Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mountainmanjed
Apr 2, 2013

systran posted:

I've been playing competitive FG's since Guilty Gear XX #R, so cool random assumption.

If you really played for that long you should know the stigma around that game and the answer isn't anime game. You should know with every other fighting game there is a stigma too it that the "FGC" will try to shut out any other game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

systran posted:

I think I will concede this point. I have just played LoL casually since beta and never felt a rush to get IP, so my perception is probably warped. I got all the runes I needed a very long time ago and I have enough characters to play any role. I never spent any real money on the game.

Yeah, for people who have been playing forever it's just a complete non-issue, but every time they add another thing to buy it becomes harder and harder for new players or off-and-on players to have any chance of catching up. Having an insane barrier of entry to a fighting game that tries to get new people in sounds like an abysmal idea given how hard it is for people to get into them in the first place. Better tutorials will help this (League's tutorial is garbage unless they changed it in the past 4 months, most fighting games don't even have tutorials), but learning a complex system on top of having to unlock nearly everything that exists just doesn't make for a very good introduction for new players. League manages to get around this a bit by locking down a bunch of gameplay aspects at early levels, but I don't know how you'd get away with that in a fighting game.

I'd love to see something good that brings new players into fighting games and helps them understand what's up in the game itself rather than having to hunt down guides on the internet, but I don't think the League system is the way to do it.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Guilty Gear was during the "drought". At that time the only games I could play locally were Guilty Gear or Third Strike. Nothing was streamed so the entire "FGC" to me was just the people I played with locally, rare tournaments, and we occasionally had people come from other cities or we'd travel there to play other scenes. You had to import decent sticks from Japan and I think I paid like $50 on shipping alone to get a Hori. After SBO you had to wait for the DVD's to come out and one person would buy them and then we'd all go to his house and watch it.

I love how I have to argue that I am "OG" enough to make a point that the market is saturated right now. It's cool if you can get play out of a niche game, but I personally wouldn't want to invest a lot of time into a game that I couldn't guarantee is going to be played at most tournaments or in most scenes.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

systran posted:

I love how I have to argue that I am "OG" enough to make a point that the market is saturated right now. It's cool if you can get play out of a niche game, but I personally wouldn't want to invest a lot of time into a game that I couldn't guarantee is going to be played at most tournaments or in most scenes.

None of your argument thus far has seemed to be about the market being saturated. Your entire argument seemed to be just that SFIV/Marvel are juggernauts that cannot be unseated, and that any other game can only take over for them or become too niche to matter.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

sentrygun posted:

I'd love to see something good that brings new players into fighting games and helps them understand what's up in the game itself rather than having to hunt down guides on the internet, but I don't think the League system is the way to do it.

The one-on-one nature of FG's turns a lot of people off. It's what appeals to me the most about it, but casual players generally have trouble getting into anything that makes their complete lack of skill completely apparent. LoL works because you can yell at your "lovely team mate" when you gently caress up (and this is also the biggest downfall of DOTA-likes), but if you get destroyed in a FG, you just realize that you suck. Story modes, trials, and costumes help to ease casual gamers in, but there really isn't enough. I've heard the Virtua Fighter games have great in-game tutorials. I don't know why they don't put more focus on this, my nebulous idea of a monetized DLC model would not directly mirror LoL, but it would aim to make the barrier to entry lower and make money along the way. I don't have concrete ideas for what this would look like.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

systran posted:

The one-on-one nature of FG's turns a lot of people off. It's what appeals to me the most about it, but casual players generally have trouble getting into anything that makes their complete lack of skill completely apparent.

As an aside, I hate direct 1on1 RTSes and Board games, but I don't have a problem with FGs.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

systran posted:

The one-on-one nature of FG's turns a lot of people off. It's what appeals to me the most about it, but casual players generally have trouble getting into anything that makes their complete lack of skill completely apparent. LoL works because you can yell at your "lovely team mate" when you gently caress up (and this is also the biggest downfall of DOTA-likes), but if you get destroyed in a FG, you just realize that you suck. Story modes, trials, and costumes help to ease casual gamers in, but there really isn't enough. I've heard the Virtua Fighter games have great in-game tutorials. I don't know why they don't put more focus on this, my nebulous idea of a monetized DLC model would not directly mirror LoL, but it would aim to make the barrier to entry lower and make money along the way. I don't have concrete ideas for what this would look like.

VF has awesome tutorials but at the same time its difficulty is legendary so you're about the same as if you were starting, say, SFIV without any tutorials.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Even though nobody mentioned it I'll go ahead and say that Jojo's HD is still alive as hell if you have a good enough connection to play Japan. I don't know if Vsav has the same hardcore fan base, but if it's half as dedicated it won't be hard to find a match this time next year

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Just tried the Injustice demo and dang, why cant all games have command lists like this? It explains what the move actually does and provides frame data!

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

Just tried the Injustice demo and dang, why cant all games have command lists like this? It explains what the move actually does and provides frame data!

I dunno. I guess I'll go with the tried and true answer of "Japan doesn't care" or something.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Most of the big 'niche' games now are bigger than anything was prior to SF4 coming out but that is apparently not enough now?

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Adopting the LoL model for fighting games is a lovely idea because in Dotalikes (and btw in Dota 2 you get all the characters right from the start) you're expected to be able to play a lot of different characters seriously to be a good player. That means that even if you don't get a hero you want right from the start it's not a big deal - he's just one character in your arsenal. In fighting games most players just have one character that they play seriously, so if you don't get your main right from the start it means you'll have to either grind until your get him or pay for him.

And BTW, how exactly would you handle giving out points in a fighting game? In LoL everything is online, but a lot of fighting game players play very little to no online. Would you give out points for local matches (making it easy to game the system)? Would you give out points for training mode, since that's also an important part of playing a fighting game?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

getitoffgetitoff posted:

And BTW, how exactly would you handle giving out points in a fighting game? In LoL everything is online, but a lot of fighting game players play very little to no online. Would you give out points for local matches (making it easy to game the system)? Would you give out points for training mode, since that's also an important part of playing a fighting game?

Per-character leaderboards of how much combo damage and number of hits you've done would be fun. Perhaps even from various situations like combos off throws or using a specific move. I still think asymmetric choices have no place in competitive games though and thus wouldn't play league of sf.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Jeffrey posted:

Per-character leaderboards of how much combo damage and number of hits you've done would be fun. Perhaps even from various situations like combos off throws or using a specific move. I still think asymmetric choices have no place in competitive games though and thus wouldn't play league of sf.

I have spoken to people who 100% seriously want the call of duty model in fighting games. I would quit fighting games if I suddenly needed to get 500 counter hit hadoukens to use the ex version on ryu, then repeat the process for every shoto.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Ryoga posted:

I have spoken to people who 100% seriously want the call of duty model in fighting games. I would quit fighting games if I suddenly needed to get 500 counter hit hadoukens to use the ex version on ryu, then repeat the process for every shoto.

Ugh, every time you prestige you'd lose all the extra characters too.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
I mean I've done the F2P for character business model in my head:

Basically the characters would amount to a full price game (30-60, initially), and there would be a ton of cosmetic DLC. Think of how the latest VF game works. You can buy sets of items for characters that make a costume, or pick and choose. All characters are free for a beat em up style mode, you can unlock a character after playing a single player mode enough with friends, which would resemble the Smash Brawl single player. The fighting game would need controls closer to Smash which is not as subtractive as one would think, btw, you can add a lot of special moves and buttons to this style of control (so there is a 1 to 1 control scheme between single and multiplayer). This would have the added effect of letting you try characters out before you buy them. This would mean a hardcore player can be really good for a small amount of money or time, but if you want to mess around and stuff, or make your dudes look cool, you can pay whatever you want.

You can definitely work with it. And add more cosmetic content, and add more characters (a few bucks per character) along the way. I don't think it's ridiculous to ask 100 dollars out of someone for a game with ongoing content and patches. Most hardcore fighting game players dump like 100+ dollars on a series anyway. (60 + 40 for the update). 100ish dollars for actual game content a good time out from release if you want every character (which you don't need...) is I think is around the fairest amount of money.

I think this would be fair. You can try characters, buy a bunch of stuff, and you aren't limited to figuring out who you like on a rotation or anything. The only drawback is this would have to be on a closed system. PC would not work.

The game would also have to be good :)

Also I would want to design it because I want to design a fighting game :(

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Waterbed posted:

Too bad it did not remain there

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Waterbed posted:

I have absolutely no idea what the rest of your post was supposed to mean.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

redmercer posted:

Too bad it did not remain there

Haha Henaki you silly guy I agree with this post~

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waterbed posted:

Also I would want to design it because I want to design a fighting game :(
Wish in one hand and post in the other.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
If fighting games become call of duty or LOL I will quit playing them and not look back.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I wonder what the next generation of the top fighting games will bring to the table differently.

SF5? I think SF4 is practically a perfect fighting game. What could they change? Probably focus attacks since the "parry" mechanic is always what changes in between fighting games. I think they realize going 3D is a mistake. perhaps just more of the same, with an even larger roster? I really don't know what they would change to make it objectively better.

MK10? Netcode aside, MK9 has problems, the two biggest in my eyes being character balance and the sluggish block. Balance is strange in MK because everyone has wacky powers so they need to balance it in a rock-paper-scissors style, like how a spammer will get killed by a teleporter, that sort of thing. I realize it would be super difficult to balance, but when everyone uses one of about 4 characters, you know there's a problem. Second, and the reason I stopped playing, was the absurd delay you have when you try to block something. SF has instant blocking and instant release; and it feels great. When you can't punish someone who's jump kicking or even just jabbing, that's a problem. Fix those two problems (and the netcode) and you have a much better game.

MvC4? I don't play this game since it's too much for me and requires entirely different skills but I understand what kind of animal it is and it seems to satisfy very well. I've seen almost the entire roster in play at some point, which is quite impressive. I imagine the next version would have more in the way of synergies and mechanics than actual character changes.

I dunno. Am I wrong in thinking that fighters are reaching a zenith in some franchises and might take a step backwards if they change too much? (Yet how else do you address something getting stale?)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

NarkyBark posted:

MK10? Netcode aside, MK9 has problems, the two biggest in my eyes being character balance and the sluggish block. Balance is strange in MK because everyone has wacky powers so they need to balance it in a rock-paper-scissors style, like how a spammer will get killed by a teleporter, that sort of thing. I realize it would be super difficult to balance, but when everyone uses one of about 4 characters, you know there's a problem. Second, and the reason I stopped playing, was the absurd delay you have when you try to block something. SF has instant blocking and instant release; and it feels great. When you can't punish someone who's jump kicking or even just jabbing, that's a problem. Fix those two problems (and the netcode) and you have a much better game.

The MK devs made a new game called Injustice that addresses a lot of these issues (aside from netcode which is probably still arse).

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

NarkyBark posted:

I dunno. Am I wrong in thinking that fighters are reaching a zenith in some franchises and might take a step backwards if they change too much? (Yet how else do you address something getting stale?)

That was basically the idea behind SF4, to go back to SF2 because it worked well.

FGs are not generally like other games in that, the actual games are just frameworks for people to compete with each other. There are people who have just played ST for years and years because it isn't like playing Final Fantasy for 10 years, the game is the chessboard and the innovation and excitement comes from the players.

My hope for SF5, or MVC4, any series sequel really, is to bring basically the same ideas back that made them popular to begin with but change it enough that the game takes a few years for people to "figure out." There's something different between playing ST (or really even SF4) in 2013 than playing it a year after release. It is exciting when a new FG has just been released and everyone's local scene is grinding to find out what works.

The Street Fighter series doesn't have to do anything revolutionary or even innovative anymore for it to not be stale. If they keep bringing out footsie based 2D fighting games, where many types of playstyles are available, people will enjoy them. The basic design works. Don't outsmart yourself! :)

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The MK devs made a new game called Injustice that addresses a lot of these issues (aside from netcode which is probably still arse).

Some people have it already and say the netcode is improved, but it is day -4 so...

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

NarkyBark posted:

SF5? I think SF4 is practically a perfect fighting game.

Wow this guy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

NarkyBark posted:

SF5? I think SF4 is practically a perfect fighting game.

No offense but how many other fighting games have you played?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
"Perfect Fighting Game" is a title that I think can only really apply to ST and Garou.
Maybe UMK3.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Marvel vs Capcom 1 is the perfect fighting game because it has Captain America's theme in it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Mr. Fun posted:

I have absolutely no idea what the rest of your post was supposed to mean.

You pay for the game, and it comes with all characters playable in single player (which would be a beat em up like Smash's journey mode or whatever it's called). Play enough single player, and you can unlock those characters in multiplayer. Alternatively, you can pay real money to unlock for multiplayer or buy cosmetic DLC like skins and costumes and whatnot. I think Mike Z said he wanted to do this with Skullgirls, where all DLC characters are available in training mode and you'd only have to pay to use them online, so it's a try-before-you-buy model, but I haven't been keeping up with Skullgirls news, so I have no idea if it's still planned that way.

Also, the perfect fighting game is Cyberbots. :colbert:

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

inthesto posted:

You pay for the game, and it comes with all characters playable in single player (which would be a beat em up like Smash's journey mode or whatever it's called). Play enough single player, and you can unlock those characters in multiplayer.

That's the exact opposite of how it should work.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
I feel like a really good idea would be to just ship a game with a lot of fun characters and you don't have to jump through any hoops to play them, you can just enjoy the whole game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Unlocking characters in Marvel vs Capcom 2 was a nightmare. No, game, I don't wanna spend all these points on Bone Wolverine, stop making him show up. I want Gambit. No, not bone wolverine, gambit. :smith:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

AXE COP posted:

While this is what I'd prefer as the end user, I think the point of the thought experiment was to devise a way where players actually pay money for things. Single player ain't gonna do it.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

El Estrago Bonito posted:

"Perfect Fighting Game" is a title that I think can only really apply to ST and Garou.
Maybe UMK3.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Heritage for the Future

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
The future of fighting games is indie developers. Fighters live and die off of their game system rather than the amount of content the game can offer, and big companies just aren't good at design. Inde devs aren't any better at it necessarily, game design as an academic discipline doesn't even really exist so everyone's on pretty equal footing, it's just that smaller teams put creative control in fewer hands and are more willing to put in the work to make something great. The Skullgirls donation drive and Divekick's convention showings have made it pretty clear that there is an interest in fighters outside the FGC; I can't say exactly what impact they'll have on the genera as a whole but I'm interested to find out.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

AXE COP posted:

I never said I liked the idea. It's just that a similar model worked fantastically well for League of Legends, and companies sure do love milking their customers over and over (and judging by how SFxT went over, Capcom is pretty bad at it).

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY

Jmcrofts posted:

Wow this guy.

getitoffgetitoff posted:

No offense but how many other fighting games have you played?

I think it goes without saying that this guy was just giving his opinion. There's no objective judgment that can be made as to which game deserves the honor of being considered the "perfect fighting game," but I'd wager that there are a lot of people out there who share his opinion.

I agree with him, personally. It hooked me in a way other fighting games just weren't able to, but I'm willing to concede that a large part of that might be that living in Japan, and participating in the arcade culture surrounding the game gave it a sense of novelty that I wasn't able to experience during the SF2 or 3 eras. Starting from the very bottom of the arcade rankings and climbing all the way up to Grand Master in the area with the fiercest competition in the whole world (tokyo dudes are strong, man) was a really special experience that no other game has given me. I also honestly just think that the game is a whole god drat boatload of fun.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Mr. Fun posted:

I feel like a really good idea would be to just ship a game with a lot of fun characters and you don't have to jump through any hoops to play them, you can just enjoy the whole game.
Super Street Fighter IV did exactly this, showing that even Capcom can sometimes learn from past errors. All the unlocking poo poo can go jump off a cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What fun characters did SF4 ship with because I'm still trying to find one.

• Locked thread