Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Zeether posted:

Guys, it's totally cool, Rocco from Mega64 got his OOYEAH and is enjoying it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwz44_L76eo
Of course he goes for the big three approved corporate title. Perhaps if this slave to capitalism had tried one of the GUEVARA's fine retropixel 2D platformer zombie shooters it would have downloaded immediately!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Thank you for believing that the download is working.

Your gaming experience has been revolutionized.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
When this thing fails I wonder how much blame Julie will try to shift onto the reviewers and consumers.

The whole 'It died because you talked bad about it!' seems really common in games industry.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Uncle Jam posted:

When this thing fails I wonder how much blame Julie will try to shift onto the reviewers and consumers.

The whole 'It died because you talked bad about it!' seems really common in games industry.
I'm sure we'll be fed lines about how it was actually "an idea too far ahead of its time," and various other buzz-phrases usually tossed around when something grotesquely overhyped flops.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Zeether posted:

Guys, it's totally cool, Rocco from Mega64 got his OOYEAH and is enjoying it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwz44_L76eo

Rated: Light

What does that even mean?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Wandering Knitter posted:

I think it means that if you play it you'll still have some room left over for another game without feeling bloated and self-loathing?

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Wandering Knitter posted:

The FRESCA folks want even bloated ports to feel good about themselves. Other ratings are things such as "just has big code," "fully featured," and "an armful o' game."

Krinos
Nov 5, 2003

Uncle Jam posted:

A lot. A lot!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

limaCAT posted:

Time for a seriousquestion. Are there studies about IAP games (like Facebook games) or is everyone doing them only because everyone else is doing them? I played few IAP games without spending a single cent, and I would like if actually there is a market other than those "kid buys 5000$ worth of smurfberries on iPhone smurf game".

If you get a game out there that's popular enough and people like enough, then you can make a lot of money. OF course if it's a boring thing people would rather just switch to a new game in favor of, when they hit whatever part of the game requires IAP to go on, well you won't get much.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Install Gentoo posted:

If you get a game out there that's popular enough and people like enough, then you can make a lot of money. OF course if it's a boring thing people would rather just switch to a new game in favor of, when they hit whatever part of the game requires IAP to go on, well you won't get much.

IAP was initially a goldmine that people didn't see coming, but anytime everybody knows something is an easy way to make money, "entrepreneurs" swarm it and split the pot enough that very few people make money. While it is not impossible to make money on iOS/Facebook/Android, it is hardly the money fountain it was near the iOS launch or when Farmville was first created.

On another topic, I'm pretty sure that "RATED: LIGHT" refers to the amount of plays/ratings/shares/playtime metric they want to use. Their idea is that "engagement" (rather than votes) is a better metric of measuring whether a game is good. So more hours = better rated in their system.

Literally every game appears to be "light" right now.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic
That's their equivalent of ESRB rating - instead if "E", "T", and "M", they have "Light", "Moderate", and "Heavy".

OUYA posted:

Light If your game contains any violence, it’s at most light and cartoonish. Your game does not contain any adult language or situations and does not allow access to such content via streaming video or audio. Your game does not allow access to the open web.

Moderate Your game contains moderate use of simulated violence and sparse use of adult language or situations.

Heavy Your game contains heavy use of simulated violence, adult language or situations, or your game allows access to that kind of content via streaming video, audio or the open web.

It's one of the things they check for when reviewing a game, if the developer chose "Light" and then filled the game wth naked furries who rip the hearts out of other characters and eat them to build up enough energy to have sex while streaming the New York Times website in the background.

Aweful Dreams fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 28, 2013

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Aweful Dreams posted:

It's one of the things they check for when reviewing a game, if the developer chose "Light" and then filled the game wth naked furries who rip the hearts out of other characters and eat them to build up enough energy to have sex while streaming the New York Times website in the background.

This was our original kickstarter pitch but during development we found it was easier to make and therefore more fun for you if we stripped it down to just a gif of naked furries having sex. IAP for fur colors.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Aweful Dreams posted:

That's their equivalent of ESRB rating - instead if "E", "T", and "M", they have "Light", "Moderate", and "Heavy".

My mind wants to believe that this is a joke post but then I remember NOTHING about this makes sense.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Wait so if for whatever reason I put access to the web browser in my game it's automatically a HEAVY title if I don't manually block sites or prevent you from accessing any website?

How does this work?

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

XboxPants posted:

I do keep too many tabs open, but the real problem isn't the quantity, it's the type - if I just closed down all the tabs that had video/flash/etc pages running, that'd fix things up for the most part. Anyway, actual content:

Someone made a really nice video running through the OUYA, including the development build of XBMC that he sideloaded onto it (there's no official version available on the OUYA store yet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78XQHex71kg

Honestly, for XBMC, this is a huge redeeming factor. AppleTV and the new Boxee costs $99, but this is far more capable in my opinion (especially after the disaster that is the Boxee Box, even after installing Boxee+). Even if the games are poo poo, I'm glad I'll be able to stream my content in HD :).

pliable fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 28, 2013

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, I've been totally misguided in what I thought XBMC was. I thought it stood for "X-Box Media Center" and it was what connected the Xbox to digital media stores.

This software is perfect for my TV, which is hooked up to my PC, what's known as a pre-ouya setup.Does it have access to digital stores/rentals or is it just access to the files I already have on my computer?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Madcosby posted:

Wow, I've been totally misguided in what I thought XBMC was. I thought it stood for "X-Box Media Center" and it was what connected the Xbox to digital media stores.

This software is perfect for my TV, which is hooked up to my PC, what's known as a pre-ouya setup.Does it have access to digital stores/rentals or is it just access to the files I already have on my computer?

There's a thread on it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531650

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Madcosby posted:

That was the origin of the acronym. It was an open source media application for modded original xboxes.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

pliable posted:

Honestly, for XBMC, this is a huge redeeming factor. AppleTV and the new Boxee costs $99, but this is far more capable in my opinion (especially after the disaster that is the Boxee Box, even after installing Boxee+). Even if the games are poo poo, I'm glad I'll be able to stream my content in HD :).

Android XBMC isn't that good either.

You can buy a Pivos Xios for $120, which actually has a linux build of XBMC for it, is smaller, fanless, comes with a real remote. It's not perfect but it's way better than Android XBMC right now, AND they have actual dedicated people working on the port.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.

Madcosby posted:

I think it started for the xbox then got expanded.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

Crackbone posted:

Android XBMC isn't that good either.

You can buy a Pivos Xios for $120, which actually has a linux build of XBMC for it, is smaller, fanless, comes with a real remote. It's not perfect but it's way better than Android XBMC right now, AND they have actual dedicated people working on the port.

What makes that version better than Android? Isn't Android XBMC using the same basic code base as all other versions? As I understand it the only differences should be hardware speed and support for different hardware capabilities (and they have dedicated people working on the Android port too, they were specifically paid to port XBMC in whole to Android).

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

TaurusOxford posted:

My mind wants to believe that this is a joke post but then I remember NOTHING about this makes sense.

It does in a stupid-logic sort of way. XBLIG rates games on sex/violence/profanity on that scale, one to three dots for each. Naturally here we have it all rolled into one single metric that makes no sense.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

bucketmouse posted:

It does in a stupid-logic sort of way. XBLIG rates games on sex/violence/profanity on that scale, one to three dots for each. Naturally here we have it all rolled into one single metric that makes no sense.

It doesn't really make less sense the standard rating system for games. 95% of games out there are Everyone, Teen or Mature.

Early Childhood, Everyone 10+ and Adults Only exist but they're rarely used or meaningful.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

bucketmouse posted:

They'll at least avoid the weird ratings where games where the hero kisses the girl get a 2 for sex.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Aweful Dreams posted:

What makes that version better than Android? Isn't Android XBMC using the same basic code base as all other versions? As I understand it the only differences should be hardware speed and support for different hardware capabilities

(and they have dedicated people working on the Android port too, they were specifically paid to port XBMC in whole to Android).

It's that support for "different hardware capabilities" that is the big issue (and the implementation of which is often why units like the Pivos, GBox etc. often have their own, non-generic build). The Pivos build provided by Pivos is actually a Linux build because it's more mature, but Pivos hardware *is* the development target for Android XBMC. And yes, they do have dedicated people working on the Android port...because Pivos hired two XBMC devs to work for them, and gave Pivos units to everyone on the XBMC dev team. Ouya also pledged support but in true Ouya style, have absolutely nothing to show for it.

Without fully functional GPU-accelerated decoding, even SD material can stutter and cause problems. And then there are other problems, such as the fact that the Ouya simply can't bistream audio codecs like DTS to your receiver. Team Ouya have said its simply not supported on the hardware.

Right now "generic" Android XBMC, particularly 1080p HW decode, is a crapshoot. Other chipsets require buggy alpha/experimental ("libstagefright") builds, and while the situation is unlikely going to get better, even in mere months, right now if you really want XBMC you're way better off spending $100 on a Pivos (who actually advertise/support/guarantee its XBMC use) or $35 on a Raspberry Pi.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 29, 2013

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

frumpsnake posted:

Without fully functional GPU-accelerated decoding, even SD material can stutter and cause problems. And then there are other problems, such as the fact that the Ouya simply can't bistream audio codecs like DTS to your receiver. Team Ouya have said its simply not supported on the hardware.
Ha! Nintendo did the same stupid thing with the WiiU. This means that you cannot, I repeat, CANNOT, separate out a 5.1 audio stream and send it over a TOSLink connection. It is literally impossible to do. Either your device supports HDMI audio, or it does not.

Lots of OUYA buyers are going to find out that their device cannot output 5.1 audio in a way that their receiver can use.

edit: And let's remember, the only person who has official done anything related to XBMC on OUYA? Me.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

theflyingorc posted:

Ha! Nintendo did the same stupid thing with the WiiU. This means that you cannot, I repeat, CANNOT, separate out a 5.1 audio stream and send it over a TOSLink connection. It is literally impossible to do. Either your device supports HDMI audio, or it does not.

Lots of OUYA buyers are going to find out that their device cannot output 5.1 audio in a way that their receiver can use.

edit: And let's remember, the only person who has official done anything related to XBMC on OUYA? Me.

Where are you reading that the hardware is incapable of outputting 5.1 over HDMI? I've read other people saying they've done so, through uncompressed PCM. People have been saying they can't get bitstream passthrough to work, but that's different, that's sending the compressed signal through to the stereo untouched (and that's not a hardware issue but a firmware issue).

Edit: you are mistaken, part of the xbmc team has been working on OUYA, as seen in this thread:
http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/comment/8230

Aweful Dreams fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 29, 2013

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

Aweful Dreams posted:

Where are you reading that the hardware is incapable of outputting 5.1 over HDMI?
theflyingorc didn't say that. He said "you cannot, I repeat, CANNOT, separate out a 5.1 audio stream and send it over a TOSLink connection....Lots of OUYA buyers are going to find out that their device cannot output 5.1 audio in a way that their receiver can use." Some people's older receivers only accept TOSLink for 5.1, so they don't like when you can't get video over HDMI but audio from TOSLINK.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Aweful Dreams posted:

Where are you reading that the hardware is incapable of outputting 5.1 over HDMI? I've read other people saying they've done so, through uncompressed PCM. People have been saying they can't get bitstream passthrough to work, but that's different, that's sending the compressed signal through to the stereo untouched (and that's not a hardware issue but a firmware issue).

Edit: you are mistaken, part of the xbmc team has been working on OUYA, as seen in this thread:
http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/comment/8230

Why do people who support OUYA have such trouble reading? It can output something, but a lot of receivers are really fussy about this. The thread even says that the support ticket mentions it will be handled in a 'future release' of the OUYA, whether that means a firmware or a hardware iteration is unclear.

I feel bad for the XBMC guys, they've done more work on the OUYA than the actual OUYA team at this point.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

frumpsnake posted:

And then there are other problems, such as the fact that the Ouya simply can't bistream audio codecs like DTS to your receiver. Team Ouya have said its simply not supported on the hardware.

Wow. How do you manage to not have that? That's loving stupid and doesn't make any se.. oh right OUYA

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

It's highly likely it is capable and Ouya team don't know what they're doing / XBMC haven't had time, but the fact remains like everything Ouya, details about their level of sponsorship, support, compatibility, etc. are vague and unanswered.

Meanwhile the Gamestick guys have a partnership with Pivos and thus actual paid developers behind their XBMC port. Which one would you back?
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/189245/PlayJam_Forms_Alliance_with_Pivos_to_Bring_XBMC_support_toGameStick.php

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 29, 2013

Doctor Doctor
May 25, 2009

"I'm not a hero, I'm just an old killer"
The GameStick and OOOHBABY situation is quickly becoming an episode of Goofus and Gallant.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

luncheon meat posted:

Wow. How do you manage to not have that? That's loving stupid and doesn't make any se.. oh right OUYA

Nintendo did the exact same thing with the WiiU. Nintendo has also said the chip literally doesn't support it, so I'd expect the same on the OUYA.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

Bionic posted:

theflyingorc didn't say that. He said "you cannot, I repeat, CANNOT, separate out a 5.1 audio stream and send it over a TOSLink connection....Lots of OUYA buyers are going to find out that their device cannot output 5.1 audio in a way that their receiver can use." Some people's older receivers only accept TOSLink for 5.1, so they don't like when you can't get video over HDMI but audio from TOSLINK.
You're right, I missed that. Makes sense that the OUYA can't send 5.1 over TOSLINK...because it doesn't have an optical port :). It's HDMI only.

Uncle Jam posted:

Why do people who support OUYA have such trouble reading? It can output something, but a lot of receivers are really fussy about this. The thread even says that the support ticket mentions it will be handled in a 'future release' of the OUYA, whether that means a firmware or a hardware iteration is unclear.

I feel bad for the XBMC guys, they've done more work on the OUYA than the actual OUYA team at this point.

Heh, love your ironic first statement, aside from the fact that I don't particularly support OUYA. The link I posted had nothing at all to do with output, it was talking about HDMI-CEC, which would let you use your TV's remote control to control XBMC. And they specifically say in that thread that the hardware *does* support it, since that was specifically what was asked in the first post.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

XboxPants posted:

The "Actual" line definitely has been changed, though. The change is completely explainable and only a little shady, but the explanation is lengthy so I'm going to put that in another post.

If the vast majority of those OUYAs are still in the mail, they'e not really going to be impacting the download numbers.

(also where did you get 28,689? 32% of 57k is 17k)

XBP and Aweful what evidence do we have that Ouyas are being produced from a factory? I'll throw up another graph in the morning but as of right now it looks to me like team OUYA made another test run of 20-200 (with a yellow d-pad, the hardware is baked) and is shipping those to backers.

Is OUYA shipping now shows 30 received units. We are over 1/2 way into the shipping timeline and they might have delivered 1.52%.

50%/1.52% = lairs.

If they had 5000 units on container ships why not say that? If they have a factory full of people packing the products why not show it. When you spend millions of dollars with a factory they will send real figures and pictures of the process occurring even without feet literally on the ground.

There is still 0 evidence that factory production has begun.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Doctor Doctor posted:

The GameStick and OOOHBABY situation is quickly becoming an episode of Goofus and Gallant.

It always was, the Gamestick had a real prototype, plan, and a website before the kickstarter. The OUYA just had a marketing video of people rubbing wood.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

Aweful Dreams posted:

Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh.
It doesn't make sense, because the topic wasn't "why doesn't the OUYA have an optical out?" It was "why doesn't the OUYA support DTS passthrough, which allows someone whose receiver does not support 5.1-over-HDMI to run an HDMI cable from OUYA to TV, then have the TV pass through the 5.1 sound over optical to their receiver?" My receiver accepts 5.1 over HDMI, so it doesn't matter to me, but it does matter to other people. I doubt many OUYA purchasers are going to notice if their sound isn't 5.1, frankly.

A nice OUYA review, (if you can stand to listen past the first five seconds of him talking).

quote:

I don't know why I bought a beta OUYA, but I did, apparently.

A surprisingly measured approach to the console. He likes it as a set-top box and emulator console, thinks the store is poo poo, and seems to think the only good OUYA game out is FF3. He is, for some reason, under the impression that the emulators on the OUYA store are official apps that will let you buy a Pokemon ROM and have it pay 100% of the profits to Nintendo. From the video, it looked like the emulator has an internal storefront for original games that run on emulators, but there is a 0% chance that you can buy Pokemon Red through an emulator on OUYA.

Bionic fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 29, 2013

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Aweful Dreams posted:

You're right, I missed that. Makes sense that the OUYA can't send 5.1 over TOSLINK...because it doesn't have an optical port :). It's HDMI only.

Heh, love your ironic first statement, aside from the fact that I don't particularly support OUYA. The link I posted had nothing at all to do with output, it was talking about HDMI-CEC, which would let you use your TV's remote control to control XBMC. And they specifically say in that thread that the hardware *does* support it, since that was specifically what was asked in the first post.

If the link you posted has nothing to do with audio output then why did you post it to counter an argument about audio output? This thread is like a memory hole jesus.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Aweful Dreams posted:

No you dummy. It can't even be split and sent over a TOSlink.

Normally, I'd suggest someone buy a device if they only have HDMI passthrough to split the audio and video signals down two cables. This CANNOT be done with the OUYA (or the WiiU, I learned when I bought mine), because TOSLink connections do not have enough bandwidth to send unencrypted 5.1 audio down. They simply cannot do it.

Basically, if you have a newer audio receiver, you'll be fine. However, older equipment (and by older, I mean most equipment manufactured more than 2 years ago) WILL NOT WORK when trying to send 5.1 audio.

Here is a list of solutions to this problem for the consumer:

1. Buy a new Audio Receiver that supports HDMI decoding (NOT passthrough)
2. There is no option 2 to hear 5.1 audio on the OUYA

I was mad when Nintendo did it (it was ridiculous), and there's no surprise that OUYA did the same thing, because they aren't going to pay for any licensing. In fact, they probably literally can't afford to let you download anything from the store that supports playback of any non-open source audio or video codecs...which might actually make XBMC unable to upload to the store, depending on how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Yeah, the lack of TOSlink on the Ouya itself isn't the only issue -- no bitstreaming means you also can't send the DTS or Dolby stream over HDMI to something that *does* have an SPDIF port, whether its a TV or something like this.

And yes, the Wii U situation is real lovely -- not just the fact that your multichannel options are LPCM over HDMI or nothing -- but Netflix etc. can't deliver 5.1 audio like they do on the 360 and PS3 because Nintendo never licensed the Wii U to decode Dolby, so not only can it not bitstream it can't take a DD+ stream & decode it to 5.1 LPCM.

When it comes to the Ouya, they "don't know" about bitstreaming (XBMC devs say it should be able to, Ouya says it can't...yet? ever? Hardware? Software?), and when it comes to decoding, the Tegra 3 doesn't support it in hardware, and while it's capable of doing so in software, the codecs need to be licensed.

Open source stuff like XBMC usually gets away without licensing somehow, but this *is* an issue (several iOS and Android players have lost their AC3 and/or DTS decoding capabilities due to licensing issues...and often the 'solution' on Android is to throw in an 'obtained' shared library to enable it) so Ouya will likely have to either pay a licensing fee or require you to wink-wink sideload it rather than putting it in their store.

• Locked thread