Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Alain Perdrix posted:

The game runs so wonderfully for me most of the time. SP, and most MP scenarios, are both great. For some reason, though, Wasteland just fucks my framerate up, no matter where I go or what I do.
That's because at last check, the Arma 3 version of Wasteland is poorly coded, and without a dedicated server binary it may be that the server host is essentially running the server from the same computer that they're playing on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

Chortles posted:

That's because at last check, the Arma 3 version of Wasteland is poorly coded, and without a dedicated server binary it may be that the server host is essentially running the server from the same computer that they're playing on.

That's a relief, if it's not just me.

In other news, here's a cool glitch I got after shooting some OPFOR dude:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Is there a reason framerate drops significantly when driving vehicles? In some, the picture-in-picture is obviously the issue, bringing my average 40-60 fps down to about 10-15. Even while driving a quad-bike my fps drops to at least 20 fps.
I can't complain about much else though, after a beta driver update and some launch parameters it runs and looks excellent on slightly above the recommended specs.

karphead
Apr 20, 2001

Chortles posted:

Is there any word on when we're going to see dedicated server software? Beta? How soon was the Linux server software released after Arma 2?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Odobenidae posted:

Is there a reason framerate drops significantly when driving vehicles? In some, the picture-in-picture is obviously the issue, bringing my average 40-60 fps down to about 10-15. Even while driving a quad-bike my fps drops to at least 20 fps.
I can't complain about much else though, after a beta driver update and some launch parameters it runs and looks excellent on slightly above the recommended specs.

I would suspect it's something to do with the physics not being very well optimized just yet.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

I'm just gonna leave this screenshot here.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Mederlock posted:

Apparently a lot of people with 600 series cards are having issues, I'm guessing that improved drivers from nvidia might be the answer to this problem.

If you have 660 TI don't use MSAA over 2x. Preferably only FXAA or no AA. Apparently the limited bandwith really fucks the card over when AA is used.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

BIG HORNY COW posted:

VS 38 Random Firefight

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vixrzfa5s0gi5al/VS%252038%2520Random%2520firefight%2520v1.Stratis.pbo

I made a bunch of these back in the WGL days. They're super simple and were always pretty fun. We had one for about every map we used.

-OPFOR spawns in one of 5 places and defends it from BLUFOR.
-Ends when one side dies or all of OPFOR is outside their defensive zone. (No insta-kill poo poo, you can go wherever you want, but as soon as nobody is left in the spawn area, OPFOR loses)
-BLUFOR has a handful of vehicles and OPFOR has mines / explosives.
-OPFOR Squad Leader must be filled with a player or AI (don't disable AI)

We tried playing this today. Driving all over the island trying to find the single place the AI spawned, with no hints at all, was exactly the opposite of fun. Once we finally got there (it was the last place we checked, on the opposite end of the island) we started to get into a really enjoyable close quarters fight, but then the host crashed. You want my advice: have opfor spawn at *all* the marked locations, or at least indicate which of them to go to. Make sure you get respawns too.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Alain Perdrix posted:

That's a relief, if it's not just me.
Right now people are having to use the -server command line option to force the game .exe, although for people who have Windows Server 2008 or 2012, there's this workaround.

karphead posted:

Is there any word on when we're going to see dedicated server software? Beta? How soon was the Linux server software released after Arma 2?
The "x2" and "x4" below indicate "double and quad effort": By the way, TKOH content in RV4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ39cZBDJPE&hd=1

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Ralith posted:

We tried playing this today. Driving all over the island trying to find the single place the AI spawned, with no hints at all, was exactly the opposite of fun. Once we finally got there (it was the last place we checked, on the opposite end of the island) we started to get into a really enjoyable close quarters fight, but then the host crashed. You want my advice: have opfor spawn at *all* the marked locations, or at least indicate which of them to go to. Make sure you get respawns too.

Ah, forgot the hint command is client side and it needs to be global. Ill fix that later tonight (it tells you where they spawn)

Also you really want at least one opfor soldier to be a player - preferably the squad leader. Its really supposed to be an adversarial mission anyway

Edit: ill make it delete all the other red area markers once opfor spawns too, just for added measure

BIG HORNY COW fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 10, 2013

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Do the vehicles not have physics yet or is it just me? Blown up cars always seems to land on their wheels and choppers on their blades. Plus I have tried blowing up a car on the side of a hill to see it it rolls down but it doesn't seem to. They said they were implementing PhysX 3.0 really late in the piece so I am guessing it hasn't made the alpha like the Take On flight model hasn't made it.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

fuckpot posted:

Do the vehicles not have physics yet or is it just me? Blown up cars always seems to land on their wheels and choppers on their blades. Plus I have tried blowing up a car on the side of a hill to see it it rolls down but it doesn't seem to. They said they were implementing PhysX 3.0 really late in the piece so I am guessing it hasn't made the alpha like the Take On flight model hasn't made it.

What do you think is handling the dynamics of you driving around in it?

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Ah, forgot the hint command is client side and it needs to be global. Ill fix that later tonight (it tells you where they spawn)

Also you really want at least one opfor soldier to be a player - preferably the squad leader. Its really supposed to be an adversarial mission anyway

Edit: ill make it delete all the other red area markers once opfor spawns too, just for added measure

The fixes sound good. But why would we want anyone on opfor when we can all hang out together and shoot AI mans as a group?

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Fred Dawes posted:

If anyone figures out how to do this, please post, I need to know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wurl4ULEMJI

Standing near burning vehicles causes that.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Any VIDEO related cheats other than putting shadows on MED-High is better than low? Good to know, especially any launch parameters too?

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Ralith posted:

The fixes sound good. But why would we want anyone on opfor when we can all hang out together and shoot AI mans as a group?
True but trying to assault a bunch of dug-in players who have a crate full of explosives and landmines is always more interesting. Plus if you have one player as the opfor SL he can at least position the ai around the bases

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Chortles posted:

Right now people are having to use the -server command line option to force the game .exe, although for people who have Windows Server 2008 or 2012, there's this workaround.
The "x2" and "x4" below indicate "double and quad effort":
By the way, TKOH content in RV4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ39cZBDJPE&hd=1

:staredog: I really want pedals now and a TrackIR.

simosimo posted:

Any VIDEO related cheats other than putting shadows on MED-High is better than low? Good to know, especially any launch parameters too?

Supposedly -nobenchmark helps reduce crashing and improves performance.

e:

kloa fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 10, 2013

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Have been playing Wasteland and have been loving the movement system still, the only gripe I have is the gear menu but it's still miles better than what we had. Still unsure of how mags work, for instance I pick up a gun and find the mags in the dead guy, but even still he won't take it. 'rearm' seems to work fine though so whatever

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

So I bought the alpha, how do I even start a custom mission? I downloaded a random one from this thread. I cant see something in the menu anywhere...this is making me feel dumb.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm pretty sure you have to host a LAN session and use load the custom mission there. Alternatively it might be possible to place the file in your missions folder and load it through the editor.

I'm a bit of a noob myself.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
Updated:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v90sams3ocygha4/VS_38_Random_firefight_v2.Stratis.pbo

-Map now shows only where OPFOR spawns
-Changed hints to trigger texts so everyone can see them
-Renamed file to get rid of all the %20 nonsense

Here's the decompiled editor version, feel free to screw around with it however you may like. Add guns and helicopters and scuba dudes, go hog wild:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zoi414j4xk3t7vx/qUk6mlKvJH

The OPFOR group just has to remain grouped to the question mark markers for the random spawn to work.

Also: Does anyone know how to edit the info that shows up in the box on the left at the mission select screen? IE: Min Players, Max Players, Type, etc? I know it all goes in the description.ext but I just don't know the syntax.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Arma 3 Alpha is the top seller on steam right now, not bad for a milsim especially when Day Z is going to be standalone and not part of Arma 3. :buddy:

e:

simosimo posted:

Ah man, I almost forgot about the Day Z stand alone being on the A2/Take on engine, even though they'll probably do a lot to improve it, I just hope it's not going to feel like that same feeling of wanting the best toy as a kid, but getting the cheaper, slightly less good toy. No matter, will love it either way, probably my favourite game going right now.

Sure it will rock either way, but a return to jankyness will probably get a few spergs moaning :|
There's most likely going to be a ton of similar Day Z mods to Arma 3, although I look forward to seeing what they do with the standalone, I saw a bunch of work went into mocapping new animations, so they seem to be tooling around with the engine at the least.

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 10, 2013

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Ah man, I almost forgot about the Day Z stand alone being on the A2/Take on engine, even though they'll probably do a lot to improve it, I just hope it's not going to feel like that same feeling of wanting the best toy as a kid, but getting the cheaper, slightly less good toy. No matter, will love it either way, probably my favourite game going right now.

Sure it will rock either way, but a return to jankyness will probably get a few spergs moaning :|

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Zsinjeh posted:

There's most likely going to be a ton of similar Day Z mods to Arma 3, although I look forward to seeing what they do with the standalone, I saw a bunch of work went into mocapping new animations, so they seem to be tooling around with the engine at the least.

One such mod is already in the works. http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=20823

Also bonus points for a bunch of bitter nerds mad about Zombies ~ruining their game~

nub
Jul 20, 2009

Keep talking.
Which one of you is WeedLordBonerHitler420?

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Also: Does anyone know how to edit the info that shows up in the box on the left at the mission select screen? IE: Min Players, Max Players, Type, etc? I know it all goes in the description.ext but I just don't know the syntax.
class Header
{
gameType = ;
minPlayers = ;
maxPlayers = ;
};

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

VarXX posted:

One such mod is already in the works. http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=20823

Also bonus points for a bunch of bitter nerds mad about Zombies ~ruining their game~

That thread does a fantastic job of clearly communicating what the game is like playing with that mod and how it differs from DayZ.

Actually, it doesn't do any of those things.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ExtraNoise posted:

That thread does a fantastic job of clearly communicating what the game is like playing with that mod and how it differs from DayZ.

Actually, it doesn't do any of those things.

I like that the mod has apparently been in development for "almost a year" and doesn't have;
- Weapons
- Vehicles
- Food
- Anything

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I would assume that those features all work in the ARMA2 version. But yeah at the moment it's quite useless in 3, the zombies are just opfor guys who do nothing but moan.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

VarXX posted:

Don't touch my milsim posted:

Man I hate you. Adding zombie crap on the first day of alpha after all the bullshit with had to endure with dayz? I thought we would finally be released from the dayz kiddies, you are pulling them right back in.

Yessssssssssss :unsmigghh:

buy a hotdog!
Oct 24, 2010

VarXX posted:

An Arma sperg who's still upset about Dayz being popular:

quote:

It is the lack of ethics and moral and the egotistic attitude this younger generation has (not even mentioning the lack of strategy tactical insight) and thats the reason I am not looking forward to a zombie mod on the frikkin first day of the alpha and of my favorite and loved 'military simulator', because as we saw with dayz the youngsters will hop on to the military servers and make arma in a CoD.

Kids these days have no respect for the integrity of the tactical gaming ARMA community! You're not supposed to have fun while playing Arma.

Death by Chickens
Jan 12, 2012

buy a hotdog! posted:

Kids these days have no respect for the integrity of the tactical gaming ARMA community! You're not supposed to have fun while playing Arma.

I have the picture of a 40 year old gamer on his porch, playing Arma 3, surrounded by empty mountain dew cans, and cursing his children (who are playing happily call of duty on their xbox in the living room).

Kromgart
Feb 25, 2010

buy a hotdog! posted:

... You're not supposed to have fun while playing Arma.

But... but... suggesting that you can have fun playing Arma means that ArmA is not an "18+ milisim" "for special people" (like those forum posters with cool military avatars say)! :qq:

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

They're missing the vital point. If it wasn't for DayZ, Arma 3 would follow much the same progress that previous releases did. It made BI a tonne of money, and showed them the importance of paying attention to softer aspects of game play. Decent movement, interface polish, and ease of use.

Most people weren't intimidated by Arma 2; it was just hard work for newcomers. DayZ showed the masses what BI fans already knew; open, free environments give wonderfully immersive game play. The setting and atmosphere made them persist where if it had been a straight milsim they would have given up.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah, if it wasn't for DayZ, ArmA 3 wouldn't be what it is now. Even the biggest sperg should be grateful.

On another note, so I became obsessed with having 40+ FPS at camp Maxwell (The roughest spot afaik on the map. Except for maybe the marina.) so I fiddled with the settings and I must say, many of them are just insane at making GBS threads on your fps for not much reward. Anti-aliasing doesn't do that much difference on 1920x1080 between 2x and 8x. Not even that much of a difference with it off and FXAA or SMXX on. It's a difference of maybe 15 fps with AA on vs off. Another big hitter is terrain quality. Not much difference looking on the ground between standard and ultra. It just adds a little bit more depth. Post-processing effects suck rear end and drain fps. The absolute worst bit about PPE is that they induce a huge mouse lag. On highest I can see the lag between my mouse input and the screen moving even when at 40+ fps.

HDR effects is a slight drain (maybe 3-5 fps or so for me) and personally I don't like how it affects the light. Not worth the smoothing it gives. Other than that, the obvious fps drainer is render distance, and in particular the object render distance. I suggest for the sake of visuals that they are kept at the same value, because otherwise it kinda looks like watching a semi-bald man from the side.

Right now I've got my viewing distance and object distance set to 2.5km, with shadow distance on 200m.
SMAA is on standard (might change to higher since it doesn't affect my FPS)
PPE - Disabled
HDR - Low
Anistropic Filtering - Ultra (Doesn't affect my FPS and does wonders for visuals)
PiP - Low (Don't really need higher than that)
Dynamic Lights - Ultra
Texture Quality - Ultra (Doesn't affect my FPS much between low and ultra but does wonders for visuals.)
Object Quality - Standard (Does affect the detail of the environments quite a lot. Sucks to give it up, but also has a 20fps difference in Agia Marina between Ultra and standard.)
Terrain Quality - Standard (Again, this doesn't do that much of a difference)
Cloud Quality - Ultra (Doesn't affect my FPS)
Shadow Quality - High (Looks much more detailed on High and only decreases my FPS by 2-3.)
Particles Quality - Ultra (Shits on FPS pretty much regardless of setting, mights as well keep it at high.)

I've got a i5 3770k @ 4Ghz, 8GB of 1600Mhz RAM and a HD7950.

These settings mostly intended for TDM and poo poo where I want high FPS. Doesn't poo poo that much on the visuals compared to what I expected. With these I have 60+ in Agia Marina and 50+ at Camp Maxwell (Except for one spot that seems to be a black hole for fps where I got 40+). No AI and in the middle of the day with no overcast.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 10, 2013

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
For everyone wanting to know their stance, there's a mod for it now. Needs CBA to work.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
:siren: In 45 minutes, at 3:00 GMT -6, I will be testing my very first PVP mission. If you are a fan of Operation Staplerfahren, Operation Rainbow Cylon, or Operation Taco Tuesday, this event will be for you. Get in mumble, and be sure to join the in-game server (Name: Goons, Pass: lljk)

8-Bit Dracula
Dec 31, 2007

I CTD (Arma has stopped working pop-up) whenever I try to join a multiplayer map. I've tried joining a Wasteland server and starting a DZSandbox LAN to play by myself. CTD every time, after showing the map and briefing. Single player works however.

Any ideas how to get it working?

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

LP97S posted:

For everyone wanting to know their stance, there's a mod for it now. Needs CBA to work.

You own bones.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

8-Bit Dracula posted:

I CTD (Arma has stopped working pop-up) whenever I try to join a multiplayer map. I've tried joining a Wasteland server and starting a DZSandbox LAN to play by myself. CTD every time, after showing the map and briefing. Single player works however.

Any ideas how to get it working?

Try putting -nobenchmark -winxp in the steam launch options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ran into my first hacker a minute ago. Spawned 20 GMG Hunters on a a hill I was watching and shelled the spawn point.