Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jam With Seeds
Dec 20, 2008

When Data learned to dream, he never thought it would end up like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Forgall posted:

That's how "Harry" is usually transliterated into Russian.

Actually, since there is no equivalent to the "H" in Cyrillic, they use the "ghe" instead. That's why the Soviet mission to Venus and Halley's Comet in 1986 was called "Vega". :ussr: :eng101:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

:getin:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

The entire thing is off, it's just a series of poorly composited layers arbitrarily blurred.

The thing is, it kinda works to give you the unsettled feeling and I have no idea if it's deliberate or not.

Oh, who am I kidding, it's not deliberate.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

GrandpaPants posted:

I feel as if I'll want all of these posters. Have there been any others in this series?

I am super stoked to see this, especially after learning that is has the same composer as Iron Man and Game of Thrones :fap:

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Much more excited to see this now

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I thought Jamie Foxx was the lead for White House Down.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Crowetron posted:

I thought Jamie Foxx was the lead for White House Down.

He's playing the President. Tatum is a cop who's on a tour of the WH with his daughter when the attack goes down.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Is this a sequel to "Black Hawk Down"?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cage posted:

Is this a sequel to "Black Hawk Down"?

No, the movie is actually a sequel to Collateral; after Jamie Foxx rises from lowly taxicab driver to POTUS, Tom Cruise comes back for revenge:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Red_Museum posted:

If you haven't seen Gosling's character you would never know what the gently caress this poster is. Took me several minutes to figure out what I was looking at.

AndyP posted:

. Tatum is a cop who's on a tour of the WH with his daughter when the attack goes down.

Die Hard?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I liked that trailer. Why? Because it wasn't packed to the brim with an insane, oversweeping Hans Zimmer-esque score.

It was dire and bleak and reflected the seriousness of the situation(s) that were happening.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Vagabundo posted:

The Riddick and Birdemic 2 posters have already come up before in this thread.

Meanwhile, a new one for White House Down.

Channing Tatum's arms don't look right.

Chin down, eyes up.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Red_Museum posted:

Based on the trailer and this poster, they are really trying to make it seem like 'Drive' or some gritty drama with intense action scenes.
After seeing the film, oh boy, people are in for a treat. Not a tasty one with those expectations. The backlash could be worse than with the people who thought Drive was going to be like Fast and The Furious. drat.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Kush posted:

Based on the trailer and this poster, they are really trying to make it seem like 'Drive' or some gritty drama with intense action scenes.
After seeing the film, oh boy, people are in for a treat. Not a tasty one with those expectations. The backlash could be worse than with the people who thought Drive was going to be like Fast and The Furious. drat.

Would you still recommend it on the catch that it's nothing like the marketing?

Eh, can't be worse than the last few actual Die Hard movies.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

AndyP posted:

Would you still recommend it on the catch that it's nothing like the marketing?

Sure. I appreciated what the director was trying to do with the triptych form but the last act wasn't as compelling as it should have been. It is kind of heavy and slowburn, but at least it is that with great actors, tense scenes and nice cinematography. The score is pretty good too, it gives the film a really unique feel at times, with the sweet piano theme from the trailer appearing at certain moments.
It's hard to talk about the film in depth without spoiling some major stuff so I recommend seeing it without any info beyond the trailer.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Kush posted:

Sure. I appreciated what the director was trying to do with the triptych form but the last act wasn't as compelling as it should have been. It is kind of heavy and slowburn, but at least it is that with great actors, tense scenes and nice cinematography. The score is pretty good too, it gives the film a really unique feel at times, with the sweet piano theme from the trailer appearing at certain moments.
It's hard to talk about the film in depth without spoiling some major stuff so I recommend seeing it without any info beyond the trailer.

Cool. I've really been looking forward to this one, so just as long as it doesn't suck.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Ryan Gosling in an arty slow burn film? :gizz:

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

DarkSol posted:

Actually, since there is no equivalent to the "H" in Cyrillic, they use the "ghe" instead. That's why the Soviet mission to Venus and Halley's Comet in 1986 was called "Vega". :ussr: :eng101:

Isn't the kha very similar to the H sound? I've only just began learning Russian, so this is a bit confusing to me. I know they tend to substitute an H with ghe, but I'm not sure why.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Isn't the kha very similar to the H sound? I've only just began learning Russian, so this is a bit confusing to me. I know they tend to substitute an H with ghe, but I'm not sure why.

No, Х is not very similar to the "h" sound. Х is more like the "ch" sound in "loch" or in "Bach". (The voiceless velar fricative vice the voiceless glottal fricative.) That said, while older loan words like "галлюцинация" (hallucination) uses the "ghe", newer loan words like "хобби" (hobby) do use the "kha". Even then, хобби does not sounds like exactly like hobby.

(I'm going to start avoiding using a "H" in this context, since that can be confused with the Cyrillic letter "Н" which is similar to the Latin "N") :psyduck:

DarkSol fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 27, 2013

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
Who cares about fricatives, it's funny to pretend Russians call him Fappin Potter. Thank you.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Couldn't you get away with just printing the name in English? Can most Russians read English phonetically?

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Mister Chief posted:

Couldn't you get away with just printing the name in English? Can most Russians read English phonetically?

Well, like I said in my reply to Zeppelin Insanity, the Cyrillic "Н" looks identical to the Latin "H" while meaning two different types of letters, "n" and "h" respectively. Furthermore, other Cyrillic letters look like Latin letters but mean completely different letters. "С" is an "S", "В" is a "V", "Р" is an "R"... and so on.

So, just printing the name in English could be potentially confusing.

And Russian handwriting gets things even more weird. :psypop:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I live for the day someone gets their Cyrillic and English mixed up and we end up with Nappy Potter.

Until then, Fapp'n Potter will do.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Okay, it's Jackie Brown time!

I like this a lot, do you happen to know the artist?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

jet sanchEz posted:

I like this a lot, do you happen to know the artist?

Here you go.

e: Okay this fan poster (not by the guy above) is just ridiculous and completely indicative of the retarded mentality behind most of these.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 27, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I can't wait to see the new movie Royale with Cheese starring Pulp Fiction!

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I want to make a pulp fiction poster, but I just can't remember themes or events from the film. I guess I'll just visualize famously trivial dialogue instead.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Mister Chief posted:

Yeah at least way more than English speakers read Cyrillic, but to some dummies it'd just read "Narru Rotteg".

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

White text on light pink :whatup:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Someone get that guy a job designing t-shirts for Target.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
With Royale Cheese

THIS SUMMER.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

What's really bad about these posters is when yo put them in context of these really inspired ones:

The only thing that comes to mind when I see this:

Edit: Now that I think about it "Superheroes on (usually rainy) ledges overlooking the city" could be it's own subgenre of movie poster.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 27, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Maybe I'm in the minority but even back when I was into comics I thought the whole Wolverine in Japan learning to be a samurai/ninja/whatever plot was absolutely terrible. I really have zero expectations for this movie.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority but even back when I was into comics I thought the whole Wolverine in Japan learning to be a samurai/ninja/whatever plot was absolutely terrible. I really have zero expectations for this movie.

Yeah I'm in this camp, I never read the comics but wolverine going to ~Japan~ and fighting a bunch of 18th century ninjas for some reason looks hokey as hell.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

This is kind of nice.

I'm getting excited about this movie, I like what they've put out so far.

e; isnt' the shadow backwards though? Is that supposed to be creepier somehow? it's a mystery.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
I know nothing about Wolverine and ninjas but I always thought he went to Japan before it was cool. Like in the 1800s or something. Then he had further adventures there but that was him going BACK.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

schwenz posted:

e; isnt' the shadow backwards though? Is that supposed to be creepier somehow? it's a mystery.
Shadow backwards? All I see is the shadow of a body that should be in the noose, but somehow isn't.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Shadow backwards? All I see is the shadow of a body that should be in the noose, but somehow isn't.

no. you're right, it's facing the right way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

casa de mi padre posted:

I know nothing about Wolverine and ninjas but I always thought he went to Japan before it was cool. Like in the 1800s or something. Then he had further adventures there but that was him going BACK.

He did the Japan thing during the 1980s back when I was still collecting X-Men, and it seemed pretty dumb. This must be before they decided to make him into a character from Highlander.