Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

https://twitter.com/playouya/status/317289645094367232

playouya posted:

Keep an eye on your inbox! The first @playouya shipment is en route and a steady flow will ship for the next several weeks. #ouyaGoesPostal
Several weeks to ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

XboxPants posted:

I know my opinion may not be worth much, but they really are quite comfortable to hold.
You could say that they're the... Stradivarius of controllers!

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Why yes, every cent of that 8.5 million dollars is going directly towards shipping your particular package directly to your doorstep in under an hour!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I'm still not convinced they cleared the consoles with the local custom agencies, so it will be at least a month.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Ahh, so they are doing the ship as they actually build working units method of production. I've been there, it's not exactly a happy place to be.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

This and the previous thread have done the math in the past, and as far as I can recall it's questionable that they could even produce the console for the kickstarter price.

This is why, in traditional investment, you sign an NDA and then OUYA shows you their cost estimates for the whole thing, where the difficulties, are, their full roadmap to release, etc, etc.

Kickstarter is a GREAT way to get money without having any due diligence.

edit:

ONE person on Reddit claims that theirs has shipped:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ouya/comments/1b5bha/sign_if_you_got_a_tracking_email/c942vw6

He literally claims to be backer #27.

Of note: If the highest number we see today is #1000, it will take them 2 months to ship out at this rate. Not saying it's going to happen, but we'll see.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 28, 2013

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

JazzFlight posted:

No, no, no! Remember, it's aluminum, which results in a "visceral" feeling when you hold the controller, according to Uhrman.

They signed a deal with 7-11 to manufacture the controllers with the same material they make Slurpee cups out of.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Jewel posted:

Why yes, every cent of that 8.5 million dollars is going directly towards shipping your particular package directly to your doorstep in under an hour!

In fairness, has OUYA discussed their release method as ship-as-they're-built in the past?

VVVVVV NO WHEEZING THE OUYA VVVVVV

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 28, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cabbagepots posted:

They signed a deal with 7-11 to manufacture the controller with the same material they make Slurpee cups out of.

At only 8 million dollars to make this console, I totally believe this is true.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

This is why, in traditional investment, you sign an NDA and then OUYA shows you their cost estimates for the whole thing, where the difficulties, are, their full roadmap to release, etc, etc.

Kickstarter is a GREAT way to get money without having any due diligence.
I unfortunately learned about crowd funding first from the Ouya, and at the time I was like "so it's like investing except that you don't have to tell the investors what you are doing with their money? Why on earth would anyone participate in this?"

Since then I found out that there are a lot of very responsible and successful crowd funded things out there, but it was a hell of a first impression.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

In fairness, has OUYA discussed their release method as ship-as-they're-built in the past?

What they've said is that the 28th is the date when they will "begin shipping" or "start shipping". http://www.ouya.tv/ouya-is-coming/ They could have made it clearer, though.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

XboxPants posted:

What they've said is that the 28th is the date when they will "begin shipping" or "start shipping". http://www.ouya.tv/ouya-is-coming/ They could have made it clearer, though.

But then they wouldn't be OUYA.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
So why do I have the feeling that the Ouya staff only had enough money to make like, one-fifth of the consoles and they are waiting for a surge of money from the app store to be able to make the rest?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

XboxPants posted:

"Guys, we've begun shipping! Every day, we will type one character of one backer's address into a UPS shipping label form. The day after we complete typing a full address, we will then print a shipping label for that backer. The day after that, we will box that backer's OUYA, tape the shipping label to that box, and then have a small dog leashed to the box and point him in the direction of the nearest UPS drop-off. The dogs were, surprisingly, only 10% of the backing money. Anyway, my point is you'll have your consoles by 2020, no problem."

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

XboxPants posted:

I'm not sure every backer has kept up with it and a lot are still going from their actually Kickstarter page when they pledged, which listed their estimated delivery as March. Estimated sure, but that was one of the things that stuck with people

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Oh, well that's a bit more open about it then. Still, as someone who has had to deal with ship as you build working product, it really blows. Because if you order X parts to build/ship, and as you produce your product, the Units in Debug number goes up, and you run out of parts, without meeting the total required. Just a terrible situation all around.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

MotU posted:

I'm not sure every backer has kept up with it and a lot are still going from their actually Kickstarter page when they pledged, which listed their estimated delivery as March. Estimated sure, but that was one of the things that stuck with people

They also repeated "Dev units in December, Backers in March" a lot of times.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

XboxPants posted:

That was posted on Feb 28, 2013. Long after it would have been apparent that there would have been delays. What does it say on the original Kickstarter? That's what matters.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

It's OK guys! As one vendor once had the balls to tell me, they're "building the car as they're driving it." That's a thing that some people think is a good metaphor to use when you can't deliver on something and aren't so good at the comm-unikatin' in a fancy business-like environment, and I'd definitely say the OUYA has a business-like environment.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

They also repeated "Dev units in December, Backers in March" a lot of times.

And I'm sure when they said "Shipping March 28th" people expected them to take 3-5 days for shipping, like most products, not several weeks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Beautiful Ninja posted:

So why do I have the feeling that the Ouya staff only had enough money to make like, one-fifth of the consoles and they are waiting for a surge of money from the app store to be able to make the rest?

This is exactly accurate.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

MotU posted:

And I'm sure when they said "Shipping March 28th" people expected them to take 3-5 days for shipping, like most products, not several weeks.

I think OUYA was just saying it's going to take them several weeks to send them all, not that they'll each be in transit for that long. The dev kits moved at a reasonable speed once they shipped.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

XboxPants posted:

I think OUYA was just saying it's going to take them several weeks to send them all, not that they'll each be in transit for that long. The dev kits moved at a reasonable speed once they shipped.

Why are you reading that post to mean literally in transit for several weeks?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

XboxPants posted:

In transit doesn't mean what you think it means. UPS and Fedex are way more efficient then Ouya could ever hope to be. Ouya just can't get their poo poo together because they literally don't have the money to make it happen. I wouldn't be surprised if people don't get their consoles ever.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

zylche posted:

Several weeks to ship.

I mean to be fair I think you'd have to be pretty dumb to think they're going to have a huge amount of units ready to ship on day 1.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

XboxPants posted:

Now I'm not aware of their production facilities. But when a company says it will take several weeks to ship a new product beyond the "ship day" it says to me that they don't have all the working product yet, and are still building it as they are shipping out in small quantities. Again, example from ship as you build production, where you build until you can't build anymore, then you fix and send those out as you fix them. It really sucks to be production in those situations, and I don't even know if the OUYA people could fix units as they go.

The Dave posted:

I mean to be fair I think you'd have to be pretty dumb to think they're going to have a huge amount of units ready to ship on day 1.

Maybe not the whole order, but if you've attached a ship date to something, you should probably have at least 50% of the units you need available to ship. Then again, I haven't dealt with a product with 60000 pre-orders.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 28, 2013

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Winks posted:

Why are you reading that post to mean literally in transit for several weeks?

I said come in! posted:

In transit doesn't mean what you think it means. UPS and Fedex are way more efficient then Ouya could ever hope to be. Ouya just can't get their poo poo together because they literally don't have the money to make it happen. I wouldn't be surprised if people don't get their consoles ever.

I misread MotU's post, I thought he was suggesting the units will be in transit for several weeks, and I was saying that wouldn't be the case.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Maybe not the whole order, but if you've attached a ship date to something, you should probably have at least 50% of the units you need available to ship.

More importantly, if you don't have a significant percentage of units ready to ship, it is your responsibility to communicate that fact to the userbase.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

The Dave posted:

Uhh...why. They said that they've been in production since early march. I don't actually know much about manufacturing, but considering the system has VERY few parts, and they're mostly off the shelf. 60k seems...pretty close to doable, doesn't it?

edit: As the other guy said, something like half would be at least reasonable, and it appears that they've gotten to about #27 so far today.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

XboxPants posted:

Nah what I meant was people hear shipping and they think "I'll get it in a few days after that". They wouldn't be thinking that their shipment will be delayed or anything, they'd expect them to be ready and have them in what would be considered an average timeframe based on past game purchases and the like. Hearing "It'll take several weeks for all units" would leave some backers going "what the hell" I am sure just because they aren't used to that.

Unless they are shipping them parcel-post out of China then they might be in transit for that long, that's how long it takes for me to get or send things.

Dec 26, 2012

Maybe not the whole order, but if you've attached a ship date to something, you should probably have at least 50% of the units you need available to ship.

Basically this. Except for the part where they were still finalizing software as of like yesterday, so...realistically it could hit the "real" release and still not have all of them out.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Now I'm not aware of their production facilities. But when a company says it will take several weeks to ship a new product beyond the "ship day" it says to me that they don't have all the working product yet, and are still building it as they are shipping out in small quantities. Again, example from ship as you build production, where you build until you can't build anymore, then you fix and send those out as you fix them. It really sucks to be production in those situations, and I don't even know if the OUYA people could fix units as they go.

I think that's fair.

On a slightly related note, if no one receives an OUYA by the end of the month, I'll admit they missed their ship date.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

So this was from March 21st, really should read their forum more often.
http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/969/odk-1-0-1-and-firmware-1-0-138

The Firmware change-log is:
  • Hidden secret stuff we didn't document :) Please explore thoroughly!
Undocumented firmware changes! :gonk:

As figured changing the ID kinda broke some things for developers.

Including the official function to check whether the hardware is OUYA or not :stare:

More issues.

:raise:

Oh they're working on Browser stability 5 days before launch. That's good.

But it's Saturday :(
Nevermind it's the week before launch of your game console or anything and devs are having issues.

Also that IAP thread has a new interesting comment added.

No analytics for IAP or any accountability at all? :magical:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

theflyingorc posted:

Uhh...why. They said that they've been in production since early march. I don't actually know much about manufacturing, but considering the system has VERY few parts, and they're mostly off the shelf. 60k seems...pretty close to doable, doesn't it?

Really depends. If your product is brand new, and being moved out the door early, then you could run into technical problems that your engineers haven't accounted for in production. In that case, problems with testing setups, debug problems, and all sorts of issues can slow you down.

Then again, I don't think the OUYA is breaking any incredible new ground, so maybe Engineering problems were not such an issue.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
libgdx is the official framework for the OUYA?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

edit: As the other guy said, something like half would be at least reasonable, and it appears that they've gotten to about #27 so far today.

#6777 posted his had shipped. Anyway, what you said is pretty fair. It looked to me like they submitted that controller for the FCC approval in January, so I would want to hope they've been building them for a while. Except... they've been working on new revisions of the controller through this month. How exactly does that work?

zylche posted:

So this was from March 21st, really should read their forum more often.
http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/969/odk-1-0-1-and-firmware-1-0-138

The Firmware change-log is:
  • Hidden secret stuff we didn't document :) Please explore thoroughly!
Undocumented firmware changes! :gonk:

Yeah, that was pretty goddamn ridiculous.

zylche posted:

so that IAP thread has a new interesting comment added.

No analytics for IAP or any accountability at all? :magical:

Who knows how well they'll deliver, but in the past Uhrman has promised devs will have access to all the analytics data OUYA has available.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 28, 2013

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

XboxPants posted:

I think that's fair.

On a slightly related note, if no one receives an OUYA by the end of the month, I'll admit they missed their ship date.

No, if they do't ship out 60k units by the date they said, they missed their ship date.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

XboxPants posted:

Who knows how well they'll deliver, but in the past Uhrman has promised devs will have access to all the analytics data OUYA has available.
And Minecraft.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

KillerMojo posted:

No, if they do't ship out 60k units by the date they said, they missed their ship date.

He's got you on a technicality. They never actually SAID that you'd get your consoles in March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

The Dave posted:

I think that if you don't have a huge amount of units ready for day 1, then you need to move your day 1.

• Locked thread