Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Dont waste time with joke goals. More game instead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
I would like to see a new digital reward tier somewhere between $125 and $350, it seems like a pretty big cap and at least I would consider upping my pledge if there was an under $200 tier with some interesting poo poo. But I'm definitely not gonna go as high as $350, especially considering they only difference between $125 and $350 is that instead of just your name on a tombstone you also get an epitaph, and get to design an item.

Eg. the $165 P:E tier gave you the Wasteland 2 and the first P:E expansion as extra over the $110 digital tier. Maybe you guys could also have a $165(or so) tier that gave P:E and the first Torment expansion(or something concrete like that).

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Thanks for making me realise I pledged to get Wasteland 2 as an addon twice :v:

Dec 26, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

I am not joking when I say that a Monte Cook apology for Toughness ought to be a 2.75m goal or something. It would be not just for kicks, but more importantly to reassure us about his influence on Numanuma game design.

I would legit bump myself up a tier for this.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I wish they would add the high-definition artworks as one of the digital add-ons. You don't get them until the $50 tier but I really don't care much for the rewards past $25 except that one. And I'm not paying 25 extra bucks for it, either.

Same for the t-shirts, I'd like to check out their design before paying for one.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Furism posted:

Same for the t-shirts, I'd like to check out their design before paying for one.

Apparently there are three to choose from, so probably one would be to my taste, but, I agree, I'm loath to throw down money for a t-shirt I've not seen. Same for the posters.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
To further clarify, just in case: the "creature toughness" thing mentioned on that Numenera page is not what anyone is talking about, but rather, the D&D feat "Toughness" designed by Cook. Colin McComb joked about a Toughness apology on Twitter, so they're at least aware of it.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

The Crotch posted:

To further clarify, just in case: the "creature toughness" thing mentioned on that Numenera page is not what anyone is talking about, but rather, the D&D feat "Toughness" designed by Cook. Colin McComb joked about a Toughness apology on Twitter, so they're at least aware of it.

Monte Cook calls it out in a blog entry that was conveniently lost in a site redesign. He mentions deliberately bad choices put into the game. Also note that his usage of 'Timmy,' while inspired by Magic, is incorrect by the MtG team's own articles.

Also, he's a party pooper:

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

How/where do I get stuff like posters and t-shirts anyway? I can't find anything on the KS page.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Scroll down to the Add-ons section. They're there. There's more detail on the tumblr page too. Posters and t-shirts are only available as add-ons to physical tiers though.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Thanks! Somehow I managed to miss that section 3 times. I just sent them a question about how they look, maybe we'll get a look soon.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

parasyte posted:

Monte Cook calls it out in a blog entry that was conveniently lost in a site redesign. He mentions deliberately bad choices put into the game. Also note that his usage of 'Timmy,' while inspired by Magic, is incorrect by the MtG team's own articles.

That article sounds like he knows it isn't the best way to go about designing things; sort of a mea culpa.

It got brought up somewhere that a good old school example of his 'ivory tower' design in a game is the intro stage to Megaman X. To me I would think that means you're given the ability, but left to find the particular way it should be used to suit you. It can be linear or complex, but either way you're left to discover it on your own.

I totally think it can be made to work within a game play setting, but, for instance, it can be a bit much when I'm playing Neverwinter Nights 2 with no background D&D knowledge and ten thousand feats are staring me in the face at level-up.

Or when there are two separate feats for specialization between a mace and a morningstar...really, guys (although I know some people enjoy differentiation of this type)?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 11, 2013

Dec 26, 2012

Drifter posted:

It got brought up somewhere that a good old school example of his 'ivory tower' design in a game is the intro stage to Megaman X. To me I would think that means you're given the ability, but left to find the particular way it should be used to suit you. It can be linear or complex, but either way you're left to discover it on your own.

Except the context of it is promoting a necessary level of system mastery by giving a lot of lovely options so you perform badly if you take them, in a system where that is by-the-book irreversible. Choice doesn't really exist in the same framework in Megaman X so I'm not really sure where you're going with that comparison.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Truth be told I don't have a huge problem with 'toughness' it's not like it's the only crappy skill in 2.5 D&D. Admittedly most of my exposure was through NWN2 but there were tons of things that could screw your character much worse. Also tons of things that would let you horribly break the game over your knee (my personal crazy build).

Though some reassurance that this new game doesn't follow in that kind of philosophy would be nice. One of the problems with a fresh start like this is you can easily make the same mistakes.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Just saw an interesting graph on the comparative gdoc:

Nostalgia seems to be an even stronger force in this campaign. Not only did people spend more on average from the start (except for WL2 on day 1), it's held almost constant over time. That means every new backer spends nearly as much as everyone else, or is outweighed by existing backers upping their pledges. That's impressive to persist nearly a week in.

Fuschia tude fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 11, 2013

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

And this whole discussion just reminds me of why actual role-playing will always beat out systems bullshit because, oh hey, it's all up to your GM/group what to use and what not to.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

SaviourX posted:

And this whole discussion just reminds me of why actual role-playing will always beat out systems bullshit because, oh hey, it's all up to your GM/group what to use and what not to.

I'm not dropping £30 or whatever on this so that I can make up my own game. I can play pretend for free.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fuschia tude posted:

Nostalgia seems to be an even stronger force in this campaign.

Helps that Planescape: Torment has been hailed as the best PC game and/or RPG of all time for nearly 15 years.

Dec 26, 2012

Lt. Danger posted:

I'm not dropping £30 or whatever on this so that I can make up my own game. I can play pretend for free.

Yeah, this is my stance on "but houserules". Anyway this is a bit of a derail, so.

Fuschia tude posted:

Nostalgia seems to be an even stronger force in this campaign. Not only did people spend more on average from the start (except for WL2 on day 1), it's held almost constant over time. That means every new backer spends nearly as much as everyone else, or is outweighed by existing backers upping their pledges. That's impressive to persist nearly a week in.

This is pretty cool to see. It'll be interesting to watch how well things maintain over time and compare the marketing pitches, especially addons and stretch goals.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fuschia tude posted:

It's not really nostalgia if the game was actually good. I don't think anyone has any sort of rose tinted glasses and I think even at the time everyone playing correctly identified that the game was imperfect and the right way to play was cheat.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I also found this one neat:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjRsTwF0aHv6dFVwaTF1WTI5b24tbGxpQUdQNU1TSHc#gid=14

It's not just that people are backing with more money, there's a lot of backers too, more backers than Project Eternity even. It's still a bit surprising to me how people didn't seem to mind that Wasteland 2 isn't out to show what inXile can do.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

fermun posted:

It's not just that people are backing with more money, there's a lot of backers too, more backers than Project Eternity even. It's still a bit surprising to me how people didn't seem to mind that Wasteland 2 isn't out to show what inXile can do.

I'll admit, I've totally bought into both these projects on faith alone. I don't mind doing it this time just because these projects sound so good, especially Torment, but it doesn't change the fact that inXile's output so far has been mediocre at best.

But it's also one of those things where Brian Fargo runs the risk of being villified for the rest of his career if these games end up being disasters.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

fermun posted:

Fargos history combined with that play demo are pretty reassuring.

Dec 26, 2012

fermun posted:

I've bet 20 bones on worse, to be perfectly honest. Even if it doesn't blow my doors off it'll probably be a serviceable RPG.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

01011001 posted:

I've bet 20 bones on worse, to be perfectly honest.
I think this is an important point in most of these ks threads. People burn through more than that drinking bottom-dweller beer at dive bars on off nights. Then they are really concerned about these games not being good enough for their refined standards. :v:

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Hakkesshu posted:

I'll admit, I've totally bought into both these projects on faith alone. I don't mind doing it this time just because these projects sound so good, especially Torment, but it doesn't change the fact that inXile's output so far has been mediocre at best.

But it's also one of those things where Brian Fargo runs the risk of being villified for the rest of his career if these games end up being disasters.

Considering how a lot of games are demoless and sold on marketing and previous game history/fame alone it really isn't that big a stretch that people would kickstarter their money at something they want anyway. Very few people actually get to play a full game before they buy it, unless you pirate it of course.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 11, 2013

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

01011001 posted:

I've bet 20 bones on worse, to be perfectly honest. Even if it doesn't blow my doors off it'll probably be a serviceable RPG.
Personally I can't wait for Wasteland 2 to come out. Even if it's the greatest game ever made there'll be internet spergs will scream at every little thing that has been changed. Someone has finally gone back and revisited a type of game that has been nearly dead for years but instead of being happy they'll gnash their teeth and tear their garments that it's not some type of wayback machine that instantly makes them feel 13 years old again playing this genre for the first time.

I know when I play these games they won't be as fun as I remember them. I can accept that due to changes in my life and changes with how I perceive games in general will never recapture that magic. But I think they'll be fun enough for $20. I think I'll get at least twice that if there's some serious meltdowns on NMA or some other crazy echobox forums.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Welp, feels like we've reached the midway slump. Went up about $100,000 only in 24 hours. Still I suppose this is not too bad, at that rate we'll get to $3,000,000 before the final week (really 3.1M thanks to the 10% match-up) and then we'll be able to have one last push with the new stretch goals.

4.5M, we're gonna get there :colbert:

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Probably helps that there isn't really that much competition from "Real" studios in the RPG department lately. It's all sequels, too.

I know Dragon Age3 is coming, but DA2 was not well received, Mass Effect just got done. As far as I know, there's no Fallout coming soon. Skyrim was just released, maybe an expansion in the next year. What else is there to look forward to? The Witcher 3? Is that popular?

Original IP RPGs are very rare these days. I think Torment is arriving at absolutely the right time.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Twee as gently caress posted:

Welp, feels like we've reached the midway slump. Went up about $100,000 only in 24 hours. Still I suppose this is not too bad, at that rate we'll get to $3,000,000 before the final week (really 3.1M thanks to the 10% match-up) and then we'll be able to have one last push with the new stretch goals.

4.5M, we're gonna get there :colbert:

From the comparison Google Doc again:

The last entry on TToN is today so will change, but yeah, I think we've hit a 2 week slump in daily funding on its way before the final week madness. Hopefully they do a lot of information posts in the meantime.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Mex posted:

The Witcher 3? Is that popular?
The Witcher series has pretty much become the favoured underdog. Not only is it a rock solid series they've shown a real love of the fans and desire to change their games post release in response to criticism. I wonder how long before they become the next Bioware.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The Witcher 3 is setting itself up to be the next TES with good combat, so if that goes well....

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

quote:

Witcher 3
Oh, good, I get to make all the "witcherer", "witchest", "witch hard with a vengeance", etc jokes all over again.

Dec 26, 2012

LogicNinja posted:

Oh, good, I get to make all the "witcherer", "witchest", "witch hard with a vengeance", etc jokes all over again.

It's going to be open-world apparently, so I'd go for Live Free or Witch Hard myself.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Hakkesshu posted:

Brian Fargo strikes me as a guy who really wants to get back to relevance in the games industry. It's only been a little more than a decade ago that he led a major publisher with 500+ employees that was releasing some of the most talked about PC games of their time [some are even the most talked about TODAY]. Wasteland 2 and Torment being successes would give him a real shot at returning to, if not a top-tier publisher, at least a self-funded outfit that's able to make what it wants on its own terms. Wasteland 2 and Torment failing, however, would probably erase any possibility of that ever happening and see the end of inXile, especially with how vociferously he's cut ties with traditional publishers.

What it all boils down to is this: it's in Fargo's best interests to do everything within his power to ensure that Wasteland 2 and Torment meet and exceed the expectations of [most] of his fans. Now, knowing that and actually achieving it are two different things, of course, but I would be incredibly surprised if I failed to get more than $45 worth of entertainment out of these two games.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Great Rumbler posted:

Wasteland 2 and Torment failing, however, would probably erase any possibility of that ever happening and see the end of inXile, especially with how vociferously he's cut ties with traditional publishers.

Bad games don't end careers; they extend them. A developer credited with a bad game is far more likely to find work than a developer just entering the industry with a blank credit sheet. Some even wind up doing things like cocreating the Xbox. And a minute percentage of consumers — 2%, in fact — factor who makes games into their purchase decisions, so there's really no risk of reputational harm here. Everyone has to work on something that doesn't meet expectations at least once in their career. I'd also bet that publishers have been beating at Fargo's door since he founded inXile. He's a MVP. Publishers really don't care what you say about them as long as they stand to gain from a relationship with you.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Great Rumbler posted:

Wasteland 2 and Torment being successes would give him a real shot at returning to, if not a top-tier publisher, at least a self-funded outfit that's able to make what it wants on its own terms.
Self-funded yeah. Top-tier, well, I don't wanna talk for the boss-man but I think he's done with the stressful business of publishing games, and just wants to make the game he wants to make.

Great Rumbler posted:

What it all boils down to is this: it's in Fargo's best interests to do everything within his power to ensure that Wasteland 2 and Torment meet and exceed the expectations of [most] of his fans.
Of course!

Adraeus posted:

I'd also bet that publishers have been beating at Fargo's door since he founded inXile. He's a MVP. Publishers really don't care what you say about them as long as they stand to gain from a relationship with you.
None of this is really accurate, I'm afraid.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Brother None posted:

None of this is really accurate, I'm afraid.

He's not a MVP? Don't tell your boss that. ;)

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Adraeus posted:

And a minute percentage of consumers — 2%, in fact — factor who makes games into their purchase decisions, so there's really no risk of reputational harm here.

On the other hand, Daikatana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

GetWellGamers posted:

On the other hand, Daikatana.

Even if inXile sets the money they receive on fire and literally never takes a single step towards making a game, it will at least be better than Daikatana.

• Locked thread