Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.

catdynamite posted:

You are missing out on some A+ Bowser voice acting.

Also, you're missing out on playing a 3d mario that doesn't have a proper long jump.

Playing it for the Mario Marathon, I've already lost too many lives between the manta surfing and the sand bird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Magnatux posted:

Also, you're missing out on playing a 3d mario that doesn't have a proper long jump.

Playing it for the Mario Marathon, I've already lost too many lives between the manta surfing and the sand bird.

Yeah. Long jumping all the way up tall tall mountain is amazing.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Long jumping around the Mario 64 stages was seriously the most fun thing ever. There were all these parts where you could see that Nintendo had specifically made the distances between certain objects exactly the right distance for long jumping, but there were also parts where they had apparently forgotten you could long jump and you could end up in the strangest places.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I replayed Super Mario 64 DS on a 3DS, and the analog stick really works wonders.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ariong posted:

I replayed Super Mario 64 DS on a 3DS, and the analog stick really works wonders.

The stick on the 3DS is a little odd. I expect it to have more resistance or something. Haven't put my finger on why exactly it doesn't feel comfortable.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008

Bruceski posted:

The stick on the 3DS is a little odd. I expect it to have more resistance or something. Haven't put my finger on why exactly it doesn't feel comfortable.

For one thing, trying to use the Circle Pad with a DS game just maps it back onto a digital input, so I have no idea what all these people are talking about with SM64DS. For another, there's the fact that it's just, quite simply, not a stick, so it handles differently.

That's not to say it's terrible... for actual 3ds games, which can actually use the analog input, it's definitely a far better analog control option than any handheld has yet had. It just takes a little work getting used to it before you can do anything but jam it 100% in whatever direction when under pressure.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArgonMatrix posted:

:siren:Challenge!:siren:

So I already had a challenge idea lined up for Tall Trunk Galaxy, namely completing the first star without the Blimp Fruit, but it seems I've also been dared to do Cloudy Court cloudless, so I went ahead and tried that one without knowing whether it was possible. See how it all pans out it this exciting double feature!

Goombas are chestnuts. What are you, some sort of Mario newbie? (Kiddin'. Good video.)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

legoman727 posted:

...Holy poo poo. Those platforms in Cloudy Court are perfectly spaced so that you don't need the cloud flower to cross it.

Nintendo, you wonderful motherfuckers.

Yeah, I'm surprised. I guess they did that in case you run out of cloud or something? Or maybe it was just a happy accident. Regardless, I'm surprised you made it this far, and I was almost expecting you do go all the way, with like a long jump off the spring or something.

Ropnolc
Mar 7, 2013
I'm loving this Let's play so far and I felt that this had to be done.

Mario's gotta get that star somehow if he insists on ground pounding onto them.

Diabetus
Jul 5, 2004
That's so amazing that I'm gonna post another video IMMEDIATELY.

:mario: Part XIII - Haunty Halls/Freezy Flake/Beat Block/Rolling Masterpiece Galaxies :mario:

Baldurdash / YouTube
(guests: slowbeef)

:toot: Soundtrack :toot:
- Haunty Halls Galaxy theme
- Freezy Flake Galaxy theme
- Beat Block Galaxy theme
- Rolling Masterpiece Galaxy theme

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue4Bca8DbAQ

Mario on drugs ice. It's like some sort of 80's nightmare.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
Is the chimp an homage to 90s video game culture?

withheldmcfakename
Oct 30, 2011

did you know that
knuckles once smoked
out of a bong made
out of a disco ball?
At the end of the video, Lubba ominously asked us to hang on a sec.

I have a feeling some leg-breaking's in store for Mario for forgetting his name, paving the way for nothing but Luigi, aww yeaaaah :smug:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Dectilon posted:

Is the chimp an homage to 90s video game culture?

It's that rear end in a top hat chimp from Tall Tall Mountain that steals your hat

John Liver
May 4, 2009

"Eating the pennies out of Mario's rear end in a top hat" is not a phrase I expected to hear while eating nachos. I almost died.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I'd like to see someone do beat block without ever landing on a yellow block.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"Oh yeah?! gently caress YOU," Brooklyn Bruiser shouts at his monitor.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"Oh yeah?! gently caress YOU," Brooklyn Bruiser shouts at his monitor.

He's really from Jersey.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Dusseldorf posted:

He's really from Jersey.

I don't want to contribute to a repeat derail, but we are no joke arguing about the pronunciation in our office again right now. I'm losing 4-2.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
You asked for it Betus. You asked for it. Sorry if I brought up any bad memories slowbeef. :ohdear:

So I always loved the ghostly galaxies in the Mario Galaxy games, despite hating the Ghost Houses in Super Mario World. LOVE the rearrangement they put there and gently caress YES LUIGI!
I also want to point out that after nearly 20 years, Yoshi has FINALLY gathered up the bravery to enter any ghost-infested area. My baby dino's all grown up. :3:

I'm so proud of him.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 9, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

withheldmcfakename posted:

I have a feeling some leg-breaking's in store for Mario for forgetting his name, paving the way for nothing but Luigi, aww yeaaaah :smug:

Maybe if it was, Diabetus wouldn't die and waste our time.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
I always hated the Ghost Houses in Super Mario World, so it's gratifying too see the spooky levels expanded upon. That said, I believe the ghost levels from the endgame of 3D Land top the one in this game. One in particular had a giant boo that relentlessly chased you and forced you to platform faster. Fun as hell.

deadly mawk
Sep 7, 2010

Ghost houses are my favourite thing in a Mario game. It's like the level designers get the go-ahead to try every weird or rude trick that came to mind while doing normal levels, and just run with it. I'm glad that here the puzzles are more action-oriented than find-the-right-door-oriented, though.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
One thing I really like about Ghost levels in Mario games is Nintendo seems to have some kind of universal agreement that the Ghost levels are allowed be total bastards and troll\infuriate the player as much as possible. It's a good break of pace from the more normal levels and also gently caress Boos :argh:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

FinalGamer posted:

You asked for it Betus. You asked for it. Sorry if I brought up any bad memories slowbeef. :ohdear:

So I always loved the ghostly galaxies in the Mario Galaxy games, despite hating the Ghost Houses in Super Mario World. LOVE the rearrangement they put there and gently caress YES LUIGI!
I also want to point out that after nearly 20 years, Yoshi has FINALLY gathered up the bravery to enter any ghost-infested area. My baby dino's all grown up. :3:

I'm so proud of him.

He had the courage to enter them in Yoshi's Island. Something happened in Yoshi's life (his story one might say) that gave him a fear of ghost houses. Perhaps Galaxy 2 happens prior to Super Mario World in the established Mario canon.

Boyks
Nov 6, 2011

Say 'what' again, huh huh. Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you butt monkey, say what one more damn time!

FinalGamer posted:

Just w-why? I have no words.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

MassRayPer posted:

He had the courage to enter them in Yoshi's Island. Something happened in Yoshi's life (his story one might say) that gave him a fear of ghost houses. Perhaps Galaxy 2 happens prior to Super Mario World in the established Mario canon.
...OH wait a minute, Yoshi got just-hatched out of an egg or something in Mario World didn't he? He must have been very young or maybe it was another Yoshi not...from...Yoshi's Island-okay fuckit I dunno what happened to him but it's good to see he overcame that fear.

Enormatron
Dec 22, 2009
So... I actually liked the rollerball levels in Mario Galaxy. I don't know why, especially considering I'm not a big fan of motion controls or gimmick levels in general, but I always had a good time with those. One of the rollerball levels we are gonna see waaay later on is one of my favorite levels in the game. Also Bill Board isn't as bad as Phil Board, the sign from the bubble levels in the first game. Those were awful, and I'm glad they weren't brought back (at least I think they weren't).

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Whenever a fortress or ghost house is about to start in World Yoshi's just like "Oh, shoot, look at the time Mario, I just remembered I had a thing. You know, a thing. I mean I'd totally go with you into that deathtrap but I've had these plans for like a month and I can't miss them. Yeah, yeah, I'll catch up later."

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

If I remember correctly, Yoshi being in a shell in World was supposed to be a curse, so maybe he simply developed claustrophobia. He wouldn't enter fortresses either.

This only took me about a minute to think up, and I still feel like I've thought way too hard about it.

And I also sort-of like the rolling ball simply because of how the music changes based on how fast you're going. Also, because I actually understand how to control the thing, unlike with the bird, where I just sort of flail around wildly and hope for the best.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

The boos/Koopalings/Reznors in SMW politely ask him to please leave Yoshi at the door because you do have any idea what Yoshi slobber does to the carpet I mean really.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

FinalGamer posted:

I'm so proud of him.

Good to see Jason Bateman used to get work

ArgonMatrix
Jun 11, 2012

The Nonagram loves you, truly.

General Ironicus posted:

I'd like to see someone do beat block without ever landing on a yellow block.

Hmm... yeah, okay.

:siren:Challenge Video!:siren:

In addition to the challenge showcased above, I also went and showed how to get through Haunty Halls Galaxy without using the Bulb Berry. This one's short and sweet, so enjoy!

shinmai
Oct 9, 2007

CHK Instruction
Am I crazy or does the music in Rolling Masterpiece Galaxy change tempo according to how fast the player is moving. When I played the game I thought it just happened to sync up at times (I guess you don't always pay that much attention to little details like that when wrangling with bullshit motion control gimmickery) but looking at the video it seems to sync up pretty much all the time. If it actually does follow the players velocity, it's another one of those cool little details I love about the Galaxy games.
I like the art-style of the galaxy in general. It reminds me of what I liked about the Micro Machines games (and about Katamari, to some extent), everyday objects as building blocks for something exiting.

This game really hammers home that Galaxy 1 & 2 really are far and away the best looking Wii games, all the neat scrolling platform and invisible floor parts in ghost galaxies are really cool, both visually and gameplay-wise. It's nice that Nintendo can bring the best out of their own hardware, but I hope they do a better job of helping 3rd party devs do the same on Wii U, as opposed to how it went down on the Wii, where appart from 1st party titles, there were like three or four decent looking games, and at least 50% of the whole catalogue was total shovelware.

ArgonMatrix posted:

:siren:Challenge Video!:siren:

Holy poo poo does Yoshi take up speed when fluttering sideways. Awesome work as always, kudos.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

FinalGamer posted:

This is clearly fake. Alyssa Milano lives in Nintendo. She was ogled by the Food Chairman of Double Dragon.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 9, 2013

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

slowbeef posted:

I don't want to contribute to a repeat derail, but we are no joke arguing about the pronunciation in our office again right now. I'm losing 4-2.

For what it's worth, I and every other person I know has always pronounced it your way.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

The "again" part is the part that catches my eye. It's a recurring debate for him?

And to contribute more than just that or a reiteration of my last post, are Snifits not just Shy Guys with gun-masks? I just assumed that they were and never thought that they might not be.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008

Aston posted:

For what it's worth, I and every other person I know has always pronounced it your way.

Pretty sure every person anyone knows who isn't trolling, including Nintendo on the rare occasions they voice act Mario games, pronounces it the same way.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Snifits are just shy guys with gas masks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Devil Ed posted:

Snifits are just shy guys with gas masks.

Gas masks that shoot (incredibly slow) bullets.

• Locked thread