Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Darko posted:

That's not how Clark has been written for around 30 years.

Smallville got a lot wrong, but the idea that Clark is who he is, and Superman the public perception of him, is pretty much correct as for the basic modern realization (and something I prefer in general).

Well you're talking about the comics, I'm talking about the movies, including Superman Returns. Clark was made to where everyone around him thought he was a moron who was always knocking into stuff and the like. I don't mind Superman's "human" identity being one where he tries to fit in, but I always had a problem with his alter-ego actually sucking and being someone you generally wouldn't want helping you with anything.

Thwomp posted:

The Donner Superman movie did a lot right and some wrong but getting Clark-the-reporter as different and un-Superman as possible was one of the things it did really well.

See, I see it as the weakest parts of those movies. Man of Steel seems to be making Clark out to be a guy who just wants to be normal but the reality of his life catches up to him and he realizes that being a hero is his responsibility and destiny, and that is much more interesting to me than situations where people don't recognize him because he's in glasses and a suit. I mean come on.

Those movies really made me feel like someone not quickly seeing that Superman and Clark are the same person was less believable than him flying around the globe so fast that he reverses time. ("It always seems like when Superman shows up you're never around!" That's because you've got Downs Syndrome, Lois.)

berserker fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Mortanis posted:

Christopher Reeve always had that "Big Blue Boyscout" quality on screen. He had a perfect, friendly sort of smile. The trailer's convinced me that Cavill can pull the serious off, and I'm hopeful he can also do the lighthearted stuff as well.

I think one thing that made Reeve stick out to me was not just his friendly smile, and great portrayal as both Kent and Superman (his portrayal as Kent wasn't really meek at all, but still worked great), but when Lois dies in the film, Superman's freakout was absolutely shocking. As in makes you go 'HOLY poo poo AUGH' when he screams and immediately flies at the screen with a horrible grimace on his face. It's near the top of my list of scenes that provoke an immediate, instinctive emotional response.

Also the sound effect was really cool - bravo to the sound editor, it really did sound like he was screaming at 10,000 decibels. And it didn't require any cheesy VFX on the screen. You instinctively know he's screaming as loud as Mount Pinatubo exploding without the film doing crappy handholding of "we have to draw lines and ripples on the screen to show how loud it is"

edit: this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxF3kNmJ7tk

Goreld fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 17, 2013

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

berserker posted:

Well you're talking about the comics, I'm talking about the movies, including Superman Returns. Clark was made to where everyone around him thought he was a moron who was always knocking into stuff and the like. I don't mind Superman's "human" identity being one where he tries to fit in, but I always had a problem with his alter-ego actually sucking and being someone you generally wouldn't want helping you with anything.

I'm including all other Superman media in that really (thus the mention of Smallville). In the Animated Series, Clark was only unassuming, really, not "bumbling" as well. The Donner movies drew from the Silver Age, and, well. Basically, I'm saying not to worry about it.

This is why nobody thinks Superman is Clark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbQBI1ZMugo

Darko fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 17, 2013

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

berserker posted:

That's all well and good but the problem is that at least in the original movies, people who are close to Clark and/or Superman, especially Lois, still don't recognize him when he has glasses on. It's just stupid. Every time I'd watch the films, I remember thinking "man Lois is retarded." On top of that I always felt that Christopher Reeve's Clark Kent was not just "superman come down to human level" but played like a bumbling fool. I don't really want that in a more "realistically" toned Superman film.

Especially if they're taking the movie down a "first contact" direction, I think it would be much more interesting for there to be no differentiation between Clark Kent and Superman aside from Kent being the human name he goes by, since he was of course raised by the Kents. People know him as Clark Kent, but they also know he is "The Superman". I mean, why not?
I'm not sure why Lois, and society as a whole, being unable to compromise who they see as 'Clark' and who they see as 'Superman' should be criticized as 'stupid'. It's a pretty central element to the story. Also, what in the world in the marketing released for this movie sets a 'realistic' tone? I think Returns was a 'realistic' portrayal of Superman and it seems to be universally panned by comic fans.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Cellophane S posted:

He also added some poo poo at the end about a snail on a razor blade, not sure what that was all about.

"As long as you don't move too quickly, you'll be fine."

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp

Forgot how powerful that scene was before the retcon.

You don't really get a scene so simple and raw these days.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
That was a fantastic trailer, except for the lame joke at the end (SUPERFARTS), I hope the movies lives up to it. The music was awesome!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cellophane S posted:

Except that he enjoys being a reporter, it's a job he loves doing.

There was a really good arc in the recent volume of Action Comics that dealt with the whole Clark/Superman relationship and his job as a reporter. He lets everyone think Clark died in a bomb blast and pretends to be a new guy (a firefighter named Johnny Clark) who isn't really a secret identity and was more of a day job. At the end of the arc Batman gives him a flash drive showing him just how many people Clark Kent has helped through his reporting.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SquareDog posted:

That was a fantastic trailer, except for the lame joke at the end (SUPERFARTS), I hope the movies lives up to it. The music was awesome!

Uhh, I'm not sure that was even a considered joke there. Him excusing himself was probably having to do with something happening and him about to leave...or another of his powers magically loving with the radio.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SquareDog posted:

Superfarts? What are you talking about here?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
He's talking about the burst of static just as Lois was about to say "Superman."

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

AnonSpore posted:

He's talking about the burst of static just as Lois was about to say "Superman."

I took it as "something is going wrong, maybe Zod is in the base and just killed the radio operator, excuse me while I go kick his rear end."

I don't think the word Superman will be mentioned at all, or maybe they'll show it in a headline on a newspaper right before the final credits.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

AnonSpore posted:

Which also looks like an edit made solely for the trailer.

Fireless Phoenix
May 4, 2012

by Lowtax

SquareDog posted:

That was a fantastic trailer, except for the lame joke at the end (SUPERFARTS),

:what:
While we're on it, I love that sequence. Cavill and Adams really have great chemistry unlike some other superawesomeomg franchises I know (Ahem, Nolan's Batman).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Amy Adams is a great choice for Lois. I hope she can redefine the character the same way Kidder did.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I knew Zack Snyder would be a fun choice. All I want in a Superman movie is real life Dragonball Z action.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline
No slo-mo in sight. Everything is alright.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
No slo-mo at all. In fact, what struck me in the trailer was how fast the action played out. That might be sped up for the trailer and it might be draining if it's hours and hours of it, but there's something to be said for the feeling of having to strain to keep up. It really communicates what "faster than a speeding bullet" really means.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline
Yeah I'm still struggling to picture how faster-than-sound movement in full 360 degrees translates in a fight. Superman and Zod can literally move to any location up or down in the blink of an eye. It's going to make for a hell of an IMAX viewing.

This is the type of poo poo im talking about.

Dirk Digglet fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 18, 2013

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Something I haven't seen mentioned here is that LARRY FUCKIN' FISHBURNE Is playing Perry White. At this point, I'm not sure there's anything that can get me more excited.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

Something I haven't seen mentioned here is that LARRY FUCKIN' FISHBURNE Is playing Perry White. At this point, I'm not sure there's anything that can get me more excited.

It was discussed when we first learned it. It's a great decision. He plays a boss character on Hannibal and he's great. I'm also for anything that pisses off racists and 'purists.'

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Along the lines of purists: if Jimmy Olsen really has been reimagined as "Jenny," I'm 100% okay with it and in fact thing it's a good idea. Between Jenny, Martha Kent, Lara Lor-Van, Faora, and Lois Lane that's a lot of female characters, which we can always use more of in superhero films.

If it really bothers people, just head-canon it that Jimmy transitioned to "Jenny" a little while back. Considering what we know about Jimmy Olsen, would it surprise a n y b o d y to find out if he/she was trans?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Loved that trailer...except the music, which was bleh. But Zimmer so I was sort of expecting that.

Still, everything else made up for it in spades! Might we be getting ACTION? In a SUPERMAN movie???

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Mike From Nowhere posted:

Along the lines of purists: if Jimmy Olsen really has been reimagined as "Jenny," I'm 100% okay with it and in fact thing it's a good idea. Between Jenny, Martha Kent, Lara Lor-Van, Faora, and Lois Lane that's a lot of female characters, which we can always use more of in superhero films.

If it really bothers people, just head-canon it that Jimmy transitioned to "Jenny" a little while back. Considering what we know about Jimmy Olsen, would it surprise a n y b o d y to find out if he/she was trans?

Absolutely. I saw that on IMDB (fwiw) and I love the idea.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ComposerGuy posted:

Loved that trailer...except the music, which was bleh. But Zimmer so I was sort of expecting that.

Still, everything else made up for it in spades! Might we be getting ACTION? In a SUPERMAN movie???

Which of Zimmer's work do you consider not bleh? I'd value your opinion either way, since it seems like you are actually a composer as your username suggests :)

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

teagone posted:

Which of Zimmer's work do you consider not bleh? I'd value your opinion either way, since it seems like you are actually a composer as your username suggests :)

Lately?

I dug his first Sherlock Holmes score. Unique instrumentation in that one with some fun ideas.

The best thing he's ever done was The Lion King in my opinion (his score for Prince of Egypt was killer as well)...but I assume you meant more recent.

EDIT: ALSO! Me being a composer should IN NO WAY vault my opinion over anyone else's. Ever. Music is a subjective medium. I have studied it, yes, but I studied it to learn how to be a better composer and learn how to use my skills. Being a composer and being a listener are two different things. And everyone is qualified to be the latter.

ComposerGuy fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 18, 2013

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hans Zimmer was responsible for the Pirates of the Caribbean main theme right? Because I love the gently caress out of that score, 'He's a Pirate' especially.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Dirk Digglet posted:

Yeah I'm still struggling to picture how faster-than-sound movement in full 360 degrees translates in a fight. Superman and Zod can literally move to any location up or down in the blink of an eye. It's going to make for a hell of an IMAX viewing.

This is the type of poo poo im talking about.

My son is 10 years old, we just saw Jurassic Park in IMAX 3D, and will be seeing this opening weekend. Can you imagine being a 10 year old boy and getting to see this?

You know what came out when I was 10? loving Superman III. Lucky little jerk.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

My son is 10 years old, we just saw Jurassic Park in IMAX 3D, and will be seeing this opening weekend. Can you imagine being a 10 year old boy and getting to see this?

You know what came out when I was 10? loving Superman III. Lucky little jerk.

Haha, you're an awesome dad :3:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mike From Nowhere posted:

And let's face it, Jimmy becoming a woman would be, by far, the least bizarre of his transformations over the years.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

ComposerGuy posted:

Lately?

I dug his first Sherlock Holmes score. Unique instrumentation in that one with some fun ideas.

The best thing he's ever done was The Lion King in my opinion (his score for Prince of Egypt was killer as well)...but I assume you meant more recent.

EDIT: ALSO! Me being a composer should IN NO WAY vault my opinion over anyone else's. Ever. Music is a subjective medium. I have studied it, yes, but I studied it to learn how to be a better composer and learn how to use my skills. Being a composer and being a listener are two different things. And everyone is qualified to be the latter.

Not to get too off-topic with musical score chat but what Zimmer's Superman score really reminded me of was a drum and bugle corps. It is a "typical" fanfare that relies more on volume and percussive force (I always dubbed this a "wall of sound") than actual melody. That said, while a fanfare is not inspired musically, it is inspiring to listen to: which is precisely what the score in the trailer made me feel.

Not to mention I can't get the drat thing out of my head. The percussion/drum line that Zimmer has going in the theme takes center stage and the rhythm just won't go away.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

McSpanky posted:

And let's face it, Jimmy becoming a woman would be, by far, the least bizarre of his transformations over the years.

You can only marry so many gorillas before you just throw in the towel.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't mind the possible Jimmy thing to happen-I just object to it resulting in a new love interest/crush.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Burkion posted:

I don't mind the possible Jimmy thing to happen-I just object to it resulting in a new love interest/crush.

I cannot see that being the road they take that prospective change at all. Given that there are a lot more women getting into, and doing succesfully, in Journalism now than ever, at least where I am, it's a change I welcome.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ComposerGuy posted:

I'd say it's the opposite of "bleh" since NO ONE expects Superman to ever be scored with heavy percussion (hell, does his Williams theme have any percussive outside of like three highlights and some sparse rhythm cymbal hits?), and it -works-; given that it's the main thing driving the trailer that everyone loves as-is.

What drives Williams' theme is the heavy brass counter-scoring (while people can hum the main section, it's the constant countering that really drives the emotions), and the heavy drums/Pharrell/whatever in this drives this in the same manner - with the heavy percussion creating more immediacy than horns in reaction. And, it provides a nice sibling/counter to Batman in that as well.

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

DFu4ever posted:

Which also looks like an edit made solely for the trailer.

Came here to post this. From the trailer, and that very obvious looking edit, it looks like Lois will coin the name "Superman" for him.

EDIT: Zod will call him Kal-el throughout, and then sarcastically call him Superman. :colbert:

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Namaste posted:

EDIT: Zod will call him Kal-el throughout, and then sarcastically call him Superman. :colbert:

Not even that, he's not even his own person to Zod, just the "son of Jor-El." So let's hear that the whole movie until the payoff we all know is coming:

"The name's Superman, Zod. And you're done threatening this planet and its people. Forever."

>sonic boom nut-punch<

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
I love all the silliness of Superman being handcuffed. And the guys hiding behind the mirror from a guy that has super hearing and can see through walls.
Superman just looks having fun with all that.

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

JonathonSpectre posted:

Not even that, he's not even his own person to Zod, just the "son of Jor-El." So let's hear that the whole movie until the payoff we all know is coming:

"The name's Superman, Zod. And you're done threatening this planet and its people. Forever."

>sonic boom nut-punch<

Ahh, yes. Even better. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Captain Quack posted:

I love all the silliness of Superman being handcuffed. And the guys hiding behind the mirror from a guy that has super hearing and can see through walls.
Superman just looks having fun with all that.

I can see the excuse me line leading to him just walking out and they realize they never had control over him at all.

• Locked thread