Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, I just want to post that game again for everyone.
http://www.stalagflight.com/

Play that and think of sitting for an extended period of time in front of your HDTV.
This is NOT the game to be promoting as your killer app. At all.

Wait, this game seems to use mouse only controls. Which means it will probably easily translate to a phone touch screen, but it would play terrible with a tiny touch pad (or some ridiculous controller mapping scheme).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

WendigoJohnson posted:

The best console knockoffs are the ones that resemble other everyday household objects.

This makes me wonder if there are android powered vibrators. How exactly would the controls work for playing angry birds?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

DalaranJ posted:

Wait, this game seems to use mouse only controls. Which means it will probably easily translate to a phone touch screen, but it would play terrible with a tiny touch pad (or some ridiculous controller mapping scheme).

But, but, OYAH!
*slap bass solo*

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN
I've pre-ordered 150 LEON BUDDs which I plan on reselling on Ebay after the inevitable run on the machines. Should I reinvest in Bitcoins?

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
Sweet jesus, that keynote speech. I'm only a few minutes in and it's already top shelf comedy. I think my favorite bit is how Josh shames the crowd for not backing the KUSHBRAH, then just lets it rip with actual questions that make Uhrman look dumb as gently caress.

Man, my left nut for journalists who would grill politicians even half as hard as this, particularly when they were expecting yet another kid-gloves backslapping session, as I'm assuming Uhrman was.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

NewtGoongrich posted:

I've pre-ordered 150 LEON BUDDs which I plan on reselling on Ebay after the inevitable run on the machines. Should I reinvest in Bitcoins?

Bitcoins are definitely the better investment.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

NewtGoongrich posted:

Get those bad boys mining for Bitcoins and you'll recoup your investment just in time to buy some BOOYAH V2.0s and get in on the early wave of Litecoins!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Sweet jesus, that keynote speech. I'm only a few minutes in and it's already top shelf comedy. I think my favorite bit is how Josh shames the crowd for not backing the KUSHBRAH, then just lets it rip with actual questions that make Uhrman look dumb as gently caress.

Man, my left nut for journalists who would grill politicians even half as hard as this, particularly when they were expecting yet another kid-gloves backslapping session, as I'm assuming Uhrman was.

Pretty sure he wasn't even trying to grill her hard, she's just not used to answering real questions.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Yep, they know what they're doing!

quote:

As I mentioned in another earlier thread, my game submission was denied, apparently due in part to having android.permission.VIBRATE in the manifest. Presumably (I don't know this for a fact), it is a violation of OUYA's policy, based on this article. The relevant section from the article:

Permissions. Instead of the standard Android behavior where each app has its own custom permissions, we will define a default set of application permissions that will apply to all games.

Assuming this is still the official word on game permissions, is that "default set of permissions" actually defined somewhere? I would like to point out that OUYA's own "game-sample" doesn't even conform to the above statement (no extra permissions at all are defined in the manifest).

Or maybe there are pre-defined blacklisted permissions we aren't allowed to use? Or is every app going to be required to specify some pre-defined list of permissions in the manifest? Or will our APKs be altered before they are installed by the user?

I'd like some official word on this point, as it could have far-reaching consequences depending on how it is implemented.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

theflyingorc posted:

Yep, they know what they're doing!

android.permission.vibrate is one of the standard permissions from aosp. If your quotation is accurate and it's not allowed in AUYO games (his submission wasn't rejected for other reasons), that's almost a breaking change between aosp and AYOU.

Even if you have to extend the vibrate functions to deal with multiple controllers, there's no point in blacklisting the permission. Christ, what a shitshow this seems to be.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

boo_radley posted:

android.permission.vibrate is one of the standard permissions from aosp. If your quotation is accurate and it's not allowed in AUYO games (his submission wasn't rejected for other reasons), that's almost a breaking change between aosp and AYOU.

Even if you have to extend the vibrate functions to deal with multiple controllers, there's no point in blacklisting the permission. Christ, what a shitshow this seems to be.

Have they done this because the OINYBOINGY controllers don't vibrate?

Do they vibrate?

If not is it because after an hour they'd vibrate themselves to pieces?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
It shouldn't matter. a.p.v. is just a notice that the app can engage the vibrators. It's not coupled to the function that engages them.
So you have two options:
1) don't bother with vibrating controllers at all
2) use the default vibrate method for player 1's controller and create extended methods for players 2-4

android phones or tablets get shook like this:
code:
Vibrator v = (Vibrator) getSystemService(Context.VIBRATOR_SERVICE);
v.vibrate(500); // vibrate half a second
Putting on my programmer hat if I saw that and wanted to extend it to 4 players, I would maybe extend the context in a special way so that an OUYA version gets initialized on the correct platform, or gets set to null if you're on stock android (and ignored by getSystemService)
code:
Vibrator v1 = (Vibrator) getSystemService(Context.VIBRATOR_SERVICE);
Vibrator v2 = (Vibrator) getSystemService(OUYAContext.VIBRATOR_SERVICE2);
v.vibrate(500); // vibrate half a second
v2.vibrate (500); // player 2 gets vib'd too
that way, you have consistent methods for vibration control that minimize code differences between platforms.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well seeing what the build quality is like, I wouldn't be surprised if the HEYOU controllers just vibrated themselves apart.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

boo_radley posted:

that way, you have consistent methods for vibration control that minimize code differences between platforms.

Its all kind of moot because, as far as I can tell from this disassembly, the OUYA doesn't even have vibration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hh3Ezg9xf0&t=306s

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Red_Mage posted:

Its all kind of moot because, as far as I can tell from this disassembly, the OUYA doesn't even have vibration.

huh. Then ouya ought to just noop the call to vibrate and call it a day. The Nexus 7 has no haptics and it doesn't poo poo the bed about vibration calls. Trying to puzzle this just by looking in from the outside is going to drive me insane. :psypop:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Let's look at someone who will make a game because "It's what I wanted to do so since I was 10" he "don't care about profit" and "Now it will not be any easy task, but we do have the dedication and the ability to do it, it's just a matter of determination."

So yeah, basically exactly the same qualifications as Zybourne Clock, except he's paying people and he's making a 4-player split screen RPG.

(I, of course, try to encourage him in his dumb idea)
http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/918/is-this-idea-plausibleis-there-a-market-for-it#latest

edit: There are literally 10 different forums for the OUYA. OUYAForum.com is the only one that gets a significant number of posts per day (but still less than this thread). OUYAForums.com is the one Julie Uhrman mentioned.

They HAVE to be noticing that nobody cares about their system now. I've read 0 posts of anyone saying "I have put my finalized game on the OUYA store." They're lucky to have 1 news story hit Google News a day. The most active community discussing the OUYA on the internet IS THIS THREAD, and their day to day sales have to be absolutely abysmal. They're still ~300 in Amazon's video game rankings. To compare, Gears of War 3, an 18 month old game, is at #85, and I can't imagine it sells more than a few hundred copies a day. Even if OUYA was selling 300 a day (which I think its safe to estimate that they are not), they'd be only pumping out 9000 a month, also known as "none". Julie knows she's got nothing, but she's SO CERTAIN that their will be great games that everyone cares about and that will fix everything.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 15, 2013

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

quote:

The OUYA can definitely handle 4 player split screen (I can do 4-player Mario Kart on my N64 emulator, for example).

That's not how emulators work. That's not how splitscreen would work. I don't even...

Also this isn't the biggest discussion of it per say. There is a pretty large NeoGAF thread.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

boo_radley posted:

Trying to puzzle this just by looking in from the outside is going to drive me insane. :psypop:

This is why we lash out at things like this. Because it's the only way to break free.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.
So is there any information about games that will actually be on the console within the next few months? Have any devs with real working games discussed how they monetized their games for the ouya? I'm interested in how the (trying to) making money part works for ouya games.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Red_Mage posted:

That's not how emulators work. That's not how splitscreen would work. I don't even...

Also this isn't the biggest discussion of it per say. There is a pretty large NeoGAF thread.

Care to share a link? I'm commuting on a train and would love to entertain myself.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

This is not you but it's gotta be a troll:

quote:

I would buy it...but nobody wants to buy and play a game they have seen and played before so use everything original and nothing previously developed

Dec 26, 2012

gschmidl posted:

This is not you but it's gotta be a troll:

Ouya is such that I couldn't make a clear judgment on that. Poe's law in full effect.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Red_Mage posted:

That level of comprehension of coding is so adorable. Like, I can barely even make a Hello World without it crashing and I know he has no idea what he's talking about. "Split screen" is not a system function!

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

quote:

Wow, pessimistic much stolk? To me iit seems wildly crazily pessimistic to think that the OUYA won't even sell 40k units, when a game console that sells really poorly sells around 30 million in its lifetime. Especially considering 60,000 people were convinced to pay real money up front 8 months in advance for something that may never have shipped. If the system was going to be such a gigantic flop as to sell only 40k, it wouldn't be worth anyone's time to develop for.
There's one of them everywhere, isn't there?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

Julie knows she's got nothing, but she's SO CERTAIN that their will be great games that everyone cares about and that will fix everything.

I was initially hopeful they could deliver a decent standardization about controller inputs but it looks even that is a pretty horrendous failure.

Female Ric Flair has to keep up the certainty to keep from getting called out. In politics there is a term sometimes used of drive by media. LEON is getting great press from the drive-by tech media that just wants a quick tech piece without critical journalism because of that we are sitting on a horrendous expectation bubble. They might have a successful kickstarter and LEON 2 if someone else takes the reins after the inevitable failure of LEON 1.

This is all playing out exactly as the manufacturing experts said it would on the manufacturing side. I'm not surprised given the manufacturing progress the software is failing as bad.

Anyone who ever gets a LEON please practice safe purchasing and use a Virtual Credit Cards if you make any purchases.

Edit: Removed useless content in post.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 15, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Red_Mage posted:

To be fair, that's probably because of really retarded patents. Even Nintendo and Microsoft got sued hardcore over vibration, I'm pretty sure. They probably realized they'd have to either pay more money than the entire HOOHAH cost just to license vibration technology, or spend just as much developing a new solution, and gave up.

It cannot be overstated how dumb the US patent office is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A game console that sells poorly sells 30 million units, therefore the OUYA will sell at least 30 million.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zaphod42 posted:

To be fair, that's probably because of really retarded patents. Even Nintendo and Microsoft got sued hardcore over vibration, I'm pretty sure. They probably realized they'd have to either pay more money than the entire HOOHAH cost just to license vibration technology, or spend just as much developing a new solution, and gave up.

It cannot be overstated how dumb the US patent office is.

The licensing fees were about 80 cents per controller sold, with retroactive payments for controllers sold before the settlement.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

The licensing fees were about 80 cents per controller sold, with retroactive payments for controllers sold before the settlement.

Hey man, they are operating on the budget of the revolution in consoles. You think they can afford to spend 80 cents a controller kow-towing to Immersion just because they had the gall to patent a device for controller rumbling?

I think not, better reject every game that even mentions vibration from the app store. The revolution will be on your television, OUYA.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
How much do they sell the ZIZI controller for anyway?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Stick100 posted:

Anyone who ever gets a LEON please practice safe purchasing and use a Virtual Credit Cards if you make any purchases.

You will not be able to do so at launch. At launch, you must give them your credit card info to use the store.

FrozenVent posted:

Fifty dollars. A lot of people on OUYAForum were talking about how you should "just get an Xbox controller, they are cheaper".

Of course, that controller will not have a touchpad and therefore will not support some % of OUYA games.

edit: A person gets screwed over by OUYA, Inc:

forums.ouya.tv/discussion/618/q-how-many-times-can-team-ouya-drop-the-ball-on-one-competition

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

FrozenVent posted:

They sell it for 50 bucks. Yeah. Half the price of the console into a poo poo controller with build quality that rivals PS1 era MadCatz gear.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Beautiful Ninja posted:

They sell it for 50 bucks. Yeah. Half the price of the console into a poo poo controller with build quality that rivals PS1 era MadCatz gear.

And, being made with aluminum, is honestly likely to burn your hands if left near a window on a sunny day.

edit: What am I saying? It's the STRADIVARIUS OF CONTROLLERS. They said so in their pitch video. Also, the changed the controller many times due to player feedback, just like Stradivarius violins were basically crowdsourced ideas.

Dec 26, 2012

Wait, the controller itself is aluminum? What the hell, that's probably going to get uncomfortable just from sweaty hands and body temperature after awhile.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

01011001 posted:

Wait, the controller itself is aluminum? What the hell, that's probably going to get uncomfortable just from sweaty hands and body temperature after awhile.
It's actually made out of aluminum foil so you can easily crumple it up and throw it away after that first (and last) disappointing play session.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

01011001 posted:

Well they originally planned on the system being aluminum. What actually comes out, who knows. Wouldn't aluminum also make the actual case significantly hotter than it would be if it continues to be plastic, possibly roasting the insides of the console, or were the LEON engineers actually smart with the design of the cooling on it? All I know about aluminum in electronics comes from Macbook Pros turning into toaster ovens during use and those are designed by the best consumer electronics engineers in the world.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Well they originally planned on the system being aluminum. What actually comes out, who knows. Wouldn't aluminum also make the actual case significantly hotter than it would be if it continues to be plastic, possibly roasting the insides of the console, or were the LEON engineers actually smart with the design of the cooling on it? All I know about aluminum in electronics comes from Macbook Pros turning into toaster ovens during use and those are designed by the best consumer electronics engineers in the world.

The inside electronics would actually be marginally cooler in an aluminum case because it would be better at dissipating heat to the outside air or a hand touching it, or whatever you put it on.

Dec 26, 2012

Beautiful Ninja posted:

All I know about aluminum in electronics comes from Macbook Pros turning into toaster ovens during use and those are designed by the best consumer electronics engineers in the world.

Right, this is part of why I brought that up. If I'm doing anything intensive on mine it's like a jet taking off and gets slightly uncomfortable, and that's not even something you grip.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Beautiful Ninja posted:

The reason it's so hot is actually because the heat is being transferred out of the inside of it, so it's less likely to overheat and damage the electronics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN
So does anyone know how to rig a LEON BUDD to mine for Bitcoins? I've rented some warehouse space and I'm ready to turn my 150 LEON BUDDs (purchased with fiat "currency") into real money (i.e. Bitcoins).

• Locked thread