posted:

For some reason whenever I'm playing multiplayer my FPS goes to complete and utter poo poo. I'm talking slideshow levels. And no matter how many settings I change it makes absolutely no difference.

Lots of people are getting this, so hopefully BIS will get on it soon.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

WMain00 posted:

I found that this depends massively on the mission. Specifically, if it was wasteland it ran like poo poo, and everything else ran smooth as butter.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Yeah wasteland seemed to be pretty disastrous for me. Saying that all the servers currently feel a little choppy. As long as its a reported bug. Guess I'll go play with the editor instead!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
More than anything it depends on the hosts computer. Since most people are running either the server from in game, or running it from a "dedicated" server on the same computer as they are playing on, the server (hosts) fps is bound to be poo poo. It'll be a lot better when a proper dedicated server exe is released. The telltale sign of this is that changing settings do nothing.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

The battleguns wasteland server has been giving me playable performance, you also start with a rifle.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
So what's a good mission to just be dumped onto the island and have random poo poo spawn (Friendly and foe)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Remember we still don't have dedicated servers. Once they get it out, the MP performance will improve.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

simosimo posted:

So what's a good mission to just be dumped onto the island and have random poo poo spawn (Friendly and foe)

This one: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18782

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've noticed massive lag spikes and teleporting when riding along as the gunner in one of those jeep thingies (lfrits?) in multiplayer. The little thermal scope MFD in front of you that actually updates as you spin the turret around is pretty neato though!

Also, are the lfrits with the .50s supposed to only have like 100 rounds in the gun? I was trying to use one to shoot down a helicopter, expecting at least a couple of belts' worth of ammo like most vehicle guns in ArmA, but ran out before I even got it to smoke.

Finally, are there any guided AT rockets in the game yet? I was trying to get a lock using the one that looks kind of like a javelin or a dragon but couldn't get it to target anything.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 7, 2013

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Okay, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm trying to learn my way around the editor, and apparently if I want to add the ability to respawn I have to stop what I'm doing, save, quit out, make a text file in the map folder, fill it with code, re-open, and hope I coded it right? :psyduck:

Is there a way to do it in the init that's in-editor? That seems crazy convoluted, but also very Arma-like.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Finally, are there any guided AT rockets in the game yet? I was trying to get a lock using the one that looks kind of like a javelin or a dragon but couldn't get it to target anything.

Don't know if it was the difficulty level but the NLAW at least locked for me or I had the luckiest goddamn shot ever hitting an iranian spacejeep at over half a kilometer.

Also, the newest shooting stance is the best thing ever:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
I feel like he should be in a lounge chair with one of those drinks with the tiny umbrellas next to him.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Daedalus1134 posted:

Okay, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm trying to learn my way around the editor, and apparently if I want to add the ability to respawn I have to stop what I'm doing, save, quit out, make a text file in the map folder, fill it with code, re-open, and hope I coded it right? :psyduck:

Is there a way to do it in the init that's in-editor? That seems crazy convoluted, but also very Arma-like.

You can write the script files in the mission folder while the editor is running, you might just have to save and reload the mission to get it to recognize it. Just don't edit the mission file itself while the mission is open in the editor.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
How do you add Arma 2 stuff in the editor?

I've made a @arma2 folder with all of the addons but in Arma 3 editor I can't find any of the A2 stuff. Also tried starting with launch option ;-mod=@arma2 but don't think that works.
Want to try some of the vanilla guns out.

NVM figured it out. Don't put A2 addons in A3 addon folder. Make it in the A3's directory like this Whereyoursteaminstallis/Arma3/@Arma2/Addons. Launch with the options above and enable it in expansions. This should be fun.

KennyLoggins fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 7, 2013

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

hailthefish posted:

You can write the script files in the mission folder while the editor is running, you might just have to save and reload the mission to get it to recognize it. Just don't edit the mission file itself while the mission is open in the editor.

Ah! Thanks! That makes it significantly more bearable if I can just alt tab between the two of them.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm playing around with the editor with my goal being to create a Pararescue type mission with UH-60's.

Is there anyway to insert burning wreckage of some kind, or is this done through coding?

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

Vatek posted:

I feel like he should be in a lounge chair with one of those drinks with the tiny umbrellas next to him.

You're not alone:

(not mine)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I am really liking the idea of these new modular weapon mod systems. If it's really just a few lines of code and geometry adjusting, as it appears to be, to get a custom weapon to accept mods...well let's say I can't wait for my laser-sighted thermal-scoped grenade-launchered solid gold AKM :pcgaming:

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaCw_tu8U-4

Dslyecxi's ST HUD has been confirmed working for ARMA 3, download it here

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

SoapyTarantula posted:

It really seems like the issues you both had were due to the people playing, not the mod itself. ACE isn't perfect, but blaming it for people doing stupid things is pretty silly.
Well, it was about 2-3 years ago. Thinking about it further, we were support guys. We were fit out with AT and MG ammo. It was a double failing of ACE and the makers of the mission forgetting that because of ACE, you couldn't really carry more than a stock loadout without passing out every 50 meters. Also, it was during a rather infamous time where the stamina system was REALLY bad. Like, really REALLY bad.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Rubber Slug posted:

Lots of people are getting this, so hopefully BIS will get on it soon.

Most definitely the lack of dedicated server. Arma 2 is similar.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
There is a dedicated server trick, but you need steam and winserver 2008.
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147537-Tutorial-How-to-run-ArmA3-server-on-a-dedicated-server

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

This is pretty awesome. Forgive the newbie question, but is there any way I can change my loadout in this?