Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
XBoxPants, I hope you do realize that your self-ordained policy of "no early reviews, it harms the consumer" is basically another way of condescendingly say that most consumers are too stupid to be aware the game library will evolve in the coming years, and that software will be patched?

You are basically saying "we (because we are informed backers) know this machine will continue to evolve, but consumers don't". So you basically think consumers are stupid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Rocks posted:

I wish I could count the number of words and characters XBoxsPants has written about Ouya, and then convert that using an average wpm to find out how much time he's devoted his life writing about it. Then in five years, when Ouya is nothing but a faded memory, he can look back and wonder why he spent so much of his life defending and analyzing a seriously mediocre piece of technology.

Well, I put all of XboxPant's posts from one page of his post history in this thread into word, took out everything that was copy/pasted like quotes or links, and came up with 3211 words. Multiply by ten for ten whole pages of posts made in this thread for 32110 words. Divide that by 60, assuming he somehow kept 60 words per minute for every post, and you end up with almost nine full hours of time posting just in this thread. Not counting thinking before typing, time for reading posts, looking up links, etc., but still, that is loving at least nine hours of time writing in this thread.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
I'll bet you a shitbrown OUYA, that xboxpants would be saying the exact opposite if the early reviews were positive.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

MrBims posted:

Well, I put all of XboxPant's posts from one page of his post history in this thread into word, took out everything that was copy/pasted like quotes or links, and came up with 3211 words. Multiply by ten for ten whole pages of posts made in this thread for 32110 words. Divide that by 60, assuming he somehow kept 60 words per minute for every post, and you end up with almost nine full hours of time posting just in this thread. Not counting thinking before typing, time for reading posts, looking up links, etc., but still, that is loving at least nine hours of time writing in this thread.

Ask him how much he's paid an hour for "writing about the OUYA" here and elsewere and you'll get a better idea of the motivation behind this level of dedication.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

It wasn't intentional?? :psyduck:

I'm pretty sure it was. Everyone who videoed their unboxings (ugh, what a dumb concept) showed the faceplate off of the gamepad at pretty much the same angle and position. It's only after they realized how goddamn stupid that is that they're backtracking on it.

Kind of like "Hey this is a beta release."

obithrawn
Apr 22, 2003

Batham posted:

I'll bet you a shitbrown OUYA, that xboxpants would be saying the exact opposite if the early reviews were positive.

That's why this is so awesome. They only decided it was a beta when people told them it sucked.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

MrBims posted:

Not counting thinking before typing

That's alright. You don't really have to worry about that.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic
Yeah, I too think the floating faceplate was intentional, I don't think it could come off during shipping, the 6 magnets are pretty good. Plus it's always the right panel in all the unboxings. But what they needed to do was pack it in a way to make that obvious: don't let the faceplate float loose, maybe even pack it in the tray with the batteries.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Aweful Dreams posted:

Yeah, I too think the floating faceplate was intentional, I don't think it could come off during shipping, the 6 magnets are pretty good. Plus it's always the right panel in all the unboxings. But what they needed to do was pack it in a way to make that obvious: don't let the faceplate float loose, maybe even pack it in the tray with the batteries.

I'd say there's too few accounts thus far to really say anything.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Rasmussen posted:

loving magnets...

quote:

We will continue to obsess over quality and performance. For example, we are considering adding additional magnets to the controllers so that the faceplates are more secure–no more falling off during shipments!

How do they work?

What if the magnets fall off.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Why are they using magnets in the first place? I'm guessing because its cheaper to drop a couple in when molding the plastic than paying extra to have them design snaps, but even then its still weird as hell.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic
Snaps bend/break with constant use, magnets don't lose their magnetism through being pulled apart a lot. It could also be a style choice by Yves Behar - no visible snaps or anything, just a smooth seam that is held together "like magic"

Aweful Dreams fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 7, 2013

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Ask him how much he's paid an hour for "writing about the OUYA" here and elsewere and you'll get a better idea of the motivation behind this level of dedication.

I'm guessing like $0.10 per post.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

XboxPants posted:

You could maybe even make the argument that RPG-lite Call of Duty multiplayer helped pave the way for the current RPG-FPS games like Mass Effect.

This would be a remarkably temporally unsound argument to try and make.

Dec 26, 2012

Inspector_71 posted:

This would be a remarkably temporally unsound argument to try and make.

He is an expert in making unsound arguments. Just let him do his thing, he's got this.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

MrBims posted:

Not counting thinking before typing, time for reading posts, looking up links, etc.,

He doesn't do these things, you don't have to worry about factoring them in.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Aweful Dreams posted:

Snaps bend/break with constant use, magnets don't lose their magnetism through being pulled apart a lot. It could also be a style choice by Yves Behar - no visible snaps or anything, just a smooth seam that is held together "like magic"
I don't think Yves Behar had anything to do with the design of the controller. At least, they've only really mentioned that he designed the OUYA box shape (and then the team worked for a few months on the controller design).

I figured I'd mention that even if Minecraft came to the OUYA, it'd have to be the Android port, which doesn't have the nether, has a claustrophobic world size of 256x256 blocks, and only just recently added 2D clouds.
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Pocket_Edition

Yeah, I can see why Mojang wouldn't really want to promote this as a version of the game to play on the couch.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Aweful Dreams posted:

I want everyone to note that this is an account registered today for the sole purpose of defending the OUYA.

I don't want anyone to miss that this is happening.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Evil Fluffy posted:

What makes you think they could've put an embargo up? "Hey backers you aren't allowed to post about the TENYARDSTARE until we say so" isn't going to work. This wasn't a game given to sites a week in advance to play and write up a review on.

So does this mean there's Jailbreak mods for those versions of CoD? If so I might regret not having played them. :smith:

I was more thinking about the ones given to journalists or whatever at that dumb party but you're right. It wouldn't have affected anything.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

theflyingorc posted:

I want everyone to note that this is an account registered today for the sole purpose of defending the OUYA.

I agree with him on that point though. The way they designed the controller, magnets were a much better choice.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Aweful Dreams posted:

You do realize that in their official blog post they said it was a mistake?

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

They also say in their official blog post that their stupid console is still "in development" despite their stated launch date having come and gone.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yes but they like to spin things hard there, they said it was a mistake they were going to fix because some people were saying it was a problem.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Aweful Dreams posted:

Considering the shear number of devices that use snaps from every remote control in existence to phone cases going back to the Nokia 5110 I'm not buying this for a minute.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
The magnet vs snaps thing is kind of a non-issue honestly. Magnets are fine, it would be impossible for someone to screw up and break something by replacing the batteries or switching out custom faceplates or whatever. The issue is where the faceplates can potentially gently caress with controls.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

JazzFlight posted:

I don't think Yves Behar had anything to do with the design of the controller. At least, they've only really mentioned that he designed the OUYA box shape (and then the team worked for a few months on the controller design).

I figured I'd mention that even if Minecraft came to the OUYA, it'd have to be the Android port, which doesn't have the nether, has a claustrophobic world size of 256x256 blocks, and only just recently added 2D clouds.
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Pocket_Edition

Yeah, I can see why Mojang wouldn't really want to promote this as a version of the game to play on the couch.

I imagine they'd be able to do more without the limits of phone graphics/memory. Not that I'd need to play minecraft on something that wasn't the PC. God, I was happy to "support" minecraft by buying the overpriced copy for my phone, and after five minutes realized what a mistaken that was.

theflyingorc posted:

Well I don't think he's trying to join the Something Awful Ouya Gaming Guild because I don't see his app post in GBS and I checked all of the the threads that were tagged as 'attention'.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Considering the shear number of devices that use snaps from every remote control in existence to phone cases going back to the Nokia 5110 I'm not buying this for a minute.
I don't think you realize that you're supposed to take off your battery cover from your smartphone everytime you use it.

:ughh:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Aweful Dreams posted:

Yes but they like to spin things hard there, they said it was a mistake they were going to fix because some people were saying it was a problem.

Good point. I know when I buy an electronic device I relish the potential that the dev team will constantly lie to me about the state of the features of that device.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I really don't think Aweful Dreams is trying to defend anything, you guys can probably stop gnashing your teeth at him.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Aweful Dreams posted:

If it genuinely was intentional, they had the perfect excuse: it was intentional to show battery placement.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
For everyone waiting on the GameStick to be so much better than the BANANA, bad news. Pushed back to June for early backers. It's almost as if Kickstarter is a bad place to spend your money...

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

NOTinuyasha posted:

For everyone waiting on the GameStick to be so much better than the BANANA, bad news. Pushed back to June for early backers. It's almost as if Kickstarter is a bad place to spend your money...

Actually, the fact that they're pushing it back inspires more confidence in me than if they held fast to their release date (while still shipping consoles weeks later than originally estimated) and didn't admit that they underestimated the enormity of the original task.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

theflyingorc posted:

Actually, the fact that they're pushing it back inspires more confidence in me than if they held fast to their release date (while still shipping consoles weeks later than originally estimated) and didn't admit that they underestimated the enormity of the original task.

This is pretty drat accurate. The fact that they're delaying it shows that they won't rush things just to meet an estimated deadline. Yeah, it sucks to get delays but if it means you can make a better impression, it's a good thing. It helps that the Gamestick isn't promising too much. It's an ultra-mobile Android stick with a gamepad.

The same can't be said for the Ouya, which left a bad impression almost from the start with their promises and their constant misleading information.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Let's not forget that the original shipping date was the end of February and the OOLILI was delayed a month,then the shipping was changed to start of manufacturing. Now they claim tat they aren't shipping final units even though they're supposed to be going to backers. This is all a load of poo poo.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic
The shipping was never in February, the Kickstarter said March right from the start.

Kickstarter posted:

GET AN OUYA: console and controller. Guarantee we will have one available for you, before it gets to stores. Plus the rewards above. We're figuring out how many we can make! (We have to ask you to add $20 for shipping outside the U.S.) Please add $30 if you want a second controller.
Estimated delivery: Mar 2013

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

They are only going to make 100 of these HULLABALOOs to show at events and send to reviewers. They will apologize and say that they will make it up next year with the new model and make it better.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Aweful Dreams is correct. The kickstarter always said "Estimated Delivery: March 2013". So they probably should have begun shipping in February but they never said they were going to and instead shipped on the last shipping day of March guaranteeing that no one would actually receive their reward in time.

Edit: I'm sure that if they had pushed the release date back we would have mocked them about it, but better that then all the things we're mocking them about now. So far the apparent difference between gamestick and OUYA is that that gamestick isn't going to jerk its backers around the way OUYA is.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 7, 2013

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic
Eh, I'm not sure I'd go that far :) GameStick is definitely better at communicating with their customers, but they've already jerked customers around in a minor way (well, me at least). I preordered a GameStick, and they told Amazon (their merchant) that the device was preparing to ship so that the order cannot be canceled. I don't want to cancel it, but because they did that I couldn't if I wanted to.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

BiohazrD posted:

They are only going to make 100 of these HULLABALOOs to show at events and send to reviewers. They will apologize and say that they will make it up next year with the new model and make it better.

I highly doubt they will still be in business this time next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Aweful Dreams posted:

Eh, I'm not sure I'd go that far :) GameStick is definitely better at communicating with their customers, but they've already jerked customers around in a minor way (well, me at least). I preordered a GameStick, and they told Amazon (their merchant) that the device was preparing to ship so that the order cannot be canceled. I don't want to cancel it, but because they did that I couldn't if I wanted to.

Nice way to get the same "got your money, fuckers!" deal you can get from Kickstarter.

That's actually pretty scummy. If it's "preparing to ship" for more than a few days, will Amazon slap the merchant if you ask?

• Locked thread