Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

It would appear that Fuji TV has had that Hiwou War Chronicles song from the arcade visit segments removed from Youtube, which sucks because I wanted to listen to the full version again just now. Is there any place I can buy/listen to the song?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
If you know it's title or who made it you could check Spotify if you can. No guarantee it's on there, but I've been surprised by them before.

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It absolutely wouldn't be "low cost" to put the game on the eShop. Just releasing the game at all requires licenses from Fuji TV, Namco and indieszero, and on top of that they'd have to pay indieszero to port the game to 3DS, and then there are all the hidden fees like minimum number guarantees or whatever.

I'm referring to the first game. The game's already localized. They would simply have to pay whatever fees Nintendo wants to put it on the eShop. That's it. This could be a way to judge the viability of working on the second one.

And they don't have to port any games to the 3DS. The 3DS has a DS slot built in. The DS hardware is there. It can play DS games. So by releasing a game like that on the eShop, it could be a DS title and the 3DS would be able to play it. They don't have to add anything to it.

And yeah, while everyone who is saying "it's impossible" probably is trying to be "realistic", I don't see anyone going "Yeah! Y'know what? I'm gonna contact them, and you guys should too!" Maybe this is why we didn't get the second game...

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Honestly, we're far more likely to get that translation of RGC2 than an actual release. I'd love to support them with actual cash dollars, but we're just going to have to get the translation patch for RGC2 and play it on flashcarts.

AzraelDarkheart posted:

And yeah, while everyone who is saying "it's impossible" probably is trying to be "realistic", I don't see anyone going "Yeah! Y'know what? I'm gonna contact them, and you guys should too!" Maybe this is why we didn't get the second game...

Well the first game came out before really a lot of people knew about GCCX. It came out here in 2009. We've pretty much gone past the window to get any serious interest in it. It's the same as trying to get a new season of Firefly produced.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The EU market never actually got RGC1 either, so it's not like that game was readily available to the west. It was a niche title based on a show no one knew about available to 50% or so of the western market.

I admire the gusto you have for getting it translated, but you're definitely 4 years late and I believe someone said Nintendo don't offer any DS games on their 3DS eShop. If we're to consider how much of a revenue stream a DS game market could be for them on that thing, you'd have to assume there's a reason why they don't sell DS games for digital download.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

It would appear that Fuji TV has had that Hiwou War Chronicles song from the arcade visit segments removed from Youtube, which sucks because I wanted to listen to the full version again just now. Is there any place I can buy/listen to the song?

That's weird that Fuji would put a copyright claim on it when Hiwou War Chronicles originally aired on NHK. You would think it would be NHK putting the copyright on it

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

AzraelDarkheart posted:

I'm referring to the first game. The game's already localized. They would simply have to pay whatever fees Nintendo wants to put it on the eShop. That's it. This could be a way to judge the viability of working on the second one.

And they don't have to port any games to the 3DS. The 3DS has a DS slot built in. The DS hardware is there. It can play DS games. So by releasing a game like that on the eShop, it could be a DS title and the 3DS would be able to play it. They don't have to add anything to it.

It's not as simple as you think. The game is already localized, but their publishing agreement wasn't for digital distribution, so they would need to negotiate with Fuji TV, indieszero, and Namco all over again to come to a new agreement for their new distribution method. And although the 3DS has DS hardware in it, it's not like you can just slap a game on the eShop and then it'll work. You still need to rework some of the code to get the 3DS to recognize it as a game at all, and that means paying someone to do it and paying someone to test it.

So it's not really "impossible," per say, but it's so unlikely that it might as well be. Contacting Xseed about it doesn't hurt anything, but don't get your hopes up, because it's very unlikely that anything will come of it.

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*

Ineffiable posted:

Honestly, we're far more likely to get that translation of RGC2 than an actual release. I'd love to support them with actual cash dollars, but we're just going to have to get the translation patch for RGC2 and play it on flashcarts.

Well the first game came out before really a lot of people knew about GCCX. It came out here in 2009. We've pretty much gone past the window to get any serious interest in it. It's the same as trying to get a new season of Firefly produced.

Yeah there's not really any chance of the DS game being localized at this point, the only possible thing I could see is a release on the Wii or 3ds shop and as has been said I don't think that's actually something they currently do. If the show picks up well in the west and gets enough support then we might be more likely to see some products like that in the future (it's a shame that they were still unknown when the first game was released). I would suggest putting your effort into promoting the show, and if you really want to play the second game then support the fan translation team as well. And support our own team too, the only reason Zari-Gani makes the occasional mistake is because she could only afford to have one hand replaced with a Japanese-English dictionary as she needs the other one to hold a pencil for all the amazing fan art. And poor Random Stranger is on the verge of an aneurysm. He eats with a stopwatch to make sure each chew is properly timed.

If you wanted to be really ambitious then maybe you can convince them to try a kickstarter or something to get some form of official release, but with the costs and troubles involved I don't see it being a success at this point even if you did manage to convince them to try. The show still needs a lot more recognition.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Aurain posted:

You'd be better off sending messages of support to the people doing the fan translation. I'm sure they'd love to know that their work is highly appreciated and anticipated.

Oh, okay then. Do your best, zari-gani!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

AzraelDarkheart posted:

Sure, or maybe it's because of ALL OF THE OTHER REASONS PEOPLE ALREADY BROUGHT UP. We're not living in a Disney movie. Wishing on a star doesn't really work. You're not getting that pony for your birthday.

I get that you've got a fresh new account and are eager to mobilize a Goon army to change the face of the internet, but it's not going to happen at this point.

bpc908 posted:

That's weird that Fuji would put a copyright claim on it when Hiwou War Chronicles originally aired on NHK. You would think it would be NHK putting the copyright on it

I think I remember seeing a video someone made that had video clips from the tamage segments going on while the song played, so that might be the reason.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Random Stranger posted:

Time for a bit of a side trip. During a Genki TV marathon broadcast Arino appeared for an extended interview segment where he talks all about his US fans. Are you ready to know what he says about you?

This bonus was brought to you by zari-gani who can translate for 34 hours straight. And now we've got proofreading by the indomitable Hirayuki.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 341.33 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

Huh. I never knew dropping the original Famicom's hard-wired controllers could crash the game. All the more reason to be glad I went for the AV Famicom I guess.

EDIT: VVVVV Yeah, but the controller?

Tobaccrow fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 30, 2013

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Tobaccrow posted:

Huh. I never knew dropping the original Famicom's hard-wired controllers could crash the game. All the more reason to be glad I went for the AV Famicom I guess.

It's the same with any old console, really. Jiggle the system around or touch the cartridge an you risk screwing it up.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Gutcruncher posted:

It's the same with any old console, really. Jiggle the system around or touch the cartridge an you risk screwing it up.

To be more specific, just any movement that might wiggle the contact points between the cartridge, and the cartridge slots, and you can crash pretty much any game. I wish they designed some of the older consoles with locks to prevent this, like what the original Gameboy has.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

This good-not-great rip of the first soundtrack on Niconico is the best I can do for you (and I have done a fair bit of searching): http://www.nicozon.net/watch/sm746081

I've had the CDs in my Amazon jp cart forever, but they're out of print so I have to buy from a third-party, but they never ship internationally so I just get lazy about it.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Gutcruncher posted:

Sometimes we used to pull the Nintendo out on the floor so the controllers would reach across the room. Then someone would step near the console, and the mild vibrations emanating out from the footstep would crash the thing.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Thanks for the low-down. The sequel sounds like it's more creatively designed than the first game, at least.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gutcruncher posted:

Super Demon Returns (Super Game Computer): Demon Returns but bigger, prettier, and all around awesomer. Has a save feature so you can skip ahead to stages you have already played. Even the title screen is all Mode7 and poo poo!

I know it's meant to be the "SNES/Mega Drive" entry but that game honestly looks more like something some rear end in a top hat whipped up in Game Maker. It's a hell of an eyesore, which is disappointing considering how good most of the other games look.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

To be more specific, just any movement that might wiggle the contact points between the cartridge, and the cartridge slots, and you can crash pretty much any game. I wish they designed some of the older consoles with locks to prevent this, like what the original Gameboy has.

Another thing that can happen when you are bit violent with the controllers is that it may appear to the console that both left and right, or up and down, are pushed simultaneously, which is not supposed to be possible and crashes some games in some situations.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

bpc908 posted:

This was the link, near as I can tell (it disappeared from my Watch Later automatically): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwhBg-7nK4k

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Great segment. I love how people are mystified by his popularity overseas.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Crotch Bat posted:

Great segment. I love how people are mystified by his popularity overseas.

I was kind of wondering are they really that mystified or just hamming it up for TV. Especially that middle guy seemed like his whole schtick is to shout and yell loudly. I mean, surely they do some research on what to talk about with their guests?

But I did love the old guy looking puzzled the whole time going "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Azazell0 posted:

I was kind of wondering are they really that mystified or just hamming it up for TV. Especially that middle guy seemed like his whole schtick is to shout and yell loudly. I mean, surely they do some research on what to talk about with their guests?

But I did love the old guy looking puzzled the whole time going "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Arino is in a TV show where he plays video games for hours. People watched him in person play video games for 24 hours straight. He came to America because he plays video games on TV. People from that foreign country recognize him even though all he does is play video games on TV. This show is incredibly absurd so yes, they are that mystified.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shock and bewilderment is pretty standard fare for Japanese variety TV and interviews. I once watched a segment of people completely mesmerized by the fact that schoolchildren in I think Fukushima shouted "Yaa!" and stood up in unison when they kicked off school baseball practice, it was kind of surreal how blown their minds were by this inconsequential nuance of the schooling in that prefecture. I think we culturally would have had less of a "mind=blown" reaction if the pope came out as openly gay.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

AzraelDarkheart posted:

None of this is feasible. Nintendo does not have a digital distribution service that supports DS games, XSEED's original licensing arrangement would not allow them to freely re-release the game whevener they want, they may not necessarily even own the rights to their own localisation.

Even just printing another run of carts with no changes whatsoever would require cooperation from Fuji TV (the owners of the GCCX/RGC IP), Namco (the owners of the publishing rights to the game) and indieszero (the developers), all of which is time-consuming and potentially expensive to negotiate, and that's assuming they even care enough to go through with it, which they may not.

quote:

We didn't get the second game because XSEED doesn't want to bring it over, it's not for lack of interest from the fans. They are asked specifically about RGC2 in every interview they do and they repeat their complete disinterest every single time. We're not being defeatist, we're just speaking from experience.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Another thing that can happen when you are bit violent with the controllers is that it may appear to the console that both left and right, or up and down, are pushed simultaneously, which is not supposed to be possible and crashes some games in some situations.

This would pretty much never would cause a crash (aside from it being nearly impossible to do on a controller that's in one piece), just odd behavior (moving in a direction you're not facing or bugging out menus). At the most it might softlock your game, not cause a hardware issue.

If a game crashes it's because the cartridge and its connector lost their connection. It happens much more in dirty consoles, and since they don't clean the games on GCCX with 20-year-old consoles it's bound to be an issue.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Keyboard Kid posted:

If a game crashes it's because the cartridge and its connector lost their connection. It happens much more in dirty consoles, and since they don't clean the games on GCCX with 20-year-old consoles it's bound to be an issue.

I am dead certain that those console and carts are as clean as a whistle. If they didn't check and clean everything before they started shooting then it would lead to unexpected production delays..

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
You can only prepare for so much, they had a fds burn out the belt while shooting

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

I am dead certain that those console and carts are as clean as a whistle. If they didn't check and clean everything before they started shooting then it would lead to unexpected production delays..

Suda makes sure to clean every cartridge by hand with only the best screwdriver.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Azazell0 posted:

I imagine it's a little column A, little column B. In our little world Arino is king but in the vast sea of Japanese comedy he's nothing more than a medium-sized tuna at best. For him to be openly recognized in a foreign country is a huge deal and for foreigners to be drat near half his Twitter followers is another one that such an insular culture would be puzzled by.

"Ehhhhhh?" is a second-nature reaction for any Japanese person for well, anything, but in this case it really is warranted.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Random Stranger posted:

Watch the beginning of Super Mario World? I'm sure they probably turn it on and see that it works, but they're probably not using some real cleaning stuff.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

I imagine it's a little column A, little column B. In our little world Arino is king but in the vast sea of Japanese comedy he's nothing more than a medium-sized tuna at best. For him to be openly recognized in a foreign country is a huge deal and for foreigners to be drat near half his Twitter followers is another one that such an insular culture would be puzzled by.

"Ehhhhhh?" is a second-nature reaction for any Japanese person for well, anything, but in this case it really is warranted.

I would imagine they're familiar with bringing stuff from our tv shows and movies, but they also know it's incredibly rare for Japanese media to penetrate the western market.

Biggest thing they bring over here is Studio Ghibli films and we tend to remake a lot of their popular films for our audiences (The Ring/Grudge). But they get dubbed/subbed Seinfeld, Friends, Star Wars, Disney, Pixar films, 24, and more.

So I'd imagine they realize how a good portion of Japanese people could know who Harrison Ford or Clint Eastwood is, but it would be hard for an American to name 5 Japanese actors.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

This was the link, near as I can tell (it disappeared from my Watch Later automatically): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwhBg-7nK4k

I'm assuming it was the clip from the soundtrack playlist that zari-gani put together because when I watched it, it was just pictures of Game Centers Arino went to

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I always find it funny how Ken Watanabe always seems to come up when this topic is discussed by Japanese people. Was he actually very well known in Japan before he started appearing in American movies?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I think it'd be drat near impossible for the average American to name 2-3 Japanese actors let alone 5. Ken Watanabe is the most recognizable but his name alone isn't that well known and after that you're basically depending on them to know Toshiro Mifune, Sonny Chiba, or Beat Takeshi. Maybe there's a handful who could be recognized for their work as minor characters like Hiroyuki Sanada(The Last Samurai, Lost) or Chiaki Kuriyama(Kill Bill) but would have no chance at being named.

And then after that the only other ones would be Downtown/the Gaki crew for their batsu exploits or the chinko machine clip and then Arino. This GCCX thing is still a hell of a niche but it's a very dedicated overseas fanbase and thus makes him recognizable, even on a minor scale, which is more than about 99.9% of all other Japanese celebs can say.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011
I think Crotch Bat is spot on. I don't think Yoiko is that huge a comedy duo, so his cultural penetration, however relatively small, is still pretty impressive, if not at all surprising to his foreign fans.

Crotch Bat posted:

I think it'd be drat near impossible for the average American to name 2-3 Japanese actors let alone 5. Ken Watanabe is the most recognizable but his name alone isn't that well known and after that you're basically depending on them to know Toshiro Mifune, Sonny Chiba, or Beat Takeshi. Maybe there's a handful who could be recognized for their work as minor characters like Hiroyuki Sanada(The Last Samurai, Lost) or Chiaki Kuriyama(Kill Bill) but would have no chance at being named.

If pressed for Japanese actors, I would certainly name Mifune, Chiba, and Takeshi, but I'd also bet that a decent number of people would pull out names like Rinko Kikuchi, Mako, and of course Miyoshi Umeki. Strangely enough, Ken Watanabe just never comes to mind, despite always coming up regarding these things. Maybe I've just unintentionally avoided everything he's been in.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Mister Chief posted:

Suda makes sure to clean every cartridge by hand with only the best screwdriver.

Oh my, I had forgotten about that. When I saw that I remember actually calling out to the TV and yelling at him.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012
Should we count Mako or is the fact that he's an actor in Western films and shows (i.e., good ol' Uncle Iroh) exactly the opposite of what we'd think? Because I'd still say Jackie Chan is a famous Chinese actor.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Now that I think about it the most recognizable Japanese person to Americans is almost certainly Ichiro Suzuki.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Crotch Bat posted:

Now that I think about it the most recognizable Japanese person to Americans is almost certainly Ichiro Suzuki.

Hideo Nomo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Crotch Bat posted:

Wrong, it is Super Dave's friend Fuji.