Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Twitch has a blog post up: http://blog.twitch.tv/2013/03/twitch-app-coming-on-ouya/

quote:

Twitch App Coming to Ouya

We’re wishing good luck to our friends at Ouya on their launch event at GDC tonight at 8pm PT. The Android-based Console was a Kickstarter phenomenon, and they start sending the first batch of consoles to Kickstarter backers starting today.

We’re proud to announce that Twitch will be among a select group of native apps on the Ouya upon launch. That’s right, Ouya will be the first console on the market to include a native Twitch viewing app. Sit back on your couch, fire up your new Ouya, and bring the full Twitch experience into your living room.

You may recall that last summer Microsoft announced the coming availability of a Twitch app for XBOX. We know that has been hotly anticipated by the Twitch community. Unfortunately, we ran into some development snags, but rest assured it is slated for release in May. You will be the first to know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Cool, can't wait to play all of those brand new OUYA games! Oh wait, I've already played Stalagflight, Wizorb, Canabalt AND Knightmare Tower, never mind.

Eh. One of the strengths of the BIG THREE RUINING GAMES by allowing people to spend millions of dollars making them (don't ask me how that works) is that "exclusives" are decreasing drastically. The reason to buy a new console now is more one of power and functionality rather than "will be the sole home of X." Even among the idiots that bray about how big companies spending big money on games is killing gaming every time a new title in a series does well, only a tiny few are going "and thats the fault of our existing platforms having good hardware."

Like I guess I can kind of see how if you are the type of idiot that fell for OUYA's "freedom" bullshit you could maybe see this game lineup as something other than a bunch of pathetic creatively bankrupt pandering, but if you have even a few functioning brain cells you will go "gee, I notice that a lot of the good games on this are also on steam/xbla/psn/wiiware" and realize that its not actually that loving hard to get a game with a modicum of work put into it onto one of the existing platforms. And that a new platform that offers absolutely jack and poo poo in the way of new features, is less powerful than the last generation of platforms, with an install base smaller than the micronation of Andorra, is not going to mean a drat thing.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.

So is native app mean that it is on there and can't be deleted?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Cabbagepots posted:

Try to imagine Snoop Dogg playing some terrible Javascript Tetris knockoff.

He's too busy playing his upcoming video game.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

illiniguy01 posted:

So is native app mean that it is on there and can't be deleted?

Not unless you press the root button!

*root button not included

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
"Let's go, then."
"We can't."
"Why not?"
"We're waiting for OUYA."
"...who gives a poo poo? Someone threw this old Gameboy into the ditch I was sleeping in last night."

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Website just changed significantly. It's happening. The OUYA is changing the world.

quote:

Start coding. Get famous.

If you’re the kind of person that has that killer game locked inside you, you can build games for OUYA, too. Our tools are free and come with every OUYA—no more excuses.

edit: June 4th date confirmed. Some backers might get their boxes like 2 weeks before schmucks who just walk into Gamestop.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 29, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

miscellaneous14 posted:

This is the concept that initially enamored me to the thing, that they were essentially saying "let's take a step back so that indie developers have room to grow, and middle-ground devs have a place where they aren't stuck making multi-million dollar projects". It's a shame the whole thing ended up being mismanaged hogwash though.

This still ignores the bigger issue that those two things were not a problem when you have XBLIG and XBLA respectively for consoles, and that you can make anything you drat well please on the PC.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

Website just changed significantly. It's happening. The OUYA is changing the world.
All you have to do is just tighten up the graphics on level 3

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
I'm so excited, their console is terrible but this party is going to be OFF THE HOOK

look at these sweet rear end tables:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

I'm so excited, their console is terrible but this party is going to be OFF THE HOOK

look at these sweet rear end tables:

Yeah there's very little traffic happening on that hashtag.

They have a support section on the site: http://www.ouya.tv/support/
It says you need to give them billing information in order to download any game. :gonk:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
What were the stakes of XBOXPant's toxx again? Doesn't he need to get his OUYA with finished controllers by the End of March?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Once you create a game, there is absolutely no way to ever delete or rename it, and you MUST use the .apk name you gave originally.

So, basically, if you name your game Wizard of Fakery: The StairHouse Adventure, and then say that it uses StairHous.apk, you will never be able to fix it ever.

There is also currently no way to change the entered credit card after you have entered it.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Wow, that's the most realistic looking light gun I've ever seen on the box front.

What a disappointment once you look inside.
Say what you will, but some of them had awesome gimmicks:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

zylche posted:

Yeah there's very little traffic happening on that hashtag.

They have a support section on the site: http://www.ouya.tv/support/
It says you need to give them billing information in order to download any game. :gonk:

I think that's actually a good thing, developers were happy way back when they first heard about it. They talked about it like was an issue that had come up on various platforms in the past and the industry had come to a consensus that this was the best way to approach things.

theflyingorc posted:

Once you create a game, there is absolutely no way to ever delete or rename it, and you MUST use the .apk name you gave originally.

So, basically, if you name your game Wizard of Fakery: The StairHouse Adventure, and then say that it uses StairHous.apk, you will never be able to fix it ever.

OK, they should have a namechange feature, sure, but why is the APK name an issue?

edit: Also it seems like the store is live. http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/1077/odk-1-0-2-and-firmware-1-0-158#latest

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
The post mortem on the OHNOMAN is going to be hilarious. The Gizmondo had more credibility than this thing. At least we knew what the Gizmondo looked like before it shipped to consumers.

I hope there's some decent press of that unveiling party. And I hope for at least three awkward nerd slapfights.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Pictures are coming out from the party and they've officially revealed the final design. Looks like they increased the size of the unit a bit, probably for cooling reasons?

https://twitter.com/BitterDiva/status/317468650539995136/photo/1

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

XboxPants posted:

OK, they should have a namechange feature, sure, but why is the APK name an issue?

edit: Also it seems like the store is live. http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/1077/odk-1-0-2-and-firmware-1-0-158#latest
It's not a huge deal, but it makes typos on their website become permanent.

Prices, I care about PRICES.

Wait, you can't tell the price of things from outside the games, can you?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

This is pretty much the only good thing to come from the OOLALA because they're also upgrading the regular Android app, which desperately needs an upgrade as is.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

XboxPants posted:

I think that's actually a good thing, developers were happy way back when they first heard about it. They talked about it like was an issue that had come up on various platforms in the past and the industry had come to a consensus that this was the best way to approach things.
That means that every OUYA user will be putting their billing information in. Even if they only want to download a free app. Imagine what will happen when they eventually get hacked, because you know they've not bothered with silly regulations on the credit card details.

XboxPants posted:

:psyduck: If a new dev calls their APK the wrong name they have to redo everything to fix it. Allowing you to change it is a basic option, but unsurprising given how they've approached everything else.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

edit: June 4th date confirmed. Some backers might get their boxes like 2 weeks before schmucks who just walk into Gamestop.

Gonna go out and get an Ouya on my birthday, nothing better to celebrate the slow encroachment of death

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I'm hoping they just told the factory "yeah send out another 60k to these people", forgetting they had promised the "retail" version would have the new cases so everyone gets the opaque piece of poo poo dev one.

VVV I had the exact same reaction. I searched the hashtag and when it clicked I thought "no loving way... :golfclap:"

Fooley fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 29, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

XboxPants posted:

Pictures are coming out from the party and they've officially revealed the final design. Looks like they increased the size of the unit a bit, probably for cooling reasons?

Holy poo poo did Xboxpants just tell a decent joke?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

zylche posted:

:psyduck: If a new dev calls their APK the wrong name they have to redo everything to fix it. Allowing you to change it is a basic option, but unsurprising given how they've approached everything else.
They actually can't redo everything if they got the name of the game wrong. You can't change it and you can't delete games. I think there's a guy on their forum having trouble with this right this second.

I'm really waiting for the part of the party where Julie slips on the ring and disappears to Rivendell.

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.

XboxPants posted:

That looks like a wild party!

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Yep, that is about the number of people that I would expect to be celebrating the "launch" of Ouya.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Holy poo poo did Xboxpants just tell a decent joke?

To be fair, with that image the joke pretty much tells itself.

I mean seriously.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Great, now I can pay to watch other people play good video games, since I won't be able to do that on my PAPAYA

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Red_Mage posted:

Eh. One of the strengths of the BIG THREE RUINING GAMES by allowing people to spend millions of dollars making them (don't ask me how that works) is that "exclusives" are decreasing drastically. The reason to buy a new console now is more one of power and functionality rather than "will be the sole home of X." Even among the idiots that bray about how big companies spending big money on games is killing gaming every time a new title in a series does well, only a tiny few are going "and thats the fault of our existing platforms having good hardware."

Like I guess I can kind of see how if you are the type of idiot that fell for OUYA's "freedom" bullshit you could maybe see this game lineup as something other than a bunch of pathetic creatively bankrupt pandering, but if you have even a few functioning brain cells you will go "gee, I notice that a lot of the good games on this are also on steam/xbla/psn/wiiware" and realize that its not actually that loving hard to get a game with a modicum of work put into it onto one of the existing platforms. And that a new platform that offers absolutely jack and poo poo in the way of new features, is less powerful than the last generation of platforms, with an install base smaller than the micronation of Andorra, is not going to mean a drat thing.

I agree that exclusives are a bad thing when they get out of hand, but why would I buy a console that only plays games I've played before or just didn't care enough to play? It doesn't win in power or functionality compared to a used 360, PS3 or Wii, so games are really the only draw it has left.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
There will be people at that party. 226 people paid $1337 for a dev unit and an invite +1 to that party.

The dev unit itself was $799. 226 people paid $538 dollars for the privilege to go to this party.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

There will be people at that party. 226 people paid $1337 for a dev unit and an invite +1 to that party.

The dev unit itself was $799. 226 people paid $538 dollars for the privilege to go to this party.

Yeah, it just hasn't opened yet.

Blue Rupie
Mar 25, 2013
edit: you guys beat me.

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.

XboxPants posted:

That picture sums up the Ouya launch perfectly

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
So the unveiling is happening at a dingy leather bar?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
"No, mom, stop calling me. I'm just standing in a dirty alley waiting to go to a party I spent thirteen hundred dollars on to see a one hundred dollar indie console get launched? No mom, I need you to do my laundry, I can't move out, it's a really hard job market. Alright, see you at breakfast, I want Captain Crunch."

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

XboxPants posted:

This party is going to be off the hooyuak.

Where are you getting the pics from? Gotta make sure you don't hold anything back. Also kudos on the good joke! Maybe there's hope for you yet.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm just catching up. Are you over there at the party xboxpants? Do update us on everything happening, thanks.

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
Would be very OHYEAH if they double booked the club with Chippendales. Bunch of women in the club wondering why all the strippers are ugly nerds hovering around a loving plastic cube.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Madcosby posted:

This party is going to be off the hooyuak.

Where are you getting the pics from? Gotta make sure you don't hold anything back. Also kudos on the good joke! Maybe there's hope for you yet.

Twitter, check the #ouyaunveil hashtag you should find most of it. Yves posted this one yesterday too:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Uhrman sighted!

• Locked thread