Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

poo poo yeah I do. Octogate and 6 buttons= proest setup.

I just finished my stick today, finally put in my PS360+ board in, and it's magical.

Yeah I suppose my rear end in a top hat condescending tone was missing from my post.

I mean, I don't care if people use octogates (I just think most people who choose to use them are the least informed people making the decision - it's almost always a new player who just can't get execution down and trying to find some other fix rather than putting in the time.

If you use/like an octogate, great.

Hitboxes open a different can of worms, so I mislike them.

Six button layout is the best though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I just like octogates better is all. :(

What was the the thing Tekken players were mad about? I vaguely remember it had something to do with quick neutrals.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

I just like octogates better is all. :(

What was the the thing Tekken players were mad about? I vaguely remember it had something to do with quick neutrals.

Doing dash inputs in 3 frames is trivial with a hitbox (dashing being a huge part of the game). All you gotta do is hold in the direction you want to dash and tap in the opposite direction. The Tekken community is mainly waiting for somebody to win a tournament using it as a crutch before "legit" complaints can be raised.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

See, I dunno about this whole octogate thing. I got one when I first got my stick, because I was finding it really hard to do motions on the standard square gate. I kept jumping when I didn't want to and having problems with motions because I kept getting stuck in the groove and all that nonsense. So I ended up getting the octagonal gate for 'training wheels', to help me get a feel for the directions instead of going a little too far like I did.

After a while though, it started working against me, especially with TKs and DPs, so I switched back and it all really clicked for me. I'm still not sure which side I fall on in the octogate discussion, really, but I found it useful when I was starting out.

But no matter what kind of gate, I still can't do 360/720 motions as well as I did on pad. :negative:

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 16, 2013

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Frankly, I use a hitbox because I'm such a spaz I can't do a consistent charge move on neither pad nor stick. I'd only say don't buy one if you have ready access to tools and the material to make it

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I think the main point is that anyone, given enough time, would be perfectly comfortable on a square gate, standard stick. The most tangible disadvantage I can list of not using the most standard thing is that you inconvenience everyone when your turn comes up by having to plug it in and make button checks happen in casuals. For my scene personally almost no one uses a non-standard device so we can just rotate really fast and not button check. As soon as some pad player or octo-gate dude comes in it's added hassle (both when he gets on and gets off).

For the person with the non-standard controller himself, it's annoying to be tied down to a very specific thing that other people probably don't have. You are inconveniencing yourself to the same degree when you switch in and out. Also if you end up playing in tournaments you better make sure nothing happens to your controller during the tourney. I know some pad players have to play with their specific pad or the entire weight and everything feels off to them and they get hosed up. I've seen people lose their special pads in the middle of tournaments. As a square gate, standard controller person, I don't give a poo poo what stick I play on; I can play on any standard stick.

I feel almost like hitboxes or pads are the only justifiable thing other than a standard stick. The guy asking here about a hitbox, yeah if you have played for years on keyboard you probably want to get a hitbox because unlearning that and learning stick will take way longer than the standard 1.5 month adjustment period that it takes to go from pad to stick. Pad, especially if you mostly play marvel, is okay because a lot of people played pad a LONG time and don't want to spend all the time learning stick for a negligible gain.

The reason octo-gates are so scorned is because you have to specifically choose to subject yourself to the disadvantages I listed above for no real reason. No one "Just started playing on an octo-gate". You have to consciously decide to do that and the reason 95% of the time is thinking it will be a magic bullet to making learning stick easier (it's not).

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE
Years ago I bought six of these buttons in various colors for a traffic themed stick:

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq250/Papermatepens/photo1.jpg
http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq250/Papermatepens/photo.jpg

And I cannot find the old invoice e-mail so I can reorder the same type. The only thing I remember is the fact they were Seimitsus. But everywhere I look, I only see translucent ones? Am I loving retarded or something. I ordered them from the UK if that means anything to anyone. Does anyone know the model for this one.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

systran posted:

I think the main point

Well, I don't care about button checks or specific models.

Execution should be part of the game and there should be a standard that everyone has to contend with. There still is, in arcades.

The hitbox is better than a stick and you can do things on one that aren't possible on a stick.

*i don't think anti-hitbox sentiment is gonna go anywhere until someone wins a major with one

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

You could buy a set of colored buttons and a set of black buttons, take them apart and reassemble them to match what you have now.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

systran posted:

No one "Just started playing on an octo-gate".

Non-square home sticks have always been weird but circle/octo were the universal standards for American arcade cabs until SF4 hit. Use square anyway though seriously geez.

40 OZ posted:

*i don't think anti-hitbox sentiment is gonna go anywhere until someone wins a major with one

Logically impossible, no one good will relearn on Hitbox and no one who's not good already will step up their game enough to pose a meaningful threat to the old guard. Viva Hitbox!

E: Still waiting for someone to make a converter for my Sega Activator, I'll show you assholes how a man does j.HK->cr.HK

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Bitch Twinkles posted:

Years ago I bought six of these buttons in various colors for a traffic themed stick:

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq250/Papermatepens/photo1.jpg
http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq250/Papermatepens/photo.jpg

And I cannot find the old invoice e-mail so I can reorder the same type. The only thing I remember is the fact they were Seimitsus. But everywhere I look, I only see translucent ones? Am I loving retarded or something. I ordered them from the UK if that means anything to anyone. Does anyone know the model for this one.

Focus Attack has Sanwa buttons with the black rim and colored plunger.

http://www.focusattack.com/buttons/sanwa/

That's the closest I can find to what you had before.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

Focus Attack has Sanwa buttons with the black rim and colored plunger.

http://www.focusattack.com/buttons/sanwa/

That's the closest I can find to what you had before.

Yeah, I saw them. And had actually bought some from someone recently from someone, sparking my whole hunt to find these particular ones again haha. The Sanwa ones are cool, the old ones sound and feel like seimitsus (reasonably louder, and they have a sleek plane top). To the guy who mentioned piecemealing: I had thought of this, but where are you finding solid seimitsu plungers and all?

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Akihabara Shop looks like it has the buttons you're describing (the PS-14-G?)

e: Now that I look at it the site seems kinda dead. Oh well :/ Nevermind, I'm dumb, site looks fine

Troffen fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 16, 2013

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
yesss ps-14-g are the best

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I used to always just use circular sticks because ya know, American arcade machines. At home I was even using one of these

(These worked with both PS2 and Xbox. Why cant storebought sticks do this anymore?)

Now since getting a TE and becoming accustomed to square gates, I cant go back to circle.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
speaking of american style sticks, mas is releasing their own optical stick: http://shoryuken.com/2013/03/04/mas-reveals-the-opticon-their-new-american-style-optical-arcade-stick/

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
I die a little inside whenever I see one of those SF anniversary sticks. My first dualmod was one of those and it was an unholy abomination of too many, too long wires, and I'm sure it's out there somewhere shaming my name.

I do love how the unfulfilled market for dual console sticks has fuelled some incredibly clever devices, like Toodles' TEkitty.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I play on pad and I think everyone should play on pad because nowadays that's the standard, since arcades are dead.

Okay, not really, but discussing controllers is dumb. Play whatever you're comfortable with, be it a keyboard, pad, Hitbox, stick, octogate, or Rock Band Portable Drum Controller. You're gonna have to button-check anyway.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I tried playing CvS2 on a dancepad. It was an interesting experience everyone should try at least once.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Triforce should play on powerglove. Otherwise he's just a poser. :colbert:

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I play SF4 on wireless keyboard

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Gutcruncher posted:

I tried playing CvS2 on a dancepad. It was an interesting experience everyone should try at least once.

Same, but with Soul Calibur 2.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

PunkBoy posted:

Same, but with Soul Calibur 2.

Same, but with the plane in bf 1942

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

Troffen posted:

Akihabara Shop looks like it has the buttons you're describing (the PS-14-G?)

e: Now that I look at it the site seems kinda dead. Oh well :/ Nevermind, I'm dumb, site looks fine

Yo, yoooooooooo. God bless you dawg. You and Yolo both. I am going to order a grip of these. Impulse bought a qanba and I had some ideas for art, along with some custom art my girl is working on. I bought some clears plungers for that stuff but I really really wanted the ps-14-g s again because when I compared them to the sanwa equivalent I bought I was just like, "nah, nah man". I hate being so anal about it, but buttons.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

40 OZ posted:

The hitbox is better than a stick and you can do things on one that aren't possible on a stick.

This simply isn't true. Tell me one thing that is physically impossible on a stick that a properly wired/coded hitbox can do.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

This has been discussed multiple times, but on a hitbox you can dash by holding forward and tapping back (without letting go of forward) faster than you could possibly dash on a stick.

That's about it.

edit: Looked at your post history, saw you participated in the discussion. I think your argument will be that a hitbox allows you to do some things faster than a stick rather than allowing you to do things that a stick simply can't. I'd agree.

Mattavist fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 16, 2013

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
Yeah, we already had this argument.

I just try to focus the complaints on the competitive bottom line, not stuff like button checking.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So, uh, moving on to another subject:

Gutcruncher posted:

4 hours of Blazblue Chrono Phantasma showed up in my youtube recommended list. It's looking pretty fun!

If nothing else, it's looking very interesting

:stare:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

That's the goofiest god drat reset I've ever seen. I guess that's pretty much a guaranteed 50/50 if it works like how it looks like it does.

Martian Buddy
Jun 4, 2010

Are you ready to swear
right here,
right now,
before the devil

S-Alpha posted:

I have no idea how the flying gently caress that works.

Like I know the mechanics of how it works but how it happened is just :stare:

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

S-Alpha posted:

We have reached new vistas of anime.

So the Bang is in Magneto rocks state just long enough for Tager to either throw him or go low as soon as the Bang hits the ground, without the Bang being able to react? And the Bang can't do anything off of Gadget Finger as long as the Tager immediately RCs into air Magnetism?
:anime:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

S-Alpha posted:

GOTY every year.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

MadRhetoric posted:

We have reached new vistas of anime.

So as soon as the Bang hits the ground, he's in Magneto rocks state just long enough for Tager to either throw him or go low without the Bang being able to react? :anime:

Bang recovers standing when he hits the ground, like how Gadget Finger normally works. He can reversal out or whatever, but Tager is basically getting a free 50/50 on him. This isn't really very different from just RCing Gadget normally, but I guess the air pull version gives Tager better advantage and gives him the option to do crossunders and such. And it looks funny.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Blazblue is a Gross Game For Gross People please don't buy Balzblue thank you

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
The reason that mixup is better than most other mixups is you don't see Tager for most of it so it'sw ay harder to see what side he's going to end up on, and you can't see the beginning of an overhead animation on top of that. It's a good 5 way mixup. Also, you can't mash reversals in multiple directions usually, which makes the side mixup that much more potent. Since now you might get hit for trying to do certain reversals out of it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Bang recovers standing when he hits the ground, like how Gadget Finger normally works. He can reversal out or whatever, but Tager is basically getting a free 50/50 on him. This isn't really very different from just RCing Gadget normally, but I guess the air pull version gives Tager better advantage and gives him the option to do crossunders and such. And it looks funny.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the Gadget > RC > Collider then doing stuff, either comboing from there or doing some odd reset from there. I was wondering what made Air Driver better for this, but that makes sense, yeah.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

S-Alpha posted:

Yeah, I'm familiar with the Gadget > RC > Collider then doing stuff, either comboing from there or doing some odd reset from there. I was wondering what made Air Driver better for this, but that makes sense, yeah.

They also nerfed Collider pretty hard in this revision so that's also part of it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

They also nerfed Collider pretty hard in this revision so that's also part of it.

Really? They already nerfed it into oblivion, removing the collider loop and sending opponents flying. What'd they do this time around?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

It lost the hard knockdown, and they can air tech out before they hit the ground after it. So you can't really get anything other than 2D or Spark Volt off it now, without magnetism. I don't really know all the specifics other than that, but it's a pretty big nerf as I understand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
Have they released any sort of tier list yet for BBCP? I know there's been talk of Relius and Hazama being really good and such, but I wanna know why no one plays Izayoi :negative:

• Locked thread