Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mr. Beefhead posted:

Because I want something like XBMC that has a beautiful interface, is extremely customizable, doesn't require crap like Itunes to be installed to work properly, and supports every file format under the sun. The Apple TV is fine for what it is I guess, but it's not for me.
I thought you could install XBMC on an AppleTV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Older models (you'd have to buy used), and then it only supports up to 720p.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

nessin posted:

Why does someone buy bottled water instead of a filter? Why does someone buy Darigold brand milk even if Lucerne brand is cheaper? How the hell do 8 different brands of shaving cream exist at the same price level?

What the gently caress point are you trying to make here?

quote:

At least in your example you can say the XBox 360 may have higher quality games but they're more expensive, getting harder and harder to find as they get older, and you require a annual fee to access stuff you could get free from the Ouya.

1) What Xbox 360 games are hard to find?

2) As they get older, they get cheaper too. If we're going to go with Xboxpants's "FF3 should set the standard at $15" statement, there are literally hundreds of games you can get right now at that price or lower. Even if you go with a price point of $5 which some of the initial offerings seem to be using, there are still hundreds. Add XBLA to that and you're probably in the thousands. XBLIG is probably closer to the level of what you're likely to get on the Ouya and most of those games are a dollar. You don't need an annual fee to access any of that.

3) That annual fee also gets you online multiplayer, which the Ouya... might have at the end of the year?

4) Speaking of fees, your credit card information is almost certainly safer with Microsoft than Julie Uhrman, and I wouldn't give my info to MS. Not to mention that you don't need to give them your info if you don't want to, while it's apparently required if you want anything the Ouya has to offer. Oh, and there's also that thing where they've already demonstrated that if you get wrongly charged due to their fuckups, then you might get your money back in a few weeks... y'know, when they get around to it.

So again, what was your point?

Mirthless posted:

Except literally all the hardware and the operating system of the device were already existing, on the market, prior to the kickstarter ever even starting? If they didn't spend the last 8 months trying to make Android actually work for a game console, what the gently caress were they doing?

Roping in suckers with "indie revolution" rhetoric and pretending that what they have is somehow different from your average Android device. Hence why, among other things, they spent some non-zero amount of time having poorly-functioning controllers produced and implementing them for a device that already has built-in controller support.

To access what? If you want to watch streaming media why are you buying an OUYA instead of a Roku which is the industry leader and can also play its own crappy Android-quality games?

It requires an XBL commitment but you absolutely can buy an Xbox 360 for 100 bucks.

Less, if you're willing to buy used. I just bought one off a goon a couple weeks ago for $80 to use mainly as a media player / cable box. There's also that bonus where I can play games that aren't dogshit on it with a functioning controller if I'm so inclined.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 31, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

nessin posted:

Why does someone buy bottled water instead of a filter? Why does someone buy Darigold brand milk even if Lucerne brand is cheaper? How the hell do 8 different brands of shaving cream exist at the same price level? At least in your example you can say the XBox 360 may have higher quality games but they're more expensive, getting harder and harder to find as they get older, and you require a annual fee to access stuff you could get free from the Ouya.

It's interesting that you can try and apply logical thinking to the decision to buy an Ouya in a thread with a history of logically trying to answer how the thing wouldn't even work, or how there is no reason it could ever raise the money it did on Kickstarter, and yet here we are...

I've bought a couple Xbox 360 games that came out within the first 12 months of the system, they weren't hard at all to find, and this was within the last year. Some of them have digital download versions too.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

You can, but unless you have a bunch of video in some crazy anime format, there's really nothing wrong with the stock software, either. There's even apps out there that will transcode stuff and stream to it without needing to use iTunes or have everything in H264. It's also $10 cheaper than the Ouya right now.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

There's also perfectly good video players for Android that don't require some kind of beefy hardware to actually run. The idea that you'd need certain system specs for a goddamned media player seems rather bizarre to me.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 31, 2013

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

davejk posted:

You can, but unless you have a bunch of video in some crazy anime format, there's really nothing wrong with the stock software, either. There's even apps out there that will transcode stuff and stream to it without needing to use iTunes or have everything in H264. It's also $10 cheaper than the Ouya right now.

The Apple TV is fine for people who live in Apple world with their iTunes and iPhones and iPods and iPads and AirPorts and all that stuff. If I used or owned any of that stuff it might make sense to buy an Apple TV, but I don't. Making a stock Apple TV function on it's own outside of Apple world requires, as you pointed out, things like transcoding, which means everything looks like poo poo. If I didn't care about video quality I'd just buy a $50 Roku and use Plex or Netflix.

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

raditts posted:

There's also perfectly good video players for Android that don't require some kind of beefy hardware to actually run. The idea that you'd need certain system specs for a goddamned media player seems rather bizarre to me.

Go check out a video of the interface of XBMC in action. Even if you don't see the attraction, you'll have to admit that it's a big enough leap from a plain Android media player to be worth the extra hardware needed for some people. It's like, I have trouble understanding why some people want to spend extra on a fancy car just to get from point A to point B, but when I compare a BMW to my Honda I can clearly see how if the BMW is what you wanted, my Honda wouldn't even compare.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

theflyingorc posted:

From a thread on OUYAForum, somebody posted this:
And Dreamzle, who they treat like a bit of a rockstar sometimes because he's worked IN THE INDUSTRY:

quote:

I'll put this here for discussion: my game is currently $8, and I may raise that to $10 - I chose this price level as higher than what I was seeing other games go for because I consider my game more than just a simple 5 minute experience or arcade game or cell phone port, it's more of the console experience with a linear game with save points and stuff. I didn't go any higher than $10 and am still debating the price raise to that because as I've only worked on this game full time for 6 months by myself, it may not have as long gameplay as one would expect for a $12 to $15 game (I really wanted a level designer during the game's production, so I could have had 3 more "dungeons", and longer ones, but alas, I couldn't afford one and had to do it all myself).
http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?1875-What-s-the-average-cost-of-games-of-the-ones-in-the-store-right-now
This is especially funny because I thought, "oh, he must be the developer of a game that was higher quality and available on other systems that just got ported to the OUYA."
Nope, he's the developer of this "game":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KniKH9Yfl5Y

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

This is especially funny because I thought, "oh, he must be the developer of a game that was higher quality and available on other systems that just got ported to the OUYA."

Holy poo poo, I laughed way to hard at the scrolling text at about 1 minute in auto word wrapping around as words completed on the edge.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 31, 2013

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
The amount of schadenfreude generated by this "console" totally gives meaning to its existence. And for that, I thank Julie.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

JazzFlight posted:

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?1875-What-s-the-average-cost-of-games-of-the-ones-in-the-store-right-now

Ten loving dollars for that? I'd get more entertainment at the same price by goatseing GBS. It's an arcade game that would have bene lame in the 1990's, with terrible music. If this is the average for the OUYA library... Well, this thread's gonna feel very vindicated.

The saddest part is that the guy spent six months working full time on this, a thing that will never turn a profit.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

The hardware that'll run xbmc on android is entry level. I ended up adding xbmcandroid to my droidstick and it runs pretty smoothly. You really don't need anything special. Using a droidstick is a much better option than building/buying a PC for HTPC use.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

FrozenVent posted:

Ten loving dollars for that? I'd get more entertainment at the same price by goatseing GBS. It's an arcade game that would have bene lame in the 1990's, with terrible music. If this is the average for the OUYA library... Well, this thread's gonna feel very vindicated.

The saddest part is that the guy spent six months working full time on this, a thing that will never turn a profit.

Every dollar is profit because he farmed the mats made the game by himself. :downs:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

JazzFlight posted:

I love this comment attempting to defend it:

averystrangeguy4378 posted:

First of all, its an alpha you little ships.Second, look at all the layers of space and stars below, and how they move, it's pretty cool.Third, this needs work for coding, 3d modeling, graphic and texture creation, button mapping, ui mapping, and more, so stop being idiots, game creation is harder than you think.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mirificus posted:

Alright so it needs work in every area that could make it a game, the concept is kind of lame to begin with, but hey, that background picture from nasa.org is really cool ok?

OUYA.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So is it or is it not an Alpha. I get that the setting is called Universe Alpha, but there's no way that would be getting praise if it was a finished title, or even a Beta, right? Right? :negative:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
He also uses a lame Zelda joke/meme. gently caress him.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

So has anyone found a set top Android device with a tegra 3 chip inside? It's why I still have the ouya on preorder.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

XboxPants posted:

Thanks a lot for this explanation. :) I did know a little bit about it, I read up on it when I was adding normal mapping to Minecraft (which was ridiculous), but I didn't want to try to talk about it and screw it up.

Can you share a little bit more about why it doesn't make things more complex for shadows? I guess... does the normal map of a given texture only affect the shading on that texture, so you don't have to worry about interactions, something like that?

It's like texture mapping for lighting, so the textures are dynamically painted with shading depending on the light source. So you can add texture detail that looks 3D even though it's painted on a flat surface, or make a bunch of flat surfaces look like a smooth curve, and it'll look right and shade like real detail as you move around lights. It doesn't add to shadows because the actual 3D models don't have any extra detail, so there are no extra shadows to cast.

You can only simulate so much depth and height before it becomes an obvious visual trick, and if you paint a normal map that looks like a nice smooth curve on a blocky object, you'll still see the blocky silhouette because that's the real geometry. It's used a lot in low-poly games, for stuff that's meant to run on low-end hardware, because it means you can use very basic models that render easily, and fake the detail without the performance hit. Basically it's not really impressive to see it in a game here.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
^^^ edit: gently caress! What are the chances someone else replies to a pages old technical question at the same time I do? :suicide:

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

So is it or is it not an Alpha. I get that the setting is called Universe Alpha, but there's no way that would be getting praise if it was a finished title, or even a Beta, right? Right? :negative:
In the Ouyaverse all games are alphas. This is why some people know it as... Universe Alpha.

XboxPants posted:

Thanks a lot for this explanation. :) I did know a little bit about it, I read up on it when I was adding normal mapping to Minecraft (which was ridiculous), but I didn't want to try to talk about it and screw it up.

Can you share a little bit more about why it doesn't make things more complex for shadows? I guess... does the normal map of a given texture only affect the shading on that texture, so you don't have to worry about interactions, something like that?
Normal maps don't have shadows because they're not real geometry and standard (computationally cheap) dynamic shadow methods require polys to know where the shadows go. Most game use static shadow maps in combination with normal maps to make them look good, but they aren't dynamic so you can't have a moving light source.

There are ways to have shadows from height maps. One is to use more complex shaders to self-shadow the surface in question (ie, the height map only casts shadows on itself, and a shadow cast on another object will be smooth). This has strong performance limitations with current hardware, and the Ouya doesn't have the power to do it. The other method is to actually tessellate and displace the geometry of an object based on a height map to produce polys that can cast real shadows. This has distance-related visual drawbacks depending on exactly how you're using it, but the Ouya doesn't have the power to do it.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 1, 2013

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

So has anyone found a set top Android device with a tegra 3 chip inside? It's why I still have the ouya on preorder.

What's so special about Tegra 3? Is there some reason any number of A9 SoCs wouldn't work?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

No I haven't found one at all.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mirificus posted:

quote:

Second, look at all the layers of space and stars below, and how they move, it's pretty cool.

Somebody should introduce him to ulililia and blow his mind.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Winks posted:

What's so special about Tegra 3? Is there some reason any number of A9 SoCs wouldn't work?

The Tegra3 can't even run Ninja Village on high graphics setting smoothly, that's why its special!

(I found this out today much to my dismay)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I don't think there are set-top Android devices that aren't Google TV devices, and no, none of them have a Tegra 3 chip (what they do have, however, is an HDMI passthrough that lets you overlay it on your TV signal). You could just as easily use a tablet that has HDMI out, though.

What exactly is so important about the Tegra 3 chip, though? I doubt you would need its power to run SNES emulators or pixel art twin stick metroidvanias or 3D games that look like they were ported from the Atari Jaguar.

Uncle Jam posted:

The Tegra3 can't even run Ninja Village on high graphics setting smoothly, that's why its special!

(I found this out today much to my dismay)

I've never heard of Ninja Village, is that due to hardware limitations or the game not being optimized for it?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I think it's the newest Kairosoft game. Those games have run really poorly compared to a lot of games in my experience. I mean Ski Safari looks amazing and runs great on my Gnex and Nexus 7 but all the Kairosoft games had issues on my Gnex (before I got bored of them).

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I've never had issues with Kairosoft games and I'm running a Motorola XPRT, which is a weak rear end business phone with a low clock ARMv7 IIRC.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Klyith posted:

^^^ edit: gently caress! What are the chances someone else replies to a pages old technical question at the same time I do? :suicide:

Bouya! I was going to mention tessellation and decided not to bother, that's where you made your mistake

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Winks posted:

Basically most poo poo stutters. I know because I've dealt with 3 of them. If there is something better out there I'd like to know.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

XboxPants posted:

Exactly. The calculations done only apply only to rendering, and only to each pixel individually. Some shaders can pull information from the rest of the screen, but they don't feed back into geometry and lighting. It's kind of like instant post processing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Basically most poo poo stutters. I know because I've dealt with 3 of them. If there is something better out there I'd like to know.

Are you suggesting the Tegra 3 doesn't have stuttering? Because it does.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Who knows, maybe the next Google TV box will appear at Google I/O and have a Tegra 4 inside. Or, you can use the HDMI output on Project Shield.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

This is going to be a problem with anything from that generation of mobile chipsets, Tegra 3 included. The Tegra 3 is an A9 SoC. Nvidia really marketed the Tegra name well, I guess. If you're looking for perfection, you have to start looking at media PCs, and even then that's only closer to perfect, as you'll have the occasional problem there too.

Winks fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 1, 2013

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
The point is you might as well get any RK3066 powered Android HDMI stick because it's gonna be pretty much the same thing power-wise if you're not actually going to use it for SORASORASORA games

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ACID POLICE posted:

The point is you might as well get any RK3066 powered Android HDMI stick because it's gonna be pretty much the same thing power-wise if you're not actually going to use it for SORASORASORA games

I don't have any personal experience, but I wanna chime in and say that even I don't think there's a meaningful difference between an RK3066 and a T3. I looked into the RK3066 vs Tegra 3 issue pretty heavily when people first started bringing it up, and although various apps might run better on one chip or another, they seem to be pretty goddamn similar.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

XboxPants posted:

I don't have any personal experience, but I wanna chime in and say that even I don't think there's a meaningful difference between an RK3066 and a T3.

Well from what I understand you can use Google Play on most of those sticks. A fully functioning store with thousands of programs/games is a pretty big difference. But tech wise no not really.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Do you think that maybe one of the core reasons we don't see a lot of devices at the $100 price point that are good consoles and good media devices is because it's unreasonable to expect a $100 device to do both of those things well?

Given that the controller is being sold at $50, what if they had just not packed it with a controller at all and spent that extra money on actual hardware and software developers?

This goes back to something I said weeks ago. Ostensibly, these guys are trying to develop an ecosystem. Why do they have to manufacture a custom controller to develop an ecosystem?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Do you think that maybe one of the core reasons we don't see a lot of devices at the $100 price point that are good consoles and good media devices is because it's unreasonable to expect a $100 device to do both of those things well?

Given that the controller is being sold at $50, what if they had just not packed it with a controller at all and spent that extra money on actual hardware and software developers?

This goes back to something I said weeks ago. Ostensibly, these guys are trying to develop an ecosystem. Why do they have to manufacture a custom controller to develop an ecosystem?

I'm almost certain the controller is being sold at high margins to help make up what has to be razor thin margins on the console itself, first party console accessories are always way overpriced compared to how much they actually cost to make because it's one of the biggest money makers they have. They also had to make their own controller to get one with a touchpad on it so it could be used to control all the Android apps that presume you have a touch screen, only the recently unveiled PS4 controller has one as well and that's still months out from anyone being able to actually buy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Now you point that out, it makes me wonder whether the lack of online multiplayer is more of a business move to sell more controllers since people will be more inclined to play splitscreen style instead.

But that would imply business competence for a start.....

• Locked thread