Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Landstander posted:

No doubt part of the logic was the (reasonable) expectation that the Republicans would overplay their hand if/when they viciously attacked her; it also seemed like the Democrats were/are becoming a bit more aggressive on a handful of issues (mostly social ones), so she could play into that strategy. And The Daily Caller nudity thing was the level of respectability in journalism that I've come to expect from Mr. Carlson.

Still, I can't shake the feeling "Hollywood Actress Liberal Ashley Judd" will have some power with that electorate, and given that Mitch McConnell is a pug who no one in the state (nor his own party) actually likes, it would be a shame to do that campaign when they might have some more traditional, more formidable candidates in a race that doesn't strike me as a lost cause.

Perhaps I'm wrong.

This would work better if George Clooney was running instead of Ashley Judd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
Not sure if this is derserving of its own thread, but this should be interesting

http://www.intrade.com/v4/home/

quote:

To Our Customers:

With sincere regret we must inform you that due to circumstances recently discovered we must immediately cease trading activity on https://www.intrade.com.

These circumstances require immediate further investigation, and may include financial irregularities which in accordance with Irish law oblige the directors to take the following actions:

Cease exchange trading on the website immediately.
Settle all open positions and calculate the settled account value of all Member accounts immediately.
Cease all banking transactions for all existing Company accounts immediately.

During the upcoming weeks, we will investigate these circumstances further and determine the necessary course of action.

To mitigate any further risk to members’ accounts, we have closed and settled all open contracts at fair market value as of the close of business on March 10, 2013, in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of our customers’ use of the website. You may view your account details and settled account balances by logging into the website.

At this time and until further notice, it is not possible to make any payments to members in accordance with their settled account balance until the investigations have concluded.

The Company will continue the maintenance and technology operations of the exchange system so that all information is preserved properly.

We are not able to provide telephone support or live help services at this time, please contact the company by email at: accountservices@intrade.com

We appreciate your custom and support over the years. We are committed to reporting faithfully the status of things as they are clarified and hope you will bear with us as we do all we can to resume operations as promptly as possible.

Sincerely,

The Board of Directors of Intrade the Prediction Market Limited

ufarn
May 30, 2009
If Judd wins, I promise to buy Joementum a new avatar entitled "Juddmentum!"

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
That is interesting about InTrade. What, they finally figured out that someone was messing with them?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

mcmagic posted:

How is Paul's popularity? I know republican voters hate government but you never know what their tollarance will be for a guy who will never get any legislation passed or bring home any pork.
Pretty fair. He's racist AND pro-life and he has cross-party appeal thanks to his weed and hemp stances. The fact that Mitch McConnell has been buddying up to him for a while should tell you something.

There's a strong anti-incumbent sentiment that helped get Rand Paul elected and never really went away in this state. Both my Democrat mother and Republican father want Mitch McConnell out, if that tells you anything.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Pretty fair. He's racist AND pro-life and he has cross-party appeal thanks to his weed and hemp stances. The fact that Mitch McConnell has been buddying up to him for a while should tell you something.

There's a strong anti-incumbent sentiment that helped get Rand Paul elected and never really went away in this state. Both my Democrat mother and Republican father want Mitch McConnell out, if that tells you anything.

It used to be you had to be racist, pro life AND actually do something to make your voters' lives better. Now you can just obstruct, not participate in government and be a GOP hero.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

mcmagic posted:

It used to be you had to be racist, pro life AND actually do something to make your voters' lives better. Now you can just obstruct, not participate in government and be a GOP hero.

For at least the next little while, yeah. Eventually, Rand will have to either start handing out pork or pack his bags.

I will say this; Ashley Judd's celebrity and inexperience are not nearly as large a liability as her stance on Coal. Maybe if she took some pictures in front of the Wildcat Coal lodge (gently caress you, Lee Todd Jr).

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 11, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What is the university supposed to do when someone brings a big bag of money and just wants you put a silly word in something's name? You can't just decline money!

Incidentally I work near Todd's new office and have never seen him. Must be a nice gig.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
I'm catching poo poo for mentioning this on Facebook and local blogs, but looking at Virginia, we could be seeing a ticket that consists of a godawful Political Hack that paid people to stay out of the race the past 4 years, a career bureaucrat for Lt. Gov. (went from Harvard School of Gov to a policy job in DC to an appointed position in Richmond to the Obama campaign to an appointed position in DC), and an attorney for Attorney General (which is fine, but that's the bottom of the ticket).

A lot of young politicos in the DC area like this LG candidate because he is young and hip and will totally show up at your Cap Hill Happy Hour Against the GOP, but I don't see how someone with his background is nearly as appealing as his opponent: a veteran-turned-freaking children's physician-turned State Senator who still practices.

There's also a good chance now that Bill Bolling jumps in, and while everyone claims he'd only steal from Cuccinelli, I'm thinking there are a lot of moderate suburbanites who are put off by Mr. Glad Hand and would vote for anyone that's neither Cooch nor him. It helps that Bolling is being painstakingly centrist recently despite a conservative voting record while in the general assembly.

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 12, 2013

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Warcabbit posted:

That is interesting about InTrade. What, they finally figured out that someone was messing with them?

I knew Adar had an angle!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I knew Adar had an angle!

Watch it turn out some money>brains yokel in the US was betting up Romney (still illegal if I recall, but nobody was ever stopped by needing a proxy/VPN) and sued because they believed it was a conspiracy.

I couldn't imagine it was just the 'betting on elections' thing because other bookies do it without issue.

Comedy option: Thad McCotter betting thousands against himself (incumbency yo) and then turning in all those forged signatures for his candidacy petition and dropping out.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

The Entire Universe posted:

Watch it turn out some money>brains yokel in the US was betting up Romney (still illegal if I recall, but nobody was ever stopped by needing a proxy/VPN) and sued because they believed it was a conspiracy.

I couldn't imagine it was just the 'betting on elections' thing because other bookies do it without issue.

Comedy option: Thad McCotter betting thousands against himself (incumbency yo) and then turning in all those forged signatures for his candidacy petition and dropping out.

Word on the street is the founder made some "irregular" payments to himself the past few years and now there is missing money. YMMV, its not confirmed yet.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Things are getting mighty gay down in South Carolina where a director of GOPround, Bruce Carroll aka @GayPatriot, has resigned to explore a run against Lindsey Graham.

Meanwhile the owner of Faith in the Sound News, Nancy Mace, which takes its name from a George Michael song (no, really), is also thinking about challenging Graham.

This comes at an uncomfortable time for Mace, whose publication spent last week begging someone else to run. It seems that the favorite of FITSNews for a run against Graham is Tom Davis. Davis endorsed Ron Paul in 2008, which makes the FITSers all swoony, but now he won't say nice things about Rand on record and is saying he's not going to run for higher office in 2014.

So Graham's challengers to date are GOProud and the Paulites.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Joementum posted:

Things are getting mighty gay down in South Carolina where a director of GOPround, Bruce Carroll aka @GayPatriot, has resigned to explore a run against Lindsey Graham.

Is "gay Republican" going to get votes in the triple digits? That seems almost pointless in the South.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

prefect posted:

Is "gay Republican" going to get votes in the triple digits? That seems almost pointless in the South.

Well Graham managed to get himself elected.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SilentD posted:

Well Graham managed to get himself elected.

Yeah, from what I remember of this guy's schtick, it's basically "no closeted Republicans in Congress."

See, e.g., :http://www.fitsnews.com/2013/03/11/the-ambiguously-gay-primary/

Note the comments. It's "I'm not a bigot, but" gay-bashing from the right.

Swonga
Aug 7, 2005
Mitch McConnell is taking a cue from the Tom Daschle playbook and is putting up ads some twenty months before polls open.

And yet Kentucky's best hope remains a woman who had no problem comparing George Bush's African contraception policy to the holocaust. For more 'soon-to-be-in-newspapers' opposition research on Ashley Judd, take at look at her essay on Social Justice. I can't wait until we find out what her economic views are! Remember, defensive Judd fans, the golden rule of challenging a weak incumbent is to keep the focus on the incumbent, not the challenger. You think a Judd candidacy will do that?

Again this reminds me of 2010. Reid sucked the fund raising spigot dry for lots of Dem candidates, specifically through exercising a sort of Majority Leader's privilege when it came to using the DSCC to fund a lot of his ground game and paid media. Hopefully this is a sign that McConnell will play the same role in diverting NRSC money that would otherwise go to GOP challengers.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
MIRS, Michigan's Capitol News leader, is reporting that Scott Romney will not run for Senate.

Quick, someone call Tagg and Ann! There's still time to establish residency.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

MIRS, Michigan's Capitol News leader, is reporting that Scott Romney will not run for Senate.

How could you forget the most charismatic and patriotic member of the Romney clan?

:horse: Rafalca :horse:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

For at least the next little while, yeah. Eventually, Rand will have to either start handing out pork or pack his bags.

I will say this; Ashley Judd's celebrity and inexperience are not nearly as large a liability as her stance on Coal. Maybe if she took some pictures in front of the Wildcat Coal lodge (gently caress you, Lee Todd Jr).

She can sit on the chair next to Rupp!

But, yeah, Judd's a no-hoper. Grimes has a much better chance of winning since she's got fat stacks from her connection to the coal industry. There's not much of a party to build here, sadly - give it another 10 years for Lexington to finally grow (man, I think I said this 10 years ago and look where we are...) and we might see some shifts as the balance of power continues to tilt away from the rural areas.

Almost sad that I'll be moving away before the race, actually. It'll be an amazing shitshow regardless.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Do like Caligula. It's not like it's beneath the GOP.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

A Winner is Jew posted:

How could you forget the most charismatic and patriotic member of the Romney clan?

:horse: Rafalca :horse:

I would actually vote for the loving horse. If any Romney is smart they will steer clear of Michigan. I've even seen Dick DeVos thinking about running for Levin's seat. That means he would have to stop writing checks to politicians so they vote the way he wants. Not like he'll win anyway. He's loathed as much as Snyder now.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
He has a little ear hat? :3:

Run him. He wouldn't be first horse to serve in the Senate.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Swonga posted:

Mitch McConnell is taking a cue from the Tom Daschle playbook and is putting up ads some twenty months before polls open.

And yet Kentucky's best hope remains a woman who had no problem comparing George Bush's African contraception policy to the holocaust. For more 'soon-to-be-in-newspapers' opposition research on Ashley Judd, take at look at her essay on Social Justice. I can't wait until we find out what her economic views are! Remember, defensive Judd fans, the golden rule of challenging a weak incumbent is to keep the focus on the incumbent, not the challenger. You think a Judd candidacy will do that?

Again this reminds me of 2010. Reid sucked the fund raising spigot dry for lots of Dem candidates, specifically through exercising a sort of Majority Leader's privilege when it came to using the DSCC to fund a lot of his ground game and paid media. Hopefully this is a sign that McConnell will play the same role in diverting NRSC money that would otherwise go to GOP challengers.

Nobody cares, go cats.

(its our only hope :/)

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Swonga posted:

I worry that McConnell is taking a page from Claire McCaskill's playbook and is / will try to choose his opponent by running ads against Judd in the primary.

(Caveat I've never stepped foot in KY and know nothing of the state's politics)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I'm personally still hoping for the inevitable Tea Party primary to unseat McConnell because holy poo poo that'd make '14 absolutely hilarious.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SedanChair posted:

He has a little ear hat? :3:

It's to mute noises and calm him down. I presume because of thunderous cheers when he goes into his breakdancing pop-and-lock routine.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Family Values posted:

I worry that McConnell is taking a page from Claire McCaskill's playbook and is / will try to choose his opponent by running ads against Judd in the primary.

(Caveat I've never stepped foot in KY and know nothing of the state's politics)

Judd's really far left for us, but she's popular and she loves UK basketball on a level that is hard to describe. That stuff's important here.

As for Mitch, Kentucky's been very anti-incumbent lately, and people really hate Mitch. Just hate the man.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Judd's really far left for us, but she's popular and she loves UK basketball on a level that is hard to describe. That stuff's important here.

As for Mitch, Kentucky's been very anti-incumbent lately, and people really hate Mitch. Just hate the man.

People have generically hated Mitch for a long, long time though. End of the day, they vote their wallet, and he pulls a lot of money to the state. Obama is also completely toxic here, outside of Lexington/Louisville, because of the perceived 'war on coal'.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

serewit posted:

People have generically hated Mitch for a long, long time though. End of the day, they vote their wallet, and he pulls a lot of money to the state. Obama is also completely toxic here, outside of Lexington/Louisville, because of the perceived 'war on coal'.

The number one thing Judd would have to do to get elected would be to turn on coal, I agree. And yeah, Mitch does bring money to the state, but hasn't that slowed down since '08?

McConnell is one of those cases where I've not once in my life met someone who liked the man. I've met people who agree with his politics, but everyone hates Mitch.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

serewit posted:

I'm personally still hoping for the inevitable Tea Party primary to unseat McConnell because holy poo poo that'd make '14 absolutely hilarious.

What problem does the Tea Prty have with him? Since the Republicans don't have control of the Senate, there's no chance for divisions on how to try to gently caress over Democrats.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Family Values posted:

Before you ascribe crafty strategies to the McConnell campaign it's important to remember that he hired Ron Paul's grandson-in-law as his campaign manager. The guy's previous campaign experience is running the Ron Paul 2008 and 2012 campaigns.

Dr Christmas posted:

What problem does the Tea Prty have with him? Since the Republicans don't have control of the Senate, there's no chance for divisions on how to try to gently caress over Democrats.

They shouldn't have any problems, because McConnell has been the most effective partisan legislator of the last three years by far, but they're the Tea Party and they are stupid, so they want someone in there who'll spend all day on Fox News talking about getting rid of the Department of Energy.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Joementum posted:

Before you ascribe crafty strategies to the McConnell campaign it's important to remember that he hired Ron Paul's grandson-in-law as his campaign manager. The guy's previous campaign experience is running the Ron Paul 2008 and 2012 campaigns.

They shouldn't have any problems, because McConnell has been the most effective partisan legislator of the last three years by far, but they're the Tea Party and they are stupid, so they want someone in there who'll spend all day on Fox News talking about getting rid of the Department of Energy.

gently caress Jesse Benton, that man is a loving stain on the tighty whities of humanity.

That being said, you're pretty much right about the Tea Party 'complaints'. KY Tea Partiers are rabidly anti-Obama and hate McConnell for any legislation that has managed to eke through the Senate that even smells of compromising with the great enemy. That being said, McConnell's smart enough to try and run towards them and I think a big reason he supported Rand's filibuster was to polish up his credentials. If nothing else, the fact that I haven't heard of any credible primary challengers seems to indicate that the plan is working to a degree.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I was being serious too about McConnell being the most effective legislator of the last several years, judged solely on how well they've advanced their party's goals. He's a minority leader, so he working from a disadvantage, but managed to block everything his party opposes, often whipping exactly the correct number of votes so that Scott Brown and Olympia Snowe were allowed to defect and stay safe. You can see this with the stimulus, which didn't get a single Republican vote, to Obamacare, to blocking the DREAM act, to ridiculous stuff like blocking the UN disabilities treaty with Bob Dole not-standing on the Senate floor and the Hagel filibuster. He was even able to completely cut the majority leader out of the fiscal cliff negotiations.

If Republican voters want someone in the Senate who'll stand up for Republicans they really can't do any better than Mitch McConnell.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

If Republican voters want someone in the Senate who'll stand up for Republicans they really can't do any better than Mitch McConnell.

But, as you said, if the Rand Paul supporters believe hes a RINO...

Swonga
Aug 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Jesse Benton also ran Rand Paul's 2010 campaign, so he has some Kentucky experience. Though I think Rand managed lower than average turnout for his election, but I'd need to double check on that.

McConnell really has been the perfect legislative break on Obama - he should run ads of administration figures hating on him. When it comes down to it, 2014 will still be about Obama in KY and not earmarks. Judd is perfect because she's a die hard Obama surrogate in a state that could not like the man less. Grimes is so young but maybe she could pull a Manchin and at least set herself up for the lead in the 2015 Governors race.

Maybe the tea party will scrounge up someone McConnell hasn't bought off for the primary. That's where the action is.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about Steve King. He's essentially got the nomination wrapped up.

This is really happening, isn't it?

http://www.steveking2014.com/

Oh dear...

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

De Nomolos posted:

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about Steve King. He's essentially got the nomination wrapped up.

Oh dear...

What happened to Rove's SuperPAC that was going to run candidates against unelectable Tea Party crazies in the primary?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

De Nomolos posted:

Oh dear...

Since Bruce Braley's got a clear path to the Democratic nomination, does he beat King in a general? Please say yes. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

What happened to Rove's SuperPAC that was going to run candidates against unelectable Tea Party crazies in the primary?

Well, Latham, the challenger Rove et al wanted, isn't running.

No other candidate has the base of support King does.

• Locked thread