Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-B l a z e i n g-
May 11, 2010
When will the 680's drop in price if they havent recently (F paying $1000 for Titan)? Been out of the loop in regards to graphic cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

zer0spunk posted:

It would drive me crazy for the F keys and the numpad, but all the central traveled keys makes sense. You don't look at 'em anyway.

You're probably better with the F keys than you realize. There's 3 groups of 4, easy to know which is which.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

-B l a z e i n g- posted:

When will the 680's drop in price if they havent recently (F paying $1000 for Titan)? Been out of the loop in regards to graphic cards.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-700-Kepler,22204.html

Either wait for a supposed 770 (780 is going to be a ridiculously priced "mini-Titan"), buy a 7970Ghz for $430ish, or a 680 for $470ish. Pretty much depends on if you want to pay that green team premium.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

zer0spunk posted:

It really stands out when you meet someone that can't. Like really really stands out.

No poo poo. We're finally going fully computerized at my workplace, and the majority of the staff here haven't used computers at home or work AT ALL. I wish I could spend more of my time explaing the finer points of the fairly complex software we're going to be using, but for now I'm wasting my time explaing the differences between the backspace and delete keys, and that the "kuhtarrul" key actually is the control key.

Worker - "Right-click? What should I be clicking to the right of? Do I click to the right of that button?"
Me - ".... :suicide:"

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

If you want a keyboard that looks more austere but don't want to go full retard blank keys, you can get side printed keys like the CM Stealth or get engraved keys from WASD Keyboards.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
While we're talking keyboards, I've been thinking about those gaming keypads/gameboards. As far as I can tell, my options are a Razer Orbweaver, a Razer Nostromo, or a Logitech G13. They all seem to have 8-directional pads instead of actual joysticks, though. Is there another option with an even sillier marketing name that can satisfy my desire for analog movement and mouse aim?

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Male Man posted:

Logitech G13.
The G13 is a full analog joystick with a center click that you can map keys to if you want. I put a 360 stick hat into mine and use it for most every FPS game on my PC.

Most games have to be tricked into thinking that it is a 360 gamepad with a dll file, and then they have to support mouse and pad at the same time to be useful but it usually works out. The rare game or source port, like GZDoom can use the joystick natively.

The software for it is absolutely killer. The G13 is killer. Buy one.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Lblitzer posted:

If we can get a few more people together I'd be all for that, I'd ask for $7.50 in paypal.

Yeah, I'd be in for a 4-pack deal.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Presto posted:

Looks like they left the bumps on the F and J keys. That's insufficiently austere. :colbert:

It's weird, the keyboard for one of the computers at work doesn't have the little ridges on those keys, and it drives me absolutely loving bonkers to try to type on it. Had no idea how much I needed those things. :v:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Maxwell Adams posted:

Yeah, I'd be in for a 4-pack deal.

I just posted in the Steam thread, thought I saw a mention somewhere. Count me as down for a slot, too.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

HotCanadianChick posted:

"I know how to touch type"?
Touché.

But I was thinking more along the lines of how it's marketed

Daskeyboard.com posted:

Two words: Bad rear end.

Efficient typists don’t look at their keyboards. So why do others insist on labeling the keys? Turns out you'll type faster than you ever dreamed on one of these blank babies. And that's not to mention its powers of intimidation. Sometimes less really is more.
It seems to be targeting this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9EXEpjSDEw
Now I don't know the gentleman and have nothing against him personally, but just look at him. His neckbeard has its own neckbeard!

To be fair though, I didn't know that it can increase your typing speed. I've been touch typing forever, but still think a blank keyboard would be terrible. I haven't memorized the WHOLE thing, I still want stuff like PrtScrn and Insert to be labeled!

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Internet Friend posted:

If you want a keyboard that looks more austere but don't want to go full retard blank keys, you can get side printed keys like the CM Stealth or get engraved keys from WASD Keyboards.

I'd really like to get that Cooler Master keyboard, except for some insane reason it doesn't have a numpad! What is it with mechanical keyboard and a lack of numpad, a cost saving measure?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Awia posted:

I'd really like to get that Cooler Master keyboard, except for some insane reason it doesn't have a numpad! What is it with mechanical keyboard and a lack of numpad, a cost saving measure?

No, it's just that many people would like to have their mouse closer to them than have a numpad they never use. Ducky makes a full sized keyboard with side printed switches. The price difference between the one with and without a numpad is a whopping $3. You've probably never heard of Ducky but they're a legit mechanical keyboard company.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Internet Friend posted:

No, it's just that many people would like to have their mouse closer to them than have a numpad they never use. Ducky makes a full sized keyboard with side printed switches. The price difference between the one with and without a numpad is a whopping $3. You've probably never heard of Ducky but they're a legit mechanical keyboard company.

Nuts to you, the numpad is a really sensible and fast way to enter numbers. Couldn't go without one nowadays!

Definitely spending that $3 ;)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

mfcrocker posted:

Nuts to you, the numpad is a really sensible and fast way to enter numbers. Couldn't go without one nowadays!

Definitely spending that $3 ;)
Yeah I don't know either. Keeping the left and right hands closer together is actually a very sensible ergonomic concern: after a couple years I spent with only laptops it was really awkward to use a full-sized desktop keyboard again.

But why cut the numpad instead of the arrow keys / navigation keys block, which can be easily duplicated by the keypad anyway?

(I'm actually using this keyboard now. It's cheap plastic crap but the layout is so functional it makes it worth it, and since as mentioned it's cheap I just bought multiples and replace them when they break down.)

e: on that note, another thing I don't like about the majority of mechanical keyboards is the lack of media keys. Media keys are awesome if you use them, and if you don't they are out of the way and don't intrude at all. And no, Fn + F# keys isn't a replacement, first because the Fn key takes up extremely valuable space in a critical corner of the layout, and second because hitting most media combinations that way will require two hands.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 25, 2013

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

NihilCredo posted:

But why cut the numpad instead of the arrow keys / navigation keys block, which can be easily duplicated by the keypad anyway?

That exists too. :)

Personally I use a tenkeyless and then have a G13 off to the left I use occasionally as a numpad, but I can't remember the last time I used it that way.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

That's actually really nice. Pity about the shape of the Enter key, though.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
OH, can we talk about wireless gaming devices? Why can't I seem to find any besides maybe a mouse? Is delay from it really that bad? I've been using wireless pretty much since it started to be available and with my first few devices I noticed a bit of delay, but nowadays I don't really notice much delay at all. The other reason I love wireless is being able to use my big screen TV and chill on my couch/recliner. My mouse is starting to wear out though and I want to get something fancy with more than three buttons.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Reason posted:

OH, can we talk about wireless gaming devices? Why can't I seem to find any besides maybe a mouse? Is delay from it really that bad? I've been using wireless pretty much since it started to be available and with my first few devices I noticed a bit of delay, but nowadays I don't really notice much delay at all. The other reason I love wireless is being able to use my big screen TV and chill on my couch/recliner. My mouse is starting to wear out though and I want to get something fancy with more than three buttons.

There's plenty of wireless gamepads and headsets. What are you looking for, specifically? A wireless flight stick?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Reason posted:

Well if you wanted a wireless keyboard, it would need to be USB, and that severely limits the number of possible simultaneous inputs (I think to 5?), whereas PS/2 supports as many as you can throw at it.

As for other stuff, there's plenty of Wireless mice/headsets/gamepads.

NO BROS FOR HOES
Apr 19, 2007
On the wireless front, does anyone have any good suggestions/experience with wireless headsets? After dealing with cord tangling for the umpteenth time, I've began to humor the idea of a wireless headset. I haven't found anything yet that has a significant amount of favorable reviews.

e: I suppose I should at least mention criteria: Comfort (I'm a fan of circumaural :shobon:), decent sound quality (I'm not an audiophile), and a microphone. I've used and enjoyed the Plantronics GameCom headsets, the SteelSeries Siberia headset, and I've even tried a pair of AudioTechnica cans with a separate mic (which were great until I sat on them and broke them :smith:).

NO BROS FOR HOES fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 25, 2013

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Well, the Logitech G930 is REALLY comfortable. It has good sound quality (also non-audiophile), and a clear good quality Mic which is easy to mute.

It's also kinda expensive, but it is pretty good.

Only caveat is that because it sets itself up as a seperate sound device in windows, using it in concert with your speakers is a chore. Gotta swap sound devices if you want to use your speakers, then vice versa.

I am happy as hell with mine, but I did have a whole chunk of money off it. (I was given a free gift card for a retailer).

E: vvv No, never had that happen. Like I say the only annoyance I have is swapping devices if I want to use my speakers.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 25, 2013

NO BROS FOR HOES
Apr 19, 2007

AirRaid posted:

Well, the Logitech G930 is REALLY comfortable. It has good sound quality (also non-audiophile), and a clear good quality Mic which is easy to mute.

Only caveat is that because it sets itself up as a seperate sound device in windows, using it in concert with your speakers is a chore. Gotta swap sound devices if you want to use your speakers, then vice versa.

I am happy as hell with mine, but I did have a whole chunk of money off it. (I was given a free gift card for a retailer).

I've seen a lot hubbub in product reviews that people were having problems with the device disconnecting/reconnecting. I'm assuming you haven't had a problem with that? That was the only thing keeping me from that particular headset, to be honest.

(Thank you for the recommendation. :))

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia

AirRaid posted:

E: vvv No, never had that happen. Like I say the only annoyance I have is swapping devices if I want to use my speakers.

I have a g930, and my friends Corsair Vengeance 2000 has WAY better sound after being EQ'd. Its a trade off though, I'd stick with the g930 just to cut down on software (I also use a g510 and a g600, so its one piece of software.) and take advantage of the side buttons. Those side buttons own for changing whats going on with my main PC while I am not near it or on a different PC listening in on / watching something on my main.

EDIT: never an issue with either dropping, but we are in the middle of nowhere. Not much saturation in Boulder suburbs. You might have an issue if you are in like North Jersey or something.

Foil fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 25, 2013

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Crosscontaminant posted:

That's actually really nice. Pity about the shape of the Enter key, though.

If you're an ISO layout using pervert you might like this Adesso keyboard.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Tall Enter keys are the norm in the UK.

That one is missing the backslash key.

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

I've got the 360 wireless headset, works fine with the wireless adapter. It's probably expensive relative to other options but I had one anyway from using it with my Xbox.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum
I'm a giant on this earth, fee fi fo fum
Cerebellum over-loader make your brain stem numb!
While strictly not just PC, Monaco: What's yours is mine! Is an absolute blast, brimming with charm and is worth grabbing, not only to support a great developer, but for chuckles with your mates.

Manac0r fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 25, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Foil posted:

I have a g930, and my friends Corsair Vengeance 2000 has WAY better sound after being EQ'd. Its a trade off though, I'd stick with the g930 just to cut down on software (I also use a g510 and a g600, so its one piece of software.) and take advantage of the side buttons. Those side buttons own for changing whats going on with my main PC while I am not near it or on a different PC listening in on / watching something on my main.

EDIT: never an issue with either dropping, but we are in the middle of nowhere. Not much saturation in Boulder suburbs. You might have an issue if you are in like North Jersey or something.

How is the G930 in terms of accommodating huge heads? :shobon:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Crosscontaminant posted:

Tall Enter keys are the norm in the UK.

That one is missing the backslash key.

Backslash on that one is to the left of Backspace. I too prefer a tall Enter key, and I really hate shortened Backspace keys too.

Foil posted:

To be honest I've never used any of those side buttons. But I don't really use it away from my desk so I don't really have the need.

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia

fookolt posted:

How is the G930 in terms of accommodating huge heads? :shobon:

Thing gets huge as poo poo and the extension area is metal, really rigid in my opinion. I don't think you'd have to bad a problem unless you have like elephantiasis or something.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Copper Vein posted:

The G13 is a full analog joystick with a center click that you can map keys to if you want. I put a 360 stick hat into mine and use it for most every FPS game on my PC.

Most games have to be tricked into thinking that it is a 360 gamepad with a dll file, and then they have to support mouse and pad at the same time to be useful but it usually works out. The rare game or source port, like GZDoom can use the joystick natively.

The software for it is absolutely killer. The G13 is killer. Buy one.

Not only is the G13 awesome for those reasons but also:

You can store a few of your game profiles on the internal memory of it so you can bring it to another computer and the profiles you want are already set up.

It can do 3 pages of keybinds per game, you flip through them with those long flat buttons above the regular ones. Each set can change the backlight colors on the G13 so you know which one is active.

Mine broke, really a minor but impossible to overlook thing with the joystick. The joystick would pull a little bit to the right very sporadically but enough to make any gaming extremely frustrating because once you go to joystick WASD it feels like a giant step backwards to go back to regular keys. Mine was 3 years old but I submitted a ticket to Logitech anyway figuring maybe they could tell me some magic fix for it. Their fix was to have me forward my super old invoice from newegg to them, take a picture of my broke g13 to prove it still exists and then they mailed me a new one. I still have the old one which works aside from the joystick thing so I use it on my laptop.

Logitech might be my favorite company these days.

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia

Death Himself posted:

Not only is the G13 awesome for those reasons but also:

You can store a few of your game profiles on the internal memory of it so you can bring it to another computer and the profiles you want are already set up.

It can do 3 pages of keybinds per game, you flip through them with those long flat buttons above the regular ones. Each set can change the backlight colors on the G13 so you know which one is active.

Mine broke, really a minor but impossible to overlook thing with the joystick. The joystick would pull a little bit to the right very sporadically but enough to make any gaming extremely frustrating because once you go to joystick WASD it feels like a giant step backwards to go back to regular keys. Mine was 3 years old but I submitted a ticket to Logitech anyway figuring maybe they could tell me some magic fix for it. Their fix was to have me forward my super old invoice from newegg to them, take a picture of my broke g13 to prove it still exists and then they mailed me a new one. I still have the old one which works aside from the joystick thing so I use it on my laptop.

Logitech might be my favorite company these days.

Can you tell me if it really makes a difference? I already have a lot of bindable keys, but I am always looking for ways to make RPGs and MMOs better to play (The g600+ the g510 owns for multiboxing MMOs).

I guess what I am asking is, if you already have a crazy setup is it worth it to add on top? I'd bind the joystick to up = ctrl, left = alt, right = shift (Modifiers to use more action bars) and down to cycle profiles, would that work and does it seem like that would be usable? I think that would allow me to do a lot, the right hand would cover what modifier the side panel of the g600 would get and my movement.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Foil posted:

Can you tell me if it really makes a difference? I already have a lot of bindable keys, but I am always looking for ways to make RPGs and MMOs better to play (The g600+ the g510 owns for multiboxing MMOs).

I guess what I am asking is, if you already have a crazy setup is it worth it to add on top? I'd bind the joystick to up = ctrl, left = alt, right = shift (Modifiers to use more action bars) and down to cycle profiles, would that work and does it seem like that would be usable? I think that would allow me to do a lot, the right hand would cover what modifier the side panel of the g600 would get and my movement.

You get more mileage out of it by putting your WASD on the joystick which opens up all that prime hotkey realestate and lets you move yourself around ingame freely using your thumb while pushing all those buttons. I then like to put spacebar on G11 which is where the S would have been because hopping around is important to me.

Then you get 13 keys for easy access abilities and for the games with stupidly large amounts of buttons to push you can map your modifiers like ctrl/alt/shift on g15, g16 and g17.

That leaves 5 G keys (18-22), the two thumb buttons and joystick click still open for more abilities or autorun or whatever.

My G13 basically made these too-many-abilities-what-were-the-developers-thinking RPGs actually enjoyable for me.

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia

Death Himself posted:

You get more mileage out of it by putting your WASD on the joystick which opens up all that prime hotkey realestate and lets you move yourself around ingame freely using your thumb while pushing all those buttons. I then like to put spacebar on G11 which is where the S would have been because hopping around is important to me.

Then you get 13 keys for easy access abilities and for the games with stupidly large amounts of buttons to push you can map your modifiers like ctrl/alt/shift on g15, g16 and g17.

That leaves 5 G keys (18-22), the two thumb buttons and joystick click still open for more abilities or autorun or whatever.

My G13 basically made these too-many-abilities-what-were-the-developers-thinking RPGs actually enjoyable for me.

I don't really like using a joystick to move and it would make my 12 button side function like a 48 button side just on one profile alone, hell if I stack the third click for a function key changer its loving 60 different actions! I love my g600, and my thumb button usage honestly what I want to focus on. I'd honestly use excess Gkeys (I already fill up my g510s set) to broadcast keystrokes to other clients. I guess I have kind of a really specific player type, so I might just have to make the leap myself to see if it works for me. Worst comes to worst Logitech stuff always seems to sell well used.

Thanks a ton for your input! I can see how you have it layed out is great for a standard setup, but I am really good with my g600 and I feel that it gives me an edge in the games I play (being able to cast every spell / skill while having full movement via WASD is super important).

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

What game are you playing that you need so many hotkeys? That sounds nuts.

I guess just all that multiclient stuff probably uses a lot of buttons.

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia

Death Himself posted:

A lot of MMOs play more than 1 guy at a time (hell, EQ2 easily had 40 skills that were good to use on one char, so its pretty important)

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Death Himself posted:

When I played arena seriously in WoW I had every key on my KB bound to something. Literally, every one.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

AirRaid posted:

Well if you wanted a wireless keyboard, it would need to be USB, and that severely limits the number of possible simultaneous inputs (I think to 5?), whereas PS/2 supports as many as you can throw at it.

Here's a USB keyboard with full key rollover

Here's a PS/2 keyboard with a 6-key rollover limit

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Apr 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Welp, must have misread somethign somewhere then.

Though, I didn't say that all PS/2 keyboards had no limit, just that PS/2 definitely supported that.

• Locked thread