Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

RBA Starblade posted:

I was thinking that, but he's surrounded by berserkers, assassins, sages, snipers, and wyvern lords, so they'd just die. If I just unequip Chrom's weapon, will the guy only attack him? That might work.

e: Two people posted before I did, thanks, I'll try that. Kind of an annoying gimmick. Does anyone else in the series need you to chat them up nonstop?

Cathy from Sealed of Sword required you to talk to her once for multiple maps. For a thief that was inferior to your other thiefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
At least she was nice enough to supply you with more lockpicks?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

RBA Starblade posted:

I was thinking that, but he's surrounded by berserkers, assassins, sages, snipers, and wyvern lords, so they'd just die. If I just unequip Chrom's weapon, will the guy only attack him? That might work.

e: Two people posted before I did, thanks, I'll try that. Kind of an annoying gimmick. Does anyone else in the series need you to chat them up nonstop?

Katarina in New Mystery was basically the same deal as Gangrel, except the map was so small basically everyone was in her threat range.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Xavier in FE5 has a much, much more annoying gimmick, although it didn't involve chatting multiple times.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Cake Attack posted:

Xavier in FE5 has a much, much more annoying gimmick, although it didn't involve chatting multiple times.

Sure it did, nine times to be exact. It's just that you only had to do it once.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
There's also Naesala in FE9 who you have to talk to with two different units without killing any of the ravens on the map (while they all try to attack you). I guess you don't recruit him, but you get a nice item and some good BEXP for his ravens surviving.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My unit's are way harder to hit than I thought, so I was able to get him. The guy had better targets but only went after Chrom, I figured he'd try for a critical hit on someone else; that's what all the other AI do.

quote:

I started the series at 7, what'd you have to do there?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

RBA Starblade posted:

I started the series at 7, what'd you have to do there?

So basically there were eight civilians on the map and also eight Knights near Xavier and each one of the civvies had to talk with a specific knight and all eight of them had to do it to get Xavier and also there were a bunch of guys with Javelins and also unrelated Generals near Xavier that will kill the civvies with impunity and the map's very constrained and the civvies can't get through your units so you have to play Leaf's Army In Pursuit of Victory: Rotating Door Edition. Also you can't kill any of the Javelin guys or you don't get the Silver Card.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

alcharagia posted:

So basically there were eight civilians on the map and also eight Knights near Xavier and each one of the civvies had to talk with a specific knight and all eight of them had to do it to get Xavier and also there were a bunch of guys with Javelins and also unrelated Generals near Xavier that will kill the civvies with impunity and the map's very constrained and the civvies can't get through your units so you have to play Leaf's Army In Pursuit of Victory: Rotating Door Edition. Also you can't kill any of the Javelin guys or you don't get the Silver Card.

That sounds absolutely horrifying. Was Xavier even worth getting after all that?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

That sounds absolutely horrifying. Was Xavier even worth getting after all that?

Of course not. Did you even need to ask?

He was a general in the least general friendly game in the series. So, basically dead weight.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

FE4 was way more unfriendly to generals than FE5. I mean, Generals are awful in every game but at least they might actually see combat in other games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

FE4 was way more unfriendly to generals than FE5. I mean, Generals are awful in every game but at least they might actually see combat in other games.

Eh, you can make an argument that Generals are better end-game physical hitters over Great Knights, especially if they're for support. They have a weird combination of the highest attack with above-average skill and it's not like movement is a problem with Rescue, Movement rallies, pair-ups, etc.

I could've sworn Gatrie was pretty good in one of the Ike games.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tae posted:

Eh, you can make an argument that Generals are better end-game physical hitters over Great Knights, especially if they're for support. They have a weird combination of the highest attack with above-average skill and it's not like movement is a problem with Rescue, Movement rallies, pair-ups, etc.

Gatrie has a pretty absurd speed growth in Radiant Dawn (60%), but Generals are pretty screwed by their caps and movement. He does well up until Endgame though. And Oswin in FE7 is pretty great, though since he doesn't help a ton with low turn count/ranked play (which is all anyone who talks about FE7 seems to talk about) he's usually overlooked.

Awakening definitely has Generals at the best they've ever been.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FE6 gave generals a triangle attack!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

RBA Starblade posted:

My unit's are way harder to hit than I thought, so I was able to get him. The guy had better targets but only went after Chrom, I figured he'd try for a critical hit on someone else; that's what all the other AI do.

I've found he preferentially attacks Chrom. Sort of has a vendetta against the guy. At least it makes him easier to recruit!

Also, go and read the Let's Plays of the older Fire Emblem games in the archive. Get yourself up to snuff!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Gatrie was actually exceptionally good in Path of Radiance thanks to the Knight Ward boosting his Speed growth. Problem was that as good as Generals were in PoR, Paladins were even better and had more movement and removement and literally all of them but Geoffrey could get Axes on promotion (or already had them, like Titania) and your Paladin train + Ike basically curbstomped everything.

Tauroneo was also good, but that's because of FE9's insanely broken Resolve skill.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
^I always thought the big problem with Taureneo in FE9 was that Resolve was too hard for him to use. Since he joined with such high Defense and Resistance, it was pretty hard to actually get him to low enough HP for Resolve to activate. Well, that and as you said, low movement, especially since most of the maps after you get him are fairly large.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Tae posted:

Ugh, out of all the females Emmeryn is by far the worst. The male support conversation is 10 times more creepy than what people think of Nowi.

I remember somebody talking about, uh, "taking advantage of the cute mentally disabled girl" on another forum? :stonk:

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I remember somebody talking about, uh, "taking advantage of the cute mentally disabled girl" on another forum? :stonk:

That was serenes as well, by the way. All the anime creepers have come out in droves after Awakening. On the bright side, people called him out soon enough.

Also, I don't like Aversa. Her support is clearly taking the piss at the brother-sister thing in Japan (at least her localisation is) but I can't say I find her especially pleasant regardless. At least she's not a complete dick to Morgan the way Walhart is. It's a shame that the spotpass characters are either boring, nasty or just flat-out creepy.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SC Bracer posted:

That was serenes as well, by the way. All the anime creepers have come out in droves after Awakening. On the bright side, people called him out soon enough.

Also, I don't like Aversa. Her support is clearly taking the piss at the brother-sister thing in Japan (at least her localisation is) but I can't say I find her especially pleasant regardless. At least she's not a complete dick to Morgan the way Walhart is. It's a shame that the spotpass characters are either boring, nasty or just flat-out creepy.

Did you just insult Gangrel? I think you just insulted Gangrel. :colbert:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Wind God Sety posted:

^I always thought the big problem with Taureneo in FE9 was that Resolve was too hard for him to use. Since he joined with such high Defense and Resistance, it was pretty hard to actually get him to low enough HP for Resolve to activate. Well, that and as you said, low movement, especially since most of the maps after you get him are fairly large.
It's not too hard, I've found, as long as you're playing on a harder difficulty. And Resolve is just so good in PoR (1.5x STR/SKL/SPD? Jesus) that it turns Tauroneo into a drat fine fighter who doubles just about everybody and hits like a truck while also being able to survive at Resolve range thanks to his great DEF/RES. It's better on Ike, but since scrolls/skills are unremovable in FE9 it's a definite point in Tauroneo's favor to have the skill for free.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tae posted:

Oswin was pretty great in seven as well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Oswin was pretty great in seven as well.

Oswin's bases are great but his growths? Eh.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Okay, what would be the I deal to pass down from Nowi to a Donnel-fathered Nah? I'm not really in love with any of her skills, on the whole, and I really don't care for turn-dependent boosts like Odd Rhythm.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Zore posted:

Awakening definitely has Generals at the best they've ever been.

Eh, they seem more like pair up fodder than actual units. I'd say FE11 and 12 had generals at their best, since you couldn't just dodge everything.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Serifina posted:

Okay, what would be the I deal to pass down from Nowi to a Donnel-fathered Nah? I'm not really in love with any of her skills, on the whole, and I really don't care for turn-dependent boosts like Odd Rhythm.

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/children.html

This may be able to help you a little bit in terms of deciding. For Nowi passing to Nah, I suggest passing her any level 15 skill from one of the second classes. I personally passed her Lifetaker. From Donnel, you should pass Counter, as Nah cannot learn it naturally...and Counter is always great streetpass trolling material.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Lifetaker, Deliverer, or Swordbreaker are really the only good mother passdowns to Nah. Lifetaker is nice to keep her going while she levels, Deliverer gives her extra movement which can be nice, and Swordbreaker works for Wyrmslayers, but you're not likely to actually see very many of those in most maps.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Nowi doesn't have anything Nah won't be able to get herself, and none of them are really that good to begin with. From Donnel alone, Nah can get Galeforce, Armsthrift, Sol, and Axebreaker (and Aptitude, if you have Donny pass it down :getin:), and it's painless for Nah to get Wyrmsbane considering she'll start as a L10 Manakete. I guess Lifetaker is the probably the best of Nowi's skills, if you want to make an unstoppable killing machine, or Deliverer for the extra movement.

Artix fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 16, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Oswin's bases are great but his growths? Eh.
Oswin's bases carried him through his meh growths. He only really trails off at the very end of the game, and by that time you usually have so many spare deployment slots that he's still worth tossing otu there. Only exception is the very last map.

Wallace is terrible, though.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Endorph posted:

Wallace is terrible, though.

Someone clearly didn't play on hard mode and grind him up to 20 before promotion. :cheeky:

He's actually an incredible unit if you can be assed to do that, though it's certainly a bit of a drag.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Someone clearly didn't play on hard mode and grind him up to 20 before promotion. :cheeky:

He's actually an incredible unit if you can be assed to do that, though it's certainly a bit of a drag.
Yeah except you could've done the same thing with Kent or Sain and had Super Marcus in Eliwood/Hector Mode, in addition to Regular Marcus.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I wouldn't go that far even if you did grind him up. Sain or Kent would do better with that Knight's Crest. Besides, the map you recruit him on is terrible and should be avoided.

Have I mentioned how great it is that Awakening has no fog of war? Because it's pretty awesome. :allears:

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Artix posted:

Nowi doesn't have anything Nah won't be able to get herself, and none of them are really that good to begin with. From Donnel alone, Nah can get Galeforce, Armsthrift, Sol, and Axebreaker (and Aptitude, if you have Donny pass it down :getin:), and it's painless for Nah to get Wyrmsbane considering she'll start as a L10 Manakete. I guess Lifetaker is the probably the best of Nowi's skills, if you want to make an unstoppable killing machine, or Deliverer for the extra movement.

Shoot, I forgot that Nah couldn't get the Hero class!

Yeah, forget my previous statement about Counter; pass Armsthrift!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Actually, no, he's not. His averages are worse than Oswin's in every stat even at 20/1. 2 less HP, 1 less STR, 2 less SKL, 2 less SPD, 2 less DEF, 2 less RES. He has 6 more LCK, but LCK doesn't really matter much for generals.

And yeah, if you're grinding someone to 20/1 in Lyn's story, make it Kent or Sain. They actually WOULD kick rear end, then.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Slur posted:

...But she can, if Donny is her dad. Hero isn't a gender-exclusive class. You're better off passing down aptitude or something, since Counter is only really useful in Streetpass.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Slur posted:

Yeah she can. Anyone who passes down Hero through Mercenary will pass it to daughters, it's just the dads that only pass it down through Fighter that don't, like Gaius.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Slur posted:

What? Nah can become a Hero. The exclusive male class is Fighter->Warrior/Berserker for Nah.

Yeah she can. Anyone who passes down Hero through Mercenary will pass it to daughters, it's just the dads that only pass it down through Fighter that don't, like Gaius.

But not Vaike :argh:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I don't quite see the point of passing down Armsthrift when Dragonstones+ are available from SpotPass Tiki. Is there some other non-manakete build I am not seeing here if I have DLC?

...Bride?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Tae posted:

What? Nah can become a Hero. The exclusive male class is Fighter->Warrior/Berserker for Nah.

My memory's really jumbled, and I honestly need to stop posing at 10 in the morning. I thought Donnel didn't pass Mercenary, and then I thought it through again and realized he did.

Pass Counter.

Also, I'm going to be keeping Olivia in my party because of her S rank support with Chrom. What's her best finishing class?

Slur fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I don't quite see the point of passing down Armsthrift when Dragonstones+ are available from SpotPass Tiki. Is there some other non-manakete build I am not seeing here if I have DLC?

...Bride?

Why would you ever pass down Armsthrift when Nah can get it on her own? Pass Aptitude or Counter from Donnel. And besides, Armsthrift is more for infinite Forged Brave/Legendary weapons than Dragonstones, though it is nice to stick a Dragonstone+ on her and never have to worry about arming her again.

Artix fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 16, 2013

• Locked thread