Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky
I'm amazed. I've now spotted 4G in two places here in San Diego. If they roll it out a little more eastward, I'll have it at home finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Looks like I was confused and one of my SERO lines is eligible for an upgrade. If I don't want to wait for an S4 is my current best bet for Android an S3? I guess the Note 2 is faster, but is it $100 faster given that it's still only 1280x720? A huge battery is nice, but stylii seem weird on a modern phone and I can't imagine the giant screen doesn't have an impact on the admittedly decent battery.

Perhaps most importantly, how is LTE reception on the S3 and Note2? Google doesn't turn up any complaints, but I enjoy making decisions based on anecdotal "evidence." :v:

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Increased screen size = increased device size = increased battery size. No worries there.

Word on the street is that the Note2 gets great reception.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

IOwnCalculus posted:

The more I think about it, as nice as the One looks, I've given HTC enough of my money and been unhappy after two years each time. The S4 doesn't have anything that makes it terribly compelling to me over the Note II, so I'm probably going to just go ahead and order one of those.

We had some issue with every phone we used from HTC (Mogul, Touch Pro, Hero, EVO, EVO Shift, and EVO 3D). I swore even before I went to the iPhone that I would never buy another HTC phone again. That said the One is truly beautiful. I know Samsung is kicking their rear end, but nice design job by HTC. I think it is the best looking Android phone I have seen, but even if I was considering coming back to Android I would avoid it.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

berserker posted:

Nah I don't think so. That's what I've been hearing for Phoenix since I got my 4G phone that I have yet to ever use with an actual 4G connection. I see Phoenix getting listed in the Tower Updates list but the maps still show zero 4G showing up anywhere in the entire state. All three of the other major carriers have 4G here where I live so I'm not seeing any good reason for me to stay with Sprint, who I've been with for over 12 years, if this remains the case when my current contract is up in 6ish months.

*sigh* it's really a lame situation, I WANT to stay with Sprint if I can but they're not giving me much of a choice.

Pretty much my exact sentiments here. Both in Philly and the DE/MD Eastern Shore. Every time I've been back to Philly I haven't seen 4G anywhere where I'd be and near the shore areas service ranges from non-existant to ok (only in Ocean City, MD but no 4G). It's becoming hard to be happy with Sprint service when I'm getting dropped calls all the time or no data services meanwhile everyone is rocking 4G. If they aren't, T-Mobile, then at least they get reliable service. I think I've been with Sprint for some 6 years already but recently re-upped. Still got 17/24 months left in my contract. :smith:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Loucks posted:

Looks like I was confused and one of my SERO lines is eligible for an upgrade. If I don't want to wait for an S4 is my current best bet for Android an S3? I guess the Note 2 is faster, but is it $100 faster given that it's still only 1280x720? A huge battery is nice, but stylii seem weird on a modern phone and I can't imagine the giant screen doesn't have an impact on the admittedly decent battery.

Perhaps most importantly, how is LTE reception on the S3 and Note2? Google doesn't turn up any complaints, but I enjoy making decisions based on anecdotal "evidence." :v:

In my <24h of experience with the Note II so far, the stylus is absolutely not required - it's an add-on. One that works insanely well for Crayon Physics, of all things. The interface and all of the apps are still very much finger-friendly, but now you have a higher-precision option you can switch to anytime. It's also not a stylus like you dealt with in the WM days, since it is apparently actually sourced from Wacom (it at least works like it is).

Reception and battery life seem great so far. I haven't sorted out a new cabling / windshield mount arrangement in my Ranger to charge it, but in the half hour it took me to get to work with Waze running (screen and GPS on) and PowerAmp streaming audio over bluetooth to my stereo, and only went from 93% to 83%. Doing the same with my E3D would've murdered the battery while unplugged, and left it roasting-hot plugged in.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
The only issue I have with my Note2 is one handed use is cumbersome.

I came from an EVO 4G to it and it is hard to give a good comparison since everywhere I've been with it is LTE, but I'd say it is somewhat better in the few areas I go that reception has always been flaky in.

In a bit over a month, the lowest I've ran the battery down to is around 40% by the meter since I charge every day. I don't do a lot of games or anything, but usually quite a bit of net surfing/email/txt - Usually I'm closer to 60% left. On my EVO 4G when new, I'd be able to get a day out of it if I didn't use it much. At the end of its life (~2.5 years) I was lucky to get 6-8 hours without plugging it in.

The stylus is more of a gimmick than anything to me. I was hoping for some reasonable Onenote or Evernote support, but that isn't the case. I pretty much just ignore it.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

If they put the same effort into a windows phone, (I don't know, maybe change the color and buttons on the one and call it the "Eight") they could have a good competitor to both Nokia and Samsung in the WP realm, especially since it is already set for Sprint.

Sigh the wait continues.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Is there any advantage to buying from a Sprint corporate store vs. a franchise?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Sab0921 posted:

Is there any advantage to buying from a Sprint corporate store vs. a franchise?

See I'd either Wil give you a deal? Corporate stores are less likely to have sketchy employees?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Duckman2008 posted:

See I'd either Wil give you a deal? Corporate stores are less likely to have sketchy employees?

And getting things fixed a corp store fucks up is easier too.

ExcessiveForce
Mar 21, 2010
So looking at my contract details on the Sprint site, it says that I have no contract or that my contract is complete. I'm not eligible for an upgrade until July 1 but need to replace my phone quickly. Would it be easy to convince Sprint to give me my upgrade early or else I would switch carriers? What's the best way to do this, over the phone or in a store?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Got a question for Sprint employees.

My company (a Sprint preferred retailer) decided our TEP attach rate is too low, so they want us to just add it on every new line or upgrade, and tell customers, "it's included with the plan, if you don't want it you can call customer service and cancel it."

Ethically speaking, I'm not comfortable with it.

What I'd really like to know is if it's actually against some Sprint policy to do that. Just to cover myself if they try to write me up or fire me for not doing it.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

TVs Ian posted:

My company (a Sprint preferred retailer) decided our TEP attach rate is too low, so they want us to just add it on every new line or upgrade, and tell customers, "it's included with the plan, if you don't want it you can call customer service and cancel it."

What I'd really like to know is if it's actually against some Sprint policy to do that. Just to cover myself if they try to write me up or fire me for not doing it.

If you're quoting them the normal plan price then this is fraud. If your quoting them a price with insurance included then it's just sleazy.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Giblet posted:

If you're quoting them the normal plan price then this is fraud. If your quoting them a price with insurance included then it's just sleazy.
Probably just sleazy then.

Ok, then I'll just keep going the non-sleazy way and see how long I keep the job.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

TVs Ian posted:

Probably just sleazy then.

Ok, then I'll just keep going the non-sleazy way and see how long I keep the job.

There should be a district manager for indirects that works for sprint somewhere. Tell them whats up.

If your TEP activation rate is to low, then your reps suck at positioning and need to be replaced anyways. I think the lowest TEP rate in our store is like 70% or something. Almost everyone has broken a phone or lost a phone at some point. Its an easy bolt on.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

TVs Ian posted:

Hey, at least your telling people. When I upgraded last August via bestbuy.com, it just got added on automatically and I didn't find out til my next bill arrived. That was fun.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

EbolaIvory posted:

There should be a district manager for indirects that works for sprint somewhere. Tell them whats up.

If your TEP activation rate is to low, then your reps suck at positioning and need to be replaced anyways. I think the lowest TEP rate in our store is like 70% or something. Almost everyone has broken a phone or lost a phone at some point. Its an easy bolt on.

Yeah, I'm not even a Sprint employee and I can see that TEP practically sells itself.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Until you explain how insane the rates and deductibles have become.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

ExcessiveForce posted:

So looking at my contract details on the Sprint site, it says that I have no contract or that my contract is complete. I'm not eligible for an upgrade until July 1
These are contradictory statements. You sure about this?

Anonomono
Mar 12, 2013
Sprint has LTE all over Raleigh/Durham (which I got to use for a whole week), but little to none in SF? This is complete blasphemy.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

The Entire Universe posted:

Yeah, I'm not even a Sprint employee and I can see that TEP practically sells itself.

Only to people that can't do math. TEP is a huge loving ripoff. I could maybe see having it for the first 6 or so months on a newly released high-end phone (if you're a clumsy clod/prone to losing your phone), otherwise it's a huge waste of money.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

What do you think this word means? :raise:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Q_res posted:

Only to people that can't do math. TEP is a huge loving ripoff. I could maybe see having it for the first 6 or so months on a newly released high-end phone (if you're a clumsy clod/prone to losing your phone), otherwise it's a huge waste of money.

To you. Most consumers are too stupid to buy a non stolen used phone to replace a smashed or lost device.

Obviously you've never worked in wireless.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

To you. Most consumers are too stupid to buy a non stolen used phone to replace a smashed or lost device.

Obviously you've never worked in wireless.

This. Most people just don't have time to understand options the way people here do. But remember, no matter what, if a customer loses a phone and doesn't have insurance, it is because they weren't told. If I had a nickel for every time an angry customer tells me no one told them, and I have to hold back on yelling at them that I warned them to get insurance.

I don't mind people not getting it, it's just the amnesia that is irritating.

And on selling it, seriously sprint TEP is am easy sell, and if you style it right quoting the plan including insurance is ok to do, although personally you don't need to approach it that way to sell it. Forcing them to have it is bullshit and a cowards way of selling. Honestly, you have to believe in it, develop trust and explain why they should get it. And most customers seriously should, because most people aren't willing to buy phones off ebay or pay full price.

ExcessiveForce
Mar 21, 2010

td4guy posted:

These are contradictory statements. You sure about this?

Yes I am. This phone line was associated with our Sprint business account for our family business until late last year, I had it moved over to a separate personal plan at that point. Maybe this is why it is saying I have no current agreement.

So, am I stuck waiting until July 1 or do you think I would be able to get the upgrade early?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

ExcessiveForce posted:

Yes I am. This phone line was associated with our Sprint business account for our family business until late last year, I had it moved over to a separate personal plan at that point. Maybe this is why it is saying I have no current agreement.

So, am I stuck waiting until July 1 or do you think I would be able to get the upgrade early?

The reason that its contradictory is that you are always eligible for a new phone when you are out of contract. I would call to verify that you are out of contract and if the information is correct they should just make you eligible for an upgrade right then and there.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

The Entire Universe posted:

Until someone tries to use it.
Even though I JUST bought a new iPhone 5 I'm about to sell it and move to Verizon I think.

The other line on my account is used for business and has had TEP on it for forever, the idea being that it helps avoid the fuckery of dealing with Craigslist, etc in case there's an issue.

The Nexus S on it has developed a few issues (no notifications, no incoming calls, etc) so I've followed tech advice, resets, there's no physical damage of any sort. The problem is, it's not consistent, so every time I've been to the store and they've 'tested' it, there appears to be nothing wrong and hence, no warranty replacement.

Sprints solution 'When it happens get to a Sprint store quickly' is utter horseshit, as is the 'just pay the deductible and say you lost it' solution presented to me by customer care via phone earlier today and no, I'm really not in the mood to sign a new contract for a new phone as a replacement for one that's still under warranty.

Of course I find out that Alabama is FINALLY getting an LTE spot! In a podunk rear end town that doesn't have crap for population. Not Birmingham. Not Huntsville. Not the Godamned capital. Gadsden.

At this point the only thing keeping me around is I'm so very hesitant to let go of my unlimited data plan, regardless of how utterly poo poo it is, because I have exactly zero options for high-speed internet of ANY sort in my NOT-rural location.

Sorry, I'm just very irritated.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessiveForce posted:

FYI, last I checked when sprint moves a line from a business account to a personal account, it should be set to upgrade at anytime as a retention offer. It thought it would also be set out of contract, but I could be wrong there. I would call and check with sprint, you should be at least eligible for an upgrade.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Despite Sprint's best efforts, I now have a preorder in for the HTC One.

Call 1 - Representative hung up after I said "no thank you" twice to the insurance.
Call 2 - Representative told me the insurance was added before I accepted/rejected, I had to threaten to leave to get them to not add it.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Matlock posted:

Call 1 - Representative hung up after I said "no thank you" twice to the insurance.
Call 2 - Representative told me the insurance was added before I accepted/rejected, I had to threaten to leave to get them to not add it.

What's the big issue with the insurance? Seems rather convenient.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Matlock posted:

Jesus. When I was buying my s3, I had the salesman basically threaten me that if I didn't get the phone insurance at that moment, I would never be able to ever again. Stuff like that is ridiculous.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Sab0921 posted:

What's the big issue with the insurance? Seems rather convenient.

It's $11/mo and has a huge deductible.

allcowseatgrass
Sep 30, 2007
Whats the deal with the sprint website? I'm finally eligible to upgrade and every time I go to try to shop for a phone, the stupid thing dumps me back at an empty cart. This has been going on for weeks.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Matlock posted:

It's $11/mo and has a huge deductible.
Yeah, on my Galaxy S3, I only have the $4/month plan. I figure if something fails I'd like to be able to get it fixed or replaced without paying or waiting to mail it to Samsung. But if I actually break or lose it, I'd rather switch to an old phone, buy a used phone, or fix it myself vs paying a $150 deductible.

On the One, it'll likely be a $150-$200 deductible depending on what the full retail price is.

If it was still $8/month with a $50 or $100 deductible it wouldn't be so bad, but the numbers keep creeping up. If you don't mind doing some extra work if something happens, it's not really worth it.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

The way I think about insurance is simple: Every 2 year contract I don't have it, I save ~$250. I have had 3 contracts with Sprint so far, so even if I have to buy a brand new phone outright, I'm still coming out ahead. In reality, if I broke my phone, I'd spend ~$200 on a craigslist phone, so that makes it even more one sided.

EDIT: And that's not even considering deductible. Unless you're breaking 1+ phone a year, I really don't see how phone insurance is a good idea.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

allcowseatgrass posted:

Whats the deal with the sprint website? I'm finally eligible to upgrade and every time I go to try to shop for a phone, the stupid thing dumps me back at an empty cart. This has been going on for weeks.

Try a different browser. I have problems with Firefox and end up having to use Chrome to get anything done.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
I was confused as to why everyone was bashing insurance but I hadn't realized the rates have gone up. I've had my phone repaired 3-4 times and replaced exactly four times. Didn't pay anything but spent a lot of time driving and resetting my drat phone.

None of the problems were ever my fault (phone hardware issues or the GS2 being upgraded to 4.0 and making GBS threads the bed). Would I have had to pay if I didn't have insurance? My first problem with the GS2 definitely happened after owning the phone for over a year.

If those issues would have been covered then I feel silly and will definitely be dropping the insurance. I am up for an upgrade in July and wouldn't have gone in for it with the increased amounts anyway.

edit
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
I stated it was definitely past the one year warranty period.

manwithoutskin fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 9, 2013

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai
If it was bad hardware or a bad update, then it should be covered under warranty. That's pretty much the point of the warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So I bought a new wall charger thinking that it might be the issue with my phone not charging. However it's not the case and I really think the charge port is busted for good.

Like I said last time, my car charger charges the phone fine but no wall charger + cable works. I noticed that the car charger kinda "clicks" into the port. The original GNexus cable did the same thing but once it stopped doing that I started getting the issue.

I heard Sprint would fix this for about $50. That true?