Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Install Gentoo posted:

They don't require that the donation tiers provide a physical product, or even that donation tiers exist at all.

Nothing of this is on them, the sketchiness is the people who are asking for money. It's like saying eBay is going to collapse because there's scammers on there.

It's not a requirement, but it is a request:

kickstarter posted:

Creating Rewards

Rewards are what backers receive in exchange for pledging to a project. The importance of creative, tangible, and fairly priced rewards cannot be overstated. Projects whose rewards are overpriced or uninspired struggle to find support.

Deciding what to offer

Every project’s primary rewards should be things made by the project itself. If the project is to record a new album, then rewards should include a copy of the CD when it’s finished. Rewards ensure that backers will benefit from a project just as much as its creator (i.e., they get cool stuff that they helped make possible!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.
So everyone starts doing chargebacks against amazon. Amazon dumps kickstarter because of all the chargebacks. Ouya successfully kills kickstarter.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Madcosby posted:

It's not a requirement, but it is a request:

And the request is also filled, for example, by having the project offer mp3s of the songs in the example, instead of actually doing a run of CDs and mailing them out.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Install Gentoo posted:

And the request is also filled, for example, by having the project offer mp3s of the songs in the example, instead of actually doing a run of CDs and mailing them out.

I agree!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

OatmealRaisin posted:

I don't think Kickstarter will ever die out. It's a solid idea. I'm pretty sure the days of multi-million dollar projects will go out with a whimper though, 'cause that poo poo's been unsustainable from day one. See: OUYA.

I'm just hoping this is a lesson for the world in the form of "don't loving support projects put up by people with 0 actual experience or plans"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Saint Darwin posted:

I'm just hoping this is a lesson for the world in the form of "don't loving support projects put up by people with 0 actual experience or plans"

Risks and challenges:

I am literally that dog in the goggles from the "I have no idea what I'm doing" image macro meme.

Dec 26, 2012

Install Gentoo posted:

Right, which is why this makes more sense for non-physical products than physical.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

illiniguy01 posted:

So everyone starts doing chargebacks against amazon. Amazon dumps kickstarter because of all the chargebacks. Ouya successfully kills kickstarter.

OUYA was a kickstarter to end kickstarter GENIUS!

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

OatmealRaisin posted:

I doubt anyone's getting sued, both because it's been ages since the transactions cleared and the Kickstarter rules make it clear you're pledging for a gift some ways down the line.

Oh I was saying that Amazon the company now has grounds sue OUYA the company (although I doubt they will) because OUYA the company is encouraging chargeback against Amazon in violation of their commercial agreements. Also the credit card vendors should see this encouragement as ground to stop serving OUYA the company in regards to the OUYA application store.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Stick100 posted:

OUYA was a kickstarter to end kickstarter GENIUS!

I think I actually like the OUYA now.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Stick100 posted:

Oh I was saying that Amazon the company now has grounds sue OUYA the company (although I doubt they will) because OUYA the company is encouraging chargeback against Amazon in violation of their commercial agreements. Also the credit card vendors should see this encouragement as ground to stop serving OUYA the company in regards to the OUYA application store.

Yeah, chargebacks are something you DO NOT WANT as a company. Payment processors will fine the poo poo out of you and then stop working with you entirely. And honestly given their business model of making GBS threads untested amatuer-made games into the Litterbox, I'm sure their storefront is going to see more than its share of chargebacks, anyway. Assuming their policy will be to efuse to give refunds when VISORMAN 2: VISOR HARDER has a game-breaking bug that got through their rigorous approval process or whatever. Which I suspect is likely.

Julie treating them as "free refunds" is just hilariously short-sighted.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Finally dragged an answer out of somebody:

quote:

"The Little Crane That Could"
Downloads: 129, sales: 0 which for now gives it 0%

Same game raked in 7M+ downloads on other markets, with conversion rates of:
Google Play: 5%
iOS App Store: 6%
Amazon: 7%

If conversion rates would have been similar to other platforms, I would have expected 8 purchases by now, not zero.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Oh, and you can be sure that HUGE SOFTWARE UPDATES are coming, why, in the last 3 weeks, they made the following changes to the API:

quote:

General
Changed
All occurences of OuyaResponseListener<void> changed to OuyaResponseListener<java.lang.Void> in public and private APIs

Changes to public APIs
class OuyaAuthenticationHelper
Changed
listener parameter type in handleError changed from OuyaResponseListener<void> to OuyaResponseListener<java.lang.Void>

class OuyaErrorCodes
Added constant
static int CREDIT_CARD_MISSING_OR_EXPIRED = 2027;

Not a public API, but interesting
class AppDetails
Added
java.lang.String rating parameter added to constructor

Added member
public java.lang.String rating;

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Is 6% a good conversion rate? I guess that would be like 400,000 purchases or so, right?

edit: Looks like a F2P game, how do you even calculate conversions in that case?

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 18, 2013

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I'm surprised that all of 129 ORGANGRINDERs have shipped...

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

theflyingorc posted:

Finally dragged an answer out of somebody:

This does not bode well for Flying Car and Barley Break

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Madcosby posted:

This does not bode well for Flying Car and Barley Break

Nothing ever boded well for Barley Break. It is literally the equivalent of a CS101 class project that you receive a B- on.

NOTE FROM T.A:
Your functionality is there, but some of your spacing is off and you were asked to go the extra mile with color and added functionality in your OUYA project if you wanted an A+. Put in just a bit more effort and you can easily get an A on the next assignment.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

Is 6% a good conversion rate? I guess that would be like 400,000 purchases or so, right?

edit: Looks like a F2P game, how do you even calculate conversions in that case?

Assuming he gets sale and download details by platform, I suppose the Crane devs meant that 5%, 6% and 7% of people that try the f2p version buy puchased priced levels. (the game is f2p but you can pay a premium for more levels)

So if there's approximately 7 million downloads of Crane, and an average of 6% of those downloads get converted to sales, there's about 420,000 purchases of a one-time $2.89 (taken from the Crane site), for a grand total of approximately $1,213,800 before app store fees.

Wow, not bad. I need to get into the game dev business. I'll need some artists, a programmer, and an Ouya, asap.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
A few more things -

First, XBMC is still not owned by anyone connected with XBMC.

Second, one new game and app announced for OUYA!

http://www.totalouya.com/apps-and-games/51413-gameminder/

quote:

GAME.minder is the app for gamers. When you hear about a game, just set a RE.minder and GAME.minder makes sure you DON’T FORGET TO PLAY!

Use GAME.minder and never miss a video game release date again! GAME.minder currently tracks games for Android, iOS, MAC, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo DS, OUYA, PC, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation Portable, Playstation Vita, Web Games, Wii, Wii U, Windows Phone and Xbox 360.
If you forget that a game was coming out, you don't care enough about it that it should bother you to play it a few months after release.

and the app:

http://www.totalouya.com/apps-and-games/51414-league-of-evil/

quote:

The world needs your help! Evil scientists worldwide have joined forces forming a "League of Evil"; the only super agent who can stop them is YOU!

As a specially trained agent you can double jump, flipping your way over obstacles. You are also trained in wall jumping gaps to reach new heights. So get ready to show your sick acrobatic moves across 160 challenging levels! Fight your way through your mission and find the mad scientist to deliver a well earned pixel punch in the face! The world is counting on you. Now go save everyone!
The single least creative thing ever. Hooray!

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

A few more things -

First, XBMC is still not owned by anyone connected with XBMC.

Second, one new game and app announced for OUYA!

http://www.totalouya.com/apps-and-games/51413-gameminder/

If you forget that a game was coming out, you don't care enough about it that it should bother you to play it a few months after release.

and the app:

http://www.totalouya.com/apps-and-games/51414-league-of-evil/

The single least creative thing ever. Hooray!

Hey now, I had fun playing League of Evil.... on my phone while I was in the bathroom for 2 minutes at a time - it's a moderately popular iOS game. This will probably be the best game on the OUYA ever.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

quote:

When you hear about a game, just set a RE.minder and GAME.minder makes sure you DON’T FORGET TO PLAY!

This is the saddest loving sentence in the history of the world.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

So if they improve the console, you can return your kickstarter one for a better one? maybe?

She sounds so incredibly shady. :rolleyes:

WHY YOU SPYIN' ON ME SON I'M RIGHT HERE.

Also yeah, we'll see about that poo poo. I honestly don't really care at this point; I had money to burn, so meh.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

sleepness posted:

Hey now, I had fun playing League of Evil.... on my phone while I was in the bathroom for 2 minutes at a time - it's a moderately popular iOS game. This will probably be the best game on the OUYA ever.

How would you have felt about the game if it was in your front room as your main focus on your TV?

It's the transition from 'quick time waster' to 'full on front room gaming experience' where I fell that the ooooooooyah will always fall short.

By design the very best mobile games make poo poo TV games, they just aren't for that purpose

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

pliable posted:

WHY YOU SPYIN' ON ME SON I'M RIGHT HERE.

Also yeah, we'll see about that poo poo. I honestly don't really care at this point; I had money to burn, so meh.
While you're playing with them can you get some more explicit wording on chargebacks?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

To be perfectly fair, I'm pretty sure if you were to run a statistical analysis on this it wouldn't fall outside any reasonable margin of error for that 5%-7% conversion rate. That sample size is just so small.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 18, 2013

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

peter gabriel posted:

How would you have felt about the game if it was in your front room as your main focus on your TV?

It's the transition from 'quick time waster' to 'full on front room gaming experience' where I fell that the ooooooooyah will always fall short.

By design the very best mobile games make poo poo TV games, they just aren't for that purpose
Yeah, League of Evil is a lot of fun on iPhone, but it's because it's essentially "Super Meat Boy-lite with much easier difficulty to make up for touch controls".

Any of these mobile ports are just pathetic on TV compared to what they're ripping off, which is what you could be playing on your real console instead.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

zylche posted:

While you're playing with them can you get some more explicit wording on chargebacks?

Sure, what do you suggest I ask, specifically?

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, League of Evil is a lot of fun on iPhone, but it's because it's essentially "Super Meat Boy-lite with much easier difficulty to make up for touch controls".

Any of these mobile ports are just pathetic on TV compared to what they're ripping off, which is what you could be playing on your real console instead.

Yeah, I feel the same way. The only reason League of Evil was fun was because I could play it while taking a poo poo for 2 minutes and forget about it until the next time I happened to be in the bathroom with my phone. There's nothing really about any phone game ever, save maybe my brief addiction with Infinity Blade, that would make me want to sit in front of a TV and dedicate actual segments of time that aren't me taking a dump.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing says consumer confidence than every post that begins with "I bought one of these" ends with "I had money to burn"

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

Madcosby posted:

Nothing says consumer confidence than every post that begins with "I bought one of these" ends with "I had money to burn"

I still believe the concept is a fantastic idea. But obviously as time went on, and the execution of everything, doubt has settled in. I still believe I'll get my console eventually, but it'll end up as a beautiful paperweight.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

pliable posted:

I still believe the concept is a fantastic idea. But obviously as time went on, and the execution of everything, doubt has settled in. I still believe I'll get my console eventually, but it'll end up as a beautiful paperweight.

For what little its worth, it will work fine as a XBMC emulator box, it was just overpriced and underpowered for that purpose.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

pliable posted:

Sure, what do you suggest I ask, specifically?
I figure this will cover it fine:
@juhrman Julie, backers get full refunds on their OUYAs by issuing a chargeback to Kickstarter through their credit card company right?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

pliable posted:

I knew the weight at the bottom was there for a reason.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

Red_Mage posted:

For what little its worth, it will work fine as a XBMC emulator box, it was just overpriced and underpowered for that purpose.

I'm actually pretty stoked for this feature, because my Boxee Box has apparently decided to completely stop playing videos, even after a factory reset (ugh that thing is a piece of poo poo). Tegra 3 should have enough power to play HD content, so woo!

zylche posted:

@juhrman Julie, backers get full refunds on their OUYAs by issuing a chargeback to Kickstarter through their credit card company right?

Done.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

zylche posted:

Yeah I really hope the people talking about how scummy what Julie said about refunds is saying the same thing on the twitter thing, because that is pretty gosh darn scummy.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai
From the GOUDAFORUMS: "Too bad that so few knew about the Ouya, though. But I guess that is to be expected since it hasn't even launched yet. Things will probably look brighter next year or the year after that when Ouya is an established brand."

Don't worry guys, once GOUDA is (magically!) popular, it'll be popular!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

zylche posted:

After all the really shady, stupid, useless things BLOWME has done, this is absolutely the worst. I will never buy one even if it turns out to be the XBMC player of the next decade.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic
More shipping error fun! This was linked from the developer forums: https://twitter.com/juhrman/status/324956659455774720

Basically: A bunch of people got shipping emails with the tracking number blank, so they can't track it.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Cool Matty posted:

From the GOUDAFORUMS: "Too bad that so few knew about the Ouya, though. But I guess that is to be expected since it hasn't even launched yet. Things will probably look brighter next year or the year after that when Ouya is an established brand."

Don't worry guys, once GOUDA is (magically!) popular, it'll be popular!

Don't worry we'll get developers because of all the users, and we'll get users because of all the developers. What could go wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Aweful Dreams posted:

More shipping error fun! This was linked from the developer forums: https://twitter.com/juhrman/status/324956659455774720

Basically: A bunch of people got shipping emails with the tracking number blank, so they can't track it.

quote:

Julie Uhrman
‏@juhrman
@Natsuko1 @willemrosenthal Next email will have it. Basically means you're next. People wanted more visibility to process.

Can't stop laughing.

• Locked thread