Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

PeterPants posted:

it's not that nobody is developing for OUYA, it's that nobody is developing for OUYA on OUYA. OUYA games are made on other platforms first.

So what on earth is the OUYA for? All these developers will port their existing games to OUYA because all the sales from that will be like "FREE MONEY" or something?

I think this is what the backers had in mind for the OUYA launch, but you can't give each of us a sprinkle of Tinkuhrbell's UNCONSOLE dust.

Tanith fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Noyemi K posted:

What the gently caress? Did she get a picture of an assembly line and add that text in with Paint or something?

I heard the word Gullible isn't in the dictionary.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
EDIT: Or I'm an idiot too, nevermind

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Good news, everyone! My extensive OUYA Amazon sales rank tracking has proved useful. Right now the OUYA is ranked #737 among all video games products. This is a new low for them, a full hundred ranks lower than the previous record, #637 from 3/25. It's also low enough to knock them off the Top 100 New Releases list, for the first time that I've seen.

How much lower can they get? Will they ever rebound at all, or is it full free-fall mode from here? I'll try to keep good records so we can at least have some very entertaining charts when all of this is said and done.

(some of this post may be slightly tongue in cheek)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I heard the word Gullible isn't in the dictionary.

After that chart, nothing is too ridiculous.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

After that chart, nothing is too ridiculous.

Actually, you're right. I still can't believe it, though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
That assembly line picture is a joke, there's no way she posted that.

I mean, really?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I couldn't GIS the original image very easily if it matters to anyone. :shrug:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

XboxPants posted:

Good news, everyone! My extensive OUYA Amazon sales rank tracking has proved useful. Right now the OUYA is ranked #737 among all video games products. This is a new low for them, a full hundred ranks lower than the previous record, #637 from 3/25. It's also low enough to knock them off the Top 100 New Releases list, for the first time that I've seen.

How much lower can they get? Will they ever rebound at all, or is it full free-fall mode from here? I'll try to keep good records so we can at least have some very entertaining charts when all of this is said and done.

(some of this post may be slightly tongue in cheek)

The best part is that there's literally no way your chart will be worse than Julie's.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I couldn't GIS the original image very easily if it matters to anyone. :shrug:

Honestly, if not for the IGN watermark it wouldn't have been that much of a stretch.

(and even then, I mean... she did previously work at IGN. maybe it's an old stock image she had lying around :tinfoil:)

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

I can't NOT see that stupid white line on the top of the ANALRAPE logo. The graphic designer in me cringes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

XboxPants posted:

I realize that, I posted because theflyingorc keeps on going on about how there are so few posts on the OUYA dev forum and how it's really bad news that no one's developing for it. Except that doesn't make sense because "ouya developer" really means "pc/android developer" so an inactive OUYA board doesn't really mean much.

Yes being an OUYA developer makes you a PC developer much like how the RPG I programmed on my graphing calculator in highschool really meant I was a gameboy developer.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

XboxPants posted:

IGN watermark

Oh goddammit how did I not notice that.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yes being an OUYA developer makes you a PC developer much like how the RPG I programmed on my graphing calculator in highschool really meant I was a gameboy developer.

The developers that release games on OUYA are typically either PC developers or developers with a wider Android experience, but not necessarily any specific OUYA experience. Does that make sense?

(note that if you read that what I just said and thought I was saying that's a positive thing, your reading is broken)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Three simple words. That's all it takes.

"pc/android developer" elicits a level of ignorance of technology I've never seen before in a human. That's just gold.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Nobody has OUYA developing experience, the console is barely even on the market. Of course your developers are coming from other platforms, the gently caress are you trying to say?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bagina posted:

I can't NOT see that stupid white line on the top of the ANALRAPE logo. The graphic designer in me cringes.

I can only see it when it gets pulled out and slapped on something else.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Nobody has OUYA developing experience, the console is barely even on the market. Of course your developers are coming from other platforms, the gently caress are you trying to say?

It's not just that they're from other platforms, they're going to stay there, too. Even the ones that end up releasing really cool games for OUYA. What I'm saying is that very few OUYA games will ever be developed on the system itself. The reason I got onto this topic was to talk about why there's so little posting on the OUYA dev board.

Even if every indie developer making either an Android or PC game was 100% definitely going to port their upcoming game to OUYA, you still wouldn't see much traffic on that dev board because there's no reason for them to post there until they actually start working on the port.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

XboxPants posted:

It's not just that they're from other platforms, they're going to stay there, too. Even the ones that end up releasing really cool games for OUYA. What I'm saying is that very few OUYA games will ever be developed on the system itself. The reason I got onto this topic was to talk about why there's so little posting on the OUYA dev board.

Even if every indie developer making either an Android or PC game was 100% definitely going to port their upcoming game to OUYA, you still wouldn't see much traffic on that dev board because there's no reason for them to post there until they actually start working on the port.

There is nothing being developed on the 'Ouya dev kit' because the dev kit was a total sham. There is no hardware level considerations or even hardware optimization that can be done to any app because its so well hidden by Android.

This is an intentional goal by Android, so that the millions of Android devices behave as similar as possible. Clearly this is not a goal that is fully achieved (or ever will be) but it definitely damages any attempt to really pull performance out of a chip at a hardware level.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
He's saying that the OUYA is entirely ports.

A reminder that Julie said that the console will live and die by its exclusives.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

theflyingorc posted:

He's saying that the OUYA is entirely ports.

A reminder that Julie said that the console will live and die by its exclusives.

Hey don't forget The Human Element Prequel due out for OUYA in 2015!

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland

Uncle Jam posted:

Hey don't forget The Human Element Prequel due out for OUYA in 2015!

It's being made for the next 2 revisions of OUYA that don't even exist! innovation!

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

FrozenVent posted:

That assembly line picture is a joke, there's no way she posted that.

I mean, really?

People are actually asking this? I guess I did a Julie-worthy job.

It's a video of the Wii production line footage from a few days before it was released and everyone was in a frenzy so IGN posted whatever Wii related videos they could. I have no idea why I still have it but yeah. Was initially going to do it to the whole video but that would have taken considerable effort and that isn't what the OUYA is about.

DigitalAdhesive
May 6, 2011

"Hey kid, wanna make a dollar?"

Liquid Penguins posted:

Can lightning strike twice? The folks at Mega64 dare you to say no!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtWH5LRHiqI

It's the boss from The IT Crowd.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Louisgod posted:

Must like how you're too busy "gauging interest" of the BOUYA from us instead of wasting your time elsewhere on the internet.

Yes, but think! Ouya and games were so cheap he spent 10$ for an account and a 5$ for an avatar just to convince us!

pliable posted:

When you say Car Jumper, do you mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV1nidrZhsM

Yes.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
Bumming around the chat for that site about whether or not the Ouya has shipped, I feel like one man has defined the general Ouya userbase. A man by the name of JensonClitoris. Because if you think that's a good username, you just seem like the sort of person who might back the Ouya.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Yo Pants, are you going to 'refresh' your AUWEIA if it ever comes to that?

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

That's pretty funny...one of my friends is responsible for this. It's pretty indicative of his overall personality. He's a weird loving guy, but I love him.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.

XboxPants posted:

The developers that release games on OUYA are typically either PC developers or developers with a wider Android experience, but not necessarily any specific OUYA experience. Does that make sense?

(note that if you read that what I just said and thought I was saying that's a positive thing, your reading is broken)
80% 90% A Lot. of OUYA developers have never made a video game before!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Fair few people asking for refunds on Twitter...

Oh no and one guy who says he is going to host an 'Ouya party', Julie replies to say she'll send pizza and the guy thinks she is being serious and says he'll send his details. C'mon man, you can buy your own drat pizza with all the money you saved by not buying a big three console.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 18, 2013

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
I don't really get what all the hate is for this thing. Totally overhyped for sure, but it seems like the perfect system for B-list games.
Their store is def. gonna be full of app store freemium shitware, but there's potential for a niche of small-scale quality stuff; I'd love to see it turn into a sort of modern day SNES//PSX.

They'd better make drat certain those controllers aren't cheap poo poo though.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Oh no and one guy who says he is going to host an 'Ouya party', Julie replies to say she'll send pizza and the guy thinks she is being serious and says he'll send his details. C'mon man, you can buy your own drat pizza with all the money you saved by not buying a big three console.

No, this is actually a very cunning ploy to force her to actually send his OUYA now, and hey, free pizza.
pizza will arrive in June, let me show you a graph of when the slices will be released

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Texmo posted:

I don't really get what all the hate is for this thing.

Well, read the last 233 pages and find out :v:

Here is a diagram of how we will slice the pizza:

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 18, 2013

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Texmo posted:

Too late.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Der Shovel posted:

Well, read the last 233 pages and find out :v:

How many slices of pizza are you going to cut in april/may/june?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Der Shovel posted:

Excuse me I paid extra for a full slice of pizza engraved with the names of the top backers, but when it arrived it was blank on the back and someone had taken a bite out of it?

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Excuse me I paid extra for a full slice of pizza engraved with the names of the top backers, but when it arrived it was blank on the back and someone had taken a bite out of it?

at least you got that

Texmo fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 18, 2013

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Texmo posted:

at least you got that

That looks like the dev version, but Julie did say that "it's baked, it's complete, it's done", so I dunno.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Texmo posted:

I don't really get what all the hate is for this thing. Totally overhyped for sure, but it seems like the perfect system for B-list games.
Their store is def. gonna be full of app store freemium shitware, but there's potential for a niche of small-scale quality stuff; I'd love to see it turn into a sort of modern day SNES//PSX.

A lot of people said so when it was first announced. The hate comes from the lovely manufacturing and management and the ludicrous marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

limaCAT posted:

How many slices of pizza are you going to cut in april/may/june?

I think the chart speaks for itself, frankly. If you can't figure it out, it's not our problem.

You're a receiver of our brand new shareware pizza. You like pizza so you share it with friends! In this case a friend you haven't met yet!

duckfarts posted:

That looks like the dev version, but Julie did say that "it's baked, it's complete, it's done", so I dunno.

Look at that brown crust, how is that not baked? I mean obviously we left out the cheese and tomato sauce because we're trying to take down the BIG THREE and we have to think outside the pizza box.

• Locked thread