Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Jefferoo posted:

So as a non-Superman fan, is there any really good like animated films or comic books I should catch up on? I've read Red Son, and that's about it.

I *hate* Superman but loved Red Son and Secret Identity. Basically, I can only stand the character in one-shots and alternate stories/interpretations; the clusterfuck that is the DCU continuity (or anything that tries to stick to it or similar) is a big no-no for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dan Didio posted:

They should just let Guy Pearce go for the hat-trick in rich, science fiction douchebags and shave his head.

Does the Time Machine count?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Steve Yun posted:

Does the Time Machine count?

Always and forever.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If you want to read All Star Superman, read it once without reading a plot summary, then pore over the wiki - then read it again. It's crazy dense and this is definitely the best way to read it.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Soundtrack listing has some interesting, if spoilery, track titles.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I wish Ronny Cox was younger. If he channels Cohagen and his work from Robocop I think I'd have enjoyed him as Luthor. He was such an awesome bad guy.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

Gatts posted:

I wish Ronny Cox was younger. If he channels Cohagen and his work from Robocop I think I'd have enjoyed him as Luthor. He was such an awesome bad guy.

Him in Robocop is outstanding.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Track 17 kind of supports the idea of Clark joining the Daily Planet/acting as a normal person after he has already been Superman for some time.

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH

Steve Yun posted:

Daredevil had a lot of problems, but Michael Clarke Duncan as a black Kingpin was not one of them.

I was all :) and then realized he's dead. Thanks, jerk.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Duncan as Kingpin was fantastic in my opinion. His performance had more charisma, charm, personality, than the dude in the book. I'd wish the book was able to borrow from him.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Deadpool posted:

All Star Superman is good, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone just trying to get a hold of who Superman is. It's a very different Superman story that harkens back to a very different kind of comic. It's a great read if you're already familiar with the history of the character, but for someone trying to get into the character it should be noted that it's very much a different animal.

As someone who's not at all into Superman, I'll agree with this. I checked it out and it actually made me like the character less, since everything about it is so far up its own rear end. I tend to get that reaction from a lot of Grant Morrison's work, though.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 26, 2013

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Clearly Luthor needs to be either Denzel Washington or Tom Cruise.

Either would just make me all :allears:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Superman: Earth One is a pretty good take on the Superman origin. Plus it's plot seems to be pretty similar to the movie, what with aliens coming to Earth looking for Kal-El and all.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Timeless Appeal posted:

Track 17 kind of supports the idea of Clark joining the Daily Planet/acting as a normal person after he has already been Superman for some time.

It would be interesting if he's basically Superman from the moment he saves those kids in the bus and the movie is more an origin story of Clark Kent.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gyges posted:

Superman: Earth One is a pretty good take on the Superman origin. Plus it's plot seems to be pretty similar to the movie, what with aliens coming to Earth looking for Kal-El and all.

Do not listen to this. Do not read Superman: Earth One.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah, I'm not saying that Earth One has problems, I'm just saying that in volume two, Superman hands out guns and sits back while a third world nation engages in an armed and bloody revolution thanks to the firearms he gave away.

Whether you think that's the right thing to do or not, I find it difficult to see it being something Superman would do.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mike From Nowhere posted:

Yeah, I'm not saying that Earth One has problems, I'm just saying that in volume two, Superman hands out guns and sits back while a third world nation engages in an armed and bloody revolution thanks to the firearms he gave away.

Whether you think that's the right thing to do or not, I find it difficult to see it being something Superman would do.

I never read Volume Two, but that's just loving stupid.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Yeah, volume 2 was a little weird.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
That line from the trailer, "They will join you in the sun". Is that from All Star Superman, or is it older?

head58
Apr 1, 2013

It's from All-Star #12.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

tractor fanatic posted:

That line from the trailer, "They will join you in the sun". Is that from All Star Superman, or is it older?

I believe that whole quote is verbatim from All Star Superman. Also the line about him wanting to be Jonathan Kent's son is taken verbatim from Secret Origin.

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 27, 2013

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I wonder if the whole script will be repurposed Superman comic quotes. "They say he's called Superman, but... must there be a Superman?"

Granted - I'd still pay to see it if that were true. I guess the cheap date was me, all along.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mike From Nowhere posted:

This is the dumbest thing. Now I feel bad that I ordered a copy for my job without reading up on it.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life

aBagorn posted:

Clearly Luthor needs to be either Denzel Washington or Tom Cruise.

Either would just make me all :allears:

Tiny bald Tom Cruise screaming like a loon at Superman would be great, it also would explain his need for a power suit since he has something physical to overcompensate for.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Tom Cruise plays Ultraman.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Awesome Andy posted:

Tiny bald Tom Cruise screaming like a loon at Superman would be great, it also would explain his need for a power suit since he has something physical to overcompensate for.

Seriously. Henry Cavill, after getting even more stacked courtesy of Gym Jones, would hilariously tower over a tiny Tom Cruise.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

It would be interesting if he's basically Superman from the moment he saves those kids in the bus and the movie is more an origin story of Clark Kent.

As an adopted kid I almost take offense to this line of reasoning.

1. He was raised to be Clark Kent. We know this based on the trailer.

2. Learning you're adopted doesn't retroactively erase who you were or identified with.

3. Adopting another identity doesn't erase that either.

Like seriously this is humanity 101-type stuff. Why are so many people so retarded about it?

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 27, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
^^^ How did you feel about how the first film handled his relationship between his adoptive and biological fathers?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It wasn't bad, but the whole bit about Clark interfacing with Jor-El in a computer was a massive misstep in my opinion. Doing that robs Superman of part of his inherent tragedy-- for all his great deeds he'll never be able to see how proud his birth-parents would be, and every time he does connect with Kryptonian stuff it almost invariably kicks him in the dick (Supergirl and Kandor being the notable exceptions).

It's also why I really dislike the climax to Birthright. As an adopted person it's not wish-fulfillment to see Superman connecting with his birth parents and saying "I'm going to be alright", it's just a cruel taunt masked as catharsis that then robs Clark of having anything about his circumstances be truly 100% tragic.

Now this is just my opinion and I admit I'm harsher on the concept than most, but I do think it'd go a long way to establishing to people who think Superman lacks humanity that his life isn't made up of contrivances--sometimes he does just flat-out get lovely circumstances and have to make the best of them.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I was checking something on the IMDB for Man of Steel and noticed something sort of interesting. According to the list of characters, one is a Captain Carrie Farris.

I don't know if that's accurate or a misspelling, but if the latter I wonder if it could end up being Carol Ferris and they're wanting to drop in some non-Superman DC comics characters into this movie as a sort of easter egg or the first sign that they are laying in the groundwork for other films ala the Phase One stuff from Marvel.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

JediTalentAgent posted:

I was checking something on the IMDB for Man of Steel and noticed something sort of interesting. According to the list of characters, one is a Captain Carrie Farris.

I don't know if that's accurate or a misspelling, but if the latter I wonder if it could end up being Carol Ferris and they're wanting to drop in some non-Superman DC comics characters into this movie as a sort of easter egg or the first sign that they are laying in the groundwork for other films ala the Phase One stuff from Marvel.

A good Green Lantern film would be fantastic.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

mind the walrus posted:

As an adopted kid I almost take offense to this line of reasoning.

1. He was raised to be Clark Kent. We know this based on the trailer.

2. Learning you're adopted doesn't retroactively erase who you were or identified with.

3. Adopting another identity doesn't erase that either.

Like seriously this is humanity 101-type stuff. Why are so many people so retarded about it?

Lmao can you really gripe about that, and then say "retarded" in the same post?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Can you really make a reasonable critique of another person's use of a pejorative when you use "Lmao" unironically?

The answer is-- who gives a poo poo. My point is sound and you're an rear end in a top hat for nitpicking as a means to undermine it.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

mind the walrus posted:

Can you really make a reasonable critique of another person's use of a pejorative when you use "Lmao" unironically?

The answer is-- who gives a poo poo. My point is sound and you're an rear end in a top hat for nitpicking as a means to undermine it.

Something tells me you're still struggling with your identity issues

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You'd be wrong there, although that's a fair shot. Got anything substantial or on-topic to add or are you just here to be a dick?

On the note of casting-- I really doubt anyone named Farris would be a "world-building" casting choice. If Time-Warner wants to try to ape Marvel Studios then odds are good they won't be silent or subtle about it.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

If they want to do worldbuilding, they need to take a page from the animated series and give someone at the Planet a throwaway line about "that nut from Gotham".

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm trying to figure out where WB goes next with a shared universe at this point. It seems like they need to start getting scripts put out there and films developed pretty soon or else they'll be rebooting Superman, again, by the time they start getting other franchises off the ground.

It might be sort of interesting, though, if DC didn't do a Batman reboot and instead focused on just throw in about 2-5 minutes per movie to where we hear/see there is some mention of a 'Batman' and Gotham for about 3-5 movies, blurry Youtube footage, newspaper articles, tabloid headlines, conspiracy sites, talk shows, etc. Through the course of the films we sort of see more and more of this unknown figure. Batman is viewed as an urban legend even among the leads of the other films.

After a number of films, maybe he finally fully premieres in the JLA movie or the post-credits scene of the last movie prior to a JLA movie after all these hints and build up. When he finally emerges it's to the excitement of the audiences and the disbelief of the other films' heroes.

This could sort of let us get the modern unbeatable Batman coming out of nowhere right off the bat, but with hints that he's been there the whole time out of everyone's sight.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I hope they don't do a shared universe. A shared universe would not only force DCs movies to follow a shared visual style, but a shared thematic mold as well. You wouldn't be able to have a unique movies that play to the strengths of the characters, you would only have one generic theme so they can all fit together. Marvel's movies are so drat generic. DC should go the opposite way and have each franchise totally separate (which is what they're doing so far). If they did a crossover between Nolan's Batman and Snyder's Superman, for example, I can only picture it ending up like that ridiculous CSI Miami episode where Horatio was glowing orange and Sinise, who was dull grey. Man of Steel is looking really interesting because they don't have to take the shared universe into account. And I disliked Dark Knight and hated Dark Knight Rises, but at least they're more interesting than any of Marvel's movies.

If they end up doing a Justice League movie then they could just have all new actors and an independent storyline and make it clear it's separate.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Make the JLA movie The New Frontier, bam, don't have to worry about mixing up with the independent hero films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

McSpanky posted:

Make the JLA movie The New Frontier, bam, don't have to worry about mixing up with the independent hero films.

DC Animated did that already. It wasn't very good.

• Locked thread