Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

Muh'fuggin Freesia York was my best unit. Probably followed by Marina and Largo. VEGGIES.

Ahem, I think you mean "VEG-TA-BULLZ!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

This should probably go on every single thread in this forum but I'll just put it here: gameplay footage and interviews and stuff about Dark Souls 2.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but it doesn't look very different from Dark 1, compared to how Dark 1 looked from Demon's.

I think I'm ok with Dark Souls, but more. I'm sure there will be mechanics changes that are boring to go over in a video unless you're super into them, and they did a really good job of keeping up with balance patches and such for DS1 so it seems like they know what they're doing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shalinor posted:

Did you play Okami yet? If not, snag Okami HD. It may or may not scratch that itch. I'm not actually sure where the line is, between Zelda and Metroidvania, but Okami out-Zelda'ed Zelda at the very least.

There's also Outland, which some people really dug.

EDIT: What's weird about Metroidvanias is that they're not dead. It seems like every other indie game is a Metroidvania. The thing is, 90% of them are incomplete messes, and over half the remainder are meandering poo poo. So everyone's making them, yet there's still almost no new ones worth mentioning coming out. Then there's the recent movement to procedural content, which turns potentially good Metroidvanias into meandering piles of unexplorable crap. Alas.
Yeah, it seems like a uniquely hard genre to do well, so most devs just decide from the beginning that they can't do it well and don't try. Of the ones that are left, they think they can do it well and most are wrong.

If you mean the traditional type, the last good one is still Order of Ecclesia, I think. And drat that was good. I hope those are ported to a big console someday.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SamBishop posted:

Ahem, I think you mean "VEG-TA-BULLZ!"

gently caress. Yes. I do. I am not worthy :smith:

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

gently caress. Yes. I do. I am not worthy :smith:

All who know the glory of Valkyria Chronicles are worthy. Also horribly, horribly depressed that we only got one HD release.

In a way, being able to play Sakura Wars V -- and that was apparently the shittiest of the games in the series -- in English and see the germination of the stuff that would eventually become VC sort of helped fill the void for a while. I don't think I've played a game since VC that built up basic gameplay ideas and then went completely outside those constructs without necessarily breaking the basic rules. Sure, the Orders system could totally break the game, but they really managed to break up the stuff you did on a regular basis all the way up to the end.

I guess what I'm saying is Valkyria Chronicles is still one of the best games of this generation. Any of you reading this that haven't yet played the game need to. Just find a copy and get to playing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SamBishop posted:

I guess what I'm saying is Valkyria Chronicles is still one of the best games of this generation. Any of you reading this that haven't yet played the game need to. Just find a copy and get to playing.

Are either of the DLC campaigns worth getting?

Also if you take Vyse or Aika out of your squad, or allow them to die, you are officially a Bad Person :colbert:.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I've just done like five skirmishes- still trying to get used to the battle system before I continue the story and retake the bridge in Chapter 3. My only issue is that I wish enemies wouldn't shoot at me mid-battle unless I am moving- otherwise I would really appreciate having that time to actually plan what my next move would be, rather than be forced to crouch and simply end my turn as fast as possible, hoping that no random shots will hit whichever character I just used.

I really appreciate how all of the different soldiers available on the team have their own names, looks, and personalities. Overall, the game is giving me tons of nostalgia for Fire Emblem. The art and music are very reminiscent of Final Fantasy Tactics, especially the movies in the War of the Lions version. I enjoy the voice acting so far. Some of the story elements are quite... ridiculous, but it's nothing I wouldn't really expect from a JRPG.

I guess I'd just like to say that right now I'm having a blast, and that I really wish I could have gotten the game when it was originally released. I didn't have a PS3 back then, and by the time I did get one, the game already couldn't be bought new. :smith:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SamBishop posted:

In a way, being able to play Sakura Wars V -- and that was apparently the shittiest of the games in the series -- in English and see the germination of the stuff that would eventually become VC sort of helped fill the void for a while.

Man, if So Long My Love was the shittiest one I have a super amazing fun time in store twenty years from now when someone fan-translates SW3/4/In Hot Blood. I really really loved SW5.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Are either of the DLC campaigns worth getting?

Behind Her Blue Flame and Challenges of the Edy Detachment are, but Enter the Edy Detachment is terrible and dumb and bad.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Valkyria Chronicles was the first PS3 game I had in my possession, but I bought MGS4 first, so technically MGS4 was my first PS3 game and I will always consider it as such.

Such a fun game. It's one of the few games where a New Game+ is actually fun and (not entirely) just bowling over every encounter with your super troops. And Marina, Dallas, Jann, among others were my mainstay soldiers. Vyse was pretty cool, too. Snipers and Scouts were the two classes I relied most upon, mainly because the Snipers can pick off troublesome enemy scouts and the Scouts are incredibly versatile units. I was also very serious about no man being left behind. If someone went down, first priority is to get to the wounded and get them out of there. No one's leaving the battlefield in a body bag, that's for sure. Just wait until you get to the Hard Skirmish maps. Even with the best Edelweiss and the best soldiers in each class, it'll still test your wits.

And then there was that one time I beat a Hard Skirmish map basically with Alicia only. Good memories. Haven't played it in so long, though.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I just beat Binary Domain as I am going through my backlog since completing BioShock Infinite. Binary Domain is stupid fun. The part when the dude was taking a poo poo had me putting down the controller and clapping. I highly recommend it if you can find it for $15 or less. Next up is House of the Dead Overkill so I get some use out of this move controller.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think we can all understand that it was a bad video (the best part is seeing the footage of the game, but we all know they want to keep some serious new stuff a surprise for a while) and they can't really do a better job of marketing the game to new people.

And we appreciate that it's still Dark Souls. Though, I'm already ready to say, I'd like to see them approach a new formula for the Souls series after they finish DS2. Maybe even make one for the Vita (Wandering Souls), and if I can dream, HD King's Field 4/Shadow Tower Abyss for PS3/Vita. With a Souls HD collection for the PS4.

That would be perfect.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Shalinor posted:

Did you play Okami yet? If not, snag Okami HD. It may or may not scratch that itch. I'm not actually sure where the line is, between Zelda and Metroidvania, but Okami out-Zelda'ed Zelda at the very least.

There's also Outland, which some people really dug.

EDIT: What's weird about Metroidvanias is that they're not dead. It seems like every other indie game is a Metroidvania. The thing is, 90% of them are incomplete messes, and over half the remainder are meandering poo poo. So everyone's making them, yet there's still almost no new ones worth mentioning coming out. Then there's the recent movement to procedural content, which turns potentially good Metroidvanias into meandering piles of unexplorable crap. Alas.

I feel like PSN and XBLA have made it much easier to put out a metroidvania, since you only need to get five or six hours out of a game, and can do simpler graphics. I can't imagine trying to do a full release game like this, that would be expected to last 10 or 15 hours, with all the graphical quality and features that are expected of a $60 game.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Housh posted:

I just beat Binary Domain as I am going through my backlog since completing BioShock Infinite. Binary Domain is stupid fun. The part when the dude was taking a poo poo had me putting down the controller and clapping. I highly recommend it if you can find it for $15 or less. Next up is House of the Dead Overkill so I get some use out of this move controller.

Yeah, I was laughing when that part came up in Binary Domain. I had to screenshot it. I will champion Binary Domain to anyone that listens. The plot isn't abhorrent, the combat feels fun and never really gets dull despite being a third person shooter, and there's multiple endings (which I didn't know until after I finished it). They're all more or less the same, just variations on a theme. It would've been neat to actually have more branching paths. I only played with the same 2 people in my party the entire time, so I wonder how the cutscenes would've been different.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Have you rad dudes scoped this grody vid??

http://m.pcgamer.com/2013/04/11/far-cry-3-blood-dragon-reveal-trailer-is-the-most-80s-thing-you-will-see-today

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

This trailer cured my cancer and gave me a stroke at the same time. Net gain.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
Another of my favorite games from my childhood, Mickey's Castle of Illusion, is being remade, and now we have our first trailer:

http://www.destructoid.com/tease-me-please-me-oh-castle-of-illusion-teaser--251337.phtml

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Blood Dragons better have goddamn Cyber Sharks... am I right??

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Feenix posted:

It has cyber EVERYTHING, and I believe all the same animal types as FC3, so yeah.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Feenix posted:

Blood Dragons are literally 15 foot tall neon dinosaurs that shoot exploding lasers out of their mouths. And there are also mutant cassowaries, and chrome plated tigers. I would honestly be shocked if there were not Cyber Sharks.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Crappy Jack posted:

Blood Dragons are literally 15 foot tall neon dinosaurs that shoot exploding lasers out of their mouths. And there are also mutant cassowaries, and chrome plated tigers. I would honestly be shocked if there were not Cyber Sharks.
You can more or less count on them having lasers mounted to their heads. That's way, way too obvious a trick to miss.

... which would actually make water more interesting. Animals with ranged attacks that could potentially take out boats, hmmm.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is it weird that I already want DLC Expansions to a DLC Expansion?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Shalinor posted:

What's weird about Metroidvanias is that they're not dead. It seems like every other indie game is a Metroidvania. The thing is, 90% of them are incomplete messes, and over half the remainder are meandering poo poo. So everyone's making them, yet there's still almost no new ones worth mentioning coming out. Then there's the recent movement to procedural content, which turns potentially good Metroidvanias into meandering piles of unexplorable crap. Alas.

This is what makes me saddest about the newest crop of Castlevania games-- I don't hate the Lords of Shadow games, but I wish both types could coexist. I doubt we'll ever see another IGA Metroidvania game, but think how cool a 1080p Symphony of the Night-style game could be.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shalinor posted:

... which would actually make water more interesting. Animals with ranged attacks that could potentially take out boats, hmmm.
*your boat gets cut in half with a laser coming from underwater*
"I think we're gonna need a bigger boat!"

revolther
May 27, 2008

Shalinor posted:

While that's true...

I see that as a potentially good thing. Arkham City's sandbox was dull / Rocksteady didn't really "get" sandboxes or non-linear exploration. But that dude? That dude GETS it (and also has the budget to do it well, this time). :neckbeard:

EDIT: VV It's ok, so long as he only hideously mangles them. No henchman were killed, they were just chewed and then dropped from 50 stories up.

While I found Hulk: Ultimate Destruction to be enjoyable, Prototype and Prototype 2 both show that the development studio is completely willing to take the obviously aged H:UD engine slap a modern shader onto and push it out the door as a completely garbage new 60 dollar title.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Do you guys remember Warrior's Lair (Ruin)? It was announced at E3 a couple years ago now and then it dropped off the face of the world. It says it's getting a 2013 release but I can't find squat else on the game. Did it get cancelled or put on the backburner somewhere? It always looked kind of neat to me and it's an ARPG like Dark Alliance so that got me pumped for it.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Just started up Demon's Souls. Combat's really tight and it looks nice. Not sure if its my type of game, but I did spend a long time trying to make John McClane in the character created so it's a pretty good game.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Jimbot posted:

Do you guys remember Warrior's Lair (Ruin)? It was announced at E3 a couple years ago now and then it dropped off the face of the world. It says it's getting a 2013 release but I can't find squat else on the game. Did it get cancelled or put on the backburner somewhere? It always looked kind of neat to me and it's an ARPG like Dark Alliance so that got me pumped for it.

I posted this in the Vita thread a couple of days ago.

They released a gameplay video about it at the end of last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeP4bJV1KcU

I havent heard anything since that video.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Liar Lyre posted:

Just started up Demon's Souls. Combat's really tight and it looks nice. Not sure if its my type of game, but I did spend a long time trying to make John McClane in the character created so it's a pretty good game.
You'll probably never see your character's face again unless you are deliberately not using a full helmet.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Samurai Sanders posted:

You'll probably never see your character's face again unless you are deliberately not using a full helmet.

At what point should my man in Demon's Souls put on some clothes? I started as a barbarian, beat the Phalanx with a flaming bastard sword, and now I'm running around the tower killing these weird tentacle guys. I still haven't put on any clothes or used a shield yet, are they worth it? I'm wearing the thief's ring and just sneaking up on stuff, or bashing a guy over and over if I get caught.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Weinertron posted:

At what point should my man in Demon's Souls put on some clothes? I started as a barbarian, beat the Phalanx with a flaming bastard sword, and now I'm running around the tower killing these weird tentacle guys. I still haven't put on any clothes or used a shield yet, are they worth it? I'm wearing the thief's ring and just sneaking up on stuff, or bashing a guy over and over if I get caught.
That works okay in the first stage of the Tower or Latria, but not some other stages. You're right that armor is not so important as long as you have an ongoing plan to not be hit, but shields are pretty key.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Rad Valtar posted:

I posted this in the Vita thread a couple of days ago.

They released a gameplay video about it at the end of last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeP4bJV1KcU

I havent heard anything since that video.

Weird, I wonder if their focus or mechanics have changed or something... because all I see there is a competent-looking Diablo Clone.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Samurai Sanders posted:

That works okay in the first stage of the Tower or Latria, but not some other stages. You're right that armor is not so important as long as you have an ongoing plan to not be hit, but shields are pretty key.

Time to start pumping strength then, I really want to use big swords and it takes both hands right now.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Feenix posted:

Weird, I wonder if their focus or mechanics have changed or something... because all I see there is a competent-looking Diablo Clone.

Not real sure but the thing that I think they are hoping would set it apart is the fact that you can customize your own dungeon or lair and have other people run it for loot. I haven't heard much aside from the basic idea but if fleshed out correctly it could add interesting gameplay.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Weinertron posted:

Time to start pumping strength then, I really want to use big swords and it takes both hands right now.

You have inadvertently discovered MAN MODE, the most powerful tool in the Souls games. Ride that lightning all the way to the Big Bad.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Guys I think Dark Souls 2 might be pretty good.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538500

Although now that they've confirmed that PC is their lead platform for the game I'm definitely getting that version for the sweet, sweet 60fps.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Crowbear posted:

Guys I think Dark Souls 2 might be pretty good.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538500

Although now that they've confirmed that PC is their lead platform for the game I'm definitely getting that version for the sweet, sweet 60fps.

Game is gonna own

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

So I've finally gotten around to trying out Demon's Souls, and I have to ask. Is there any point at all in destroying the destructible barrels and stuff like that? Does it lower your weapon durability?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

rabidsquid posted:

So I've finally gotten around to trying out Demon's Souls, and I have to ask. Is there any point at all in destroying the destructible barrels and stuff like that? Does it lower your weapon durability?

I don't know if it lowers weapon durability but most barrels/crates don't have anything behind them. Occasionally you'll find something(not in the barrels, just obscured by them) but I can't think of anything really valuable off the top of my head, just random consumables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I don't know if it lowers weapon durability but most barrels/crates don't have anything behind them. Occasionally you'll find something(not in the barrels, just obscured by them) but I can't think of anything really valuable off the top of my head, just random consumables.

Can't you just roll into them to break them? It's been a while since I've played Demon's Souls, but I did that all the time in Dark Souls just to see the broken pieces fly everywhere.

• Locked thread