Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ohtsam posted:

Even sadder is that if you manage to get the highest card rank the game glitches out because the designers didn't think any would be that crazy.
How many people have actually done it? I know it's been done, but I could never bring myself to do it, and I love to grind so that's saying a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Cardboard Fox posted:

Who the hell puts lard in tea? :psyduck:

Butter tea is a thing, yeah. It's a combination of that and a fat joke.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
http://www.tripletriadflashonline.com/en/play
Let's do a goon championship of this, i say.
ADDED BENEFIT: MIXED FF SOUNDTRACK PLAYING

Aureon fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 7, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Vadun posted:

I'm coming back to FFV after a long hiatus and just got my Earth Crystal jobs. Are there any side quests or other content I need to finish up now before talking to Cid? This seems like a point of no return

The FFV walkthrough on Caves of Narshe borders on obsession and gives you a list of things to do before you enter the meteor:

http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff5/walkthrough.php?chapter=1-38

I think you still have a couple of meteors to go through before you enter the next phase of the game though. It'll be obvious when you do.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

The people that made the game don't understand how to play it.

The rules are fairly simple, but the game has a significant random element to it. That's the main problem. The codes that you see on cards (like 0P00 or 4X75) are their stats. Better cards usually win, but not always.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How many people have actually done it? I know it's been done, but I could never bring myself to do it, and I love to grind so that's saying a lot.

At least 1. Considering the absurd amount of grinding required to reach a perfect score though, you could probably count the number of players world-wide on one hand.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I'm at the point in dimensions where I'm running around with the airship trying to find dark matter. What's the best spot in this game to grind for ap?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I actually enjoyed the FF9 card game. Didn't it have in game descriptions for the stats at the bottom of the card?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jibo posted:

I actually enjoyed the FF9 card game. Didn't it have in game descriptions for the stats at the bottom of the card?

Honestly the biggest mistake they made with the FF9 card game was not having it give any sort of in-game reward. It was totally disconnected from the rest of the game. In FF8 you could play enough cards to get overpowered items, turn those items into spells, and make all of your characters invincible. FF9 went the opposite direction and made the cards useless except for 1 specific time in the game where you can get a nice ring early.

If there were regular card game tournaments in FF9 with rewards similar to the auction house people would remember the minigame much more fondly.

Also the actual base game was worse than Tetra Master which didn't help, cards and fights were more or less randomized. You could get a card with 1 arrow or 8 arrows from the same boss, you just had to keep trying.

FFX and FFX-2 both had minigames that had big rewards, so you were rewarded for trying out their dumb fake sport with a super-powerful weapon or new job.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I'm at the point in dimensions where I'm running around with the airship trying to find dark matter. What's the best spot in this game to grind for ap?

Right now probably anywhere on the world map. I like the desert area because that tiny piece of grass with the moogle and the healing pot is still there. Burtgang Castle void is pretty good too but difficult so you may want to get some firepower before trying it. After you get Bahamut in the final dungeon, you can Megaflare your way through Super Cactuars on the Cactaur island. They are hard to hit/damage without it so just hope they don't run before you cast. They give 100AP.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Jibo posted:

It had numbers and letters but the rules were literally a secret, even in-game. You did get hints and advice, but this combined with the fact that the system was very obtuse made it rather annoying to play properly. A card could say this

quote:

1M42

But that's it. You could figure the stuff out somewhat by playing long enough, but just from looking at that it's really hard to tell what's what. It doesn't help that you might see numbers replaced by letters because we're talking hexadecimals (From 0 to F). On top of that each number equals a slightly random amount of hitpoints; the number 8 might mean 130 hitpoints but it might also mean 140.

:eng101: Because I'm bored and I know it's not clear to most people even today, here's how the game works, and most of this you need to figure out on your own. The values and what they mean:

1 = Attack Power
M = Class, in this case Magical
4 = Physical Defense power
2 = Magic Defense power

The first number (1) governs the amount of hit points the card has when attacking. The internet (but not the game) tells me 1 equals 16-31 hit points.
The letter (M) governs which defense the card attacks against, physical or magical. There are 4 different letters, P, M, X and A:

P (Physical) goes against the opposing card's Physical Defense power
M (Magical) goes against the opposing card's Magic Defense power
X (Flexible) goes against whichever Defense value is lower on the opposing card
A (Assault) goes against whichever value is lowest on the opposing card, including Attack Power. Needless to say these are incredibly powerful cards.

The second number (4) governs the amount of hit points the card has when defending against cards that attack against Physical Defense power, in this case equaling 64-79 hit points
The third number (2) is the same except with cards that attack against Magic Defense power, equaling 32-47 hit points

Now the actual card battle goes basically like this:

You play 1M42 against, say, 2P70. Our 1 and M tell us that we attack with 1 power against the opponent's Magic defense, in this case 0. This means our hit point value is 16-31 while the opponent's is 0-15. Obviously if it was merely hit points versus hit points, a higher value would win 100% of the time, so of course the answer here is more random numbers.

At this point the game assigns a random value anywhere between 0 and the hit point value of the attacking card (remember, this is anything between 16 and 31). This is then subtracted from your hit points to find the actual hit point value of the card you're attacking with. Let's say we attack and the game assigns us 20 hit points. The game rolls a random number between 0 and 20, let's say 15. This means that despite starting with 16-31 hit points, we actually only attack with 5 since 20-15=5.

The game then repeats this with the defending card and its defense value (0-15). Let's say the game assigns them 10 hit points and the random number from 0-10 turns out to be a 4. This means the defending card has 10-4=6 hit points.

Finally, these two values are compared and whichever is higher wins. Since 6 is higher than 5, the defending card wins despite our card having more attack than they had defense.

Feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong, but hopefully this explains why the gently caress you lost when you attacked that 0P00 card with your 87X5 and still lost; bad luck. I'm pretty sure the game doesn't even display the "true" hit points, so the only thing you'd see is your 140 HP decreasing with the speed of light while their 7 ticked down e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y s-l-o-w-l-y.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Man that could have been cool, if they took the RNG out. Taking triple triad, adding defenses to magic/physical attacks to plan around, and the arrows to chain flip...just too much dumb RNG. Cards level up too, don't they? But you cant change the arrows? Missed opportunity, couldvve had a card synth shop to use excess ones to get an arrow re-roll on a good card. And having a permanent-tourney in Treno for rewards.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

effectual posted:

Man that could have been cool, if they took the RNG out. Taking triple triad, adding defenses to magic/physical attacks to plan around, and the arrows to chain flip...just too much dumb RNG. Cards level up too, don't they? But you cant change the arrows? Missed opportunity, couldvve had a card synth shop to use excess ones to get an arrow re-roll on a good card. And having a permanent-tourney in Treno for rewards.

Cards can indeed level up, in stats or in attack type. However, as far as I know leveling up just can happen randomly whenever you play a hand with that card. It's not guaranteed to happen.

By the way, the attack type of a card affects its collector's value. X-type cards are worth 1 more point than normal, and A-type cards are worth 2 more points than normal. To get a perfect score of 1700, you'd have to grind until all 100 cards had A-type attack. :shepface:

Miracon fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 9, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Tetra Master is basically Triple Triad's bullshit RNG-manipulation rules-spreading "mechanic" applied to the whole game.

Even though there is a bit of RNG involved in getting the cards you want off of a player in Triple Triad, anyway.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Miracon posted:

Cards can indeed level up, in stats or in attack type. However, as far as I know leveling up just can happen randomly whenever you play a hand with that card. It's not guaranteed to happen.

By the way, the attack type of a card affects its collector's value. X-type cards are worth 1 more point than normal, and A-type cards are worth 2 more points than normal. To get a perfect score of 1700, you'd have to grind until all 100 cards had A-type attack. :shepface:

For those of you who don't know about this system, it's far more ridiculous than that. To get a perfect score, even before you started grinding, you had to make sure that each of your 100 cards had a different pattern of arrows on it!

Granted, there are 256 possible, including "no arrows" which did actually spawn on cards... but man.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

For those of you who don't know about this system, it's far more ridiculous than that. To get a perfect score, even before you started grinding, you had to make sure that each of your 100 cards had a different pattern of arrows on it!

Granted, there are 256 possible, including "no arrows" which did actually spawn on cards... but man.

Oh whoa, sudden memory. In my last playthrough of FF9, getting a zero-arrow card was precisely the thing that made me throw up my hands and go "gently caress this poo poo" to Tetra Master.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Also you're capped at 100 cards so you have to occasionally clear out the dozens of low level ones you got from battle loot or chocobo treasures or chests or whatever, so you can loot the good ones and have a chance to win the tourney.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Is there a point of no return in dimensions I should know about if I want to do sidequest? Just finished collecting the dark matters.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Is there a point of no return in dimensions I should know about if I want to do sidequest? Just finished collecting the dark matters.

Given that there's a New Game Plus in a sense, you can do anything even after the end of the game. That said, the only "point of no return" is really drat obvious - I think Sol even calls it exactly that.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Ok thanks. I never expected a phone rpg to be this long. Its taken me longer to play dimensions than it has most other rpgs and I haven't even tried doing sidequests or checked a guide yet. I appreciate how complete of a game it is, regardless how awful a character Alba is.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Are there any decent tricks for getting through the early game of a FF5 Four Job Fiesta with only White Mages? It seems like it would get grueling fast with how limited their offensive options are.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I got WM as my first job, and this guys play through with a solo white mage helped me out a lot. It provided decent strategy when I had later jobs, too, and I wouldn't have thought of some of the tricks he used on my own.

http://www.dos486.com/ff/whitemage/

eta: VVVVV Yeah if you're a wimp

Hit or miss Clitoris fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 10, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

In the official Fiesta rules, if you get White Mage as your first job you're allowed a Freelancer until the Water Crystal.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ProfessorProf posted:

Are there any decent tricks for getting through the early game of a FF5 Four Job Fiesta with only White Mages? It seems like it would get grueling fast with how limited their offensive options are.

In general, there's not really much you can do to increase your offensive output beyond remembering to grab the flail at the start of the Ship Graveyard, and that's really only helpful for the one character you give it to. Also, don't forget that cure magic hurts undead, so for the Ship Graveyard at least, don't be afraid to try nuking skeletons and such with Cure spells.

White Mage early game is all about remembering that while you can't really do much to hurt enemies, you're practically unkillable, especially if you remember to put everyone in the back row.

For Siren, just wait for her to go Undead form and nuke her with Cure magic.

For Magissa and Forza, keep her locked down with Mute so that she can't cast spells (except Aero), and remember to have Protect up on everyone before Forza shows up.

For Garula, just have one person attack with the flail and have the rest on Cure duty (again, don't forget Protect).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, getting White Mage probably isn't as bad as getting Thief, though it's far more tedious.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

Yeah, getting White Mage probably isn't as bad as getting Thief, though it's far more tedious.

Thief is awesome though because it lets you farm Hi Potions in the Fire Ship in World 1. :buddy:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

W.T. Fits posted:

Thief is awesome though because it lets you farm Hi Potions in the Fire Ship in World 1. :buddy:

You can also steal a shitton of Elixirs by manipulating quicksaves in the final dungeon, but I was talking strictly about usefulness until the Water Crystal.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

You can also steal a shitton of Elixirs by manipulating quicksaves in the final dungeon, but I was talking strictly about usefulness until the Water Crystal.

Oh if you're just talking about until the Water Crystal, then yeah, Thief is basically HARD MODE. :v:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

W.T. Fits posted:

Or you could hope for a class that lets you heal without farming. Personally I think the best part of getting a thief is no back-attacks.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

My first FJF started me off with Thief. The pre-Water Crystal part was really tough, it's true, but aside from that the Thief let me get a variety of goodies, act quickly, never get back attacked, and flee instantly and reliably. My second FJF did not give me a Thief, and I missed it a lot more than I expected to.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Without the Chicken Knife, though, Thief have been basically useless against the final boss in my last run.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

MrAristocrates posted:

Without the Chicken Knife, though, Thief have been basically useless against the final boss in my last run.

And only if you have a secondary that won't activate the Chicken Knife's fleeing, which is a total pain. But you could do a lot worse than a thief for a dedicated item-tosser during bosses, because of how fast they are.

Edit: Derp, I don't think !Mug activates the fleeing. Nevermind.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
As it turns out, the reason the friend I was asking for was having so much trouble was that he didn't realize that the shop screens scroll in the GBA version of the game, so the only spell he knew was Cure. :v:

My own party - Blue Mage, Mystic Knight, Bard, Chemist - is at the start of world 3 and violently tearing the game to pieces.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ProfessorProf posted:

I had WM for my first two jobs(ran hardmode). Due to the shear amount of healing it's not bad but it is slow. The flame boss was probably the worst thing to deal with but even that became effortless once I just got him to run out of MP in one form (hand I think) and waited until all 4 people could attack. Then I'd attack until he reverted to the hand again and would wait for all 4 to be able to act. Rinse and repeat.

Then my 3rd job was black mage. Fire/Ice/Lit 2 for everyone by the time I got to the next boss. :getin:

The worst would have to be getting thief then berserker.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
I know we had two people that got Knight/3 Berserkers last year but I feel like Thief/3 Berserkers would be much worse :ohdear: I wonder if that'll happen this year? Or what other gimmicks there will be instead of (in addition to?) Berserker Risk... I'm excited for June!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ProfessorProf posted:

My own party - Blue Mage, Mystic Knight, Bard, Chemist - is at the start of world 3 and violently tearing the game to pieces.

That's not very surprising.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

ProfessorProf posted:

God drat. Any one of those four is overpowered. I'd be more surprised if you weren't tearing the game to pieces.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

glod posted:

I know we had two people that got Knight/3 Berserkers last year but I feel like Thief/3 Berserkers would be much worse :ohdear: I wonder if that'll happen this year? Or what other gimmicks there will be instead of (in addition to?) Berserker Risk... I'm excited for June!

New gimmick, play through using 1-3 characters and classes.

Or the ultimate:
Butz-only single wind crystal job (thief) ironman. :getin:

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

1 berserker, all other characters are dead at all times, no items, no equipment, final destination.
A thief would probably help berserkers out- no back attacks, no sneak attacks, and you can give them a thief's agility. And you can steal potions/hi-potions.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

glod posted:

I still really want a version where they just hand you four totally random jobs (i.e. not bound by plot progression at all), maybe with a hard mode that allows duplicates. You'd have to use a romhack to make it work but I think it'd make for some really interesting team composition and game starts. Plus there's the incredibly unlikely possibility of getting Mime/Mime/Mime/Mime :getin:

e: yes yes I know that team setup can't exist. Let me dream.

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fungah! posted:

I still really want a version where they just hand you four totally random jobs (i.e. not bound by plot progression at all), maybe with a hard mode that allows duplicates. You'd have to use a romhack to make it work but I think it'd make for some really interesting team composition and game starts. Plus there's the incredibly unlikely possibility of getting Mime/Mime/Mime/Mime :getin:
If everyone's stuck as a Mime, all they'll have is Item and Mimic :eng99: