Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

eXXon posted:

Yeah well you picked Jack Johnson so there. I hope that jerk stays famous for his folk singing and being traded away from a team that won the Cup the same year.

The only cool Jack Johnson is this Jack Johnson

Also had a killer Miles album named after him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah I can't believe Sharp lasted that long. He was next on my forward list after Hossa.

e: Pominville too, they were right there on my "must pick if they somehow make it back to me in the 5th."

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Yeah I can't believe Sharp lasted that long. He was next on my forward list after Hossa.

e: Pominville too, they were right there on my "must pick if they somehow make it back to me in the 5th."

I bet there's one more on your list. He's on mine.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

i am not so sure posted:

I bet there's one more on your list. He's on mine.

I'm kinda resigned at this point to none of them making it back to me.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Buffalo Sabres select Paul Martin, Defenceman - Pittsburgh Penguins

It is getting down to the point where there aren't any #1 defenceman left on the board.. Atleast not any #1 defenceman worth having on your team. Martin plays 25+ minutes a night for Pittsburgh and does a really good job of it. He's signed at a fair contract through the 2014-15 season. Unfortunately he's picked up a neck injury that has seen him miss some time this season but he has been fairly healthy going back to when he joined the penguins for the 2010-11 season. Martin's not going to put up huge offensive numbers - he averages right around 30 points a season - but he can play heavy minutes in all situations and that's what you want out of your top guy.

I passed up on some forwards that are probably more valuable overall players, but I needed to complete my top d-pairing now.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Haha you are not doing much research are you?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

i am not so sure posted:

Haha you are not doing much research are you?

I base my picks on the 2009-2012 seasons.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I don't mind Martin there. There are maybe some guys on the board who run the powerplay a bit better but if you're looking for more of an overall guy he's a great pick.

In fact, I'd go as far to say he was the best two way d-man left.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

T-Bone posted:

I don't mind Martin there. There are maybe some guys on the board who run the powerplay a bit better but if you're looking for more of an overall guy he's a great pick.

yeah of all defenceman left, he plays the 2nd most minutes a night.

Basically you need a guy that can play 25-27 minutes in a game to shelter the guys a bit lower in the depth chart. It was a choice between him, someone who is payed a ridiculous amount of money, and guys that are like 38 years old (and make more money).

You might question the wisdom of waiting until the 5th round to draft your #1 defenceman, but I'm happy with what I got for it. Martin is the best defenceman on one of the best teams in the league.

... okay 2nd best defenceman. I just remembered Letang.

**basically I think IANSS is just acting pissy because I've questioned some of his earlier picks and said I didn't trust him with my list of players hehehe

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 20, 2013

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I didn't realize that drafting players for fantasy with no stakes involved, other than bragging rights, would get so heated.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm gonna have to bring all you guys up to my barn to settle things

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Starsfan posted:

yeah of all defenceman left, he plays the 2nd most minutes a night.

Basically you need a guy that can play 25-27 minutes in a game to shelter the guys a bit lower in the depth chart. It was a choice between him, someone who is payed a ridiculous amount of money, and guys that are like 38 years old (and make more money).

You might question the wisdom of waiting until the 5th round to draft your #1 defenceman, but I'm happy with what I got for it. Martin is the best defenceman on one of the best teams in the league.

... okay 2nd best defenceman. I just remembered Letang.

**basically I think IANSS is just acting pissy because I've questioned some of his earlier picks and said I didn't trust him with my list of players hehehe

Nope, I think you saying there aren't any number one defensemen left means you didn't look too hard. :)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Paul Martin? That's an interesting selection. If can maintain his form from this year, okay. If this season is a flash in the pan, oy vey.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
There are still a few no. 1 guys left, all better than Martin

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

You can use hockey-reference's "player finder": http://www.hockey-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi

Filter by age, position, set up your own criteria, a lot of things. Use "combined seasons", you can even limit it to a certain number of years if you want.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Habibi posted:

Paul Martin? That's an interesting selection. If can maintain his form from this year, okay. If this season is a flash in the pan, oy vey.

But it's not like last season was indicative of his play either. Paul Martin was a very solid #1-#2 for the Devils for a long time. Not a great playoff guy, but certainly a dependable top pairing regular season d-man on a perennial 100 point team.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Austrian mook posted:

There are still a few no. 1 guys left, all better than Martin

Nope. Entire teams have had nobody picked, but there are no number 1 D's left.

Also Martin is a fine pick based on this season. Based on last season he wouldn't have been. Kinda inconsistent.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Jordan7hm posted:

Also Martin is a fine pick based on this season. Based on last season he wouldn't have been. Kinda inconsistent.

You sir, are wrong. There are no. 1 guys for sure.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jordan7hm posted:

It's almost like he has a body of work before the last two seasons!

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

There absolutely are No. 1 defensemen left.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

T-Bone posted:

In fact, I'd go as far to say he was the best two way d-man left.

not a chance!!

Twin Cinema posted:

I didn't realize that drafting players for fantasy with no stakes involved, other than bragging rights, would get so heated.

i'll gently caress you up

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Who is on the clock?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

i am not so sure posted:

Who is on the clock?

Drunk Canuck

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

T-Bone posted:

It's almost like he has a body of work before the last two seasons!

I think he's a stretch based on his body of work before last season.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

You sir, are wrong. There are no. 1 guys for sure.

*whoosh* ;)

E: you too?

i am not so sure posted:

There absolutely are No. 1 defensemen left.

Did you know the word 'gullible' is not in the dictionary?

Habibi fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 20, 2013

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Hello all, it's been quite exciting for the past round and everyone is really buckling down in having a good time. Without further ado,

Minnesota Wild are quite happy to call upon Right Wing Radim Vrbata Czech Republic

A 25 goal capable winger, signed at a 3 million dollar cap hit until 2014, can be a valuable addition to some quite strong centres already rostered. Being 31, he is still at a physical peak and can bring along some clear leadership to a diverse locker room.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Decent pick. Nobody I wanted, so that's cool too.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
You need some good ole Canadian boys on that team, stat.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Red Wings are not the Phoenix Coyotes. Therefore Vrbata will not know how to score.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
OK this guy might be a little off the board. Honestly, there are a few players that I have "valued" higher but Ryan Callahan from the New York Rangers is a player I want on my team so I'm picking him now rather than risk losing him over the next 40 picks. He's not going to score 40 goals. He's not going to win games single-handedly. That's OK. I've got Ovechkin and Huberdeau to do that. Ryan Callahan will hit the poo poo out of you. He'll do what the coach wants. He'll kill penalties. He posts up in front of the net as well as guys who weigh 50 pounds more than him. I don't think opposing defenders will look forward to playing Ovechkin and Callahan. The word of the day is "bruised ribs". Best of all, Ryan Callahan is a good American boy. :911:

I hate the Rangers, but I've chosen two of them in a row. Maybe that's because I think they're good.

Slappy Pappy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 20, 2013

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Drunk Canuck posted:

Hello all, it's been quite exciting for the past round and everyone is really buckling down in having a good time. Without further ado,

Minnesota Wild are quite happy to call upon Right Wing Radim Vrbata Czech Republic

A 25 goal capable winger, signed at a 3 million dollar cap hit until 2014, can be a valuable addition to some quite strong centres already rostered. Being 31, he is still at a physical peak and can bring along some clear leadership to a diverse locker room.
gently caress. Hoped(well, rather vainly) he would fall down to me at the end of the sixth. He was one of my considerations if I hadn't gone with the dual Michaleks.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Wow, I was sure Vrbata would fall. His cap hit is amazing and he's one of the most underrated forwards in hockey. Very good pick, as long as you stick to the style of play he's used to.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Spamtron7000 posted:

OK this guy might be a little off the board. Honestly, there are a few players that I have "valued" higher but Ryan Callahan from the New York Rangers is a player I want on my team so I'm picking him now rather than risk losing him over the next 40 picks. He's not going to score 40 goals. He's not going to win games single-handedly. That's OK. I've got Ovechkin and Huberdeau to do that. Ryan Callahan will hit the poo poo out of you. He'll do what the coach wants. He'll kill penalties. He posts up in front of the net as well as guys who weigh 50 pounds more than him. I don't think opposing defenders will look forward to playing Ovechkin and Callahan. The word of the day is "bruised ribs". Best of all, Ryan Callahan is a good American boy. :911.

I hate the Rangers, but I've chosen two of them in a row. Maybe that's because I think they're good.

Yeah Callahan owns. I knew I wouldn't get him but it's a dream to have a line with Parise and Callahan on it. Anyway, good pick, gotta love Cally.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Callahan was on my shortlist for my last pick, and he was a spot higher than Lecavalier, but I went with the center. Who knows why I do the things I do.

Also, I will seriously fight both T-Bone and Verviticus.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I think I'm up? On my phone so no big write up but the Bruins are taking goaltender Jaroslav Halak.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
No, no, no...I don't fight I provide the barn for fighters.

Love the Callahan pick. He was one of the forwards I probably wouldn't have passed up.

e: Halak? Sure why not he's on par or better than all of the other goalies left I guess, although his injury trouble this year is a bit worrisome.

de: Shoe and the Avs are up.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Lets not do a run on goaltenders, please.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Lets not do a run on goaltenders, please.

Do it! Do it so Boomer ends up having to play six skaters.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Thufir posted:

I think I'm up? On my phone so no big write up but the Bruins are taking goaltender Jaroslav Halak.

Dammit. I thought he would fall to me in the next round because of the season he is having.

T-Bone posted:

No, no, no...I don't fight I provide the barn for fighters.

Once my fists start flying, I can't promise that they won't connect with everyone's faces in the general vicinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Rutkowski posted:

gently caress. Hoped(well, rather vainly) he would fall down to me at the end of the sixth. He was one of my considerations if I hadn't gone with the dual Michaleks.

You're all about the coyotes aren't you? You know there are 29 other teams right?

(I'm just kidding, I really like almost all of the picks you've made)

That's a good pick though, I figured people would overlook Vrbatta

• Locked thread