Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Captain Vittles posted:

Yeah, I was happy to discover the monsters were mind-numbingly easy. It still sucks on principle, though, especially since those big AP gains apparently don't count when you're a toad.

In FFIII, you only had to be a toad to go into the door to that area. Once you were in, you could cancel Toad just fine. Maybe FFD's dungeon works like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Veks posted:

So anyone wanna bet the S stands for social :v:

Screw you SE, you said you were done with this crap. Where's War of the Lions for Android? :mad:

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Krad posted:

Screw you SE, you said you were done with this crap. Where's War of the Lions for Android? :mad:

Personally I'm just surprised that they're going with another Mobage game not a year and a half after Brigade, which is still pretty beastly in the player count over in Japan (3million+, as opposed to the roughly 10-15k the worldwide release has seen).

theonlypie314SA
Mar 19, 2013

It sure is a social game. Here is some more info on it from Siliconera:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/25/square-enix-turned-final-fantasy-tactics-into-a-social-game/

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Siliconera posted:

If you sign up for the game before it launches you will get a character from the Final Fantasy series as a present. Wait… is that Agrias Oaks from the original Final Fantasy Tactics?

Man, that just strikes me as a slap in the face to fans of the original FFT. "Yeah, we know the original FFT is popular enough that a minor character from that game would be a compelling reason to sign up for our new game. That's why we're putting out another kiddy simplistic version of the game that no one asked for. Also, it's a Social game so gently caress everyone that's not Japan."

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Schwartzcough posted:

Man, that just strikes me as a slap in the face to fans of the original FFT. "Yeah, we know the original FFT is popular enough that a minor character from that game would be a compelling reason to sign up for our new game. That's why we're putting out another kiddy simplistic version of the game that no one asked for. Also, it's a Social game so gently caress everyone that's not Japan."

Jesus this series is just so loving gross now. Weird that Final Fantasy has turned from a name associated with uncommonly good and painstaking presentation (art, music, etc.) in games, into this humiliated skinnerbox poo poo. Dimensions may be a "real game" at least compared to ATB but it would have been a little bit disappointing in like 1993, never mind twenty years later, you know?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
I'm about to start playing 9 for the first time ever, and it's been a long time since I played through a JRPG so I may be a little rusty, but I think I'll get my groove back pretty quickly. I'm going to try to see as much of the game (if not all of it) that I can in one go, but is there anything I need to be aware of before I go in? Any advice of any type?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Red Baron posted:

I'm about to start playing 9 for the first time ever, and it's been a long time since I played through a JRPG so I may be a little rusty, but I think I'll get my groove back pretty quickly. I'm going to try to see as much of the game (if not all of it) that I can in one go, but is there anything I need to be aware of before I go in? Any advice of any type?

One of the good things about FF9 is that there is hardly any missable items that are unique and practically no content that you can miss, but if even if the small stuff bothers you then I recommend performing the search "FF9 missable items" and see if there is anything which concerns you. The only two pieces of content which come to mind is racing Hippaul and the jump rope mini games. So, look those up and decide whether or not you care. There is equipment which is not unique that you can miss out on getting early and that equipment does sometimes allow you learn certain abilities early as well. Only a guide will help you avoid that though.

Mostly, just enjoy it without worry. :)

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
My friend always bitches that you need to save your beginning of the game equipment in 9 because there's a dungeon where all the weapon stats get flipped so what's bad is good and what's good is bad or something?? I have no idea what he's talking about because I hate hate hated 9 and so never got that far.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I have no idea what he's talking about either and I love 9.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Endorph posted:

I have no idea what he's talking about either and I love 9.

There's a dungeon later on where weapons with low stats will do more damage than weapons with high stats. You don't even need to save up your old gear, though, because there's a merchant nearby that sells that stuff.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

There's Ispen's Castle or whatever it's called where the weaker a weapon was the stronger it was. I think it's where you get the mirrors? There's also synthesis in disk 4 that requires equipment in disc 1 that most players probably sold long before the endgame and you can't get anymore of iirc. Several areas become blocked off once you reach disc 4 too but I'm not sure if they are places of any consequence.

This is all from memory of a game I haven't played for nearly a decade and probably third hand information so take it with a grain of salt.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Epi Lepi posted:

My friend always bitches that you need to save your beginning of the game equipment in 9 because there's a dungeon where all the weapon stats get flipped so what's bad is good and what's good is bad or something?? I have no idea what he's talking about because I hate hate hated 9 and so never got that far.

There is that, but it's also so easy that it's really easy to stumble through it going "why are all my attacks doing 5 damage!? :attacks for 3 turns, everything dies:" where it just seems like some easy enemies have weird scaled up armor or something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't even notice that gimmick, I just spammed magic.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Calaveron posted:

There's a dungeon later on where weapons with low stats will do more damage than weapons with high stats. You don't even need to save up your old gear, though, because there's a merchant nearby that sells that stuff.
Also it doesn't flip the strength of spells and abilities, and most of the enemies there either use instant death magic (Ahrimans) or move super slow or not at all (Agares and Gargoyle, Tonberries). Just go in guns blazing, you should have enough MP by that point to sustain the entire trip.

GreatRedSpirit posted:

There's Ispen's Castle or whatever it's called where the weaker a weapon was the stronger it was. I think it's where you get the mirrors? There's also synthesis in disk 4 that requires equipment in disc 1 that most players probably sold long before the endgame and you can't get anymore of iirc. Several areas become blocked off once you reach disc 4 too but I'm not sure if they are places of any consequence.
Yeah, you need an Air Racket from South Gate for one of the synths in the Black Mage Village on disc 4 and... I think that's it, actually. You need Silver Gauntlets to make the Save the Queen, I guess? You can't even eqiup it. Off the top of my head, the only missables are the Air Racket for Scan, the Octagon Rod for the -aga spells, the cofffees, and Jogging Queen. Jump Rope King isn't missable, just impossible to get.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 26, 2013

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

The important thing to know about FF9 is to steal things. Steal from every enemy, all the time. Zidane gets an attack called Thievery that scales with the number of thefts you've committed, it's cheap and can do a ton of damage but grinding it up is a pain if you haven't been using steal at all before you get it.

As a bonus, you'll never have to buy potions, ethers or status cures, and you can get some nice gear early from bosses.

Also ignore the card game, it sucks

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Suaimhneas posted:

I liked it. :colbert:

But since this began with someone new to the game asking questions, I will say that it is entirely unnecessary. You do not get anything for participating in the card game which is used in any other part of the game so if you enjoy the game itself or the pokemon "gotta catch'em all" feeling it might create then have a blast. Otherwise, you can safely ignore it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

I didn't even notice that gimmick, I just spammed magic.

Have Vivi, will travel.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Red Baron posted:

The Chocobo Hot & Cold minigame is great and is a fairly consistent source of nice/rare equipment as you progress through the game. If you enjoy it it's well worth trying to get all the treasures it offers

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I actually grinded the Robe of Lords as early as possible playing Chocobo Hot & Cold once. I will NEVER do that again but holy crap..Vivi was invincible.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Suaimhneas posted:

The important thing to know about FF9 is to steal things. Steal from every enemy, all the time. Zidane gets an attack called Thievery that scales with the number of thefts you've committed, it's cheap and can do a ton of damage but grinding it up is a pain if you haven't been using steal at all before you get it.

As a bonus, you'll never have to buy potions, ethers or status cures, and you can get some nice gear early from bosses.

On the other hand the Steal rate in FFIX seems to be painfully bad. I never bothered with Steal that much but I've seen plenty of vids on YouTube of people who spent several times longer trying to steal the items they want from a boss than they do actually beating said boss.

I have a lot of patience for level and ability grinding but dragging out boss fights like that is not only mind-numbingly tedious, it really hammers home how easy the game is.

I wanted to maybe try this difficulty patch called Final Fantasy IX Unleashed but I 'unno. The vanilla game is easy but the mod might still be too hard for me.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

On the other hand the Steal rate in FFIX seems to be painfully bad. I never bothered with that garbage but I've seen plenty of vids on YouTube of people who spent several times longer trying to steal the items they want from a boss than they do actually beating said boss.

I have a lot of patience for level and ability grinding but dragging out boss fights like that is not only mind-numbingly tedious, it really hammers home how easy the game is.

I wanted to maybe try this difficulty patch called Final Fantasy IX Unleashed but I 'unno. The vanilla game is easy but the mod might still be too hard for me.

The Bandit passive skill greatly improves your chances and you get it really early on (if you're stealing things that is)

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Xavier434 posted:

I actually grinded the Robe of Lords as early as possible playing Chocobo Hot & Cold once. I will NEVER do that again but holy crap..Vivi was invincible.

Ha, I didn't even mean stuff like that, just the stuff you can get from chocographs. I never bothered getting enough points for the Robe of Lords, even after completing the sidequest I was always nowhere near it

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The Bandit passive skill greatly improves your chances and you get it really early on (if you're stealing things that is)

Yeah this helps a lot. Even with all of the skills which increase steal success rate the rarest steal on monsters (especially bosses) can still be very painful, but that is only useful if you want to min/max throughout the entire game. No need for that if your intent is to power up Thievery.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

On the other hand the Steal rate in FFIX seems to be painfully bad. I never bothered with Steal that much but I've seen plenty of vids on YouTube of people who spent several times longer trying to steal the items they want from a boss than they do actually beating said boss.
Hilgigars is the first boss to have an item in the 1/256 steal slot, which is of course completely bullshit. Fortunately, the next time you meet a boss with a 1/256 steal, knowledgeable players will have Master Thief, which bumps the 1/256 chance up to a 1/32.

Stealing from normal enemies, though? I think the common item is a 1/16 chance without Master Thief, and unlike FF4DS, FF9 actually rolls to hit every steal slot and gives you the hardest rarity you succeeded at. Its steal formula is never 100% like some games where it bases your success on your level vs. the target's level, but I can't complain about one with a steal formula that generous if you're just grinding Thievery. Unless you run into a lot of enemies, Thievery is probably gonna clock in at around 5000 damage by the earliest time you can learn it. Certainly not a bad place to be if you go by the rule of thumb of "steal at least one item from each enemy in every random encounter."

The only thing Bandit does is it sets Steal's hit rate to 100%, changed from some weird formula involving your Spirit, level, and the target's level (FF9 does have two layers of Steal working or not). At least that way you're always guaranteed to roll against all the drops.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 26, 2013

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Xavier434 posted:

One of the good things about FF9 is that there is hardly any missable items that are unique and practically no content that you can miss, but if even if the small stuff bothers you then I recommend performing the search "FF9 missable items" and see if there is anything which concerns you.
Mind you, if you do that you're going to come across reference to the Excalibur II, and while that is both the best sword in the game and missable, I wouldn't bother with it on my first time around. The requirement - reach a certain point late in the game within 12 hours - seems managable but you really need to know the game very well and be fine with rushing through it, skipping sidequests and even cutscenes, to attempt it.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

My Lovely Horse posted:

Mind you, if you do that you're going to come across reference to the Excalibur II, and while that is both the best sword in the game and missable, I wouldn't bother with it on my first time around. The requirement - reach a certain point late in the game within 12 hours - seems managable but you really need to know the game very well and be fine with rushing through it, skipping sidequests and even cutscenes, to attempt it.

Not to mention it being literally impossible if you're playing the 50Hz PAL version of the game :suicide:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Suaimhneas posted:

Not to mention it being literally impossible if you're playing the 50Hz PAL version of the game :suicide:

It's difficult (well, even more so than usual, that is), but it's been done. The issue is that in the PAL version, you have to get there in 10 hours rather than 12.

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 26, 2013

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Saigyouji posted:

It's difficult (well, even more so than usual, that is), but it's been done. The issue is that in the PAL version, you have to get there in 10 hours rather than 12.
Is it possible without cutscene skips? I clocked in at 11:53 when I did it without any skips and it was close as hell, and that's with the two "extra" hours from the proper framerate.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

My Lovely Horse posted:

Can you even accomplish this with the psn version of the game? Didn't you have to skip cutscenes or something by opening the ps1's cover so that you would have enough time to even get it in the first place?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
According to Speed Demos Archive, it's possible to beat the entire game in under 9 hours.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

NikkolasKing posted:

If you are a huge fan of FF9, you might like Final Fantasy IX Unleashed. Parts of it are fun. Because the difficulty is generally high, dungeon-trekking is a lot more intense and tactical. However, because some enemy encounters are just too difficult to beat, you'll end up running a lot which is only an option if someone has Flee. Regular running is not an option because it takes too long forever. The abilities heroes can learn from equipment have been switched around, so Vivi gets Return Magic very early in the game and there's a lot of strategy to that with some of the early boss battles.

The big problem with FF9U is thatsometimes it's just too hard and because the game frequently shuts off areas from you or takes away party members there's very little you can do about it. One big "I quit" moment was the fight in Alexandria Castle where Freya and Beatrix have to take on two Bandersnatchs. The Bandersnatches were too strong and could kill off the two heroes in no time at all. I had to retry over and over and because I wasn't using save states, testing out new strategies was extremely frustrating. If you're not careful, you can dig yourself into a corner because party members will drop in and out of your team and when you finally do get them back, you might be immediately faced with a difficult battle and it's a special kind of frustration when you have to fight a hard battle with a party member you haven't used in awhile with limited equipment and shopping options and no way of grinding to get stronger.

The Hilgigars battle is incredibly difficult with no reasonable means of dealing damage. I had to exploit Lucky Seven in order to kill him.

FF9's battles are already slow and awkward and adding in crazy difficulty is more frustrating than interesting. You could tolerate the slow and awkward battles of vanilla FF9 because it was so easy you never had to worry about those half-second delays before and after each character took his/her turn (this was a huge problem with Hilgigars), but when you add in actual difficulty to the battles, it's too frustrating.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Miracon posted:

In FFIII, you only had to be a toad to go into the door to that area. Once you were in, you could cancel Toad just fine. Maybe FFD's dungeon works like that?

You can't, unfortunately. The guest character you get has perma-Toad for his entire arc, too, but that doesn't matter since it doesn't seem to affect his stats.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Azure_Horizon posted:

You can't, unfortunately. The guest character you get has perma-Toad for his entire arc, too, but that doesn't matter since it doesn't seem to affect his stats.

Rockfrog is awesome as hell for the time you have him, yeah. The best part about his perma-Toad status is what's in his default equipment:

If FFD had a competent story this would be a neat bit of conveyance but instead it's just amusing and a little sad. :shepface:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Eggie posted:

If you are a huge fan of FF9, you might like Final Fantasy IX Unleashed. Parts of it are fun. Because the difficulty is generally high, dungeon-trekking is a lot more intense and tactical. However, because some enemy encounters are just too difficult to beat, you'll end up running a lot which is only an option if someone has Flee. Regular running is not an option because it takes too long forever. The abilities heroes can learn from equipment have been switched around, so Vivi gets Return Magic very early in the game and there's a lot of strategy to that with some of the early boss battles.

The big problem with FF9U is thatsometimes it's just too hard and because the game frequently shuts off areas from you or takes away party members there's very little you can do about it. One big "I quit" moment was the fight in Alexandria Castle where Freya and Beatrix have to take on two Bandersnatchs. The Bandersnatches were too strong and could kill off the two heroes in no time at all. I had to retry over and over and because I wasn't using save states, testing out new strategies was extremely frustrating. If you're not careful, you can dig yourself into a corner because party members will drop in and out of your team and when you finally do get them back, you might be immediately faced with a difficult battle and it's a special kind of frustration when you have to fight a hard battle with a party member you haven't used in awhile with limited equipment and shopping options and no way of grinding to get stronger.

The Hilgigars battle is incredibly difficult with no reasonable means of dealing damage. I had to exploit Lucky Seven in order to kill him.

FF9's battles are already slow and awkward and adding in crazy difficulty is more frustrating than interesting. You could tolerate the slow and awkward battles of vanilla FF9 because it was so easy you never had to worry about those half-second delays before and after each character took his/her turn (this was a huge problem with Hilgigars), but when you add in actual difficulty to the battles, it's too frustrating.

Yeah I already decided to pass on that. FFIX is a good game but I've kinda lost my old hard-on for it.

I'm just gonna rreplay Xenogears. (I have a problem, i know.)

Speaking of which, I was reflecting on old Square games and how the general view of Square has seriously declined since I got the internet ten years ago. Back then everyone loved the company as they were responsible for putting out some of the most beloved games in what you might call "the golden age of JRPGs". FF was part of it of course but there's also Chrono Trigger, Parasite Eve, Super Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, and probably a ton more.

Anyway, it made me curious to ask people in this thread something.

If you were to rank your favorite Squaresoft/Enix games, how many of them would be Final Fantasy's? Like, for me, it would be:
1 Xenogears
2. Final Fantasy XII
3. Final Fantasy IX
4. Final Fantasy IV
5. Final Fantasy X

(FF dominates my list but that's probably because I have yet to play a lot of Square's other classics)

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
My top 5 would also probably be FF games + Xenogears. They are some of my favourite games ever though, and ones I still enjoy replaying. I am also too young and European to have played all the SNES classics when they came out

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy VII
Valkyrie Profile
Star Ocean 2
Terranigma

I like games that aren't traditional RPGs I guess. You can replace any of those with Chrono Trigger, my main concerns are storyline and replay value.

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 28, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Anyway, it made me curious to ask people in this thread something.

If you were to rank your favorite Squaresoft/Enix games, how many of them would be Final Fantasy's? Like, for me, it would be:
1 Xenogears
2. Final Fantasy XII
3. Final Fantasy IX
4. Final Fantasy IV
5. Final Fantasy X

(FF dominates my list but that's probably because I have yet to play a lot of Square's other classics)

I don't think there would be a single Final Fantasy on my list if you counted published games too.

All three Valkyrie Profiles, The Dragon Quest games, the Soulblazer games, the Ogre games, Actraiser, EVO, Deus Ex:HR, Tomb Raider, the Front Mission franchise...

I mean seriously, even if you restricted it JUST to the SNES, I'd still pick the Dragon Quest games, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, E.V.O, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, Soulblazer and a bunch of other stuff over the SNES Final Fantasy games.

If you restricted it to the PS1?
Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean Second Story, Front Mission 3, Parasite Eve, Xenogears, Vagrant Story...

Playstation 2?
Robot Alchemic Drive, Valkyrie Profile Silmeria, Dragon Quest VIII, probably even the Kingdom Hearts games would rank a bit higher for me if you counted the Final Mixes, although the PS2 is the only one where it's even close.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 28, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The best Square game is Cruise Chaser Blasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Illusion of Gaia will always have a special place in my heart for basically being my first contact with JRPG's. The copy belonged to my dad. He even wore the t-shirt!

It helps that it still has great music, even today.