Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

orenronen posted:

Stop this fighting, at once!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

NextTime000 posted:

when the video had him say YOU FOOL all I could think of was this classic video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3djXcx2ewQ
The sudden vision of Nidai voiced by Gilbert Gottfried is...unnerving, to say the least.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

FPzero posted:

Mahiru is quickly becoming a favorite of mine and I'm definitely pegging her to be the sidekick character as we go further into the game. She's smart, rational, and mostly calm, though she does seem to get a bit wound up when it comes to male/female roles.
Just based on her voice actor, she's going to kill someone or otherwise have something happen that causes a psychotic break.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

That happened with Junko; I was quite afraid when I saw who Chiaki's voice actress was for that same reason.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
Nidai is the only person in a creepy game in a creepy thread who can have the totally milquetoast reaction of "Oh, okay, well why didn't you say it was just poo poo?" and have it feel genuine. He's the best.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

orenronen posted:

Hyaa! Peko-chan killed Byakuya-chan? We're losing both of our glasses wearing characters?!

This is fantastic. I love when Ibuki makes meta commentary like this. :allears:

orenronen posted:

Hey, how did it feel when it suddenly became dark as you were doing your business? Was it unexpectedly exciting?

...Will you just stop it?

FINALLY! I also love how our protagonist actually has a spine this go around, and I'm glad it was him to finally tell Hanamura to knock it off with the pervy comments already.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Oh, I like the idea of proving a point right. Nice. These new mechanics are really great.

Gahahaha! Of course she didn’t say anything! You can't just come out and say you were taking a poo poo!

Ha ha Nidai is awesome.

EDIT: I like this line here, even though it's not very meaningful:

But... I don't think Pekoyama-san is tall enough to reach the fusebox in that office...

She was guarding the body, so she didn't have the chance to go investigate on her own. So this is a small indication that the students are talking to each other about the case, they weren't all just sitting around on their thumbs waiting for Hinata to tell them everything.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 18, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Here's the animations from this round

Really digging how active the other people in the trial are personally

couwy
Nov 9, 2009

~just feels good~
It's good that the other characters are taking a more participatory role in the trial rather than standing idly by.

Also, I just came across this screencap from Doraemon and was wondering if that was what inspired the developers to cast Nobuyo Oyama as Monobear (and the design, surely).

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

couwy posted:

Also, I just came across this screencap from Doraemon and was wondering if that was what inspired the developers to cast Nobuyo Oyama as Monobear (and the design, surely).

According to this interview oren translated for us, Monobear wasn't specifically written for Nobuyo Ooyama. Having her voice the character was originally brought up as a joke. They sent her an offer, not thinking anything would come of it (she hasn't voiced anyone other than Doraemon since the 70s), but to their surprise she accepted it.

There might be a connection, but it's just a likely to be a (cool) coincidence.

Edit: I believe we've never gotten the other half of that interview. If you just have it around that would be cool to read, orenronen!

devtesla fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 18, 2013

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'd quite like it if Hinata ends up getting proven wrong in one of these counter-arguments. Just make it an unwinnable boss fight, with the other guy flinging arguments at you left and right too fast to slash them all until you lose, but instead of losing the trial it just cuts back immediately to that person elaborating their position, Hinata at the health level he was at before that section, and Hinata just goes "yeah, you have a pretty good point there".

And then a new evidence bullet is added and everyone moves on.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

JT Jag posted:

I'd quite like it if Hinata ends up getting proven wrong in one of these counter-arguments. Just make it an unwinnable boss fight, with the other guy flinging arguments at you left and right too fast to slash them all until you lose, but instead of losing the trial it just cuts back immediately to that person elaborating their position, Hinata at the health level he was at before that section, and Hinata just goes "yeah, you have a pretty good point there".

Yeah, I like that other people in the trials are capable of disputing your points, but it bugs me that as I understand the game mechanics it is impossible for any of them to ever be right. That was true in DR1, too -- Naegi was by definition Literally Always Right -- but the other characters interjecting in DR2 really makes it more apparent.

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.

loquacius posted:

impossible for any of them to ever be right

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Evidence bullet: Blue text.

This time we concur with what it is they say sometimes to. They're not wrong all the time.

Edit: I'm so sorry, but doing that is just so fun! I can't wait for the Nidai Counterargument. The games starting out strong, throwing things at the player left and right and making great use of them. Multiple blue text options, two of the Counterargumen segments, just so far.

HangedManArcana fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 18, 2013

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

HangedManArcana posted:

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Evidence bullet: Blue text.

This time we concur with what it is they say sometimes to. They're not wrong all the time.

Uh. Yeah, I guess? I wasn't talking about the blue text, just the points where (and I quote) "other people in the trials are capable of disputing your points." Counterargument Showdowns, as I am now reminding myself they are called. It is not literally impossible for anyone else to ever say something right, no. (That wasn't true in DR1 either.) Just when they disagree with the player avatar.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, it's cool that other characters can tell US that "you've got that wrong", but... we're still not wrong.

It'd be cool if, at some point, we end up arguing the wrong point for half of a trial until someone else corrects us. But that'd break the "game" part of this game pretty badly.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

quote:

Counterargument Showdowns

Oh yeah, that reminds me: orenronen, does the game ever refer to them by a different name? Because, after double-checking, on the OST they're referred to as something else.

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.

loquacius posted:

Uh. Yeah, I guess? I wasn't talking about the blue text, just the points where (and I quote) "other people in the trials are capable of disputing your points." Counterargument Showdowns, as I am now reminding myself they are called. It is not literally impossible for anyone else to ever say something right, no. (That wasn't true in DR1 either.) Just when they disagree with the player avatar.

Ah.

Sorry about that. But yeah, in the counterargument sections, it is inevitable as far as we can tell.

Also: before I do it every time, would doing "You've got that wrong"s and "I concur"s be annoying? If so, I'll cut it off here.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Can we please stop talking about what we learned from the OST that we didn't know just from the thread, before someone accidentally spoils something?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

loquacius posted:

I would not be surprised if somewhere way down the line a Counterargument ends with the other party actually being correct. Now that we have the mythical power of 'agreeing', the world is possible.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

For those in doubt, Hiyoko genuinely does refer to Mikan as a 'garbage/poo poo bitch' which Mikan unhappily repeats (twice).

And thank gently caress that Pekoyama actually outright admits it's a making GBS threads problem so our thread's never-met-women-befores can shut the gently caress up about it once and for all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tesseraction posted:

For those in doubt, Hiyoko genuinely does refer to Mikan as a 'garbage/poo poo bitch' which Mikan unhappily repeats (twice).

And thank gently caress that Pekoyama actually outright admits it's a making GBS threads problem so our thread's never-met-women-befores can shut the gently caress up about it once and for all.

But they said the food wasn't actually spiked, so she may be lying!

...Will you just stop it?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Can I just ask what kind of chickenshit electrician wired the building so that you'd blow a circuit running three irons on top of the lights and the air conditioning?

Also Hinata telling the Perverted Gourmet to shut up is my favorite moment in the game so far.

symptom
Oct 19, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Can I just ask what kind of chickenshit electrician wired the building so that you'd blow a circuit running three irons on top of the lights and the air conditioning?

Well the building was still under construction, could just be that the electricity wasn't ready yet among other things.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Probably the same guy as the chickenshit fire inspector who signed off on the building plan.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Paracelsus posted:

Probably the same guy as the chickenshit fire inspector who signed off on the building plan.
Guys don't be rude to Monobear/Monomi, whoever built that worked very hard! :mad:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Paracelsus posted:

So SHSL Corrupt Planning Official, I guess?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Color Printer posted:

Guys don't be rude to Monobear/Monomi, whoever built that worked very hard! :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO1ebXqUFDw

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
Nidai is awesome, Sonia is awesome, Hinata is awesome... this is really a great collection of characters.

Also I just had a thought. The big flaw with the "skewered from below" plan is that it relies on the idea that someone just so happened to be lurking under the dining room when Togami crawled under the table, right? Why would anyone be down there in the first place? Pulling off a murder from there is such a long shot.

Well, what if the person wasn't down there with murder on the mind? What if they had another motive? Can anyone think of a character who might have ulterior motives for prowling around beneath the main hall, staring up at the partiers? Partiers that include... girls? Some of whom are wearing skirts?

:fsn:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

lotus circle posted:

I have to say, I'm almost a little disappointed that Peko's bathroom break was just stomach problems out of nowhere. Random coincidences to explain major plot points in mysteries always seemed kind of lazy to me. Well, at least that settles that.
It's not totally guaranteed to be a random coincidence yet - there could be some kind of antidote trick, since Owari ate pretty much all the food while Peko would be limited to only food small enough to take away. Possibly too much of a cliché though.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

As soon as the blue weak points were brought up, I was really really hoping we'd get a YOU'VE GOT THAT RIGHT! but this is still pretty awesome.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Could it be that the bathroom is the way to get under the floorboards? Peko's red herring would turn legitimate, and the bathroom's locked door would prevent anyone from getting in to find that nobody's using it. I find it highly suspicious that Nidai wouldn't at least try to yell at the person using the toilet when he's so focused on not making GBS threads himself.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's not totally guaranteed to be a random coincidence yet - there could be some kind of antidote trick, since Owari ate pretty much all the food while Peko would be limited to only food small enough to take away. Possibly too much of a cliché though.

Once again, if this is all a Nagito plot, then Pekopeko's stomach troubles aren't a coincidence, just random.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Alien Arcana posted:

Nidai is awesome, Sonia is awesome, Hinata is awesome... this is really a great collection of characters.

Also I just had a thought. The big flaw with the "skewered from below" plan is that it relies on the idea that someone just so happened to be lurking under the dining room when Togami crawled under the table, right? Why would anyone be down there in the first place? Pulling off a murder from there is such a long shot.

Well, what if the person wasn't down there with murder on the mind? What if they had another motive? Can anyone think of a character who might have ulterior motives for prowling around beneath the main hall, staring up at the partiers? Partiers that include... girls? Some of whom are wearing skirts?

:fsn:

The Theory seems to be that the murder knew someone would be under that table. So they did not have to rely on chance.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Alien Arcana posted:

Which is why the "Hanamura is the culprit" theory is winning out. Look at the facts.

Nagito and Hanamura were both in the lodge before everything happened. It would have given both of them plenty of time to plan out a murder. More than that, if one of them discovered the other's plan then it makes that one might try to thwart the other. If we place Nagito under the table with Togami (the "Ow" that Nagito said during the blackout immediately following Togami's "Stop that!" supports this) but the skewer was the weapon then it makes sense for Hanamura to be the culprit.

Look if the murderer isn't under the floor, then how could the murder be committed given Togami's position and his wounds? If Mikan's testimony is credible then the weapon can't be the knife. He also has multiple wounds in his front chest area and was found lying face down. The only thing to be determined is how the person made it under the floor. There must be some way to do it if Gundam found his earring.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Also Hinata telling the Perverted Gourmet to shut up is my favorite moment in the game so far.

Monomi DID say that the building was dangerous. Maybe the resort management hired lovely contractors? This would also explain the fire door working in exactly the wrong way.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

slowbeef posted:

I was with you, but I came around to the floorboards thing.

Right now, the best evidence is that Gundam actually did make it under the floor, showing that it's possible to. The only way the floorboard theory works is if you know someone else is going to be under that table. The leading theory is that Teruteru became aware of Nagito's plan and when the glow in the dark tape was obscured from his view (from the floorboards), he realized someone was there and stabbed, not realizing it was Togami.
Still going with the knife being a plant by the culprit with the hopes someone would be lured by the glow and investigate. If you stashed a knife under a table with the intent for quick retrieval/murder/disposal during a blackout, why would you stash it so far underneath the table that you'd have to crawl under the table to get at it?

Nagito doesn't seem to be out of shape or anything; I'm sure he'd be capable of slightly bending over to grab something that was taped to the underside edge of the table. However, if you look at the pictures, the knife seems to be taped further in which would actually require someone getting down to at least a crouch to grab. I think you're right on the "when the glow disappears, stab away," but I'm still convinced Hanamura planted the knife as a lure.

This also solves the "relying on chance" issue.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

JT Jag posted:

This.

One of the things I desperately hoped DR2 would have was more than a trio (give or take) of proactive students during trials and in general, which seems to be working out just fine. Furthermore, it was my dream that at some point in the plot, a bunch of them form what basically amounts to a detective club that Hinata could side with or go against during trials. It never occured to me that someone could do what Nekomaru's doing, by disproving back so well!

Changamer
Feb 20, 2013
Is it just me, or did the music for Phrase 6 sound a bit different than the music for Phrases 1, 2, and 5? Is that a different track than the one used for those phrases, or am I just imagining the difference in the music?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

TKMobile posted:

This.

One of the things I desperately hoped DR2 would have was more than a trio (give or take) of proactive students during trials and in general, which seems to be working out just fine. Furthermore, it was my dream that at some point in the plot, a bunch of them form what basically amounts to a detective club that Hinata could side with or go against during trials. It never occured to me that someone could do what Nekomaru's doing, by disproving back so well!

Yeah, I'd argue that it looks like, for the time being, that although most of the students are being helpful (aside from the psychotic dancer), it looks like Mahiru and Nagito are really stepping up as Hinata's key allies. Although obviously I DEEPLY suspect Nagito's motives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

This also solves the "relying on chance" issue.

No it doesn't. It still leaves up to chance the whole idea that anyone would notice the knife at all and decide to care about it more than getting the lights back on. Meanwhile, the person who planted the knife probably planted it close to the centre of the table because if it were near the side, say using the corner of the table as the landmark, someone might have found it by just leaning on the table or something.

Another problem with the knife being a lure is that if that's the case, the only person who noticed it was standing way the gently caress on the opposite side of the room and needed night-vision goggles to get from one end of the room to the other. Togami would be the least likely person to get killed in that case.

The knife being a lure is a bad theory.

• Locked thread