Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

It wasn't even bad for the late 90s when it was still being translated in the heyday of NES roms, especially when you put it next to the shitfests that were the original FF1 and FF2.

The worst thing I would say about the original FF3 is maybe "it's too short" and "two of the dungeons are really hard". And one of them is short and you can just run from all the enemies.

I have no idea why, but the ÜYA has a German Youtube channel. If you happen to speak German:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPeNhqvvJC8

I'm not going to bother translating the whole video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

raditts posted:

Has there actually been any word from S-E about whether they're really doing an "ouya port" since that one little thing they said 9 months ago? Because drat it if Uhrman hasn't been running with that one like she's Forrest Gump.
The last update I saw on Square's website was August or so. Let me see if I can find the announcement again.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I walked in late on this thread and the OYUA debacle as a whole. I'm trying to piece it together from what ive read the past 15-20 or so pages. From what im gathering: Kickstarter happened, everyone got excited and chipped in, some time passed and apparently the people behind it were incompetent and had issues communicating professionally to the donators, at this point the OYUA is practically out the doors but no devs are backing it, however the only games have seen look outdated, some more bizarre comments from Julie and team, and here we are?

I heard of the OYUA before this apparent fallout and it seemed like an okay idea. Maybe not the best, most cost effective way to play games, but a lightweight machine able to run small indie games or mobile 'quality' games? It sounds like a sane idea, an indie box can be cool I guess. But I assume the whole idea was ruined by bad management and design decisions? I'm aware of the laughing stock it is now, but was there ever a chance for the little thing from the get go?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

precision posted:

I have no idea why, but the ÜYA has a German Youtube channel. If you happen to speak German...

"This week, for once, we don't have a game to present to you."

"How will we get the games if we don't have a credit card?"

"Topolsky couldn't get anything out of Uhrman"

"We love watching Uhrman's energetic talks"

"Pleeeeeeaaaaaaaseeeeeeee go to our site"

That's it, there's absolutely nothing in there. Nothing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

gschmidl posted:

"This week, for once, we don't have a game to present to you."

"How will we get the games if we don't have a credit card?"

"Topolsky couldn't get anything out of Uhrman"

"We love watching Uhrman's energetic talks"

"Pleeeeeeaaaaaaaseeeeeeee go to our site"

That's it, there's absolutely nothing in there. Nothing.

Yeah, it took me about two listens to get it. And then I noticed Youtube has an "automatic translate caption BETA" button which provided hilarious results.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Avocados posted:

But I assume the whole idea was ruined by bad management and design decisions? I'm aware of the laughing stock it is now, but was there ever a chance for the little thing from the get go?

For the OYUA, given what I've seen from this team, not a chance in hell. But as an idea, it has merit. I mean, people mentioned this Gamestick kickstarter recently, that looks potentially promising. And it would amuse me to no end to see OUYA fail and this other one succeed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

precision posted:

The worst thing I would say about the original FF3 is maybe "it's too short" and "two of the dungeons are really hard". And one of them is short and you can just run from all the enemies.

I have no idea why, but the ÜYA has a German Youtube channel. If you happen to speak German:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPeNhqvvJC8

I'm not going to bother translating the whole video.

FF3 also had one of the worst balanced final bosses that basically required the 2 ninja 2 sage(?) party makeup to not die unless you grinded an obscene amount of levels.

Also FF1 was heads and shoulders better than FF2 or FF3, gently caress the haters. FF3's remake is on par with FF2's remake* for the title of shittiest FF game** ever released.

* more of a minor rebalance, removing useful bugs like the act->cance->keep skill/spell xp bug, but making stat gains a little less awful (agility's still bullshit) and giving automatic HP gains periodically to help cut back on the go-hit-yourself poo poo. Also no more stat decreases. Toad is still OP, Ultima still sucks if you didn't grind the gently caress out of its caster, and the game still drags on, with a bonus dungeon that drags on but is shorter and with larger jumps in difficulty.

** excludes the MMOs, otherwise FF14(v1) would have the title easily.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Avocados posted:

I heard of the OYUA before this apparent fallout and it seemed like an okay idea. Maybe not the best, most cost effective way to play games, but a lightweight machine able to run small indie games or mobile 'quality' games? It sounds like a sane idea, an indie box can be cool I guess. But I assume the whole idea was ruined by bad management and design decisions? I'm aware of the laughing stock it is now, but was there ever a chance for the little thing from the get go?
It is SANE to want to use it for very non-hardcore applications. It will likely be a solid emulator box.

A large percentage of their userbase thinks that it is the second coming of gaming, and that it will "take on the big three".

"Take on the big three" is not, by the way, a joke phrase. OUYA faithful use the phrase all the time.

Let me generate a real list of the reasons that it won't even approach the reality that the faithful think it will:

1. "It's going to have great indie support because it is so open!" - False. The install base is so low that you'd have to be nuts to sell things on it and expect a return. It is EXACTLY as open as Xbox Live Indie Games, so it doesn't have an advantage there.

1a. "XBLIG" doesn't support developers at all, it's hard to even find the Indie Game section. OUYA does by putting their games front and center!" - This is true! Unfortunately, what Xbox brings to the table is literally 500 times the install base (over 50 million). I don't care if you have to solve a Rubik's cube before you can get to the Indie Store, just having 500 times the eyeballs looking at it cannot be overcome through promotion.

2. "Developers can just port there games from iOS/Android over to this easily!" - Somewhat true, except that most android development is not controller-centric, but touch centric. While the OUYA controller has a touchpad, currently all this does is control a mouse pointer on screen, and it is absolutely no replacement for most tablets/phones.

3. "There's will free up developers to truly be creative as they have never been able to on any system before!" - There is a thing called the PC. If someone argues that Steam is overly restrictive, point out that indie darling Minecraft was sold almost entirely through his own website through most of development.

4. "It's the easiest way to play games on a TV!" - While it is slightly easier than Steam Big Picture mode (VERY slightly), there exist many 3rd party options that can do the same thing. It is notable that there are no other devices that are QUITE as powerful, cheap, and as simple to plug-and-play. However, except for extreme cases, 90%+ of the software that will ever be developed for OUYA would be playable on any Android-on-a-stick. Angry Birds does not need a Tegra3 processor to work.

5. "It's way cheaper than the other consoles!" - This would be true, IF they hadn't announced yearly updates to the console. This means that any software that hypothetically used the power of the Tegra4 they intend to put in the TWOYA would be an unplayable mess on the OUYA1, fracturing their userbase. This is also HIGHLY indicative of how they Do Not Think Things Through as a company. This announcement only hurt them in the public eye, and I don't think they got that.

6. "It has exclusive titles from major developers already lined up!" - Not really. It has vague commitments from several indie developers. I'll discuss each here:

I. Square Enix has stated that they will port the Android version of FF3 on the console. This is the worst FF mainline title, is a port of DS game that was a remake of a game from 1990, and is $15 on the Google Player Store. The last time Square mentioned this was July 31st of last year, and their President stepped down today, meaning they have probably stopped all risky development.

II. Enormous shithead Phil Fish has announced that he will be porting Fez to the console. The game has been out for a year already.

III. Minecraft has NOT been formerly announced for the console, even though Julie Uhrman claimed "Minecraft is on it" in the Kickstarter video. She has consistently lied.

IV. Robert Bowling has announced the prequel to his game "Human Element" will be an OUYA exclusive (not the game itself, but the prequel game). Robert Bowling is almost certainly a con man, and some people speculate his company doesn't actually exist.

V. OUYA announced "Console exclusivity" of the upcoming DoubleFine adventure game. This game has no release date as far as I can tell.

VI. The guy behind Words With Friends, David Bettner, has announced "a game" for OUYA. This is not a confirmation of anything.

VII. Kim Swift of Airtight games (makers of the decent, but uninspired) Quantum Conundrum have announced "a game" for the OUYA. There are no details.

I would struggle to call any of their other commitments "major developers".

Gearbox Studios, no stranger to cashing in on things, said THIS:

quote:

"I think Ouya is great. I contributed to it on Kickstarter; I have a dev kit. Some people are playing with the kits around the studio," Pitchford said. "I'm not sure how much effort to put towards that because...I don't how large that audience is going to be yet. And we have to be responsible."

That's a long enough post for now, I think. There's more to discuss about :
Fans with no ventilation
Store not being ready and it ships in 2 days
The lack of consideration for international sales/taxes when they're shipping to over 100 countries
Their recent BEGGING for titles from developers, implying they don't have very many
Julie thinking Stalagflight, a game you can play for free right now in your browser, is a "Must-have exclusive."
Literally claiming it would have a "Root Button", the dumbest thing anyone has ever said.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 26, 2013

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

kirbysuperstar posted:

Even better, he wants to put Windows on it so he can run loving Flight Simulator X or Aerofly or something. Because those are games known to have leniant system requirements and surely would run wonderfully on the loving PIKEYCIDER.

I love the obligatory "You can get Linux to run on your RELIGION IN THE SIMPSONS, so I don't know why you would even want Windblow$$$ :smug:" despite that he pretty clearly says in the OP why he wants windows on it, even if it's a terrible reason.

I'm expecting someone to tell him to use wine next.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

theflyingorc posted:

[ALL THESE WORDS]
This needs to be in the OP. I think this is the most concise writeup of the entire situation right now.

I really wish that Bob's Game had been announced for this system. That would have been the icing on the cake. Then again, maybe Robert Pelloni would have been upset that they took his idea for the nD.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

KillerMojo posted:

It was, and her tone was every bit as overconfident and fake as you'd imagine. Her ignorance knows no bounds, it fuels my interest in this shitshow almost entirely.

I've ceased any interest in the console; I'm completely vested in what Julie says next. The eventual insider expose is going to be hilarious.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

JazzFlight posted:

This needs to be in the OP. I think this is the most concise writeup of the entire situation right now.

I really wish that Bob's Game had been announced for this system. That would have been the icing on the cake. Then again, maybe Robert Pelloni would have been upset that they took his idea for the nD.

To be completely loving honest, the concept of the nD is a lot more alluring than the OUYA. Having something so cheap that would be included with other products is a legit idea, and he never claimed that resource heavy poo poo like Skyrim would be on it.

He's still totally loving nuts and/or trolling everyone, which shows how dumb OUYA is.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

5. "It's way cheaper than the other consoles!" - This would be true, IF they hadn't announced yearly updates to the console. This means that any software that hypothetically used the power of the Tegra4 they intend to put in the TWOYA would be an unplayable mess on the OUYA1, fracturing their userbase. This is also HIGHLY indicative of how they Do Not Think Things Through as a company. This announcement only hurt them in the public eye, and I don't think they got that.

It's also not really cheaper than the other consoles. If the ads I've been seeing on Hulu are to be believed, the XBox360 had a price drop to 99 dollars. Hmmm, at the same price, am I going to go for the 360, where I can get a nice huge library of AAA games I can get for cheap, or the SKY-PIE, which costs the same, has yearly updates, and has a nice huge library of wet farts?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It's also not really cheaper than the other consoles. If the ads I've been seeing on Hulu are to be believed, the XBox360 had a price drop to 99 dollars.

I think you have to commit to two years of crippling XBox Live subscriptions at $14.99, $99 + ($14.99 * 24) or $458.

Or four and half AWOOGAs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

It's also not really cheaper than the other consoles. If the ads I've been seeing on Hulu are to be believed, the XBox360 had a price drop to 99 dollars. Hmmm, at the same price, am I going to go for the 360, where I can get a nice huge library of AAA games I can get for cheap, or the SKY-PIE, which costs the same, has yearly updates, and has a nice huge library of wet farts?

Xbox is only 99 dollars if you do the stupid plan where its subsidized to hell and you have to swear your first child away and agree to buy xbox live for an extra fee for 3 years or something absolutely ridiculous like that.

I'm pretty sure some consumer site did the math and found out it ends up being more expensive. Like those "Free PCs" which have you watch ads every day and charge you a monthly fee or some poo poo.

That said, used 360s are cheap as dirt, and Wiis are seriously like $50, which is cheaper than the BABYBACKRIBS, and unlike the BARBAQUESAUCE the Wii actually HAS GAMES. Even a few good ones!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Uncle Jam posted:

To be completely loving honest, the concept of the nD is a lot more alluring than the OUYA. Having something so cheap that would be included with other products is a legit idea, and he never claimed that resource heavy poo poo like Skyrim would be on it.

He's still totally loving nuts and/or trolling everyone, which shows how dumb OUYA is.

Well yeah the price is appealing, but he also had absolutely no idea how it could even be done. He kinda just waved his hands over that so hard it started a tornado.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

theflyingorc posted:

IV. Robert Bowling has announced the prequel to his game "Human Element" will be an OUYA exclusive (not the game itself, but the prequel game). Robert Bowling is almost certainly a con man, and some people speculate his company doesn't actually exist.

Not former :iw: Robert Bowling, surely? Oh, it is! Actually, his line of bullshit goes well with the VERTICALITY. Even back in July comparisons were being made, though, for now, at least the OHISAY exists in some form.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

quote:

4. "It's the easiest way to play games on a TV!" - While it is slightly easier than Steam Big Picture mode (VERY slightly), there exist many 3rd party options that can do the same thing. While it is notable that there are no other devices that are QUITE as powerful and as simple to plug-and-play,

Except for pretty much any Android device made in the last year or so, of course.
Because all the Ouya is is stock Android with a lovely frontend and maybe some extensions for their lovely controllers maybe (which is superfluous since Android has native USB game controller support)?

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 26, 2013

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

NonzeroCircle posted:

Not former :iw: Robert Bowling, surely? Oh, it is! Actually, his line of bullshit goes well with the VERTICALITY. Even back in July comparisons were being made, though, for now, at least the OHISAY exists in some form.

I had no idea that he was such a terrible person that his face actually appears in an SA smiley. That's amazing.

Also, this video of him is a good display of why he is pure IDEAS MAN and has no actual talents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvzwpPgsD0s

Oh my goodness I hadn't watched the video in a while Walking Dead removes his main "HEY GUYS THE PROBLEM IN ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE IS THAT HUMANS ARE THE REAL PROBLEM NOBODY HAS DONE THAT BEFORE".

raditts posted:

Except for pretty much any Android device made in the last year or so, of course.
Whoops! I forgot to say that nothing quite hits the Triple Point of Price, Power, and ease of use. This was the dumb point that XboxPants kept clinging to. I'll clean up my previous post.

edit: I have a acquaintance who works at a small indie studio that is "partnering with Robert Bowling" to make an indie title. I need to ask him if they have literally talked to someone who is not Robert himself, it looks like his company might be just one person.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 26, 2013

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
So, guys, I heard the OUYA is not a promising Android home console system

Sex Beef 2.0 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 26, 2013

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I wish the OP had a list of every stupid name people have substituted for OUYA.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

JazzFlight posted:

code:
Gob's Program? Y/N

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hatbox Ghost posted:

I love the obligatory "You can get Linux to run on your RELIGION IN THE SIMPSONS, so I don't know why you would even want Windblow$$$ :smug:" despite that he pretty clearly says in the OP why he wants windows on it, even if it's a terrible reason.

I'm expecting someone to tell him to use wine next.

God. Just install QEMU or Bochs and then install Windows 7 under that. Surely that will get you great performance in FSX.

Forget the fact that the chipset in the KIA SPORTAGE has trouble running Jazz Jackrabbit nicely in Dosbox Turbo

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
It's the 27th here. Tomorrow is the rapture, at least calendar wise. I'm really surprised the RICKYGERVAIS people haven't made a delay announcement. Could they actually be shipping their product when they said they would? If they somehow manage that my guess is they'll all ship factory fresh from China and they'll be getting their first look at a "final" unit around the same time all the KS backers do.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zaphod42 posted:

Xbox is only 99 dollars if you do the stupid plan where its subsidized to hell and you have to swear your first child away and agree to buy xbox live for an extra fee for 3 years or something absolutely ridiculous like that.

I'm pretty sure some consumer site did the math and found out it ends up being more expensive. Like those "Free PCs" which have you watch ads every day and charge you a monthly fee or some poo poo.

That said, used 360s are cheap as dirt, and Wiis are seriously like $50, which is cheaper than the BABYBACKRIBS, and unlike the BARBAQUESAUCE the Wii actually HAS GAMES. Even a few good ones!

Oh, drat, didn't hear that part in the ads. Ah well, I have my PS3, that ran me a total of 150 bucks in 2011, new. Used, pretty much anything can beat the BUTTPLUG in terms of available titles in quantity and quality. And you'll get a real controller for at least 20 bucks less.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Oh, drat, didn't hear that part in the ads. Ah well, I have my PS3, that ran me a total of 150 bucks in 2011, new. Used, pretty much anything can beat the BUTTPLUG in terms of available titles in quantity and quality. And you'll get a real controller for at least 20 bucks less.

But will you get the satisfaction of sticking it to the big three that comes with owning a LEELOODALLASMULTIPASS? Will you be able to play Stalagflight without 50 open Chrome tabs interfering with it; a feat only possible on the ONLYTHELONELY? Or experience the rich, varied library of exclusive games for the JOHANN GAMBOLPUTTY DE VON AUSFERN- SCHPLENDEN- SCHLITTER- CRASSCRENBON- FRIED- DIGGER- DINGLE- DANGLE- DONGLE- DUNGLE- BURSTEIN- VON- KNACKER- THRASHER- APPLE- BANGER- HOROWITZ- TICOLENSIC- GRANDER- KNOTTY- SPELLTINKLE- GRANDLICH- GRUMBLEMEYER- SPELTERWASSER- KURSTLICH- HIMBLEEISEN- BAHNWAGEN- GUTENABEND- BITTE- EIN- NÜRNBURGER- BRATWUSTLE- GERSPURTEN- MITZ- WEIMACHE- LUBER- HUNDSFUT- GUMBERABER- SHÖNEDANKER- KALBSFLEISCH- MITTLER- AUCHER VON HAUTKOPFT OF ULM, such as that one shooter and a snes emulator?

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
Wait have they yet to reveal what their console actually looks like?

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

So, guys, I heard the OUYA is not a promising Android home console system

You heard wrong! It's a day one purchase for anyone interested in gaming.

That's what I would say if we lived in an alternate university where the Ouya wasn't an obvious scam.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

AllanGordon posted:

Wait have they yet to reveal what their console actually looks like?

Nope. They've promised the "finished" ouya box and controller with the brushed aluminum to the March 28th receivers, but they literally still have yet to show a single one outside of a computer render.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

NewtGoongrich posted:

That's what I would say if we lived in an alternate university where the Ouya wasn't an obvious scam.

Now to give the Ouya people credit, it's not a scam, they look to have no intention to run out with kickstarter backer money. It's just a dumb project started by overly idealistic morons that have no clue on what makes a successful console, so instead of at least running off to the Cayman Islands rich as gently caress, they are going to be broke and living in a house made of the plastic shells of dead Ouya consoles.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Now to give the Ouya people credit, it's not a scam, they look to have no intention to run out with kickstarter backer money. It's just a dumb project started by overly idealistic morons that have no clue on what makes a successful console, so instead of at least running off to the Cayman Islands rich as gently caress, they are going to be broke and living in a house made of the plastic shells of dead Ouya consoles.

It's not a scam in the "completely ripping you off and leaving you with nothing" sense, but it's still a scam in the "wildly overpromise and then massively under-deliver when reality comes knocking" sense.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Breetai posted:

Will you be able to play Stalagflight without 50 open Chrome tabs interfering with it; a feat only possible on the ONLYTHELONELY? Or experience the rich, varied library of exclusive games for the JOHANN GAMBOLPUTTY DE VON AUSFERN- SCHPLENDEN- SCHLITTER- CRASSCRENBON- FRIED- DIGGER- DINGLE- DANGLE- DONGLE- DUNGLE- BURSTEIN- VON- KNACKER- THRASHER- APPLE- BANGER- HOROWITZ- TICOLENSIC- GRANDER- KNOTTY- SPELLTINKLE- GRANDLICH- GRUMBLEMEYER- SPELTERWASSER- KURSTLICH- HIMBLEEISEN- BAHNWAGEN- GUTENABEND- BITTE- EIN- NÜRNBURGER- BRATWUSTLE- GERSPURTEN- MITZ- WEIMACHE- LUBER- HUNDSFUT- GUMBERABER- SHÖNEDANKER- KALBSFLEISCH- MITTLER- AUCHER VON HAUTKOPFT OF ULM, such as that one shooter and a snes emulator?

Thank you so much for reminding me.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

theflyingorc posted:

Nope, just check out OUYAforum.com!
Somebody tries to tell them it won't succeed, it goes very badly (proclick):
http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?1744-Reality-and-my-thoughts&p=12361#post12361

That thread is a bigger poo poo-show than a German bath house, goddamn.

e: here we go

Dreamzle posted:

The XBox 360 and PS3 lost this generation for a big reason
. Yup, those were both distant second to the... Wii? What? :psyduck:

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 27, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If you haven't sold the most consoles you have obviously "lost" the generation duh.

Whats that about software sales?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Avocados posted:

I walked in late on this thread and the OYUA debacle as a whole. I'm trying to piece it together from what ive read the past 15-20 or so pages. From what im gathering: Kickstarter happened, everyone got excited and chipped in, some time passed and apparently the people behind it were incompetent and had issues communicating professionally to the donators, at this point the OYUA is practically out the doors but no devs are backing it, however the only games have seen look outdated, some more bizarre comments from Julie and team, and here we are?

When this originally started I first heard about it from my nephew. I thought it sounded alright but I didn't investigate it as I wasn't that interested by it. Later I saw there was a thread on it and started looking closer. I noted that the kickstarter video was a professionally made marketing piece to portray the "OUYA team" as if they knew what they were doing. Everyone talked about their prototype (the board in the marketing video). I investigated the Tegra 3 chipset some more and I confirmed that the "prototype" was actually a dev kit board from NVidia. At that point it was clean they had nothing but an NVidia board and a controller made out of some lumps of wood. All smoke and mirrors.

Some discussion went on and then I started digging through NVidia documentation to figure out the potential power use and I confirmed that there was no way they could passively cool the chipset in such a small case. Then this thread turned up and the dev OUYA turned up with a heatsink and fan combo. Instead of a custom exhaust fan to get the heat out of the case.

That's OUYA from my perspective, ignoring all the comedy in between.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Devian666 posted:

When this originally started I first heard about it from my nephew. I thought it sounded alright but I didn't investigate it as I wasn't that interested by it. Later I saw there was a thread on it and started looking closer. I noted that the kickstarter video was a professionally made marketing piece to portray the "OUYA team" as if they knew what they were doing. Everyone talked about their prototype (the board in the marketing video). I investigated the Tegra 3 chipset some more and I confirmed that the "prototype" was actually a dev kit board from NVidia. At that point it was clean they had nothing but an NVidia board and a controller made out of some lumps of wood. All smoke and mirrors.

Some discussion went on and then I started digging through NVidia documentation to figure out the potential power use and I confirmed that there was no way they could passively cool the chipset in such a small case. Then this thread turned up and the dev OUYA turned up with a heatsink and fan combo. Instead of a custom exhaust fan to get the heat out of the case.

That's OUYA from my perspective, ignoring all the comedy in between.
You missed the part where the exhaust ports are on the bottom of the case. Unless I missed something in that OUYA Dev kit disassembly video.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

zylche posted:

You missed the part where the exhaust ports are on the bottom of the case. Unless I missed something in that OUYA Dev kit disassembly video.

YouTube comments never fail to amaze me. Because Benheck (who is known for taking stuff like PlayStations and making them "portable") posted it there are a multitude of people saying "make a PISSJUGS handheld".

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Beautiful Ninja posted:

It's a fool's errand, financed by fools.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

NewtGoongrich posted:

Thank you for the recommendation, good sir. Before I order an OUYA in the future, is it pronounced like the Kool-Aid Man's "ohhhhhh yeah!", Macho Man Randy Savage's "oewwww yeeeeee", or Wakka from FF10's "oh ya"? It is vitally important I do not sound like a tool ordering my Android video game console fueled entirely on Kickstarter money and exorbitant claims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

raditts posted:

It's a fool's errand, financed by fools.

Be careful, keep talking like this and before you know it Julie will be reporting that Cliff Johnson is developing for the OUYA.

• Locked thread