Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

XboxPants posted:

Before I forget, I also wanted to say that even though this is a common practice, it's still something you have to be careful with. Something like Pokemon is fine, but if it's software that can be updated - like SimCity - it's best to wait until release.

Bullshit it is, if it's something they're sending out for review and/or something that people are going to pay money to have in their hands then it's fair game. Or are you seriously saying that the debacle that was Simcity's release something that should be defended and hand-waved away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.
So if they are barely going to get these shipped over the next 2 months, how are they going to get out all the "retail" version out for the "real" launch?

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Sankis posted:

I can see where he's coming from. Video gaming hasn't been the same since the Big Three mandated that you have to buy call of duty every year. Finally we have thrown off the yoke of call of duty based oppression and can not play whatever we want in the month of november.
Call of Duty be damned, every couple years someone from Microsoft Games Studios comes out and welds my 360 drive shut with a copy of the latest Halo inside. Then they say "don't play nuttin' else if ya knows what's good for youse!" I tried to play an Arcade title and woke up with a horse's head in my bed.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

illiniguy01 posted:

So if they are barely going to get these shipped over the next 2 months, how are they going to get out all the "retail" version out for the "real" launch?

Well you know, they'll start producing them two days before they're to be sent to stores, and the stores will just get 'em when they get 'em, you know?
That's how real businesses work, right?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

boo_radley posted:

I'm not implying poo poo: If you send out software before it's ready -- you warn people at every opportunity. Media reviewers, crustbeards, whatever. THIS IS NOT PRODUCTION SOFTWARE. Doesn't matter if you're showing your mother or your husband or your realdoll. THIS IS NOT PRODUCTION SOFTWARE.

Sorry, I was just trying to decide whether you thought that OUYA intentionally sent out review units to press, or whether you were just talking about the units that press were receiving via the Kickstarter.

Obviously you're completely right that they should have said "DON'T REVIEW THIS", etc... I just didn't even mention that because even if they had said that, it was too late anyway. In other words, it's not as if they could have just put a "not finished" sticker on the box and that would have made everything alright.

If they didn't want people to consider this the final release, what they should have done - at the very minimum - is start saying, very clearly, that the Kickstarter units were going to ship with unfinished beta software as soon as they realized it. (even better, they would have said it during the Kickstarter, before people made their purchases. or you could say that they just should have set the estimated date to "June" instead of "march", but that's kind of another discussion entirely ;))

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.

XboxPants posted:

Sorry, I was just trying to decide whether you thought that OUYA intentionally sent out review units to press, or whether you were just talking about the units that press were receiving via the Kickstarter.

Obviously you're completely right that they should have said "DON'T REVIEW THIS", etc... I just didn't even mention that because even if they had said that, it was too late anyway. In other words, it's not as if they could have just put a "not finished" sticker on the box and that would have made everything alright.

If they didn't want people to consider this the final release, what they should have done - at the very minimum - is start saying, very clearly, that the Kickstarter units were going to ship with unfinished beta software as soon as they realized it. (even better, they would have said it during the Kickstarter, before people made their purchases. or you could say that they just should have set the estimated date to "June" instead of "march", but that's kind of another discussion entirely ;))

It was only decided this was the pre-release after the ouya people failed to put out a working product for the release stated in the kickstarter.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

raditts posted:

Bullshit it is, if it's something they're sending out for review and/or something that people are going to pay money to have in their hands then it's fair game. Or are you seriously saying that the debacle that was Simcity's release something that should be defended and hand-waved away?

No, it's the opposite. Reviewers that were playing the game early didn't experience the broken server issues, and the people that released their reviews early didn't say anything about that problem. That's the kind of poo poo I'm talking about. The sword cuts both ways. Problems can appear at release that you don't see in your review copy. Most of the time, when people release a review early like that, they're doing it to drive traffic at the expense of accuracy.

There's no way that the review you base on an early copy is going to be more accurate than if you wait until launch day.

(though I'm just talking in general, OUYA is released, so those reviews were fine)

illiniguy01 posted:

It was only decided this was the pre-release after the ouya people failed to put out a working product for the release stated in the kickstarter.

Nah, that's just when they decided they were going to openly say it. Even in February they were saying things like "[Backers] will also get to watch OUYA evolve over the coming weeks and months." They knew the software wasn't going to be ready in March.

To be clear, I'm not defending OUYA; if anything, I'm attacking them. I'm saying that they intentionally gave the impression that the March software was going to be more complete than they knew it would be.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 7, 2013

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

XboxPants posted:

I also wanted to say that even though this is a common practice, it's still something you have to be careful with. Something like Pokemon is fine, but if it's software that can be updated - like SimCity - it's best to wait until release.
ALL software in this day and age can be updated, even your television can be updated. Should we hold off on reviewing the iPhone because they keep updating iOS?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Look, it's fine to review things but if you don't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't say anything at all.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

XboxPants posted:

No, it's the opposite. Reviewers that were playing the game early didn't experience the broken server issues, and the people that released their reviews early didn't say anything about that problem. That's the kind of poo poo I'm talking about. The sword cuts both ways. Problems can appear at release that you don't see in your review copy. Most of the time, when people release a review early like that, they're doing it to drive traffic at the expense of accuracy.

There's no way that the review you base on an early copy is going to be more accurate than if you wait until launch day.

(though I'm just talking in general, OUYA is released, so those reviews were fine)

Using your logic, though, the SimCity reviews were accurate since the game is good, it's just the servers that had issues. So saying the game is good is fine, but they should have also reviewed the servers!

I mean, that's aside from your suggestion that everybody review after release.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

XboxPants posted:

Problems can appear at release that you don't see in your review copy. Most of the time, when people release a review early like that, they're doing it to drive traffic at the expense of accuracy.

I don't understand why it's not okay to release an early review for something reasonably expected to be the final product before launch day. If anything drastic happens after launch day, just create an addendum or supplemental review.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I don't understand why it's not okay to release an early review for something reasonably expected to be the final product before launch day. If anything drastic happens after launch day, just create an addendum or supplemental review.

Most of the time, you're right, it'll be fine. But releasing the review early does create some additional. So, publishing early might harm consumers. How might it benefit them?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

XboxPants posted:

Most of the time, you're right, it'll be fine. But releasing the review early does create some additional. So, publishing early might harm consumers. How might it benefit them?

I don't understand anything you have written after "it'll be fine".

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
By warning future purchasers that a company might not be making a product worth a poo poo, you numb gently caress.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

XboxPants posted:

Some additional what? I assume you mean misinformation?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I don't understand anything you have written after "it'll be fine".

Lost a word.

quote:

Most of the time, you're right, it'll be fine. But releasing the review early does create some additional risk of inaccuracy. So, publishing early might harm consumers. How might publishing early, instead of waiting, benefit them?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

XboxPants posted:

Most of the time, you're right, it'll be fine. But releasing the review early does create some additional risk of inaccuracy. So, publishing early might harm consumers. How might publishing early, instead of waiting, benefit them?

Early reviews of games that do not meet the marketing hype (e.g. Hitman Absolution) allowed consumers to make an informed decision to cancel their pre-orders or wait for sales to make their purchase.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Early reviews of games that do not meet the marketing hype (e.g. Hitman Absolution) allowed consumers to make an informed decision to cancel their pre-orders or wait for sales to make their purchase.

Alright, then. Good answer.

edit: Oh and to clarify: yes, "good answer" means I'm saying it's a good reason to do an early review.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 7, 2013

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
Telling review sites not to review your product after hyping the unholy hell out of your launch isn't a legally binding contract. Review embargoes aren't even binding agreements. And even if POHYEAH made all of their 60k buyers sign NDA agreements, they would probably have went back and changed the wording of the agreement six times between then and launch. And their backers still wouldn't get the exact thing they purchased. I barely even follow this thing, and the few reviews trickling out on this officially launched consumer electronic are about the only words of truth that have come out in the media about it. Can't wait til their 'official launch' goes by and they try to pull the doesn't count bullshit again.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I'm still baffled by that one commenter's assertion that it's a good thing Call of Duty isn't on the HOYEAHPEGGYHILL. :psyduck: I got tired of playing Call of Duty several years ago, so I deal with that by, you know, playing another game. I've got a PC, a PS3, a Wii, and a 3DS, it's not like there's ever a lack of games to play. It doesn't hurt me in any way to have Call of Duty available on a platform for all of the people who enjoy it and want to play it. The people who like Call of Duty get a game they enjoy and there are still plenty of games that I enjoy playing too so it's as close to win-win as you can get.

If anything, having Call of Duty would be a huge get for the STRICKLANDPROPANE. It's a big, popular series that lots of people like that could attract buyers to the DALEGRIBBLE. But no, apparently it's too popular and people would rather enjoy the intellectual stimulation of a lovely browser game like Stalagflight or something.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Humongous Pear posted:

I'm still baffled by that one commenter's assertion that it's a good thing Call of Duty isn't on the HOYEAHPEGGYHILL. :psyduck: I got tired of playing Call of Duty several years ago, so I deal with that by, you know, playing another game. I've got a PC, a PS3, a Wii, and a 3DS, it's not like there's ever a lack of games to play. It doesn't hurt me in any way to have Call of Duty available on a platform for all of the people who enjoy it and want to play it. The people who like Call of Duty get a game they enjoy and there are still plenty of games that I enjoy playing too so it's as close to win-win as you can get.

If anything, having Call of Duty would be a huge get for the STRICKLANDPROPANE. It's a big, popular series that lots of people like that could attract buyers to the DALEGRIBBLE. But no, apparently it's too popular and people would rather enjoy the intellectual stimulation of a lovely browser game like Stalagflight or something.

Because gaming was better when I was twelve, and there wasn't Call of Duty when I was twelve*. It's an easy strawman for making some vague complaints about "games today."

*There actually was, when I was twelve, but I hope you get the idea.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Humongous Pear posted:

I'm still baffled by that one commenter's assertion that it's a good thing Call of Duty isn't on the HOYEAHPEGGYHILL. :psyduck: I got tired of playing Call of Duty several years ago, so I deal with that by, you know, playing another game.
Because some nerds are mad that their hobby which once made them special and different from other people became popular and is now enjoyed by some of the people who used to make fun of them for enjoying the hobby. Instead of just not playing games they don't enjoy, they feel the need to blame something, so they bellow things such as "FRAT BOYS," "LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR," "SEQUELITIS," and "CASUAL GAMERS" from the rafters.

What they fail to realize is mega popular games sell tons of copies because lots of people from various groups of game players like to play them. Niche games don't sell mega-volumes because they are, by definition, a game which only a small amount of people would enjoy playing.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
This is beautiful. The OUYA has even continued in the fine indie gaming tradition of making you pay for a beta that will never be finished (even though it is clearly not a beta and they only said so when word of mouth and reviews shat all over their console). And at the same time giving a big 'gently caress you' to everyone who backed it thinking they were paying for a finished product. It is like every terrible thing to come out of indie gaming manifest in one little bitty box.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

illiniguy01 posted:

It is possible that a major part of the reason that the backer units are getting out so slowly is that the retail units have priority.

If they literally cannot get enough units to GameStop to get them to every store, I will never stop laughing. I will become the avatar of pure laughter.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

bagina posted:

ALL software in this day and age can be updated, even your television can be updated. Should we hold off on reviewing the iPhone because they keep updating iOS?
Everything gets a 10 because everything is potentially perfect in the future.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Let's talk about software.

quote:

Software (R)Evolution

Our software is constantly evolving. Right now, the team is focused on optimizing the performance of our software (this means responsiveness). In addition, we have a host of features we’re working on for the June launch. Here’s a glimpse at some of them:

External storage for games

Simpler game install process

More metrics for developers

Controller support for video players

More payment options

Look at this. LOOK AT IT. This is AFTER the earliest complaints came in. This list of fixes? These are all doable in 2 months with a small team. AND NOTHING ELSE. They've effectively told us what's coming in June: These improvements. These are not the improvements people are asking for, at all. These are not fixes that alleviate the "hmm, this thing might actually be a festering pile of crap". These are the changes that OUYA has chosen to hang their hopes and dreams on.

Also, as regards my various reserved product names: I'm going to get caught on April 12th, the day James Andrew Coote claims he is going to upload his game, Executive Star, to the OUYA store. So that should be fun.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Pants, the only loving reason they didn't say "don't review this" is because they expected good reviews after wining and dining journalists. That's it. Only after having reviews that are bad (as it's a bad product) do you and other stupid OUYA fans get up in arms about it not ready for review.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

zylche posted:

via Techcrunch's article
How does that not sound like giving out review units to people in the media invited to your launch party?

What's missing is the fact that the Techcrunch guy Kickstarted the Booyah for $1337, which gave him an invitation to the launch party, a private dinner beforehand, and a gift bag (the gift bags happened to include the OUYA console). He wasn't invited or given the console as a member of the press.

Of course, the FoolYa folks were rather...ignorant if they didn't think the media would treat this as a launch and highlight all the flaws, because they didn't make a big deal about it being an "early preview release", though they've known for a while that it was going to be one.

Aweful Dreams fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 7, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

XboxPants posted:

Oh, you're going to argue semantics.

Let me phrase it like this, then: it's generally a bad practice to review software months before people can actually get it.

Depends. Usually this doesn't happen for two reasons. 1) Nobody sends out code several months ahead because the game is not yet ready and there is nothing to send. 2) If by some miracle the game is done so early and code is sent out (we received te latest Sly Cooper in December, the game came out in February / March) it comes with an embargo date close to launch.

What usually happens instead is they send out preview builds which might ony have the three levels that are polished enough or come with a big sheet of problems they think they can fix by release. Then sites write a preview, which goes over how the thing seems and plays but doesn't pass final judgment.

Why didn't this happen with the Ouya? For one, the thing has been bought with money and is being shipped to cstomers who did so. It has been released by any sane definition of the word and Julie claiming otherwise as a panic reaction doesn't change facts. Second, the thing wasn't embargod, so nobody was under any obligation to do so.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

theflyingorc posted:

Let's talk about software.

Look at this. LOOK AT IT. This is AFTER the earliest complaints came in. This list of fixes? These are all doable in 2 months with a small team. AND NOTHING ELSE. They've effectively told us what's coming in June: These improvements. These are not the improvements people are asking for, at all. These are not fixes that alleviate the "hmm, this thing might actually be a festering pile of crap". These are the changes that OUYA has chosen to hang their hopes and dreams on.
One would think that fixing the controller lag would be a priority if were possible to fix.

http://www.ouya.tv/60-days-to-launch/

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

Mirificus posted:

One would think that fixing the controller lag would be a priority if were possible to fix.

http://www.ouya.tv/60-days-to-launch/

Controller lag seems to be a mix of a few things: an SDK issue (that's been fixed), an issue where downloading in the background causes lag in running games, the main UI can be laggy, and I've heard a report that one of the graphically best games, The Ball, might have game-specific lag issues in its current build (and that's a game all reviewers will download and try). So lag is not really something major to be added to their list, though maybe they should have just to convince people it won't be there in the end....

Really, nothing on that list is new or a response to reviews or anything, it's all stuff they've been talking to developers about and telling them what's on the way for June.

Aweful Dreams fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 7, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lonely Rolling Star posted:

Telling review sites not to review your product after hyping the unholy hell out of your launch isn't a legally binding contract. Review embargoes aren't even binding agreements.

Yeah, usually they are a gentleman's agreement. Sometimes, though, they're not. One particular company won't even send you code until you sign a multi-page legal contract which is so strict you can't legally even tell anyone you have the game. I don't think they've been tested in court, but considering they stipulate multi-million dollar penalties I don't think anyone wants to.

EDIT: Oh and XboxPants, Ouya not sending units to reviewers means squat. Companies often don't send out anything if they think they have a turd on their hands and don't want word getting out until it's too late. Sites and publications routinely buy and expense review copies from retail.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

UHR-MANN posted:

For some, these blogs aren’t enough. So write down all your questions and hit me up at my Reddit AMA the first week of May.

This should be interesting.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

EDIT: Oh and XboxPants, Ouya not sending units to reviewers means squat. Companies often don't send out anything if they think they have a turd on their hands and don't want word getting out until it's too late. Sites and publications routinely buy and expense review copies from retail.

Yup, I agree. I think I said that it was an unimportant detail in my post.

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Because some nerds are mad that their hobby which once made them special and different from other people became popular and is now enjoyed by some of the people who used to make fun of them for enjoying the hobby. Instead of just not playing games they don't enjoy, they feel the need to blame something, so they bellow things such as "FRAT BOYS," "LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR," "SEQUELITIS," and "CASUAL GAMERS" from the rafters.

What they fail to realize is mega popular games sell tons of copies because lots of people from various groups of game players like to play them. Niche games don't sell mega-volumes because they are, by definition, a game which only a small amount of people would enjoy playing.

Something I find ironic about that whole issue is that RPG fans are just the kind of nerd that's likely to act like that and hate on Call of Duty, etc... but really, they should be thanking it. One of the great things about Call of Duty is all the RPG elements they added to the FPS formula. RPG nerds should be praising it! :haw: You could maybe even make the argument that RPG-lite Call of Duty multiplayer helped pave the way for the current RPG-FPS games like Mass Effect.

But then, I guess a lot of those nerds wouldn't touch Mass Effect, either. It's not even made in Japan!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

XboxPants posted:

Yup, I agree. I think I said that it was an unimportant detail in my post.

Something I find ironic about that whole issue is that RPG fans are just the kind of nerd that's likely to act like that and hate on Call of Duty, etc... but really, they should be thanking it. One of the great things about Call of Duty is all the RPG elements they added to the FPS formula. RPG nerds should be praising it! :haw: You could maybe even make the argument that RPG-lite Call of Duty multiplayer helped pave the way for the current RPG-FPS games like Mass Effect.

But then, I guess a lot of those nerds wouldn't touch Mass Effect, either. It's not even made in Japan!

you shut up, those "nerds" are the only reason we are getting a chance to see the OUJIA crash and burn.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic
I'd buy Mass Effect for my OUYA.

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.
I always look forward to the end of the day when I can sit back, relax, and read the newest posts in the OUYA king of consoles thread :unsmith:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Aweful Dreams posted:

Did you really register just to post about this thing?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Aweful Dreams posted:

Hey, it's possible, there's a Mass Effect-based game on Android: http://youtu.be/ihymbMpddQU?t=7m5s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Aweful Dreams posted:

Why? You can already get it and all it's DLC for all 3 games on basically every major console and PC. Even the WiiU has ME3 doesn't it?

• Locked thread