Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
If you're even just thinking about making some tintypes, watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXOseY7HxxU

wet plate snype :ninja:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

home scanned portra

Aurora by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Great job! Perfect exposure, great colors, phenomenal scan. It looks great. Nice work!

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

It's nice when you take pictures of things that aren't bikes. :)

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Put some regular film in my view camera this weekend. This is a 9x12, but I think I'm going to print this one really big if I can get the fine art paper in a super size.

The Cadet by McMadCow, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Hey genderfluid, did you do anything to add a light trap on your 6x12 back or do you just not remove the darkslide fully?

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

McMadCow posted:

Put some regular film in my view camera this weekend. This is a 9x12, but I think I'm going to print this one really big if I can get the fine art paper in a super size.

Your work is always improving and always impressive :)

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

nonanone posted:

It's nice when you take pictures of things that aren't bikes. :)

Well, bikes hold a special place in my heart, don't know why. Sometimes when I'm out there and I'm short on ideas, I see a bike and it just looks beautiful to me. I can't resist, I take the shot. I guess it's like taking pictures of kittens or something, you just can't help yourself. But at the same time, I don't think my subject matter is boring or uninteresting. I think if you were to forget every picture I've taken of bicycles and look at them individually, they're good shots. Forget that I've done a whole bunch of bikes. And my newer ones are better.

Edit: Class A Moderation right here. Yes, I got probated for this post. WTF ??

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 18, 2013

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

McMadCow posted:

Wish there was a tiny bit more definition to the subject. Just a tiny bit more separation.

But its still an inspiring piece.

(and I hate you for reminding me of my own inadequacy at all things photographic)

LFK
Jan 5, 2013
Pentax 6x7 Adventures Roll #2 - The Kraken Wakes in the Deep and Hits the Snooze Button

Last Friday my friends tolerated me, my lights, and my massive honking 6x7. I shot a 35mm roll that wound up being fairly unexceptional, a roll of FP4+ and a roll of Fujicolor something something that I haven't had developed yet.

The three big lessons learned:

• Watch my tilt when hand-holding the camera. It's so much bulkier than my A1 that it's really, really easy to unconsciously favor the left side putting everything at mild-to-severe tilt.

• Seated people are easier to focus on, and let me use the waist level finder (I tried gaffer tape on the VF, but I still can't see the edges of the frame w/ my glasses on.)

• That DoF is narrower than I suspected, especially at that distance with that lens. I ran it through the calculator last night just to get the numbers in my head and to get 6" of DoF I need to be shooting at f/13.3. I will need more light.

Here's a mediocre scan of the best shot from the roll of FP4+

Rupin by Lemon Frosted, on Flickr

It's cropped for 5x7 because I was correcting the tilt problem and because 5x7 is what I normally print on (I like having a wall full of many photos, instead of one with just a few 8x10's.)

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

dukeku posted:

Hey genderfluid, did you do anything to add a light trap on your 6x12 back or do you just not remove the darkslide fully?

I've taken it out fully when I shoot and haven't had any problems. I'm shooting at night so it's possible i'm getting some light leaks that just aren't showing up because of that, but no problems thus far. I'm honestly surprised, but not complaining.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Ilford are now doing a pinhole camera in 8x10 size:

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/03/20/ilford-releases-a-new-harman-titan-8x10-pinhole-camera-with-f288-aperture/

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sunset, As Seen From The Road Leading Up Pine Mountain by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

I am never developing Acros in HC-110 again for two reasons: the midtones were so flat that it was hell getting them remotely acceptable, and it's not grainy enough.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Some Portra 160VC

Florist, Bishan, 2012 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Kopitiam, Ang Mo Kio, 2012 by alkanphel, on Flickr

and Astiaaaa

Playground Seat by alkanphel, on Flickr

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

atomicthumbs posted:

Sunset, As Seen From The Road Leading Up Pine Mountain by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

I am never developing Acros in HC-110 again for two reasons: the midtones were so flat that it was hell getting them remotely acceptable, and it's not grainy enough.

I'd rather have flat midtones. It's a lot easier to add than it is to remove contrast.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Genderfluid posted:

I'd rather have flat midtones. It's a lot easier to add than it is to remove contrast.

They were so flat as to be posterized. I had to darken the middle area of trees there to hide it.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Phase One H20 back for sale for $850: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pho/3663319790.html

Should I do it? I dunno what I'd buy to use it with? I have a 4x5 view camera though I don't know if there's an adapter out there for it.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

guidoanselmi posted:

Phase One H20 back for sale for $850: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pho/3663319790.html

Should I do it? I dunno what I'd buy to use it with? I have a 4x5 view camera though I don't know if there's an adapter out there for it.

Do you have a laptop with Firewire you can keep attached to your setup at all times? Then yes, go for it!

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

that sounds ominous. does it not have an SD/CF card slot?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

guidoanselmi posted:

that sounds ominous. does it not have an SD/CF card slot?

Nope. I've seen one in use in a studio - the guy had the camera on a large wheeled camera rig, with 20' Firewire cables going to his Power Mac G4, which was on a wheeled desk. Even the possibility of using a laptop is questionable - Googling tells me Macbooks can't all provide enough power on the Firewire port to operate the H20.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

well forget that then :smith:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

buy it and get a powered firewire hub, gosh.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.
You can get an adapter for a view camera that allows you to slide the back around the frame but those only work in one plane I think their around $150. You'd also have to use Capture One to take the photos.

Really, the sensor is smaller than 6x4.5 frame, I think 4x4 so unless you're shooting still-lifes or really need to Scheimpflug it up, there aren't too many advantages to having one.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

atomicthumbs posted:

I will not have you malign this magical combination :colbert:

Lookit dat highlight detail:

Headlands by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

This was 3 stops underexposed but there's still plenty of shadow detail:

Muir Woods by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

I can only suggest that you make sure you're scanning to 16-bit, not 8-bit files, and... maybe agitate more? Anyway don't give up on a developer/film combination just because you liked the grain you got when you had a lab process a notably grain-free film for you :psyduck:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

MrBlandAverage posted:

I can only suggest that you make sure you're scanning to 16-bit, not 8-bit files, and... maybe agitate more? Anyway don't give up on a developer/film combination just because you liked the grain you got when you had a lab process a notably grain-free film for you :psyduck:

What sort of agitation/time did you do for these?

The Small Forest by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Reminder: the Pentax 67 75mm f/4.5 is magic. Here's a 100% crop of the lichen in the bottom left corner:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

atomicthumbs posted:

What sort of agitation/time did you do for these?

The Small Forest by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Reminder: the Pentax 67 75mm f/4.5 is magic. Here's a 100% crop of the lichen in the bottom left corner:

Dilution E, 7 minutes, 2 inversions every minute. If you need more contrast just agitate more/more often.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
look it's a dumb joke

Pick A Pack O' Packfilm by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Portra 160

Idol by alkanphel, on Flickr

Portra 400

Tomb by alkanphel, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

alkanphel posted:

Portra 160

Idol by alkanphel, on Flickr

Portra 400

Tomb by alkanphel, on Flickr

Love the contrast in the first, and the color looks nice enough to be slide. The second is just really sweet.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
My first attempt at street photography and my first time using Acros.

Powell St. Station by Jordan_t_Brown, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

voodoorootbeer posted:

Love the contrast in the first, and the color looks nice enough to be slide. The second is just really sweet.

Thanks. I just pushed the blacks slider in LR and it turned out really nicely like slide, as you said.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Bros,
As much as I have enjoyed belonging in this thread, I'm selling my Hasselblad 500cm setup. It's in the buy/sell thread and will instantly make you a better photographer!

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

QPZIL posted:

Bros,
As much as I have enjoyed belonging in this thread, I'm selling my Hasselblad 500cm setup. It's in the buy/sell thread and will instantly make you a better photographer!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

EXPERIENCE BIJ

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

QPZIL posted:

Bros,

Hey I heard in another thread that you're selling your Hasselblad 500cm setup!

(Now I'm going to sell mine just to undercut you).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm having frame spacing problems on my Pentacon Six TL, is there a way I can fix this myself (other than buying a Hasselblad 500cm) or does it tend to be a job for a repair shop? Pretty sure it's a problem with the film advance mechanism rather than my loading.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

big scary monsters posted:

(other than buying a Hasselblad 500cm)

One of my 500cm backs has frame spacing problems.

I'd take it to a repair shop.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

big scary monsters posted:

I'm having frame spacing problems on my Pentacon Six TL, is there a way I can fix this myself (other than buying a Hasselblad 500cm) or does it tend to be a job for a repair shop? Pretty sure it's a problem with the film advance mechanism rather than my loading.

Seconding the repair shop.
But if it's mostly at the beginning you can try to artificially make the roll thicker. Duck tape some backing tape to the leader of the roll you're shooting. 5-10cm should be sufficient. I do this for my old folders who have frame spacing problems. But with those folders these problems are due to the old films being thicker and thus the mechanism being tuned for that thickness. I doubt that's the problem with your camera, but it might help anyway.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

VomitOnLino posted:

Seconding the repair shop.
But if it's mostly at the beginning you can try to artificially make the roll thicker. Duck tape some backing tape to the leader of the roll you're shooting. 5-10cm should be sufficient. I do this for my old folders who have frame spacing problems. But with those folders these problems are due to the old films being thicker and thus the mechanism being tuned for that thickness. I doubt that's the problem with your camera, but it might help anyway.

On that point, I just got back my magazine back from servicing at Hasselblad and the technician pasted a new sticker on the loading reel side where he said I should align the starting arrow to that red dot if I was using Ilford film or had spacing issues for the first few frames.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread