Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

T-Bone posted:

Thought about Suter, probably would have taken him if I was doing more of a veteran team. He's a great pick. loving gobbles minutes.

28 really isn't veteran. Way I see it, I've got 10 years of a big, powerful top 5 defenseman to log the you minutes and with him as oneof the last guys capable of doing that, and that being a position with the future picks I want to make as very important to this club, I figured I'd really regret passing him up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm just roleplaying Lou I can post more if you want.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Austrian mook posted:

28 really isn't veteran. Way I see it, I've got 10 years of a big, powerful top 5 defenseman to log the you minutes and with him as oneof the last guys capable of doing that, and that being a position with the future picks I want to make as very important to this club, I figured I'd really regret passing him up.

Suter has 582 games played (183rd among active skaters), that's pretty veteran.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
My favorite team so far is Detroit btw. Kovalchuk + The Big E? Amazing. Like the Preds too - OEL + Backstrom is a nice core.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Of the 12 tandems drafted, I'd say the best are Getzlaf/Suter, Pietrangelo/Bergeron and Duchene/Doughty, with the worst being Kane/Lehtonen and Benn/Shattenkirk.

e: Staal/Kovalchuk is pretty good too

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

T-Bone posted:

I'm just roleplaying Lou I can post more if you want.

i think the descriptions of players, especially as we get to more contentious team building philosophy in the later rounds, is probably what would keep me reading this thread. the finished product is neat and all but i wanna hear why someone picks dennis wideman over matt carle or whatever (bite me im using undrafted players wanna fight about it) because the difference between duncan keith or drew doughty is a bit odd, like, they both do everything really well ok there's my argument

ive already got huge writeups for later picks in my mind that poo poo is gonna be fun if people participate

edit: definitely had more fun with the schneider pick which i got to do work on as opposed to the keith pick whom i didnt want until the last minute

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 13, 2013

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Paulocaust posted:

Of the 12 tandems drafted, I'd say the best are Getzlaf/Suter, Pietrangelo/Bergeron and Duchene/Doughty, with the worst being Kane/Lehtonen and Benn/Shattenkirk.

what a shock, a leafs fan unable to evaluate shrewd goaltending pickups !!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Basically and maybe I'm giving my strategy away but it's probably pretty obvious - I think taking these great young players on ELCs/second contracts will allow me to take some of the better veterans with questionable contracts as this goes on. If I was just doing BPA I would have probably taken Kovalchuk (can't believe he fell as far as he did) over Seguin, and three or four guys who are probably about to be picked over RNH.

This might gently caress me over because while not every team is a cap team in the NHL, every team in this draft will be, so maybe I won't be able to pounce on the Bryzgalovbutgoods of the world and end up with a Tambellini special. But the hope is I'll have a more balanced team than other managers who are taking in 15m+ with their first two picks.

At any rate I'm pretty sure I'll have the most cap space after these first two rounds.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 13, 2013

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

T-Bone posted:

Basically and maybe I'm giving my strategy away but it's probably pretty obvious - I think taking these great young players on ELCs/second contracts will allow me to take some of the better veterans with questionable contracts as this goes on. If I was just doing BPA I would have probably taken Kovalchuk (can't believe he fell as far as he did) over Seguin, and three or four guys who are probably about to be picked over RNH.

This might gently caress me over because while not every team is a cap team in the NHL, every team in this draft will be, so maybe I won't be able to pounce on the Bryzgalovbutgoods of the world and end up with a Tambellini special. But the hope is I'll have a more balanced team than other managers who are taking in 15m+ with their first two picks.

At any rate I'm pretty sure I'll have the most cap space after these first two rounds.

this is basically my strategy too. you only get ~3 mil per roster player. cheap good players are going to be nearly impossible to get after round 5 or 6 while there's going to be a billion largely interchangeable vets with lovely contracts people no longer have the luxury of selecting because they have 30 mil locked up in their first four picks. there's been like 15 players taken so far i probably wouldn't take at any pick

(benn + shattenkirk is cheaper than rnh + seguin)

the talent deficit fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 13, 2013

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

there are also a shitton of rookies and elcs that are outperforming by a lot that will still be available in the 4th and 5th round because most people dont know who they are

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The player I have been talking about since the late-20s (________________) has still not been taken.

Also, I go out for a night, and this thread really picks up. Wow!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

the talent deficit posted:

this is basically my strategy too. you only get ~3 mil per roster player. cheap good players are going to be nearly impossible to get after round 5 or 6 while there's going to be a billion largely interchangeable vets with lovely contracts people no longer have the luxury of selecting because they have 30 mil locked up in their first four picks. there's been like 15 players taken so far i probably wouldn't take at any pick

(benn + shattenkirk is cheaper than rnh + seguin)

RNH and Seguin seems like a way higher ceiling pair if you're going for potential. And saying you're going for cheap guys in your top two pucks because you only have 3 mil per player is kind of nonsense. you're not going to get a star veteran in the 10th round. At that rate why not only pick players drafted in the last 3 years for potential and hot hot elcs.

But really if we get more off the board picks before no. 54 that is just fine by me.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Twin Cinema posted:

The player I have been talking about since the late-20s (________________) has still not been taken.

Also, I go out for a night, and this thread really picks up. Wow!

There's one wicked good young forward that is still surprising now that OEL and Pietro are gone. Spezza going so late is amusing but I'd be worried about his back snapping in half at this point.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Paulocaust posted:

I'd put Staal and Kovy as the best, but the thing you have to remeber is that that along with my tandem are the highest cap hits. I'm actually worried about managing this, what happens if someone goes over? And where was that site where you can see how much cap space your team has remaining?

e: still really don't like the Andrew Ladd pick. At all.

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 13, 2013

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It says it at the bottom of the spreadsheet, but you can use http://capgeek.com/ too

e: And yeah I don't think I completely settled with Seguin/RNH. I think they will both turn into elite players which at least gives me hope for the future -- but hopefully I can still manage to surround them with some good veteran talent because of my favorable cap situation. We'll see.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

eXXon posted:

There's one wicked good young forward that is still surprising now that OEL and Pietro are gone. Spezza going so late is amusing but I'd be worried about his back snapping in half at this point.
Oh don't you dare. I know who you root for.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
He's gonna go soon. I thought about him at my pick but RNH seems like more of a sure thing.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Oh don't you dare. I know who you root for.

Huh? Eric Staal is gone already :angel:

I also kind of want to just skip ahead to round 30 and make a half joke, likely illegal pick of an RFA.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Now I get to decide wether or not I should go with a forward or a goalie next.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
gently caress goalies

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

eXXon posted:

RNH and Seguin seems like a way higher ceiling pair if you're going for potential. And saying you're going for cheap guys in your top two pucks because you only have 3 mil per player is kind of nonsense. you're not going to get a star veteran in the 10th round. At that rate why not only pick players drafted in the last 3 years for potential and hot hot elcs.

But really if we get more off the board picks before no. 54 that is just fine by me.

seguin is awesome and i would have taken him if i could have but rnh is kind of expensive and mostly valuable for his potential. i don't think he is a bad pick but he went earlier than i expected

also, i do think there will be star nhl veterans available in round 10. i think a lot of guys will slide when people realize how little cap room they have when their first 6-8 picks cost an average of 5.5 mil

shattenkirk is obviously a worse player than some of the dmen i could have taken, but shattenkirk plus any one of the horde of #3/4 dmen making 5.5 mil still available in the middle rounds is going to be way preferable to suter and the type of player making league minimum you're going to get in rounds 12+

in the real nhl you can't construct a team like this because there's limited ways to acquire undervalued players so you have to pay market rate for a large portion of your team. there's no such constraint in this format

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That's what I'm sayin'

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Austrian mook posted:

Now I get to decide wether or not I should go with a forward or a goalie next.

The Red Wings Sez: If you draft elite defense and two-way forwards, you don't need to pony up big for a goalie.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

But there are 30 teams drafting and they can all spend to the cap. Total NHL cap hits are not nearly 70 million x 30 teams because at least 10 teams spend way under the cap. Expensive but good vets won't last 10 rounds because there will be 10 other teams waiting to pounce after 4 or 5.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

We need a GM bitching about how the cap rules really don't apply to them.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

T-Bone posted:

My favorite team so far is Detroit btw. Kovalchuk + The Big E? Amazing. Like the Preds too - OEL + Backstrom is a nice core.

The Big E moniker belongs to Lindros and no one else :colbert:

eXXon posted:

I also kind of want to just skip ahead to round 30 and make a half joke, likely illegal pick of an RFA.

Alex Radulov, come on down?

Boomer The Cannon posted:

We need a GM bitching about how the cap rules really don't apply to them.

Which team is using smughomer.jpg as their GM picture?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

eXXon posted:

But there are 30 teams drafting and they can all spend to the cap. Total NHL cap hits are not nearly 70 million x 30 teams because at least 10 teams spend way under the cap. Expensive but good vets won't last 10 rounds because there will be 10 other teams waiting to pounce after 4 or 5.

I can make a Travis Zajac joke right now can't I? That couldn't possibly be construed as tampering.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

eXXon posted:

right but many of the nhl teams are under the cap via the luxury of having many of their key players on ELCs or otherwise very good value contracts. if you don't get those guys you end up having to fill those spots with overpaid over the hill veterans. there's always going to be some of those available but when you only have 13 mil to pay 5 forwards, 2 dmen and a backup goalie your options are going to be basically players no one has heard of and players no one wants

the talent deficit fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 13, 2013

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Elvin Hayes is the Big E.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
uh...

we won't all be spending to the cap?

There isn't enough salary out there for us to all spend to the cap.

We're drafting the entire NHL playerbase here guys.

Also RNH and Seguin is a loving weird 1-2 combo and I don't like it at all. (I like the players, individually, I just think teams built around 20 year old centermen are going to be pretty poo poo for a couple years. They're not Malkin and Crosby either.)

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
it is going to be weird when the Florida Panthers are a dynasty in 2016, very weird indeed

e: Seguin/RNH aren't Crosby/Malkin, but they could be Toews/Kane.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 13, 2013

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Wow, great pace! Got home just in time.

For the record, Kovalchuk was the guy I was flabbergasted about not going earlier. And OEL was a sick pick.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

Paulocaust posted:

Someone PM mozza for his turn. I'm pretty sure T-Bone and Austrianmook are here so he'll be up really soon.

Her/She!

I'll post my pick in a minute.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Vigilance is around too, so we should get at least another 3 in tonight. Haibbi is the Kings GM and he got consensused in the first round so that may finish it for tonight.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Habibi PMed me back and said he didn't realize the thread moved so fast and I apparently didn't PM him. I thought I did. He's active.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

With their second round pick, the Islanders waveringly select Corey Perry.

This was an extremely difficult pick, especially because I believe in the philosophy of building through centres and defensemen, yet I'm breaking the rules on my first two selections. I was prepared to select Pietrangelo, Kovalchuk, and OEL, in that order. I'm leaving a very, very good defenseman on the table and might end up regretting it. Perry has a massive cap hit, and I feel like I'm almost talking myself out of this pick, but he's an elite goal-scorer and Hart trophy winner coming to the Eastern Conference.

$8.625 million until 2021, 27 years old, 205g/224a/429p in 530gp. Hart trophy, Rocket Richard, Stanley Cup.

- - Perry ($8.625M)
- - -
- - -
- - -

- -
- -
- -

Quick ($5.8M)
-

mozza fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 13, 2013

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Yeah, Perry is great, but his cap hit is pretty high. I'm glad I got to pick my next guy.

With the 44th pick in the draft, the New Jersey Devils are proud to select, Gabriel Landeskog.

20, C
$3.775 cap hit through 2013-14

Landeskog follows the mold of Zach Parise -- he is wise beyond his years despite being just 20 years old. He hits like a madman, plays excellent defense, and never takes a shift off. Right now he's a 20-goal guy but he has the talent to bud into a 70-point player.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

gently caress Corey Perry

For Eternity

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

First of all I'd like to thank the fine city of Newark for hosting this draft. The Pittsburgh Penguins select, from Trencin, Czech. (SVK), Zdeno Chara

36, D, 6,900,000 cap hit.

Is he old? Yup. Expensive? Sure. But here in Pittsburgh we're in the business of contending for Stanley Cups, and we think with Chara and Lundqvist as a core we'll have a wonderful shot for the next few years of bringing home a title. We feel Chara brings a stability to our back end that, when combined with Henrik in net, will lead to immense frustration for other teams attempting to score goals on us. The best defensive defenseman in the world has just been united with the best goalie in the world. That's something that hasn't happened since the days of Brodeur and Scott Stevens in New Jersey, and we all know the success that the Devils had with those two center pieces.

The name of the game is winning Stanley Cups baby, and with these two guys I like our chances against anybody in the league.

e: As an aside, I like the Perry pick. I'm surprised how keen people are in here on building for the future though. There are a ton of awesome veterans available who are getting overlooked. IMO there is no way I should have gotten Chara and Lundqvist. But I can see other GMs here have more of a long term out look than I do. Not that I'm going full vet per se but, well, you'll have to wait and see how I go moving forward.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
new favorite core is Chara/Lundqvist that's gotta be the early cup favorite

• Locked thread