Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Publicly broadcast police scanner transmissions worry me sometimes. Obviously in cases like this they're an incredibly valuable tool for first hand reporting when the news media fails so badly, but does their value outweigh the danger they pose to tipping off criminals/accomplishes and enabling interference with the mission?

You are absolutely right and there is going to be a serious conversation among journalists in the weeks to come about the ethics and responsibilities of sharing what they hear over police scanners that will hopefully be picked up by other people who use social media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

something posted:

Ok So I read the first few pages and i don't understand what's happened in the last little while regarding the bombings that sounds to be huge. Can someone give me a crash course on what I've missed?

One of the suspects died last night, the other was captured a couple of hours ago.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

something posted:

Ok So I read the first few pages and i don't understand what's happened in the last little while regarding the bombings that sounds to be huge. Can someone give me a crash course on what I've missed?

The second suspect was captured alive while hiding in a boat under a tarp. Much celebrating.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
It would serve us better to have him declared insane committed to a mental institution and then deprogrammed. It would shed a lot of light on how these things happen, what causes people to do that, what types of traits to look for etc.. etc..

Basically study him for the rest of his life in a quiet safe enviroment where study of him benefits society,but that's not going to happen.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Speaking of movie miranda rights, can't wait for the SVU episode where the bomber is also a sexually abused sociopath and all the federal/state interactions are 'tense as gently caress'

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

something posted:

To put it succinctly the BPD and FBI cornered the second bomber, the younger brother, and eventually succeeded in capturing him alive. The entire city of Boston has been celebrating since.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Wait, they found *A* suspect in the first place? How did I miss that...

Either way, glad to hear. Good they got at least one of them alive too.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
My neighbor, a firefighter/EMT, just got home. I live in a small condo building with ~20 units, and most of us were waiting for him to come back.

The guy is amazing, was gone over 21 hours. I'm honored to be able to say he's a friend.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I listened to the scanner and read the news and the thread all day today. How is it that I only just now learned that black hat had a wife and daughter? Seems like that would have come up more

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Publicly broadcast police scanner transmissions worry me sometimes. Obviously in cases like this they're an incredibly valuable tool for first hand reporting when the news media fails so badly, but does their value outweigh the danger they pose to tipping off criminals/accomplishes and enabling interference with the mission?
I sure appreciated listening but no, it's not worth it I don't think. At least not live broadcasting. Maybe just made public later.

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009
This whole ordeal was so surreal. Listening to this happening from Finland and cheering when the guy got taken in. Drinks all around and mad props to Boston Police officers and all involved in the manhunt.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Friend posted:

I listened to the scanner and read the news and the thread all day today. How is it that I only just now learned that black hat had a wife and daughter? Seems like that would have come up more

Yeah, that does seem like something that should have come up sooner.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What's the shitstorm that is going to come down from the FBI clearing the older brother. Is anyone watching MSNBC?

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

jaegerx posted:

A family still in shock

One of the best cardiac surgeons in England was at that game though and was on the field in minutes though in his case.

Fabrica Muamba also hadn't been shot multiple times.

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

Friend posted:

It was on NPR Boston from like 8 AM on.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
The contrasts between this and the Dorner situation in LA really jump out at me. I'm not sure if the law enforcement personnel in Boston were under strict orders to take him alive or if they just in general have their poo poo together, but as a resident of SoCal I see this as a good example of how to hold our police to a higher standard in the future. That's how it's done Boston, good for you.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

booshi posted:

My neighbor, a firefighter/EMT, just got home. I live in a small condo building with ~20 units, and most of us were waiting for him to come back.

The guy is amazing, was gone over 21 hours. I'm honored to be able to say he's a friend.

Let him get dinner and sleep, buy him a sixer of something good tomorrow. Tell him that people all over the world are amazed at the great job they did.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Fancy Corndog posted:

It means that they can't legally use anything he confessed to while he was laying on the ground covered in blood there in that pic against him in court. Other evidence is fine though, and I think they actually did read it to him a good while ago.

Yeah--Miranda rights aren't a magic get-out-of-jail-free card, and under the circumstances it won't really matter.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Friend posted:

Not only that, but that cops say there had been domestic disturbances at his house in the recent past.

This could all hinge on a fight with his baby mama.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Friend posted:

He did? That really is strange how literally no one mentioned that, especially because they were interviewing all the relatives.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

natetimm posted:

The contrasts between this and the Dorner situation in LA really jump out at me. I'm not sure if the law enforcement personnel in Boston were under strict orders to take him alive or if they just in general have their poo poo together, but as a resident of SoCal I see this as a good example of how to hold our police to a higher standard in the future. That's how it's done Boston, good for you.

They had to have been under orders to try to take him alive. I believe all they ever did was shoot rubber bullets at him, flash bang him, and tear gas him.

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

Lots of misinformation about the Miranda warning issue here (although I realize someone posted a brief explanation already). They're planning to use the public safety exception:

quote:

A 2011 FBI memorandum says agents may delay reading Miranda rights to a suspect in “exceptional cases” when the FBI “conclude[s] that continued unwarned interrogation is necessary to collect valuable and timely intelligence not related to any immediate threat.” According to a DOJ spokesperson, this guidance exists because “the threat posed by terrorist organizations and the nature of their attacks—which can include multiple accomplices and interconnected plots—creates fundamentally different public safety concerns than traditional criminal cases.” Needless to say, this guidance is controversial, as it extends the public safety exemption beyond truly imminent threats to encompass more distant — but also potentially more deadly — future threats.

In any event, it is worth emphasizing again that the public safety exemption does not allow broad ranging questions for the purpose of building a criminal case. Even if the Obama Administration is correct that the exemption can be applied more broadly to suspected terrorists, law enforcement may only invoke the exemption to ask “questions necessary to secure their own safety or the safety of the public.”

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

He did? That really is strange how literally no one mentioned that, especially because they were interviewing all the relatives.

Probably because no one wants to paint him as anything remotely positive or valuable to society right now. See: CNN and the Steubenville rapists.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

octoroon posted:

Yeah, that does seem like something that should have come up sooner.

In the midst of a manhunt for his cohort in savagery, such aspects of a suspect's life are always going to take a backseat.

I can only hops his child will one day take the lessons of her father's life and use them to rise above the hatred and division from which she came.

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh

Hollis posted:

What's the shitstorm that is going to come down from the FBI clearing the older brother. Is anyone watching MSNBC?
Impeach Obama!

Oh MSNBC never mind. Probably something about Chris Matthews saying it's republicans' fault for making us not trust russians.

Rose Wreck
Jun 15, 2012

the popes toes posted:

"the dead guy talked me into it" generally isn't a winning defense. He was better educated, he evaded capture with more skill than his brother, - offhand he seems like the smarter one. Just because he looks more angelic than the brutish older bigger dead guy doesn't mean he was the snookered unwilling one.

Even with how much influence the other might have had, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. He had a worldful of options ranging from saying "let's do something else" to intentionally miswiring the bombs to calling in a threat at the marathon to throwing the bomb he carried in the river.

I'm not sure about skill at evading capture, either. He hung out in a boat in a backyard without food, water, or first aid, waiting for dark. Then he got seen because he didn't stay out of sight.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
So what's the likelihood of this case going to court before, say, the 2016 election? I learned recently that Nidal Malik Hasan isn't having his court martial until May of this year, and that blows my mind, since I've already gone through pretty much an entire enlistment in the interim.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

something posted:

Maybe they practiced journalist integrity to not ruin more lives? Oh who the gently caress am I kidding.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

booshi posted:

They had to have been under orders to try to take him alive. I believe all they ever did was shoot rubber bullets at him, flash bang him, and tear gas him.
They were, there were cops on the scanner explicitly ordering everyone to hold their fire.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Misandrist Duck posted:

You are absolutely right and there is going to be a serious conversation among journalists in the weeks to come about the ethics and responsibilities of sharing what they hear over police scanners that will hopefully be picked up by other people who use social media.
I had Fox on in the background last night while I was looking at Twitter, and just as all the "don't report things from the scanner!" stuff was being said online, Fox decided to play a recording of the moment when someone read that "I will kill you like you killed my brother" fake tweet.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Fancy Corndog posted:

Impeach Obama!

Oh MSNBC never mind. Probably something about Chris Matthews saying it's republicans' fault for making us not trust russians.

The FBI already admitted that they did talk to the older brother a few years back and didn't find anything substantial to either continue questioning him or outright arrest him. Lots of people are gonna' second-guess the FBI over that.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Misandrist Duck posted:

Yeah. Law enforcement pretty much knew a few hours in that it was being broadcast over the internet. I'm sure the tactical and important stuff was kept to a more secure form of communication.

Most of what we heard was just logistical or minor updates. Up until they already had him, we didn't really know what was going on other than they used flashbangs and were arguing whether or not to LIGHT THE SUN IN THE NIGHT SKY or whatever that badass term for turning some lights on was.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

NPR was talking about it on my drive home today. Apparently some of his wife's friends said he used to be rather controlling and abusive.

But apparently everyone said really nice things about the other brother, so. . .

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Fintilgin posted:

I'm betting the 200,000+ people on in the internet evesdropping on them will probably provide a kick in the pants to a lot of police departments to move to fully encrypted coms of some sort.

They already have fully encrypted channels and use them frequently. Having an open public channel means they don't have to bother with giving 9000 cops encryption codes if all they are doing is fetching water.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Friend posted:

http://www.abc6.com/story/22028023/wife-of-terror-suspect-from-north-kingtown

I'm guessing it's the woman with him in the pictures of the boxing gym? I didn't catch that either.

e: trying to find cached link to boxing gym photos. The original link was taken down.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Finally I come home to some good news for once.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I can't recall whether it's been mentioned here specifically, but the older brother has a wife and child in another state that he went to visit on weekends. I think she was also an american citizen that he convinced to convert to islam when they were married. They may have been separated because of domestic abuse that happened several years ago.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

No matter what happens the rest of the week, month, year, decade, century, or millenia, if there is one thing this week will be remembered for that isn't the bravery of the entire city of Boston, let it be this:

For at least one day, we lived in a time where we could seriously say the sentence "4 police robots searched an elderly man before he was cleared of any suspicious doings."

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Accordion Man posted:

I head it on tv a few times. I believe he got her pregnant, stopped boxing and pretty much became a stay at home dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Castomira posted:

So what's the likelihood of this case going to court before, say, the 2016 election? I learned recently that Nidal Malik Hasan isn't having his court martial until May of this year, and that blows my mind, since I've already gone through pretty much an entire enlistment in the interim.

Depends on whether or not the government decides to let him take a plea deal to avoid the death penalty. If it's a death penalty trial, look for it to wrap up a couple years from now.

• Locked thread