Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

hailthefish posted:

Maybe try putting the following after player addItem "FirstAidKit";
code:
 player addPrimaryWeaponItem "acc_flashlight";
Thanks that did it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
... there is something deeply hilarious about how had things gone differently, the entire Operation Flashpoint/Arma franchise could have ended at Resistance and Bohemia Interactive would have then moved on to making "an RPG Wild West game" because "we didn't want to create a sequel at all back then."

Still, while the article was very early on in Arma 3's public life, it's an interesting retrospective from the CEO who outright admits that "the Arma 1 release was not in any way smooth and the game was somewhat uninspired in various ways" because of how bad of a situation BI was in around that time. (In talking up Arma 2 in 2008 to VideoGamer.com he further admitted that "with ArmA 1 it was just random, really. We made some units because we had to. There wasn't much passion from our side with the first ArmA, to be honest.")

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Well now I want a huge open world cowboy game with realistic ballistics. Modders, make it so.

SkopeDog
Sep 6, 2011
^^^ Same, galloping around with goons and a Sharp's Carbine? Give me. There was actually a pretty dece American Civil War mod for OFP.

Chortles posted:

... there is something deeply hilarious about how had things gone differently, the entire Operation Flashpoint/Arma franchise could have ended at Resistance and Bohemia Interactive would have then moved on to making "an RPG Wild West game" because "we didn't want to create a sequel at all back then."

Still, while the article was very early on in Arma 3's public life, it's an interesting retrospective from the CEO who outright admits that "the Arma 1 release was not in any way smooth and the game was somewhat uninspired in various ways" because of how bad of a situation BI was in around that time. (In talking up Arma 2 in 2008 to VideoGamer.com he further admitted that "with ArmA 1 it was just random, really. We made some units because we had to. There wasn't much passion from our side with the first ArmA, to be honest.")

I could believe that. ArmA was originally supposed to be a second expansion pack to OFP, then Codemasters was Codemasters and poo poo got hilarious. In their defense, I really liked the sides (the RACS and the SLA looked cool) and to this day I wish I could get the CAA mod to work because I loved Sahrani.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
Can we have a signup sheet so we know how many people we can expect on Saturday?

The Germans have 20 people showing up and it would be kinda dumb if we're just with 10 guys.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
I'll sign up for that, should be on a decent euro time/server for the germans sake right?

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
Okay, here is the condensed version that should answer all questions.

When will this begin?
1900 UTC on 23 March 2013.

Where do I go to find my team?
The Camping the Stairs mumble.
IP: 76.72.167.240
Port: 64738
Pass: You should know

What if the teams are unbalanced?
We'll either send our best German speakers to their team or they will send their best English speakers to ours.

Dev build or Standard Build?
Standard.

What are the missions like?
Custom designed by their mission creators. Apparently objective based with no respawns. Hopefully they will have English briefings, if not someone can translate.

Who will host the server?
We are figuring that out just before the event, at 1830 UTC.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Unfortunately, I can't make it to the event tomorrow.
But if this were to become a regular thing (and next term's schedule permitting), I wouldn't mind helping out with the organisation - I'm German and I speak ze English gud, ja.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I'll be around.

Hopefully we can muster enough people to have balanced teams, would hate to have to drag some poor Germans with us who can barely understand our neckbeard lingo.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
I'd love to come, if that's ok. I have 1000+ hours of Arma-related sperg activities to my name.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

I'd love to come, if that's ok. I have 1000+ hours of Arma-related sperg activities to my name.

That's a lot of sperg activities, how much of that was in combat?

Anyways I probably will show up but my archaic internet and laptop would make me glide around.

Disclaimer: This post has been made to pad my post count

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Conot posted:

I'll be around.

Hopefully we can muster enough people to have balanced teams, would hate to have to drag some poor Germans with us who can barely understand our neckbeard lingo.

Pfft. We all speak the language of glorious combat. Words are for nerds and women.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I'll be there if I don't sleep through it. It'd be nice if we could all have a look at the mission beforehand, though, since they'll have an advantage from having been he ones who made it otherwise.

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider
I WILL JOIN THIS GLORIOUS BATTLE

nub
Jul 20, 2009

Keep talking.
This is going to get recorded by one or more of you, right?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

If I am awake for this (someone convert to CST plz) then I will be recording the whole match.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
Hey, I've got a couple of small 4-man missions almost ready, they just require a bit of polish but are otherwise playable.

Not Your Job
A quick fireteam assault into some buildings, some defending, an ambush, and a fast extraction. Should be pretty fast-paced and action-packed.
Get the Stable-release version here, and the dev-build version here. The stable one is better tested and it seems the latest dev build dicked around with the terrain around the mission a bit, so I have no idea how that affects the gameplay.

Hillbilly Heroes
This is a longer mission, with a large variety of different ways to finish it. It involves making your way into Agia Marina, while BLUFOR forces are advancing towards the city, which is being defended by OPFOR. Both sides are hostile to the players, who need to get in the city through both the attacking and the defending forces to kill their targets, and then get away again.

Get the stable-release version here. The dev-build version has a weird but consistent crash at some point, which I haven't been able to fix.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
There's a 50% chance that I'm playing. So count be as half there.

Profan
Mar 22, 2013

Rent-A-Cop posted:

More dumb mission making questions!

So I've shamelessly stolen someone else's scripting and adjusted it to do what I want it to do. Which is spawn, and respawn, all players with the correct gear. What I'm trying to figure out now is how to add flashlights to everyone's gun when they spawn and respawn.

Here's what I'm working with now in the mission"s init.sqf

Loads of code.

At the moment I'm just spawning players next to a box with a thousand flashlights in it, but I'd like a more elegant solution.

I'd go as far as to suggest that you should probably break that out into a script called equip.sqf or something, a little structure in the init.sqf goes a long way to delaying the possible insanity you may otherwise encounter.

After that just running execVM on that script from the init.sqf.
code:
 handle = [optionalparams] execVM "scripts\equip.sqf"; 
Below example of what you could pass to the script:
code:
handle = [allUnits] execVM "params.sqf";

//Below is params.sqf
_arrayofmans = _this select 0; //Refers to the first position in the array of parameters passed.
{_boom = "M_PG_AT" createVehicle (position _x);} foreach _arrayofmans;
You are also repeating yourself, what you've written twice there could probably be condensed into either a function or an external script file that you just call in both places.

For example it could look like this:
code:
	//this is init.sqf
	if (!isServer) then {waitUntil {!isNull(player)}};

_assHandle = [] execVM "scripts\assignEquip.sqf";
	waitUntil {scriptDone _assHandle}; 
	_addHandle = [] execVM "scripts\addEquip.sqf";

player addEventHandler ["Respawn",
	{
		(_this select 0) spawn {
			sleep 120;
			hidebody _this;
			sleep 5; 
			deleteVehicle _this;
		};		

_addHandle = [] execVM "scripts\addEquip.sqf";

}];

code:
	//this is assignEquip.sqf	
	switch (side player) do {
		case blufor: {
			cul_mags = [["30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag",8],["HandGrenade",2],
			["SmokeShellGreen",2],["UGL_FlareGreen_F",2]];
			cul_wep = ["arifle_MX_GL_F"];
		};
		case opfor: {
			cul_mags = [["30Rnd_65x39_caseless_green",8],["HandGrenade",2],
			["SmokeShellRed",2],["UGL_FlareRed_F",2]];
			cul_wep = ["arifle_Khaybar_GL_F"];
		};	
	};
	if ((str player) in ["b1","b2","o1","o2"]) then {cul_wep = cul_wep + ["itemGPS","Binocular"];};
code:
	//this is addEquip.sqf
	removeAllWeapons player; 
	player unassignItem "NVGoggles";
	player removeItem "NVGoggles";
	{player addMagazines [_x select 0,_x select 1];} foreach cul_mags;
	{player addWeapon _x} foreach cul_wep;
	player addItem "FirstAidKit";
	player selectWeapon (cul_wep select 0);
..rather sceptic about this line actually working though(havent tested your code at all)
code:
if ((str player) in ["b1","b2","o1","o2"]) then {cul_wep = cul_wep + ["itemGPS","Binocular"];};
..nevermind, if it does what I think it does, which is check what object player actually references to, and if the object has been specifically named and is in the list, it should work.

Not the prettiest solution, but it'll be more efficient most likely :v:

Also if you don't already have it, add this to the launch parameters for ArmA3:
code:
 -showScriptErrors 
Also one more thing, variables without _ infront of them are global throughout all scripts run in the client they were defined on, so if you ever define cul_wep for example you'll be able to reach that variable from any script you run without passing that variable there.

If a variable looks like this: _car = 15;

You'll only reach it from within the scope it was defined, if you already get this I'm sorry :v:

..in the EU so going to sleep now, will help tomorrow.

Profan fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 23, 2013

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
Currently cracking the enigma that is the unpacked mission the germans handed us. Please join the mumble for plans on how to break this mission horribly and win.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149231-F3-Mission-Development-Framework-(F2-for-ArmA-3)

F3 might be a good resource for aspiring goon missionmakers to use. I tinkered with the Arma2 version (F2) for a while. It provides a lot of the framework for things like briefings and equipment scripts so you don't have to re-invent the wheel yourself.

It also includes a lot of crap you may not need or want, but at least you can look at the scripts for inspiration.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Is there a sign-up for the Great German Goon party? It should be fun even if I can't talk german.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!
I got a dedicated server through betaforce and can't get past the Steam 'no saved credentials to run offline mode' error. If that resolves I should have something fairly permanent to play on. I've even made a second Steam account and am trying to trade for a title so I don't have to pay for a second one and then the server should be good then too. Even tried using alpha lite on second account then firing off the console mode, didn't expect it to work but it was a free option, and that didn't work either. Thanks again Haygen for the lite alpha gift.

Server name is WeeCeeBees

SkopeDog
Sep 6, 2011
http://youtu.be/l-PqJovIeOA

Suiting, since we essentially snuck all the way to the airfield from that point on.

mmtt
May 8, 2009
I'll be most likely showing up.

Can we show a bit earlier for some pointers on the mission ?

freakazoid
Feb 23, 2004
freak out!
I have three gift copies, post your steam names and I'll send away!
i'll check in 24 hours time on the 1st three people!

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

mmtt posted:

I'll be most likely showing up.

Can we show a bit earlier for some pointers on the mission ?

Current plan is to get together at 18:30 UTC and work on some strategy then, I'll probably be hopping on to mumble about 18:00 UTC just to be around, so if you like I can give you pointers on what we saw yesterday while testing the map.

For reference, 18:00 UTC is exactly 4 hours from this post!

Arianya fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 23, 2013

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider

Bitter Beard posted:

I got a dedicated server through betaforce and can't get past the Steam 'no saved credentials to run offline mode' error. If that resolves I should have something fairly permanent to play on. I've even made a second Steam account and am trying to trade for a title so I don't have to pay for a second one and then the server should be good then too. Even tried using alpha lite on second account then firing off the console mode, didn't expect it to work but it was a free option, and that didn't work either. Thanks again Haygen for the lite alpha gift.

Server name is WeeCeeBees

I rented a server as well and ran into this same issue. I spent an hour with support yesterday listening to some guy on the phone be convinced I didn't know how to operate offline mode. Finally he realized the poo poo is loving broken and gave me hosting credit on their platform at least :(

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

Hybridfusion posted:

I rented a server as well and ran into this same issue. I spent an hour with support yesterday listening to some guy on the phone be convinced I didn't know how to operate offline mode. Finally he realized the poo poo is loving broken and gave me hosting credit on their platform at least :(

I'm not playing right now so it is up, just using my Steam account and letting it roll. Curious how it is going to run with 30 people.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
Turns out it was actually 1900 UTC because I converted Time Zones wrong. So about 2 hours after this post we will start.

CoolZCBD
Jan 14, 2013
So far playing the alpha... ARMA 3 is a lot of fun. I think the graphics are great and hopefully the game gets tweaked even a little bit better. One thing i noticed that i REALLY love, is the new voices they used rather than the little robotic, different toned voice.

Profan
Mar 22, 2013

Raneman posted:

Turns out it was actually 1900 UTC because I converted Time Zones wrong. So about 2 hours after this post we will start.

How many players are you anticipating? May be able to provide a dedicated server temporarily.

Profan fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 23, 2013

SkopeDog
Sep 6, 2011
Quick tip for those who are fancying themselves as gunship jockeys, cause I see quite a few people in games that do this. This is coming from someone who prefers Hind over Apache/Cobra/Ka-52 in ArmA 2.

Don't try pop up attacks in the AH-9. Just don't. You really lack the armor to do so. You should hug tree tops and use terrain to mask your approach. The lower you are, the smaller window an enemy gunner has to lead you and pump you full of bullets. Shriek in over the tree tops, unload rockets or take you accurate shots on the fly, then zoom back on out, dipping behind trees and hills to cover your exit.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
In 20 minutes I want as many people in mumble as possible, so we can start gathering for the match in 50 minutes.

Raneman fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 23, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I should dig out my old Sidewinder joystick. Helicopter attack runs were always fun. That is whenever you managed to get one.

SkopeDog
Sep 6, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

I should dig out my old Sidewinder joystick. Helicopter attack runs were always fun. That is whenever you managed to get one.

It's a bit unwieldy, but it's really fun to use my X-52pro for that.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Not sure about the password. Guess I'll give this a miss.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

In as JustinTyme (Sta1ker ingame)

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Not sure about the password. Guess I'll give this a miss.

The password is lljk, as it is with every goon thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009
So did you goons emerge triumphant against the Germans?