Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Talking about all this has reminded me that when I got Ruby, I refused to believe it wouldn't connect to Crystal, even though it was right in the manual. I thought they were lying to me. It was only when I connected the games (Crystal in GBA, Ruby in SP) that I finally accepted it.

And, speaking of Pokemon, remember the Lavender Town music scares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Christo posted:

To be clear, the fake GTS won't help you transfer Pokemon from the Gameboy to the DS. It just makes it so you can send yourself any Pokemon as if someone had traded it to you or upload something you caught in game for editing with an external program. You can give yourself a Blastoise in Black or White, but it won't be the Blastoise you kicked Gary's rear end with 15 years ago.

Shh! :ssh: It has the same name, the same level and the same attacks. It's gained a few more stats, but that Blastoise has been away for awhile so it just learned a few new tricks...:colbert:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Shh! :ssh: It has the same name, the same level and the same attacks. It's gained a few more stats, but that Blastoise has been away for awhile so it just learned a few new tricks...:colbert:

It's just like the time my parents took away my sick turtle and got me one with a different looking shell but insisted it was the same one. He just went to a turtle body shop and got some turtle wax.

Back on topic with silly rumors though - one of my friends came up with one that was even more ridiculous than the s.s. anne mew one - not only could you go and strength that truck but you could go and race someone with a surfing minigame where your SPEED stat was important and then you'd access a new zone.

Of course then they added the Sevii Islands in FR/LG so v:shobon:v.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 13, 2013

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011
I think part of the thing about Gen 1/2 not being compatible later on also had to do with complete stat overhaul (Gen 3 was when they made the Special split, too), and they added abilities, and they changed how shiny Pokemon were determined, and the whole gender ID thing... I think there was just too much alteration to the system as a whole to allow transfer between the games.

quote:

Back on topic with silly rumors though - one of my friends came up with one that was even more ridiculous than the s.s. anne mew one - not only could you go and strength that truck but you could go and race someone with a surfing minigame where your SPEED stat was important and then you'd access a new zone.

Of course then they added the Sevii Islands in FR/LG so vv.
Back in the day, because the anime introduced the Orange Islands at some point, there was a little rumor going around that you could sail out to those and get all the badges there. I don't recall the method for getting there, unfortunately, or any other specifics; I'd long since stopped watching the anime by then, so I didn't really know what the draw of this was. Still don't actually; I think my cousin just said there were more badges there (I think it was related to why Gary has ten during one of the early episodes?) and couldn't give me a method or any more specifics.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

The Orange Islands were weird as hell. Could see then working as a group of minigames though.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Isn't there an Orange Islands bit it one of the Stadiums?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zoness posted:

It's just like the time my parents took away my sick turtle and got me one with a different looking shell but insisted it was the same one. He just went to a turtle body shop and got some turtle wax.

The remakes had a few times where it became clear they had some fun with old stuff like that. The Sevii Islands shares a resemblance to the Orange Islands, and if you actually go back to the S.S. Anne truck in FR/LG you get a Lava Cookie (a minor little healing item that you can't get anywhere else in that game).

As another little nod, when you fight Red in HG/SS his team is based on Ash's Orange Islands team. The original G/S/C fight had him using a team build identical to what Red used in Mt. Silver in the manga, but I'm fairly sure that was the manga adapting to the game, not the other way around.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
The reason that compatibility was severed between generations 2 and 3 was because of the complete overhaul of the game engine. Gens 1 and 2 were both built on the same engine, with 2 having a few bug fixes and obviously a lot more features crammed in. With generation 3, they completely rewrote how the game works. They changed a lot of RNG calculations, they rehauled the IV and EV systems to make them more simple, and they gave pokemon a whole new value that defines things like shininess, gender, tastes, and ability. The code just couldn't be made to be compatable. While the game engines for generation 4 and 5 games are rebuilt from 3's, they still use the same data values for pokemon. There's nothing they would have to recalculate or just make up in order to transfer. From then on, they also made transferring between generations only be one-way to avoid having to explain to kids the complexity of the programming and to ditch the asinine time travel explanation from generation 2. HeartGold and SoulSilver really show how much they're wanting to retcon simply because they were just throwing things at the wall back in the 90s.

Cleretic posted:

As another little nod, when you fight Red in HG/SS his team is based on Ash's Orange Islands team. The original G/S/C fight had him using a team build identical to what Red used in Mt. Silver in the manga, but I'm fairly sure that was the manga adapting to the game, not the other way around.

Maybe the lapras was, but Red's team is the 4 version mascots from generation 1 games and one of the two snorlax available in those games. The other is presumably the one that falls asleep and blocks your way in generation 2 games that you have to wake with the radio.

e: just realized, the lapras is the one you get from the scientist in Sylph Co. It has nothing to do with the anime.

cobalt impurity fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 14, 2013

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

cobalt impurity posted:

From then on, they also made transferring between generations only be one-way to avoid having to explain to kids the complexity of the programming and to ditch the asinine time travel explanation from generation 2. HeartGold and SoulSilver really show how much they're wanting to retcon simply because they were just throwing things at the wall back in the 90s.

As someone who only ever played the generation 1 games, I'm curious to hear about what the 'time travel explanation' was, and what you mean about the newer games wanting to retcon the old stuff.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dick Burglar posted:

As someone who only ever played the generation 1 games, I'm curious to hear about what the 'time travel explanation' was, and what you mean about the newer games wanting to retcon the old stuff.

The gen II games were set three years after the gen I, and there was a time machine that let you send pokemon to the gen 1 games, back in time, in exchange for them sending one forward in time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

NonsenseWords posted:

Back in the day, because the anime introduced the Orange Islands at some point, there was a little rumor going around that you could sail out to those and get all the badges there. I don't recall the method for getting there, unfortunately, or any other specifics; I'd long since stopped watching the anime by then, so I didn't really know what the draw of this was. Still don't actually; I think my cousin just said there were more badges there (I think it was related to why Gary has ten during one of the early episodes?) and couldn't give me a method or any more specifics.

The draw of the Orange Islands pretty much boiled down to wanting more content. It was just filler in the anime, but it came out before Gen II, and by the time it came out, pretty much everybody had beaten Gen I. So kids wanted poo poo to do in the games and the fact that the TV show was still going new places made tons of people believe there simply must be new places still in the games. Additionally, one of the new characters for the Orange Islands' arc, Tracey, had a Marill, which led tons of impressionable kids to be convinced that Marill just had to be in R/B/Y somewhere they hadn't looked yet. Their friend's uncle at Nintendo said so...

The anime actually did this a lot back in the day... Gen II came out (in the West) on October 15, 2000. But in the first movie, a year earlier, Ash beat a Donphan in the first couple of minutes; in the second movie, a Slowking bumbles around and breaks the fourth wall; and of course, Misty totes around a Togepi for like, half the series.

The anime still promotes new Pokemon early, but nowadays the internet's a lot better about cutting through the bullshit.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 14, 2013

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I do not think Pokémon is inherently good or bad to talk about, but oh my god, please, thread topic, I beg you. (I suppose the Orange Islands stuff is at least vaguely related)

At this point in the thread I am having trouble remembering whether we went over some things earlier or if I just wanted to mention them. Like how every 13-year-old boy was convinced that there was a way to get the strippers in Duke Nukem to take the pasties off if you did just the right combination of things/input the proper cheat code. Or how Paul Denton in Deus Ex seemed sort of like a mini-urban-legend himself based on the sheer arbitrariness of how the game decided if he survived that pivotal hotel scene (spoilered just in case: if you go out the window instead of out the front door he dIes, even if you kill all the hired assassins sent to take him out and then hop out the window).

I was also just thinking, as I mused about applying for a copy editor job at Nintendo despite being sure I would not get the job--would it still be urban-legend-creating-worthy to have an uncle who worked at Nintendo?

Edit: Oh god typo ruining entire spoilered point :gonk: Thanks Razorrozar.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 14, 2013

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Quarex posted:

I was also just thinking, as I mused about applying for a copy editor job at Nintendo despite being sure I would not get the job--would it still be urban-legend-creating-worthy to have an uncle who worked at Nintendo?

If you work at Nintendo, there's actually a clause in the contract that says that you have to make stuff up about your games to gently caress with your younger relatives.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's actually the other way around. Going out the window (like he *tells you to*, no less) won't work. You need to go through the front, through the army of assassins. If Paul makes it out of the hotel alive, you're fine.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DeathChicken posted:

It's actually the other way around. Going out the window (like he *tells you to*, no less) won't work. You need to go through the front, through the army of assassins. If Paul makes it out of the hotel alive, you're fine.

Judging from context, Quarex typoed "dies" as "does". A single letter off changed the whole meaning of the sentence.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Besesoth posted:

If you work at Nintendo, there's actually a clause in the contract that says that you have to make stuff up about your games to gently caress with your younger relatives.

I bet the reason Nintendo has to cut corners all the time with games and systems is because they are always purposely making decoy games to trick people into leaking rumours.

"Hi, I'm Bob. I worked on a game called "Super Mario's Inferno" for the Gamecube. Got scrapped but Miyamoto liked the Beyond Hell Valley level. I hear he used one of our graphics in one of the later games. No idea which..."

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I bet the reason Nintendo has to cut corners all the time with games and systems is because they are always purposely making decoy games to trick people into leaking rumours.

"Hi, I'm Bob. I worked on a game called "Super Mario's Inferno" for the Gamecube. Got scrapped but Miyamoto liked the Beyond Hell Valley level. I hear he used one of our graphics in one of the later games. No idea which..."

Are you referring to that creepy-as-poo poo aliens on the horizon thing in one of the Super Mario Galaxy levels? That legit scared me when I found out about it.

e:

Still gives me shivers.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Dick Burglar posted:

When Gold and Silver first came out, the characters in-game talk about how Johto is a "newly discovered" region. It's adjacent to Tokyo and connected by foot paths, so it doesn't make any goddamn sense outside the context of them being new videogames. In HeartGold and SoulSilver, they drop the lines about Johto being new. Since GS take place 3 years after RBY, in order to trade with those games you had to use the time machine (no explanation about how they had the time machines 3 years before they were invented). Now, you're just trading to someone "from a far away place."

In the generation 1 games, Professor Oak claims to have travelled the world catalogueing pokemon, but was still confident there were only 151 different species. In FireRed and LeafGreen, they drop any mention of hard numbers or that Kanto is the be-all, end-all. There was a lot of sloppy writing because they didn't quite know in the beginning how they wanted the series to go on and what tone it should have, and now that they've settled on a sort of immersive fantastic realism on a global scale, they had to undo all the stuff from the first few years that establishes anything as a bizarre video game mechanic.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

cobalt impurity posted:

When Gold and Silver first came out, the characters in-game talk about how Johto is a "newly discovered" region. It's adjacent to Tokyo and connected by foot paths, so it doesn't make any goddamn sense outside the context of them being new videogames. In HeartGold and SoulSilver, they drop the lines about Johto being new. Since GS take place 3 years after RBY, in order to trade with those games you had to use the time machine (no explanation about how they had the time machines 3 years before they were invented). Now, you're just trading to someone "from a far away place."

In the generation 1 games, Professor Oak claims to have travelled the world catalogueing pokemon, but was still confident there were only 151 different species. In FireRed and LeafGreen, they drop any mention of hard numbers or that Kanto is the be-all, end-all. There was a lot of sloppy writing because they didn't quite know in the beginning how they wanted the series to go on and what tone it should have, and now that they've settled on a sort of immersive fantastic realism on a global scale, they had to undo all the stuff from the first few years that establishes anything as a bizarre video game mechanic.

They also retcon the egg bit; when Elm gets the call from Mr. Pokemon (as an aside, that is the worst loving name ever, why would you go by that), he says "It's probably just another egg..." and that's exactly what it is. It creates a bit of a plot hole in that Elm and Mr. Pokemon (I cannot loving type that with a straight face, what the gently caress Game Freak) never explain what makes this egg in particular so important, and why Elm has to study it to realize it needs to be carried around to hatch, but the holes that get filled were much worse than the ones that get made.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

Zoness posted:

That's half true. There was a surfing minigame in Yellow version only. Few people got to see it because you needed to transfer a surfing Pikachu from Stadium, which was really hard to get. It has nothing to do with your speed though, and you don't get anything for playing it.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pikachu%27s_Beach

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

cobalt impurity posted:

In the generation 1 games, Professor Oak claims to have travelled the world catalogueing pokemon, but was still confident there were only 151 different species.

I don't think Professor Oak is very good at his job. Probably him and all the other Pokemon Professors got their doctorates on some online diploma mill.

The Pokemon canon and mythos is interesting, due how to it's been retconned and developed between the early games and the later ones, especially the remakes. The descriptions in the Pokedex in Generation 1 have some pretty :psyduck: stuff in them, and there's some wierd stuff with them flip flopping on whether the Pokemon world is like ours, but with electric mice, or completely fantasy, like how they namedrop real locations in the earlier generations.

The Pokemon lore is full of weird and wonderful ideas.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 16, 2013

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

They're also never clear on whether Pokemon are just that world's animals or if there's a distinction between Pokemon and animals. There's references to things like "birds" and. "fish," plus the fact that they have animal names to categorize Pokemon as (ie; "cat Pokemon" or "electric mouse Pokemon"), but then we see things like slowpoke tails being eaten, and Miltanks being milked.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I choose to believe that Pokemon are an invasive species who murdered all the local wildlife, explaining why they are :black101: as hell and always battling.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, there is that whole thing early in the anime about how they theorize that Pokemon came here on a spaceship or meteor or something, also involving Mt. Moon. :psyduck: Basically some kind of panspermia?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Orange Mage posted:

Well, there is that whole thing early in the anime about how they theorize that Pokemon came here on a spaceship or meteor or something, also involving Mt. Moon. :psyduck: Basically some kind of panspermia?

Clefairy is supposedly from space and Deoxys is definitely from space. In fact Deoxys is actually a virus from space that takes over things and makes them look like it, there's a whole fanfic genre about Deoxys zombie apocalypses.

My 16-year-old brother writes fanfic and I read it for him, don't judge me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The new Pop Fiction is out. I quite like that they don't even try to pretend this one's real and still take nine minutes to get to the bottom of the Tomb Raider nude code.

While they don't often make good investigations, I love things like this that are so transparently false. I mean really, did anyone believe this one?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

The new Pop Fiction is out. I quite like that they don't even try to pretend this one's real and still take nine minutes to get to the bottom of the Tomb Raider nude code.

While they don't often make good investigations, I love things like this that are so transparently false. I mean really, did anyone believe this one?

Millions of horny teenagers around the world.

Or maybe they just wanted to believe.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I like to attribute the whackass pokedex entries to the fact that they're written by twelve year old kids.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, that stupid leopard jumpsuit they talked about sounded more interesting (although then again, I'm not 13 anymore, so nude PS1 characters don't exactly interest me). I always thought alternate costumes were the coolest things as a kid and would jump through all sorts of hoops to unlock them.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know why anyone would want early PS1 boobies, I mean those are the pointiest breasts this side of Ocarina of Time's Great Faerie's.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Orange Mage posted:

I don't know why anyone would want early PS1 boobies, I mean those are the pointiest breasts this side of Ocarina of Time's Great Faerie's.

They were also a mistake. The coder put in an extra zero by accident, giving her huge triangles, and he was going to change it back but the rest of the team told him to leave it as it was.

Gamers. Gamers never change.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

The Orange Mage posted:

Well keep in mind that, in 1995, if you never played games on a PC the consoles were amazing graphics-wise. Especially comparing it to previous generations of consoles, everything looked "so realistic!" Kids wanted to see those pixel boobies because it would be a major step up from watching the scrambled porn channels or flipping through lingerie catalogues swearing you could totally see a nipple guys no seriously no I can't show you.

Now kids probably don't even care since they can just google up anything they'd want to see and a lot of games contain nudity anyway. There's no challenge to see titties anymore.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Honestly, that stupid leopard jumpsuit they talked about sounded more interesting (although then again, I'm not 13 anymore, so nude PS1 characters don't exactly interest me). I always thought alternate costumes were the coolest things as a kid and would jump through all sorts of hoops to unlock them.

Alternate costumes are a sad business these days. I grabbed DOA5 off PSN the other week since it was free for Plus subscribers and the top DLC was $8 for bikini costumes :smith:

I remember there being hoaxes around DOA2's intro, now that I think about it. Since it featured a brief flash of a nude model of one of the characters there was talk of how to "unlock" that as a costume for sad people.

EDIT: Hmmm, maybe I'm confusing that with this:

GameFAQs posted:

Uncut Demo

On the mode select screen, choose Option. On the Option screen, choose Game Settings and go to Others. Now change your Age to any number higher than 21. Now go back to the mode select screen and pick Survival Mode. Play through this mode until you get onto the top ten ranking list and put your name in as REALDEMO. Now go back to the title screen and wait until the demo starts. You will now see the uncut demo with more scenes.

Sounds like a lot of effort for little reward, either way.

MysticalMachineGun fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 18, 2013

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

razorrozar posted:

They were also a mistake. The coder put in an extra zero by accident, giving her huge triangles, and he was going to change it back but the rest of the team told him to leave it as it was.

Great. now I can tell another story about how fictional breasts came to be that large besides Power Girl's.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Semiru posted:

Alternate costumes are a sad business these days. I grabbed DOA5 off PSN the other week since it was free for Plus subscribers and the top DLC was $8 for bikini costumes :smith:

I remember there being hoaxes around DOA2's intro, now that I think about it. Since it featured a brief flash of a nude model of one of the characters there was talk of how to "unlock" that as a costume for sad people.

I remember reading somewhere that there's no official unlock, but if you hack the games nude they have prerendered nipples and pubic hair and such. That might have just been the volleyball though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Great. now I can tell another story about how fictional breasts came to be that large besides Power Girl's.

I know this is a bit offf-topic, even for this thread, but there's a story behind Power Girl's?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
In her first appearances the artist decided to draw them bigger and bigger until someone noticed.
It stuck.
The end.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

razorrozar posted:

I thought that was just a story people told about her design? Even the Pop Fiction episode said as much.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Idran posted:

I thought that was just a story people told about her design? Even the Pop Fiction episode said as much.

I may have misheard the Pop Fiction episode, because I seem to remember it confirming that, not debunking it. Cracked definitely posits it as fact, but that isn't the best metric for reliability. I'll dig up the article anyway, give me a bit.

e: This article and this one both state it as fact, and the former cites this IGN article as a source.

IGN posted:

The lady looked impressive all over, far more realistic than other games even attempted. Complete realism wasn't possible, of course, and Gard intended Lara to have somewhat exaggerated dimensions from the start. While making test adjustments to her girlish figure, a slip of his mouse turned an intended 50% increase to her breast size into a 150% gain. It met with instant approval from the team before he could correct it.

So yes, it seems to be true.

razorrozar fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

razorrozar posted:

I may have misheard the Pop Fiction episode, because I seem to remember it confirming that, not debunking it. Cracked definitely posits it as fact, but that isn't the best metric for reliability. I'll dig up the article anyway, give me a bit.

e: This article and this one both state it as fact, and the former cites this IGN article as a source.

So yes, it seems to be true.

Oh, I didn't mean it debunked it, just that it went "Stories say..." or something like that; didn't confirm or deny it. Anyway, aha. Honestly it was something I could have believed either way, and I'm not sure which between intentional or accidental would have been better or worse anyway.