Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

BitterAvatar posted:

Alright that makes me feel better. I have one character in the 50's and two low 40's and I have yet to see a single unique. I can't imagine how many hours people are putting in to be able to have 10+ uniques to sell on the forums. Madness.

I went until last week without ever seeing a unique. I've seen 3 in the past week (all low level, all low rolls).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

BitterAvatar posted:

Alright that makes me feel better. I have one character in the 50's and two low 40's and I have yet to see a single unique. I can't imagine how many hours people are putting in to be able to have 10+ uniques to sell on the forums. Madness.

They might not be putting that many hours into the game, just multiboxing. It's why the Chaos orb recipe got changed recently.

http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/19bjtj/farming_guide_vaal_2030_chaoshour/

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
I want to make a 2H character. Is Duelist actually pretty good for this sort of thing now? I was going to go Templar, but I wouldn't mind making a Duelist and getting a Cyclone gem to boot.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Templar, Duelist and Marauder all get cyclone at the same point in the game.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
^^ Got a level 45 duelist, used the recent duelist talent re-spec to try making him two-handed. Turns out he's not that great. Chops stuff up fine, but dies to a swift breeze with no range and limited defense. The closest I've brought him to being effective was by stacking up four frenzy charges with a big axe, turning on blood rage, and then using flicker strike to warp->1hit->get a new fcharge on kill->repeat on a room of regular baddies, but that's a delicate and fragile dance. He needs some defensive options that I just don't see available.

whypick1 posted:

Temporal Chains 9%

I don't have a very good handle on the economy here, but I think that is insanely rare and valuable. Temporal Chains is already a drop-only uncommon.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 13, 2013

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
If you use a Regal Orb on a magic item to upgrade it to rare, do the properties already on the item remain? I have a magic +2 minion helm I want to make better, but I don't want to make it rare only to have it lose that important part of it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

BitterAvatar posted:

If you use a Regal Orb on a magic item to upgrade it to rare, do the properties already on the item remain? I have a magic +2 minion helm I want to make better, but I don't want to make it rare only to have it lose that important part of it.

Yes, that's mostly the point of Regals. You take a magic item with really good stats, then a Regal makes it rare and gives it a third property. Then you can add up to 3 exalted orbs to it and get your max properties.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

BitterAvatar posted:

Yes, but you'll only get 1 more modifier (prefix/suffix), it won't push it up to the max of 6 for a rare item. You need to use Exalted Orbs to do that.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Managed to 5L a 6S ES Armor after only 4 fusings..rolled an alch on it and didn't get desirable stats (lots of mana and some resists, but no life).

The item is itemlevel 60. How much currency is worth dumping into this, if any, to get desired stats? I'm an EB caster so I'm after +ES/ES%, Life, Resists..anything else is bonus (mana/stats/etc).

Rarity: Rare
Sol Shell
Necromancer Silks
--------
Energy Shield: 203 (augmented)
--------
Requirements:
Level: 59 (unmet)
Int: 160
--------
Sockets: B-R-G-B-B B
--------
Itemlevel: 60
--------
+9 to Intelligence
+42 to maximum Mana
62% increased Energy Shield
+7% to Fire Resistance
+39% to Lightning Resistance

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Obscurity posted:

Managed to 5L a 6S ES Armor after only 4 fusings..rolled an alch on it and didn't get desirable stats (lots of mana and some resists, but no life).

The item is itemlevel 60. How much currency is worth dumping into this, if any, to get desired stats? I'm an EB caster so I'm after +ES/ES%, Life, Resists..anything else is bonus (mana/stats/etc).

I tossed 9 chaos orbs at an ilevel 64 5L piece that I acquired and I regret nothing. I still don't have ideal stats for it, but it's good enough.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Vasudus posted:

I tossed 9 chaos orbs at an ilevel 64 5L piece that I acquired and I regret nothing. I still don't have ideal stats for it, but it's good enough.

Sounds like a plan. 1 chaos down..stats are worse. This should be a fun ride :X

Edit:

Exalt or Chaos this?

Victory Jack
Necromancer Silks
--------
Energy Shield: 245 (augmented)
--------
Requirements:
--------
--------
--------
+17 to Intelligence
+55 to maximum Life
96% increased Energy Shield
+41% to Cold Resistance

Zaekkor fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 13, 2013

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Hmm, I have a 17% Temporal Chains in my stash, wonder what I could get for that.

Gerdalti fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 13, 2013

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Haven't played the game in awhile but apparently someone from China tried to log into my account. Thanks for looking out GGG...

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Sosiz posted:

Yay, got my first unique :unsmith:

That was my first unique as well. I am using this build for it.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/182886

I made one of the other suggested uniques with chaos orbs, I've been trying to roll the other pieces of gear needed. This is probably a waste of currency.

You can dual wield them as well for 200% damage when at less than 35% health.

I have not traded for any gear yet, but I would be interested in the Wondertrap and Hrimsorrow uniques. I've only played with my brother and dad, and one goon who was trying to kill himself in a low level area for some reason.

Anyone feel free to add Scratchula if you wish. I've become addicted.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Obscurity posted:

Sounds like a plan. 1 chaos down..stats are worse. This should be a fun ride :X

Edit:

Exalt or Chaos this?

Victory Jack
Necromancer Silks
--------
Energy Shield: 245 (augmented)
--------
Requirements:
--------
--------
--------
+17 to Intelligence
+55 to maximum Life
96% increased Energy Shield
+41% to Cold Resistance

Keep that as is, don't exalt it. Wear it like that your not going to get better unless you blow 20 chaos on it.

edit: if you are serious about rerollong it a lot you probably want to scour then alch it instead, since you can potentially roll all 6 or whatever affixes with an alch and you only get 4 with a chaos.

Washout fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 14, 2013

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

So is the next upgrade to this a 5L/6L itemlevel 70+?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Washout posted:

edit: if you are serious about rerollong it a lot you probably want to scour then alch it instead, since you can potentially roll all 6 or whatever affixes with an alch and you only get 4 with a chaos.

Uh you can roll anywhere from 4-6 with a Chaos. It's just like an Alch except you don't have to scour first.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I have more chaos than alchs since I tend to alch wands, vaal regalia and other poo poo in vain hope it will produce something nice.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Obscurity posted:

So is the next upgrade to this a 5L/6L itemlevel 70+?

Well just see if the ilevel is high enough for the affixes you want. If this one is high enough ilevel for your taste and you are rolling it as endgame gear, then yeah, keep rolling it until it's good. Although you might be able to sell it as is and make a profit after buying another white 5L to start over with.

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Can somebody give me advice on my build? I can kill stuff decently enough but I'm only at 1800 HP and die fast.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...075M_lW_MX-j_7I

I have 15 respec points to work with. My current thinking is to respec out of Piercing shots at the very right and take those 5 points and put them into the 30 strength node and the 3 health nodes by Vaal Pact. Beyond that, I have no idea what else I should do to fix this build.

I'm currently killing stuff with lightning arrow linked to GMP so I'm considering maybe trying for the 3 elemental damage nodes above Vaal Pact node.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

College Rockout posted:

Can somebody give me advice on my build? I can kill stuff decently enough but I'm only at 1800 HP and die fast.

I'm currently killing stuff with lightning arrow linked to GMP so I'm considering maybe trying for the 3 elemental damage nodes above Vaal Pact node.

Unless you have one and you're just not mentioning it, getting a Life on Hit support gem linked up with your LA/GMP should be your first priority.

Also I'm not sure how far into your build you are, but I wouldn't take Iron Grip. It's not must-have and there's nothing more around there you want (other than life which you can get more life more conveniently). Also most bow builds take Resolute Technique, which is an excellent alternative to your Iron Grip investment. That means you can drop the minor crit stuff you have and put it into survivability.

Here are some really good survivability options close to your path: the 8/8/12 %life right after Golem's Blood, the 12/12 a few nodes away from Blood Magic, the 10/10/30 armor near Unwavering Stance.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

It looks like you misspent like 40 points. Normally you go down via evasion and not up through bow damage. then after getting blood magic you go for the life in the marauder tree, before moving up to the Templar tree for the elemental damage and life there as well. Then post 70 you go after iron grip.

This would be a slight fix:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...07wH_kz_MX-j_7I

You don't want physical damage bonus nodes with LA, you only want elemental. To take things even further this is what you should have done.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...B_yL_Pd9kj60vzF

I took you 9 points beyond where you are now, and respecced around 50 points. You may want to think about just starting over if you are having a really tough time. you can just re-use your gear and gems as you meet the new requirements. It would be really fast to get back to your current level when you can just buy some twink gear. (or use what you already accumilated)

You could even restart as a bow marauder if you wanted to gently caress around.

Washout fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 14, 2013

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
With each race (and some new characters) I see how manageable it can be (with the right build, party, and drops) to get to Cruel in 3 hours. Mind you I haven't cracked the third act on any race, but I've gotten fairly close. If the rewards were a bit more lucrative I could probably talk myself into investing the time. :smithicide:

To think my first character took at least five hours to the second act, probably six... sheesh, good times.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

Washout posted:

To take things even further this is what you should have done.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...B_yL_Pd9kj60vzF

That build is decent, but there is some inefficient pathing on the way to the templar area.

Here is a pretty cookie cutter LA ranger build. There are some minor variations to this that you can probably find on the official forum, but it should serve as a good template.

Slum Loser posted:

With each race (and some new characters) I see how manageable it can be (with the right build, party, and drops) to get to Cruel in 3 hours. Mind you I haven't cracked the third act on any race, but I've gotten fairly close. If the rewards were a bit more lucrative I could probably talk myself into investing the time. :smithicide:

To think my first character took at least five hours to the second act, probably six... sheesh, good times.

Progression is my main weakness in races. I still haven't practiced much in getting to act 3, but I did manage to hit #2 witch in todays three hour solo by grinding like mad in Western Forest.

Edit: Fixed build link to correct one.

Vizrt fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 14, 2013

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Vizrt posted:

Here is a pretty cookie cutter LA ranger build. There are some minor variations to this that you can probably find on the official forum, but it should serve as a good template.

Unwavering Stance really isn't worth 2 extra points on a ranged character with a good HP pool that will have a ton of armor. You also do some bad pathing around Resolute Technique that would require you to spec out of a ton of points if you were to ever get a Lioneye's.

You also neglect to get int nodes which are needed to run Wrath and are only a couple points away and can be easily specced out of when/if you get enough on gear to not need them. There's also a LOT of life, when the build doesn't really need that much. You can save a few points on life and along with the other saved points, get all the int nodes and go up to Iron Grip and get the more efficient set of life nodes and a decent end-game damage boost, as well as the really good projectile nodes at the start of the ranger area.

I mean, it's pretty much nugi's old build. You sacrifice a small amount of life for good damage boosts late-game. You can also just get the 8% life nodes this build leaves out until you have the life on gear to feel comfortable. In the end you should have around 5k health and a ton of armor. This is compared to about 5.5k with the other build.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
It's also a bit stupid to leave out the great projectile damage cluster near the ranger start. A node that's +X projectile damage is basically equal to a +X physical node AND a +X elemental weapon damage node.

e: And if you're not grabbing that why not just start duelist.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Is there a cap on crit chance? I feel like the 25/25/75% increased Weapon Crit Chance nodes in Duelist are insanely powerful. Wouldn't that effectively be a multiplicative crit bonus, multiplying your base crit chance by 2.25?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The Royal Scrub posted:

Is there a cap on crit chance? I feel like the 25/25/75% increased Weapon Crit Chance nodes in Duelist are insanely powerful. Wouldn't that effectively be a multiplicative crit bonus, multiplying your base crit chance by 2.25?

Yeah but it would only put it at like 14% or so.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

The Royal Scrub posted:

There's technically no cap but there's a limit on the amount of crit you can get through the passive tree and gear. There used to be flasks that increased your crit chance but they were insanely broken and are being reworked.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

The Royal Scrub posted:

Final max crit after multipliers can be 95%.

http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Critical_Strike

A working example?

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/172438

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Thanks that's really cool. Unbelievable how he's only at 2.9k dps with 95% chance a 333% multiplier.

Anyways, they still seem ridiculous to me. For any weapon based skill, multiplying your weapon crit chance by 2.25 will have your overall chance sitting at that 2.25x too. I wish they weren't for dual-wield only.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Unwavering Stance really isn't worth 2 extra points on a ranged character with a good HP pool that will have a ton of armor. You also do some bad pathing around Resolute Technique that would require you to spec out of a ton of points if you were to ever get a Lioneye's.

You also neglect to get int nodes which are needed to run Wrath and are only a couple points away and can be easily specced out of when/if you get enough on gear to not need them. There's also a LOT of life, when the build doesn't really need that much. You can save a few points on life and along with the other saved points, get all the int nodes and go up to Iron Grip and get the more efficient set of life nodes and a decent end-game damage boost, as well as the really good projectile nodes at the start of the ranger area.

I mean, it's pretty much nugi's old build. You sacrifice a small amount of life for good damage boosts late-game. You can also just get the 8% life nodes this build leaves out until you have the life on gear to feel comfortable. In the end you should have around 5k health and a ton of armor. This is compared to about 5.5k with the other build.

Ya, it was a bit late when I routed the build, but it was just meant as a quick template to show a build to work off of. The Nugi build linked is pretty solid.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Started working on a LS/GS templar last night, only thing I don't like is how much tougher it is to find attack speed. Almost thinking going shadow to start with. Just really hard to ignore all those +elemental nodes so close to the start of templar...

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm finding myself kinda bewildered by all the armor choices available in this game.

If I've got a Ranger with Iron Reflexes, then a piece with 300 Evasion, a piece with 300 armor, and a piece with 150/150 evasion/armor are all functionally the same, correct? At least until I add in passive nodes like 10% increased evasion rating, at which point the evasion armors start to look a little better, right?

If I take a 10% armor node does that 10% apply to evasion that's been converted to armor? Does my 150/150 example end up becoming 330 armor after the 10%, or 315 (I'm assuming the latter)?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

With Iron Reflexes, pure evasion gear is the best, because your evasion is multiplied by %evasion nodes, and then multiplied again by %armor nodes after being converted. The exception to this is hybrid nodes which give both %evasion and %armor bonuses, which only applies once to each base type of defense (once to evasion and once to armor). The base values for evasion gear is also higher than armour, and they can roll the same modifiers on all the same gear. Generally you want to pick the type of gear depending on the colors of the sockets you need. The beauty of IR is that you're extremely flexible when it comes to gear, even being able to run a pure ES piece if you need a lot of blue sockets without giving up much.

The exact formula is:

code:
Base Evasion * ( 1 + % increased evasion + % increased armor + % increased armor & evasion )
+ Base Armor * ( 1 + % increased armor + % increased armor & evasion ) = Total Armor
edit: Also I guess hybrid gear can be better if you're getting more %armor than %evasion, since the %armor will apply to both and the %evasion only applies to one. It depends on how much %evasion and how much %armor you have, and also your total base armor and evasion through gear.

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 14, 2013

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Thank you, that is a tremendously helpful post. Gives me a much clearer idea of what to do with myself.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Evasion gear will pretty much always give more armor with IR since everyone gets dex for support gems and the +armor/evasion% nodes won't screw you out of anything. Pure armor has better base items than ev though.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Is anyone selling a Meginord's Girdle on scrubcore? I just got a Facebreaker and am looking to grab stuff for it.

Also a low level (15-20?) quiver with physical damage is on my shopping list too.

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Thanks for all the build advice. I used up all my 15 respec points and I went from 1800 hp to 2200 and have been dieing less. The reason why my build was such a mess was because that ranger was my first character. I thought arrow piercing and lightning arrows would synergize perfectly and from there I was pretty much stuck down that path. I think my best option is to just start over though and use the build Bebaloo posted. It's just frustrating because I felt like I did spend a lot of my points on HP and strength nodes but because I went down that path I don't have enough HP to continue reasonably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

First ever map I found..decided to toss an Alch on it.

This looks very painful :saddowns:

• Locked thread